Start by marking “Paddington Abroad” as Want to Read:
Paddington Abroad

Paddington Abroad

(Paddington Bear #4)

The classic novel—now available on audio!

The Browns are going on holiday to France, and Paddington is in charge of the “eyetinnery.” He has the whole trip planned down to the last marmalade sandwich, but somehow he takes the family far off the beaten path. With Paddington in charge, one should always plan on the unexpected!

First published in 1961, Paddington Abroad is the
Audiobook, 3 pages
Published October 25th 2016 by HarperFestival (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Paddington Abroad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paddington Abroad

Start your review of Paddington Abroad
Paul E. Morph
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More crazy Paddington capers as the Brown family go on holiday to France. I've only given this one four stars, instead of the usual five for Paddington books, as there are a couple of parts where the author completely skips over stuff that would have been great to actually 'see' happen, most notably at the airport; I felt a bit ripped-off by that time skip!

Still, it's all worth it for the final chapter where our intrepid young bear decides he wants to take part in the Tour de France. Hilarious!
Sheila Beaumont
More fun with Paddington, as he and the Brown family go on holiday to France. My favorite part of this book is when Paddington rides a tricycle in the Tour de France, a tricycle he has taken apart, cleaned, and reassembled himself. Unfortunately, there are a couple of parts left over after he puts it back together. But he sets off on the trike (with marmalade sandwich in its basket), and it turns out that the brakes won't work without the missing parts. But, as usual with Paddington, everything ...more
Gerry
Jan 19, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paddington Brown the bear is a delightful character and in this volume Peggy Fortnum produces some absolutely charming illustrations, particularly of Paddington throwing a fit in his beret when people gather round him and think he is an onion bear and also when he is drinking cocoa from a bucket and when he is whizzing along on a tricycle!

To get to all that action, the Browns are going on holiday so Paddington makes his own arrangements, going to the library, chatting with Mr Gruber to get a fee
A.E. Shaw
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012

Something I picked up to read before bed, short chapters, so low effort, and I used to love the Paddington stories when I was little. I'm very gratified to find that I still love them just as much, and that they're written in such a way as to be just as delightful and entertaining to adults as to children. Also, the illustrations are an infinite joy. I look forward to catching up with all the other Paddington books.
Simone
May 05, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just love a good Paddington story. He is so enthusiastic about trying new adventures and this time he goes on his first holiday to France with the Brown family. You know he is going to get up to so much unintentional mischief. Such a fun read.
Illiterate
Paddington is better at home, where his adventures poke fun at postwar stuffiness and officialdom.
vi macdonald
Apr 01, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I know this isn't how I'm "supposed" to approach this text, or whatever, but re-reading the Paddington books for the first time since childhood I can't stop myself from having intrusive thoughts about colonialism, the construction of whiteness, and the weird internal (for the lack of a better term) 'racial' politics of Europe (and England and 'English' identity in particular).

As books in themselves they're perfectly serviceable (albeit somewhat mediocre) pieces of children's fiction, but I'm ge
Christina Stind
This is the fourth book in the Paddington series and although I really liked it, it wasn't quite as good as the first three. However, if I had read this one as the second book about our little friend from the Darkest Peru, it would probably have gotten more stars. The thing is, by now you are used to Paddington getting in all the trouble possible to get into. So even though this book is about Paddington going to France, there isn't much new in it.

Still - it is amusing to read about Paddington pr
Rosemary Sullivan
Oh, it is so much fun to go on vacation with Paddington! There's never a dull moment. He loves to try new things and has such a zest for life. His plans go awry, but it's okay because Paddington is a bear who always lands on his paws.

In this book we go with him to France. It is not bustling Paris, which I am more familiar with from pop culture, but Brittany, on the northwest coast of the country. Paddington's adventures take place in the rugged, beautiful countryside of that region. He cooks ove
Sem
Reading this again after many years made me realise how much Paddington influenced me, or perhaps how receptive I was to Paddington because I was already like him - a reader of maps, a lover of doings lists and itineraries, a connoisseur of marmalade, a giver of hard stares, and a wearer of duffel coats. What I love most about these books, aside from the wonderfully dynamic illustrations by Peggy Fortnum - Paddington's tricycle running away with him in the Tour de France is a peak moment - is th ...more
Fi's Journey
I'm really enjoying the Paddington books. This series is full of adventures, misadventures and humour! I love most animal stories and Paddington is cute, fun and full of life. Definitely recommend this series to younger audiences. ...more
Sandra
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was fun as always :)
Of course
Jade
Jan 17, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For me, a Paddington story is perfect for when I need a quick pick me up. Will be working my way through the rest of the series in 2021. Full of nostalgia.
Izzie
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These help me fall asleep, quality content👌🏻
Becca
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much a favourite bear
Lots of laughter
Paula
I think Paddington is my soulmate, he like to do lists as well.
Mar 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paddington's adventures continue, with one subtle difference. After three books of Paddington misunderstanding the basic day-to-day life of post-war Britain, most of this book is taken up with the Browns' holiday in France. For the first time, the child reader misses out on much of the vicarious pleasure of being "ahead" of Paddington, and Michael Bond seems to try and compensate by making his little calamities overly simplistic and even stereotyped. It's all as gentle and sweet as usual but som ...more
Mark
Another collection of the (mis)adventures of Paddington Bear. This time, the running theme of the book is Paddington's first family holiday with the Browns over to France. Needless to say, this gives plenty of opportunity for mishaps and confusion along the way (starting with trouble at the airport with Paddington's passport and ending with Paddington inadvertently winning a stage of the Tour De France - with intervening escapades at the local fete and on a yacht sandwiched in between).
As delig
Tara Calaby
The Paddington stories are better suited to unrelated anecdotes than to more closely linked collections like this one. Setting it abroad lessens the appeal even more, because the entire point of him is a bear in a strange country, whereas this book takes all of the Browns to a strange country and something is lost in the process.

Still, there are worse things for little kids to read!
Michelle Butler
We were discussing books to read our 4 yr old at bedtime when my husband discovered I hadn't read any Paddington books. He gave me a very hard stare and sent me straight to his bookshelf. This is 4th in the series and I think it might have been best to start on the 1st one but I still enjoyed it. ...more
Elisabeth Ensor
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such classic books for all ages! I've decided to read more Childrens and YA to find books for my boys to read for homeschooling. This whole series is adorable and the black and white sketches make me want to get all my art supplies out! ...more
Alexander Geronzin
While it is true that this is intended for younger audiences I whole heartedly suggest that people revisit these stories for a shot of simplicity and a brief spot of nostalgia!
Elvin
Sep 26, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seeking inspiration for my own travel book, I figured I'd give this a shot. Plus, the movies made me like this character so I wanted to check out some of the original source material.

Paddington is delightful with his naiveté and innocence. How he gets into trouble is charming. It's a short book so it's suitable for children and quick, enjoyable fun for an adult wanting to tap into his/her inner child.

The humans, especially the family, don't get to do much but be judgmental. Paddington drives th
McKenzie Richardson
For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

Another fantastic Paddington adventure. This is such a fun series. I love reading about all of Paddington's shenanigans. In this book, the Browns go to France and unsurprisingly, things do not go as expected. From rough roads to the Tour de France, Paddington is always sure to delight.

A fun story that proves Paddington can make friends anywhere he goes. Very funny and heartwarming.

Great read.
Arti
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Only Paddington can turn the simplest of every day activity into an adventure - things always happen around him but in his words 'Bears always fall on their feet' and so eventually things turn out better than you would expect!

Every day brings something new... and anything new ends up as an incredible story to enjoy - a visit to the bank, an attempt to setup a tent, a holiday in France... some incidents are more amusing than others but its easy way to take ur mind off daily chores!

Nina
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“That’s the best part of being a bear”, said Paddington. “Things _happen_ to bears.”

I’m half waiting for the moment when I lose interest in these stories, as there are so many, but I’m definitely not there yet! I find the anthropomorphism of Paddington endlessly fascinating - everyone agrees he is unusual, yet no one bats an eyelid - and I think that is part of what makes it so amusing.

As Padingtum’s new French friends said: “Vive le bear!”
Melanie
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What’s not to love about these books? Easy read. Smile and laughter inducing. And by no means just for children. Michael Bond’s writing is perfect for adults too. These particular editions include illustrations by Peggy Fortnum and they are truly gorgeous. When you want an uplifting, quick read that also acts as a palate cleanser for your next reading adventure, give Paddington a try. You won’t regret it.
Mary Beth
The first 3 Paddington Bear books have aged very well. Paddington Abroad has a cute premise (the Brown family & Mrs. Bird take a short holiday to France), but there are some annoying "ew, foreigners" attitudes and an English woman masquerading as a pretty gross "fortune teller" stereotype. Typical for a book published in the '70s? Sure. That doesn't mean it's aged as well as the earlier installments or that I'm going to recommend it. ...more
Lavinia
This book was all of witty, funny, hilarious and hysterical. Paddington's adventures in France had nothing short of uproarious humour - and yet they all seemed so realistic, as though they could really happen, and weren't thought up by Bond in a silly type of fictional way. I am excited to move onto the next book, Paddington at Large! ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Page Number Request 3 16 Sep 26, 2017 11:35AM

• Adèle & Simon
  • The Minpins
  • The Enormous Crocodile
  • The Tailor of Gloucester (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)
  • Another Planet: A Teenager in Suburbia
  • Незнайка в Солнечном Городе
  • Незнайка на Луне
  • Приключения Незнайки
  • Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children, #5)
  • The Tale of Two Bad Mice
  • The Tale of Tom Kitten
  • The Bayou
  • The Monster's Ring
  • Long Story Short (short story collection)
  • The Moffats (The Moffats, #1)
  • Sárán päiväkirja
  • Camp Jupiter Classified: A Probatio's Journal
  • Paddington's Adventures (I Can Read!, Level 1)
See top shelves…
Michael Bond, CBE was an English children's author. He was the creator of Paddington Bear and wrote about the adventures of a guinea pig named Olga da Polga, as well as the animated BBC TV series The Herbs. Bond also wrote culinary mystery stories for adults featuring Monsieur Pamplemousse and his faithful bloodhound, Pommes Frites. ...more

Paddington Bear (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • A Bear Called Paddington (Paddington, #1)
  • More About Paddington (Paddington, #2)
  • Paddington Helps Out (Paddington, #3)
  • Paddington at Large (Paddington, #5)
  • Paddington Marches on (Paddington, #6)
  • Paddington at Work (Paddington, #7)
  • Paddington Goes to Town (Paddington, #8)
  • Paddington Takes the Air (Paddington, #9)
  • Paddington on Top (Paddington, #10)
  • Paddington Takes the Test (Paddington, #11)