Start by marking “Paddington Abroad” as Want to Read:

(Paddington Bear #4)

The classic novelnow available on audio!

The Browns are going on holiday to France, and Paddington is in charge of the eyetinnery. He has the whole trip planned down to the last marmalade sandwich, but somehow he takes the family far off the beaten path. With Paddington in charge, one should always plan on the unexpected!

First published in 1961, Paddington Abroad is the
Audiobook, 3 pages
Published October 25th 2016 by HarperFestival (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Paddington Abroad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paddington Abroad

Start your review of Paddington Abroad
Paul E. Morph
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More crazy Paddington capers as the Brown family go on holiday to France. I've only given this one four stars, instead of the usual five for Paddington books, as there are a couple of parts where the author completely skips over stuff that would have been great to actually 'see' happen, most notably at the airport; I felt a bit ripped-off by that time skip!

Still, it's all worth it for the final chapter where our intrepid young bear decides he wants to take part in the Tour de France. Hilarious!
Sheila Beaumont
More fun with Paddington, as he and the Brown family go on holiday to France. My favorite part of this book is when Paddington rides a tricycle in the Tour de France, a tricycle he has taken apart, cleaned, and reassembled himself. Unfortunately, there are a couple of parts left over after he puts it back together. But he sets off on the trike (with marmalade sandwich in its basket), and it turns out that the brakes won't work without the missing parts. But, as usual with Paddington, everything ...more
A.E. Shaw
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012

Something I picked up to read before bed, short chapters, so low effort, and I used to love the Paddington stories when I was little. I'm very gratified to find that I still love them just as much, and that they're written in such a way as to be just as delightful and entertaining to adults as to children. Also, the illustrations are an infinite joy. I look forward to catching up with all the other Paddington books.
Rosemary Sullivan
Oh, it is so much fun to go on vacation with Paddington! There's never a dull moment. He loves to try new things and has such a zest for life. His plans go awry, but it's okay because Paddington is a bear who always lands on his paws.

In this book we go with him to France. It is not bustling Paris, which I am more familiar with from pop culture, but Brittany, on the northwest coast of the country. Paddington's adventures take place in the rugged, beautiful countryside of that region. He cooks
Christina
This is the fourth book in the Paddington series and although I really liked it, it wasn't quite as good as the first three. However, if I had read this one as the second book about our little friend from the Darkest Peru, it would probably have gotten more stars. The thing is, by now you are used to Paddington getting in all the trouble possible to get into. So even though this book is about Paddington going to France, there isn't much new in it.

Still - it is amusing to read about Paddington
 ☘ Fifi's Journey
I'm really enjoying the Paddington books. This series is full of adventures, misadventures and humour! I love most animal stories and Paddington is cute, fun and full of life. Definitely recommend this series to younger audiences.
Victor The Reader
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-on-kindle
Grade: A-
Izzie
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These help me fall asleep, quality content👌 ...more
Becca
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much a favourite bear
Lots of laughter
Paula
I think Paddington is my soulmate, he like to do lists as well.
Mar 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paddington's adventures continue, with one subtle difference. After three books of Paddington misunderstanding the basic day-to-day life of post-war Britain, most of this book is taken up with the Browns' holiday in France. For the first time, the child reader misses out on much of the vicarious pleasure of being "ahead" of Paddington, and Michael Bond seems to try and compensate by making his little calamities overly simplistic and even stereotyped. It's all as gentle and sweet as usual but ...more
Mark
Another collection of the (mis)adventures of Paddington Bear. This time, the running theme of the book is Paddington's first family holiday with the Browns over to France. Needless to say, this gives plenty of opportunity for mishaps and confusion along the way (starting with trouble at the airport with Paddington's passport and ending with Paddington inadvertently winning a stage of the Tour De France - with intervening escapades at the local fete and on a yacht sandwiched in between).
As
Tara Calaby
The Paddington stories are better suited to unrelated anecdotes than to more closely linked collections like this one. Setting it abroad lessens the appeal even more, because the entire point of him is a bear in a strange country, whereas this book takes all of the Browns to a strange country and something is lost in the process.

Still, there are worse things for little kids to read!
Michelle Butler
We were discussing books to read our 4 yr old at bedtime when my husband discovered I hadn't read any Paddington books. He gave me a very hard stare and sent me straight to his bookshelf. This is 4th in the series and I think it might have been best to start on the 1st one but I still enjoyed it.
Elisabeth Ensor
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such classic books for all ages! I've decided to read more Childrens and YA to find books for my boys to read for homeschooling. This whole series is adorable and the black and white sketches make me want to get all my art supplies out!
Alexander Geronzin
While it is true that this is intended for younger audiences I whole heartedly suggest that people revisit these stories for a shot of simplicity and a brief spot of nostalgia!
Ian Brydon
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the Paddington stories as a child, even though, by the time I was introduced to them in the early 1970s, they were probably already a bit out of date. Indeed, I imagine that they were already rather dated even when they were first published that is one aspect of their charm. Another is the fact that, unlike the recent films (highly entertaining though they are), all the mishaps and adventures that befall Paddington arise from everyday activities. The normality of the context serves to ...more
Arti
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Only Paddington can turn the simplest of every day activity into an adventure - things always happen around him but in his words 'Bears always fall on their feet' and so eventually things turn out better than you would expect!

Every day brings something new... and anything new ends up as an incredible story to enjoy - a visit to the bank, an attempt to setup a tent, a holiday in France... some incidents are more amusing than others but its easy way to take ur mind off daily chores!

McKenzie Richardson
For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

Another fantastic Paddington adventure. This is such a fun series. I love reading about all of Paddington's shenanigans. In this book, the Browns go to France and unsurprisingly, things do not go as expected. From rough roads to the Tour de France, Paddington is always sure to delight.

A fun story that proves Paddington can make friends anywhere he goes. Very funny and heartwarming.

Great read.
Neens Bea
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thats the best part of being a bear, said Paddington. Things _happen_ to bears.

Im half waiting for the moment when I lose interest in these stories, as there are so many, but Im definitely not there yet! I find the anthropomorphism of Paddington endlessly fascinating - everyone agrees he is unusual, yet no one bats an eyelid - and I think that is part of what makes it so amusing.

As Padingtums new French friends said: Vive le bear!
Jo Hurst
I was a little distracted when listening to this so may have missed bits. It didnt feel as good as the others but was still great none the less. Paddington is off to France and as usual with Paddington nothing goes smoothly. I loved his cooking and just adore the love and acceptance that the Browns have for him and how he is. Maybe lessons to be learnt here as well. ...more
Natalia Borisova
Paddington books are always a treat, you treasure them in the moments when you want to return to your childhood or when you just want to elevate your spirits quickly. Paddington Abroad tells us about the adventures of Monseur le Bear in France which are, as always, funny and adorable. Perfect book for a rainy autumn day.
Lavinia
This book was all of witty, funny, hilarious and hysterical. Paddington's adventures in France had nothing short of uproarious humour - and yet they all seemed so realistic, as though they could really happen, and weren't thought up by Bond in a silly type of fictional way. I am excited to move onto the next book, Paddington at Large!
The Mole
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Light and delightful. It reminds me very much of Kenneth Graham's earlier works such as "Golden Age" where we see the world through children's eyes. Paddington is the penultimate child -- never meaning harm, but always finding an adventure!

Splendid and brilliant!
Mary Durrant
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Brown's are going on holiday and Paddington is planning the trip.
Will things go to plan?
Never a dull moment where Paddington is concerned.
Wonderful stories which are still popular with young readers.
I loved it all over again.
Inder
My kids enjoyed this a moderate amount, but I am really tired of how formulaic these books are! I'm not telling my kids that the series goes on, hopefully they won't find out ...

I should be fair and say there are some delightful moments, I am just Paddington-ed out.
Alice
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Adorable as always. The perfect bedtime read even for grown ups.
Anna
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: younger-audience
Cute! and funny
Tiffany Spencer
Paddington Abroad
Plot: In this story the Browns and Paddington decide to take a trip to France. Paddington is put in charge of the itinerary. (Im just as bad as spelling that as he is! Thank goodness for spell check). So he begins to do a little research. He borrows some books and maps in order to take his new task seriously. The first day there, the tire blows out and they challenge each other who can make the best meal. The next day a parade follows. Which Paddington is given the honor of
Vickie Lou
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paddington is so sweet
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Page Number Request 3 16 Sep 26, 2017 11:35AM

• Adèle & Simon
  • The Wombles
  • The Worst Witch to the Rescue (Worst Witch, #6)
  • The Worst Witch Saves the Day (Worst Witch, #5)
  • Another Planet: A Teenager in Suburbia
  • The Worst Witch All at Sea (Worst Witch, #4)
  • The Landry News
  • The Rescuers (The Rescuers, #1)
  • When We Were Very Young (Winnie-the-Pooh, #3)
  • A Bad Spell for the Worst Witch (Worst Witch, #3)
  • The Worst Witch and The Wishing Star (Worst Witch, #7)
  • Happy Times in Noisy Village
  • The Picky Puffin (Zoes's Rescue Zoo, #13)
  • Grover and Squeak's Farm Adventure (Grover McBane, Rescue Dog #5)
  • Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children, #5)
  • Now We Are Six (Winnie-the-Pooh, #4)
  • Navy SEALs: Mission at the Caves (Special Operations Files, #1)
  • Mr Dog and a Hedge Called Hog
Michael Bond, CBE was an English children's author. He was the creator of Paddington Bear and wrote about the adventures of a guinea pig named Olga da Polga, as well as the animated BBC TV series The Herbs. Bond also wrote culinary mystery stories for adults featuring Monsieur Pamplemousse and his faithful bloodhound, Pommes Frites.

Paddington Bear (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • A Bear Called Paddington (Paddington, #1)
  • More About Paddington (Paddington, #2)
  • Paddington Helps Out (Paddington, #3)
  • Paddington at Large (Paddington, #5)
  • Paddington Marches on (Paddington, #6)
  • Paddington at Work (Paddington, #7)
  • Paddington Goes to Town (Paddington, #8)
  • Paddington Takes the Air (Paddington, #9)
  • Paddington On Top (Paddington, #10)
  • Paddington Takes the Test (Paddington, #11)

News & Interviews

“strong-room” 1 likes
“Luckily he had found a piece of cloth on the balcony outside Mr Brown’s room and so he’d been able to clean off the worst of the dirt before getting down to the important job of taking it to pieces and polishing it.” 0 likes