Start by marking “M.F.K. Fisher, Julia Child, and Alice Waters: Celebrating the Pleasures of the Table” as Want to Read:

M. F. K. Fisher, Julia Child, and Alice Waters celebrates the accomplishments and friendships of three women who changed the way Americans think about food and cooking, dining and pleasure. In a series of three overlapping biographical portraits, Reardon reveals the private lives behind their public personas. Tracing major developments in their careers and quoting ...more
Published October 4th 1994 by Crown

To ask other readers questions about M.F.K. Fisher, Julia Child, and Alice Waters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about M.F.K. Fisher, Julia Child, and Alice Waters

Start your review of M.F.K. Fisher, Julia Child, and Alice Waters: Celebrating the Pleasures of the Table
Apr 22, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a good primer to the writings of these three 'Ladies at the Table'. Though they were connected in real life (by varying degrees), that did feel a little forced, though the biographies are sandwiched between chapters on the influence of France and California on all three writers/chefs. The biographies aren't overly-detailed, but they give a good basic intorduction to the writers, their influences and lifestyles. I would have liked more pictures; I also thought the book showed it's age ...more
Michelle
Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food
Interesting mini-biographies of three women influential in the culinary women. I hadn't realized that MFK Fisher and Julia Child were such friends, and that an older Fisher was a central fixture in the food world of the times. Unfortunately, I found Reardon's writing difficult to read. She used words oddly and her sentences would start hinting at one idea but then end up somewhere completely different, both of which made it hard to skim. (And that's not to mention her misuse and overuse of ...more
Jessica
Mar 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
I found this book to be overly detailed and long-winded at times. Reardon could have cut 100 pages and fine-tuned what was left to produce something really riveting. I know a lot about Fisher, Child and Waters already, so I ended up skipping the 2 chapters devoted exclusively to Child to expedite my reading (if the prose was a little sharper, I probably wouldn't have skipped these chapters). That said, I feel the facts Reardon supplied were intimate and as a result you get a complete picture of ...more
Anne Green
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fascinating biographies of these three great American food writers and cooks. It provides a broad perspective of the food scene in both America and France in the years spanning the periods of these writers' lives, as well as a close look at the three women individually. Well researched and written. A solid achievement.
Tiffanyhenschel
Jan 01, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a series of three mini biographies of M.F.K. Fisher, Julia Child, and Mary Alice Waters, three women who changed the culture of American cooking in the twentieth century. It is a good starting point for information about any of the three women, but the text is sluggish and cumbersome at times.
Tlo
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very interesting, especially since I knew very little of MFK Fisher and Alice Waters, but had been interested in learning more. And of course, I adore Julia Child, so anything Child-related excites me. I recommend this book if you are interested in French culture, food "movements", and California.
Virginia
The intro was great. The author talked about the whys of writing the book but after that it was mostly bio on the 3 women and was stuff I already knew. Perhaps if I had read the book in 1994 when writen this would not have been the case.
Mbarron
Hey, this is not a recent read, but by request I am resurrecting it because so many people are going to see Julie/Julia. This book focuses on Julia Child, M.F.K. Fisher, and Alice Waters. I read it back during my Alice Waters fascination phase; I think it's out of print but interesting.
Pat evert
Feb 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
You don't have to like cooking to like this book! Really, really interesting slant on, not only the lives of these famous chefs...but on the influence they had on the way you and I eat!!!! 3 for 1 - a good deal!
Cara Meredith
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Eh. While the women themselves are quite interesting, the writer is terribly boring.
Barbara Rice
Apr 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
An interesting book about the intertwining lives of three women who shaped how we view food, shop, cook, and enjoy dining in America today.
Robin
Sep 27, 2010
Sandy
Mar 15, 2017
Ingrid Swords
rated it did not like it
Oct 22, 2016
Jeannie
Nov 14, 2014
Barbie S
Dec 14, 2013
Joan Reardon is the author of four previous books, including M.F.K. Fisher, Julia Child, and Alice Waters, which was nominated for a Julia Child Award. She lives in Lake Forest, Illinois.

(from http://us.macmillan.com/author/joanre...)