Start by marking “Baby's Christmas (Jellybean Books)” as Want to Read:
Baby's Christmas (Jellybean Books)

Baby's Christmas (Jellybean Books)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  216 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
In her signature style, Eloise Wilkin explains to Baby what to expect during Christmastime--from making cookies and singing carols, to trimming the tree and opening presents on Christmas morning! The gentle, soothing text is perfect for reading aloud, and the warm, cozy illustrations make sure that sharing this book with a young child will be a pleasure. Originally publish ...more
Published September 7th 1999 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Baby's Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby's Christmas

Stacy
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the old-fashioned illustrations.
Mariah
Dec 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story that is a little out-to-date.
Beckie
Classic Little Golden Book about Baby's First Christmas. I loved the illustrations (very 1950's) and with all the toys listed, it helped my two year old with object recognition. Very enjoyable.
Neeli
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite its old fashioned pictures, this book captured the attention of younger readers. Perhaps they too, were more interested in finding out what the contents of the baby's presents were, than the traditional message of Christmas. Recommended for beginner readers.
Cindy
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, children-s
This is a Little Golden Book from 1959. Esther Wilkin is the author, Eloise Wilkin provides the wonderful illustrations. I don't know the back story on this one. Is the baby a relative?

Baby ends up with a big haul for Christmas!
I loved reading this story to my kids when they were very young. When they were past 5 or 6 it lost it's appeal. I still like looking at it at Christmas time. A peek at days gone by!
Jj
Quite dated, but still sweet. The Eloise Wilkin illustrations are lovely.
Andy Hickman
"Baby's Christmas" (Little Golden Books) by Esther Wilkin.
One of my earliest books, read to me by my mother.
Lisa
Apr 12, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
This book is about a family that is taking the baby downstairs to see what he got from Santa for Christmas. The baby received: rattles, blocks, beads, a doll, a teddy bear, a dog, a drum, a car, a rubber ball, a picture book, and a cat. The baby also received much much more: a rocking horse, a bouncy swing, a shovel and pail, a rubber duck, a wooden boat, Noah's ark, a fire truck, a train, and a little wagon.
The story ends with the baby cleaning up his/her toys and going to bed.

I didn't like t
Shayla
This book is about a baby’s first Christmas. The book shows the reader what the baby receives for Christmas, and the baby’s reactions to what it receives.
This book is great. The pictures are very detailed, the text is very simple and sweet, so that a younger child can read the words.
I would use this book with my younger children because they would be able to read this book when they start learning how to read. The pictures are compelling and the reactions are relatable. There are also a lot of
Jessica Jackson
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holiday-books
Baby’s Christmas is a loveable traditional Christmas book. I’ve owned this book since I was a baby, and it has been a holiday favorite in my family. The story is about an infant’s Christmas experience. The majority of the book is about all of the present’s the child received. Many readers criticize this book for being all about receiving, not giving. I don’t see how an infant can really give, though. That concept is a little advanced for the age this book is written for. I could see this book as ...more
Margaret Chind
This is really cute! I've known about Golden Books and have several from my own childhood that I share with my daughters. I did not however know about the Golden Baby Board Books until I came across this ARC. Definitely going to be looking for this one and others in the future!

Christmas is a special time of year and learning about what the presents are and things that occur is a great theme for a little board book. While this baby in the book surely racked it all up and not everyone's Christmas
Diane
Dec 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 stars

I liked this book for it's simplicity and illustrations, but not so much for the message it sends. In my opinion, this books seems all about presents, and not about the spirit of Christmas or about giving rather than receiving. Looking at the pages, with stacks of "presents" everywhere, it's obvious that not all babies and children will be as lucky as the baby pictured in the book on Christmas morning. This one has received an over-abundance of presents on Christmas morning from Santa
Kandice
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mackers, easy-reading
This classic is dated, but it's currently one of Mackers' favourites and mine too because I can get in a decent shower while he flips through the book.
Mama's Review: I think the purpose of this book, originally published in 1959, was to teach children how to identify common toys. One reviewer said it doesn't celebrate giving... That would be an advanced concept to teach a toddler who is learning basic language.
Min
For me, this is pure nostalgia. One of the first books I can remember 'reading' (that is, me flipping through the pretty pictures, as it was read to me. Or, if the reader was bored, making it up as I went along).
As part of my 'childhood reading list' for this year, I am pleased to have found it on Good Reads, to include.
Dianna
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
Normally I am Eloise Wilkin's biggest fan, but the text in this book (not by her) is just not working for me. It's just a long catalogue of all the gifts a very spoiled baby gets for Christmas, with a verse about Jesus tacked on to the beginning—presumably to counteract the materialism in the rest of the book?
Christian Singer
Wow! That baby sure got a lot of toys. If Santa brings that much stuff every year that child would be spoiled. At least the baby will have plenty of entertainment. Since babies learn about their world by putting everything in their mouths, the baby will have plenty of opportunities to learn.
Pamela
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Natalie had big te love for this book ease it had the Rock-a-bye Baby song in it!
Angie
I loved this book as a young child, I loved the pictures.
Tracey
Apr 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
beautiful
Eric
Sep 26, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Santa overwhelms John with an unimaginable abundance of Christmas presents, nicely illustrated, designed for young readers.
Kim Hampton
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic from Little Golden books, and my daughter loved the pictures of Baby.
EA
Dec 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, christmas
Old school book. I was surprised how much my daughter liked it. She loved the pictures of the baby, and she wondered about what she would get for christmas.
Janice
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all small children
I love this type of books for small children, they can relate to it. There is nothing scary in it. There is no meanness in it.
Sally Bogdan
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
book i grew up on! cardboard pages make it easy for toddlers to hold and not damage. beautiful illustrations
Scott
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kind of teaches children to expect loads of presents from Santa.
Mckinley
Santa sure left a lot of stuff.
Kim