Start by marking “Summer Days and Summer Nights: Twelve Love Stories” as Want to Read:
Summer Days and Summer Nights: Twelve Love Stories

Summer Days and Summer Nights: Twelve Love Stories

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  8,069 ratings  ·  2,105 reviews
Maybe it's the long, lazy days, or maybe it's the heat making everyone a little bit crazy. Whatever the reason, summer is the perfect time for love to bloom. Summer Days & Summer Nights: Twelve Love Stories, written by twelve bestselling young adult writers and edited by the international bestselling author Stephanie Perkins, will have you dreaming of sunset strolls by ...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 388 pages
Published May 17th 2016 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Summer Days and Summer Nights, please sign up.
Miss Bookiverse No. The only exception might be the story by Stephanie Perkins because it's a continuation of her story from the holiday collection but even that one…moreNo. The only exception might be the story by Stephanie Perkins because it's a continuation of her story from the holiday collection but even that one you could read and enjoy/understand without having read the first story.(less)
YA Novels of 2016
1,292 books — 9,628 voters
Empire of Storms by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. MaasLady Midnight by Cassandra ClareThe Raven King by Maggie StiefvaterGlass Sword by Victoria Aveyard
Can't Wait Books of 2016
1,301 books — 6,914 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a great collection. It's so many things: diverse, creative, funny and sad. That's actually what surprised me most of all: overall, this was a very melancholy, bittersweet collection, especially when compared to the mostly fun and feel-good My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories. The cover makes it look very cutesy, but it tackles a lot of important issues.

"Head, Scales, Tongue, Tail" by Leigh Bardugo - 4.5/5
This was such a great place to start. Bardugo writes some of the best
Nat
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Summer Days & Summer Nights includes twelve small stories that come together to be far greater than the sum of their parts.

Rating for each of the stories:
(From here on this review will contain spoilers.)

Head, Scales, Tongue, Tale by Leigh Bardugo- 4/5 stars

“There are monsters everywhere, tsigele,” she said. “It’s always good to know their names.”

It starts with Bardugo’s short story, which I was super excited for. I STILL think about Kaz from Six of Crows, so this tale made me even more gid
Lola
Slightly better than My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories.

‘‘Head, Scales, Tongue, Tail’’ by Leigh Bardugo – 2 stars
I liked the atmosphere in this short story: it’s creepy and the constant detailed referral to water makes us almost feel uncomfortably wet. But it’s unnecessarily long, slow and the slight touch of fantasy incredibly predictable.

‘‘The End of Love’’ by Nina LaCour – 5 stars
Now this was lovely. It’s a contemporary story about a girl whose parents are divorcing, who attends
Shannelle
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Summer Days & Summer Nights is one beautifully diverse collection, and I just want to bow to Stephanie Perkins and all the other amazing authors who contributed to this anthology. All the stories in here just break all the traditional conventions for YA, along with some really nontraditional stories that wouldn't have made it as a book. It has LGBT couples and and mental health and mental conditions like autism and relationships that don't end with a happily ever after. It's an amazing colle ...more
Lala BooksandLala
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Head, Scales, Tongue, Tale by Leigh Bardugo
5 stars
This anthology kicks off perfectly with a nice small town romance revolving around the hunt for a mythical lake creature. Extra points to Leigh Bardugo for referencing my own city's legendary Ogopogo!
"a glimmering little mountain range, there and then gone, followed by the slap of - Gracie's mind refused to accept it, and at the same time clamored - a tale."

The End of Love by Nina Lacour
As expected, Nina Lacour has penned another beautif
Cait • A Page with a View
I absolutely loved the My True Love Gave to Me collection of holiday stories, but this one seemed really depressing in comparison. Too many stories were about getting over breakups, death, depression, and/or lives that were falling apart. Not really the fluffy, lighthearted summer read I was expecting. There was also a weird amount of carnivals + demons?

Anyways, my average rating was around a 3, but there were a few stories that really stood out! Here's the breakdown:

Head, Scales, Tongue, Tail b
Trina (Between Chapters)
The first half of this book had me wanting to DNF it because I did not enjoy so many of the stories. But the second half hit its stride and delivered what I wanted. The range of diversity in the stories was amazing!
My favorites: Inertia, A Thousand Ways This Could All Go Wrong, The Map of Tiny Perfect Things
My least favorite: Sick Pleasure
Overall rating: 4 stars

Head, Scales, Tongue, Tail
by Leigh Bardugo
Genre: Supernatural
Summary: Two teens meet every summer to search for their town's version of
Heather 'Bookables'
Dec 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-contemporary
Really expected more from this...
Video review coming soon!
Lani
Mar 03, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2016-releases
But can we all just take a moment to appreciate the title of this book
Summer days drifting away
To, uh oh, those summer nights
descriptiondescriptiondescription
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Checking out this book like
description
Carmen de la Rosa
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Había leído en la época navideña My True Love Gave To me, un libro muy tierno con 12 historias muy lindas, que aunque no todas me gustaron, fue un libro muy bueno para leer, ya que conocí a nuevos autores. Así que cuando supe que iba a ver una nueva recopilación de historias, estaba muy entusiasmada de leer este libro sobre el verano.

Honestamente esta recopilación no empieza con la mejor historia, pero conforme vas leyendo cada relato es mejor, a mi especialmente me gustaron los que están en la
Emer
Head, Scales, Tongue, Tail by Leigh Bardugo

Overall a very nicely worked summer story with elements of fantasy among the mundane. A little too many characters in the beginning...short stories need to be snappy and though this got my attention quickly I had to read back to clarify certain aspects of the character in the story "prologue" / background setup. Once the main story between Gracie and Eli started I was hooked though. It was a little predictable but feather light and with enough bitterswe
Kat
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-n
This was a collection of short stories by various authors about summertime. Some of them I really enjoyed. Lots of carnivals, if that’s your thing! Most had happy endings, although a few were sad. Overall entertaining. I really need to read Leigh Bardugo! Ah the to-read list that just grows and grows!

Please excuse typos/name misspellings. Entered on screen reader.
Vitor Martins
Essa antologia me surpreendeu muito! Eu não estava com expectativas muito altas porque o My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories (livro de contos de Natal também editado pela Stephanie Perkins me deixou bem dividido. Mas me surpreendi com toda a diversidade que encontrei aqui. E não estou falando só de diversidade sexual (apesar desse livro estar de parabéns nesse quesito!).

Existem gêneros muito diferentes, e tramas muito criativas. Tem amor que dá certo, tem amor que não dá. Tem final f
Kate (GirlReading)
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5*

This collection included a few gorgeous gems of stories which I utterly loved but on the whole I didn't enjoy this short story collection quite as much as I did the winter edition, 'My True Love Gave To Me'.

As I did with 'My True Love Gave To Me', I haven given each story its own individual rating and mini review!

3/5* 'Head, Scales, Tongue, Tail by Leigh Bardugo'.
This was so bizarre but also kind of lovely. This was a summer romance over numerous years with an element of magical realism
Odette Knappers
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I ended up really liking this!

This book sounds like a book full of cute summer stories, but because of some reviews I already knew before I started that it was not the case. The only common factor for these stories is that they take place in the summer.

But in the first stories, there was a bit too much I didn't liked at each story. Not just the not-summery-fluffy-plotline, but also writing I didn't really liked. Every story I read, really disappointed me. Every story. And that is quite a bad t
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Individual Ratings:
Head, Scales, Tongue, Tale by Leigh Bardugo – ★★★★
The End of Love by Nina Lacour – ★★
Last Night at the Cinegore by Libba Bray – ★★★
Sick Pleasures: For A and U by Francesca Lia Block – ★
In Ninety Minutes, Turn North by Stephanie Perkins – ★★★★
Souvenirs by Tim Federle – ★★★
Inertia by Veronica Roth – ★★
Love Is The Last Resort by Jon Skovron – ★★ (ending adds: half a star)
Good Luck and Farewell by Brandy Colbert – ★★.5
Brand New Attraction by Cassandra Clare – ★
A Thousand Ways Thi
Irene Sim
For Readathon-2017: 33/52
In the category "Short stories anthology"
Overall rating 3,5/5 stars.

This anthology couldn’t be more summer-y unless it came as a package deal with this:

photo Cavelossim_Beach_zpsfr1kz1qh.jpg

I don’t know what I expected when I started this anthology – maybe the same old story of boy-meets-girl multiplied by 12 – but what I got was a very rich sundae, multi-flavored and with various toppings. I loved the diversity of the stories, how some of them left me with a smile on my face and some with a bitter taste.
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
Summer Days & Summer Nights is the first anthology I’ve ever read. I didn’t know what to expect, all I know is I’m not a short-story person. Fortunately, it turned out better than what I anticipated it to be. For me, it’s split into three categories. There are four stories that struck me, and gripped me, followed by four stories that are ordinary, but doable, while the remaining four stories doesn’t belong to this collection.

Head, Scales, Tongue, Tale by Leigh Bardugo – 3 stars

This has the
Selene
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
The main reason I picked this book up was because I heard that Stephanie Perkins In Ninety Minutes, Turn North story had the same characters as her It's A Yuletide Miracle, Charlie Brown from My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories. So of course I read hers first! Because if you recall... "Seriously Stephanie Perkins! You just had to do this to me! I am melting! I am mush! I need more from these characters! Please Stephanie give me more!"

Head, Scales, Tongue, Tail by Leigh Bardugo
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5/5 stars.
Ginger
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
June book club book is finally finished! Whew!

The best stories in the book in my opinion were "Last Stand at the Cinegore", "Brand New Attraction", "A Thousand Ways This Could All Go Wrong" and "The Map of Tiny Perfect Things". If it was not for these four stories, I would rate this book 2 stars. But because of these stories, I'll give it another star because they saved the book for me.

I just realized out of the four stories that I liked the most, two were fantasy/horror related, one was sci-fi
may ❀
Yes im wasting more precious time where I could be reading BRAND NEW books that I never experienced before instead of rereading an anthology but oh well :)))))) its summer, you cant stop me

Head Scales Tongue Tail by Leigh Bardugo
- upon my reread, I didn’t ADORE this one like the first time, but still a great story
- it was fun and weird and had so many summery vibes, I enjoyed it
- I appreciated the characters too eli and grace were 👌
- 3.5 stars

The End of Love by Nina Lacour
- this was reall
enqi ☁️✨ [joon's]
Summer Days & Summer Nights is a YA anthology of twelve summer romances by twelve different authors including Leigh Bardugo, Stephanie Perkins and Cassandra Clare. To be honest, I picked up this book because I was in a bad reading slump and I was desperate to get myself out of it. I hate being in reading slumps! Anyway, this book wasn’t the perfect remedy or anything, but it did help. Some of the stories were really lovely to read, but some just made me go “WTF?” I’ll be elaborating in my re ...more
☆★Tinja★✮ A Court of Pizza and Laziness
4 stars but I didn't read every short story just the ones that really interested me*

‘‘Head, Scales, Tongue, Tail’’ by Leigh Bardugo
4.5 stars 💜💜💜 fabulous writing and loved the story.

‘‘The End of Love’’ by Nina LaCour
3.5 stars. This should have been much longer but I really liked it.

‘‘Last Stand at the Cinegore’’ by Libba Bray

3 stars. I was a bit disappointed actually
Kaya Dimitrova
Feb 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Ще започна с това, че честно казано не си падам много - много по разказите, защото обичам да се привързвам към героите, а при текстове, дълги около 30 – тина страници, това е малко вероятно. За мое щастие, част от разказите оправдаха това и ме караха да се усмихвам широко в малкото минути време, което съм имала да се докосна до тях.....
Цялото ревю тук -> http://justonebooklover.blogspot.bg/2...
Цветелина
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
Няма да се впускам в обобщение на сюжетни линии на всеки разказ, тъй като тук има достатъчно много добри ревюта, от които може да се запознаете с тях. Вместо това ще напиша какво ми хареса или не ми хареса във всеки разказ. Оценките са според значенията им в GR, т.е. 3 звезди = "хареса ми":

- Глава, люспи, език, опашка от Лий Бардуго - не съм се запознавала досега с творчеството на Бардуго, макар че заглавията на романите й са изключително популярни сред young/new adult аудиторията, особено привъ
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Average rating: 3.8 stars.
This is one of my favorite collections I've read this year. There were so many fabulous little stories in here, including a few new all-time faves. If you'd like to read the Favs, I'd check out Leigh Bardugo's Head Scales Tongue Tail, Stephanie Perkins' In Ninety Minutes Turn North, Veronica Roth's Inertia, and Lev Grossman's The Map of Tiny Perfect Things.

ALSO CAN WE TALK ABOUT THE COVER. I'm a nerd and I did a full run-through, in case you're interested, so check out
Flor
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
☀Cabeza, escamas, lengua, cola de Leigh Bardugo: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Me ha encantado de principio a fin, el romance entre los protagonistas fue tan bonito y tierno, creeíble también ya que se dio con tiempo y cariño, definitivamente se siente ese amor veraniego. Ame el hecho de que pasaran sus días leyendo y escuchando discos viejos. Y aunque honestamente ya me esperaba lo que iba a pasar en cierto punto, no me esperaba el final y me dejo muy feliz. Feliz. Feliz.
☀El final del amor de Nina Lacour: ⭐⭐⭐⭐1/2: Me
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to no by: may ❀
Love was a tiny firefly in the distance, blinking on right when I needed it to.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds fucking delightful. And some of the stories are delightful (evidence: Head, Scales, Tongue, Tail by the queen herself. And Inertia by Veronica Roth. Beautiful.)

But then there's crap like Last Stand at the Cinegore: a horror romance that had me barfing. My head hurt reading it, it was terrible.

This is my problem with anthologies: there are stories that are perfect, and then there are t
  • The Sun, the Moon, and the Truth
  • A Tyranny of Petticoats (A Tyranny of Petticoats, #1)
  • The Twelve Days of Dash and Lily
  • #girlnovel
  • Flying Lessons & Other Stories
  • The Sun Is Also a Star
  • Always and Forever, Lara Jean (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #3)
  • Three Sides of a Heart: Stories about Love Triangles
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Turtles All the Way Down
  • It Started With Goodbye
  • The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You
  • Girl Against the Universe
  • Journey's End
  • Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2)
  • Run
  • Revenge and the Wild
Hi, there! I'm Steph, and I wrote Anna and the French Kiss, Lola and the Boy Next Door, and Isla and the Happily Ever After. I also edited (and contributed a short story to) a romantic holiday anthology called My True Love Gave to Me and its companion anthology, Summer Days and Summer Nights. My next YA release is a horror novel called There's Someone Inside Your House, which will be released Fall ...more
“Some of us wear our hearts. Some of us carry them.” 18 likes
“The person she liked best didn't like her enough to want more of her, and she didn't want to pretend that wasn't awful.” 10 likes