Start by marking “Masks and Mirrors (The Weir Chronicles #2)” as Want to Read:
Masks and Mirrors (The Weir Chronicles #2)

Masks and Mirrors

(The Weir Chronicles #2)

Ian Black’s commitment to safeguarding Earth has come at a price. His career as an illusionist is at a standstill and attending to the planet’s needs has distanced him from his best friend, his guardians, and the woman he loves. When presented with an opportunity to perform, Ian seizes the chance. But moments before he takes the stage, Ian encounters the mysterious Jaered ...more
Published April 2nd 2015 by CrossWinds Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Masks and Mirrors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Masks and Mirrors

Start your review of Masks and Mirrors (The Weir Chronicles #2)
amomentsilence
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: <3 Scifi/fantasy/dystopian, secret-war-going-on-behind-your-back-n-right-under-your-nose sorta books
Recommended to amomentsilence by: Sami Jo
Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars

What an explosive adventure! And that ending! ASDFGHJKLLJJGFCJFUFUFYDTVJVFD HOLY CRAP! That ending was a serious eye-opener!

This coming from a first-time reader to the series, I am definitely hooked! My biggest concern while reading this was that I wouldn't understand what was going on (after all, I was missing the events of a whole book!), but thankfully that didn't seem to be the case. The story definitely seems to pick up right where the previous one ended, but that's
Montzalee Wittmann
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Masks and Mirrors
The Weir Chronicles, Book Two
By: Sue Duff
Narrated by: Christopher J Mayer
This is an audible book I requested and the review is audible.
This gets more exciting than as the story progresses. Weirs have magic. They also have enemies and they will stop at nothing to get the last Weir dead. This book is about a curse, enemies, a young child that has a secret even he doesn't know, and a lot of action. It is pretty fast paced and lots of suspense. Lots of surprises happen along the wa
Jessica Bronder
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Masks & Mirrors continues right after Fade to Black and there is so much going on. Aeros is trying to get a formula to kill all Weirs so he can have full access to the Earth’s core. Jaered is trying to keep his ties to the rebel’s secret but gets put in a hard position when he tries to get the formula for Aeros. There is also a lot more about Jaered that gives you a different angle from meeting him in Fade to Black.

Then there is Ian. He is still fighting with his limitations and his love for Ray
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
Mar 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
This book picks up immediately after the first book ends, with no time jump or recap. That’s great if you read them back to back, but I think a tiny bit of recap would be helpful for readers like me who had a lag of several months between books.

This book focuses a lot on Jaered and his situation and actions. It’s a change from the first book, which focused primarily on Ian. It was an interesting change, and helped bring into focus the wider picture of the series. This book wasn’t just about Ian’
Roxanne Kade
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another stunning read by Sue Duff, this book was as magical and exciting as the first. I was once again sucked into the world of the Weir as the fight between good and evil only intensified.

Although Ian and Jaered were seen as adversaries, they were really allies, on the same mission to save the world. Each of them willing to go against orders of their leaders for the greater good. They just had different ways of doing things and whilst Jaered were questionable, he had a good heart.

This story wa
Kimberly Westrope
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Though I have not read book one of this series, after reading Masks ad Mirrors, I want to go back and read the first book. This is a captivating story with many plot twists and very engaging characters. I could hardly put it down, I was so anxious to find out what was going to happen next. And the ending left me even more anxiously anticipating book number three.

I really love how the author blends all of the supernatural beings/occurrences in with the humans, and the interesting interactions be
CassandraG
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was an interesting story that continued nicely from the first book and it held your attention from beginning to end. It also had some very bad villains and some humorous situations along with the tension filled ones. It was also nice to see some of the characters that were from the first book get in on some of the action. So if you get a chance to check out either book you won’t be disappointed and you’ll enjoy both.
Melissa
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
This was a well rounded book with moments of tension as well as humor. The characters were put in situations where the outcome could have been anything! Love that the author knows how to capture the audience and leaves you on the edge of your seat throughout the book!

I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.
Gabrielle Link
This book was ok for me, because the first few chapters where great but then it started to go dry. The character where ok, but not a lot of action. I try to read more but I just can't, I also think the chapters where to short. When I was read a chapter I started liking it, then it went to a different scene, I didn't like that!

I got this to Review.
Margaret Anderson
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved the second book. the twist and turns kept you wanting to read more. What an ending to this second book, wow, I thought the first books ending was fantastic but this one was even better. Must read for anyone that likes fantasy or science fiction.
Savannah
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It was very well written and the characters were whole and complete. They seemed like real, three dimensional people instead of two diminsional characters on a piece of paper. I'm definitely going to read the first one in the series. I reccommend it.
T.H. Leatherman
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Behind the Mask

Ian Black has many responsibilities. Saving the earth is foremost among them. The path has been painful. He's lost friends and found that people he trusted had betrayed him. As Ian races around the Earth to avert a series of disasters, he is become more distant from his best friend and the woman he loves. What he needs are allies as strong as he is.

Jerrod has been fighting a guerilla battle from inside the ranks of the Weir. Their latest attack, a serum that will kill any of the P
Jessica
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was a little worried when I first started the book not having read the first one and how it immediately jumps into the action. There is a lot of world building that I definitely missed by not reading the first one but the constant movement in the book made it easy to continue to read. The first few chapters may be a little confusing at first but the writing makes it easy to stick to and everything starts to come together. There are a lot of different elements to this book (different dimensions ...more
diana
May 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
I've read started this book weeks ago and unfortunately, I still have not finished it. And I've decided that I give up. I just couldn't finish it.
I thought highly of Masks and Mirrors when I read the blurb. Ever since I've read These Broken Stars I've gotten a special fondness for sci-fi and now I'm trying to add more books on my read shelf in that genre. Unfortunately Masks and Mirrors isn't gonna be one of those.

I was more than halfway through the book when I finally decided to put it down. I
Michelle (Adventure in Bookland)
Well Mask and Mirrors leaves off where Fade to Black left off in a world full of magic. Ian has been fulfilling his duties as Heir while Rayne lives her normal life. That is until they are asked to hide a mother and child, little do they know they will all be wrapped up into something bigger.

Again, I loved Ian, Rayne, Patrick, Tara, and I like that I got to know Jaered. I learned a lot about him and seeing more of him answered a lot of questions that I had after finishing the first book. Althoug
Mary
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ian Black and his friends are back in the second book of The Weir Chronicles trilogy. Ian performs as an illusionist, but the truth is he has special abilities as a protector of the Earth. With his vast responsibilities keeping him busy, Ian feels like he's losing touch with the people he cares about most, while working for the greater good. Who is this Jaered, who keeps popping up in Ian's path? Is he a friend or a foe? A new drug could change the course of Ian's civilization, the Weir, and of ...more
Paul
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-fiction
I received this book from Sue Duff along with books 1 & 3 through a Goodreads giveaway, Sue kindly added books 1 & 2 to the prize of Book 3.

A great follow up to Fade to Black
Ian has started to find new powers
Still not all of them

A few major plot twists are getting revealed and others just hinted at

Keep following Ian's adventures
Sami Jo
Mar 03, 2015
Jerrilynn Lilyblade
Oct 25, 2017 marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Rhydian  Pelethite

• Crowded, Vol. 1
  • Skin Horse, Volume Three
  • The Princess Who Saved Her Friends
  • Skin Horse, Volume Five
  • Preludes & Nocturnes (The Sandman, #1)
  • Suicide Run (Smuggler's Tales From the Golden Age of the Solar Clipper #2)
  • Full Share (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, #3)
  • Owner's Share (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, #6)
  • The Doll's House (The Sandman, #2)
  • Half Share (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, #2)
  • By Darkness Forged (Seeker's Tales From The Golden Age Of The Solar Clipper, #3)
  • Quarter Share (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, #1)
  • In Ashes Born (A Seeker's Tale from the Golden Age of the Solar Clipper #1)
  • Double Share (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, #4)
  • To Fire Called (A Seeker's Tale From The Golden Age Of The Solar Clipper Book 2)
Sue has been writing since high school but never became serious about it until a skiing accident laid her up for an entire summer and she turned on the word processor to combat the boredom. A couple years later, her first urban fantasy novel, Fade to Black, was a finalist in the RMFW Colorado Gold Writing Contest. By day, she’s a dedicated speech-language therapist in an inner city school district ...more

The Weir Chronicles (5 books)
  • Fade To Black (The Weir Chronicles #1)
  • Sleight of Hand (The Weir Chronicles #3)
  • Stack a Deck (The Weir Chronicles #4)
  • Dim the Lights (The Weir Chronicles #5)