Start by marking “The Choose Yourself Guide To Wealth” as Want to Read:
The Choose Yourself Guide To Wealth

The Choose Yourself Guide To Wealth

This is a bold book by James Altucher because he not only gives you a new map for the new financial landscape, but he also has skin in the game.

This is the first financial book in which the author REVEALS HOW HE, PERSONALLY, MAKES HIS OWN MONEY.

We are living in an epic period of change, danger and opportunity. The economy is crashing and booming every few years. People
Published March 2nd 2015 by Choose Yourself Media, LLC (first published March 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Choose Yourself Guide To Wealth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Choose Yourself Guide To Wealth

Start your review of The Choose Yourself Guide To Wealth
Max Nova
Here's the thing about this book: it's a poorly written rant... but it has some gems in it. Now, you can decide on your own whether you want to take life/business advice from someone who has fluctuated between millionaire and broke (multiple times!), but some of his points certainly ring true. Altucher has some interesting things to say about sales, HR, fundraising, and investing. There's also an interesting section on "myths that ruin peoples' lives". Lucky for you, I've extracted all the pearl ...more
Nick
May 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Well, I'll give this to Altucher: he knows how to market. I read a blog post with a link to the marketing pitch he made for this book, which compelled me to buy it (not on his site, for $40+ but on Amazon for 99 cents, thank you very much). There are useful nuggets sprinkled among the steaming piles of conventional wisdom, but to find them, you are forced to read some of the worst-written sentences on the planet, and worse still, you have to spend time with a self-obsessed guy who is convinced y ...more
Christian Grobmeier
James knows how to market, and he made me buy his book even before I started with the "Chose yourself" book. When I found out "Choose yourself" is not really the thing I was hoped for my expectations for this book went down. But seriously... it was a huge disappointment. He repeated a lot of content from "Choose yourself" and added some examples. If you read his blog then there is nothing new for you. It's always the same things he mentions: college is stupid, the world changes, and you need to ...more
Keith Leslie
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5 stars - James Altucher always fascinates me. He has had a ton of financial success and has interviewed top performers from every imaginable field on his podcast. He shares what he’s learned from his guests’ experiences as well as his own in the hopes that it helps someone, and his worldview is so different from the norm that it makes you question whether his approaches are crazy, brilliant, or both.

The content in this book is pretty fun and thought-provoking at times and seemingly hacky at
Nathan Sudds
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After reading some other comments on this book, I've got to add my brief take on it.

I love James Altucher, but as someone else mentioned you probably either love him (and his writing) or you hate him.

This book much like the initial Choose Yourself book is one part motivational, one part timely wisdom, and one part crazy... I mean entertaining :) And that's why I love it.

James takes on a serious topic without taking himself or the topic too seriously, which I think is what I love about all his wr
Adoptry
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
James Altucher is a a real genius or a real nutter and I'm yet to make up my mind on which one. The Choose Yourself Guide to Wealth, like its predecessor, Choose Yourself is a philosophy and ideas that Altucher claims to have worked to make him have a happier and more fulfilling life. The first part of the book doesn't really tie in to the title - it seems like a random collection of essays centered around the principle of becoming an "idea machine" through the daily practice. The sections dedic ...more
Kevin Koskella
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really informative book by Altucther. As usual, he does repeat some themes from previous books/blog posts (i.e. The Daily Practice, don't buy a house, college is a waste of time, etc), but there are some really awesome ideas that I got from reading this book. He gets into a lot of detail about starting a business, and how to invest. Some specifics and some mindset stuff. And, I love his casual writing style and humor (although there were a few typos in the book). If you haven't or have read Altu ...more
Joe Legros
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I was first exposed to James Altucher by Tim Ferriss in "Tools for Titans" and was encouraged to exercise my "Idea Muscle." Since reading that chapter, I have been writing down at least 10 ideas per day; I'm now on week five and it has been an enlightening experience. Most of my ideas are bad and I will never act on them. However, Altucher would say, "The ideas themselves don't matter. Exercising the idea muscle is what matters most."

Regarding "The Choose Yourself Guide to Wealth," Altucher is
Chris
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it
A Bit Haphazard, But Has It's Charm

Maybe not directed to my age group and written in the aftermath of the Great Recession , the book has it's salient points. But, it's a lot of throw a boatload of ideas against the wall and hope something sticks. Most people need consistency and order to pay the rent or mortgage and save for old age. That has not changed in a millennium and will continue as the broken economy slowly repairs itself. The book does have a nice human touch due to the author's up and
Permittivité du Vide

This book is filled with anecdotes from the author’s own time working as a hedge fund manager, being an entrepreneur and a chess player, giving out tips he picked up along the way and marking them with titles like Be Ridiculous, Why You Have to Quit Your Job This Year, and Don’t Be a Child.

Even someone who usually shies away from self help book and get wealthy guides will find this one a fun and refreshing read, if only for the anecdotes and interesting outlook on things.

Altucher talks about goi
Maulik Naik
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I read two back to back books of James Altucher. The one I am writing the review and Choose Yourself: Be Happy, Make Millions, Live the Dream. Reading Choose Yourself impressed me a lot and made me read this one. I must say James is one of the most practical authors I have ever came across. This books highlights clear steps and methodologies to de-clutter your mind from various belief that are followed from ages.

At some stages in the book it looks a dragging one, but otherwise it is a gem to rea
Jason Shih
May 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Some good advice but really feels mostly like ramblings of a guy who made it clear he's only writing this book to add an extra source of revenue. I've got a lot of good ideas from this book which is why I gave it two stars, but it felt like he was just throwing his ideas out while telling you they might or might not work. While that is akin to reality, it really created the sense that he doesn't have any real, quantified evidence to any of his ideas, only his personal anecdotes which he reassure ...more
Jack
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like Altucher's ideas and believe that many I've never tried in my life are at least worth giving serious consideration. He talks a lot about becoming an Idea Machine which could have considerable benefits. Especially for younger people, this book is a good primer for surviving and thriving in today's environment.

What is detracting, for me, is Altuchers unrestrained enthusiasm for his ideas, his appearance and the fact that his book contains numerous typographical and grammatical errors. Of c
Philipp Meder
Jan 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is one of the best self-help books I've read. There are so many really great insights in here. I wrote down lots of parts I marked on my first read that I am sure I am going to apply to my life. What I like most about Altucher's writing is his complete honesty. He shares his accomplishments as well as his failings. I found the whole book interesting and couldn't put it down on most parts.
The only thing I didn't like is that it appears to be poorly edited, and thus there are many mistakes, m
Erica Vargas
Feb 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. I really enjoy learning from his successes and failures. James Altucher is very direct while explaining them. And I am sure that everyone can learn form him. For sure I will now start with the training of my « Idea Muscle » in order to improve my creativity and develop new ideas. Finally the last part of the book, where James analyzes Eminem final rap battle enables us to get a deeper understanding of how cognitive biais work and how marketing campaigns use it. That’s defin ...more
Erin
Feb 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book is scatterbrained, disjointed, and painful to read. There are a few nuggets of good information but unfortunately they are surrounded by rants. The author flits from one topic to the next with very little cohesion. I can't say I'm really surprised, since he mentions selling businesses within months of creating them and being broke multiple times. For those who are steadfast and considered in their lives, this book provides little value. ...more
J Crossley
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Choose Yourself Financial Edition.

I really like James Altucher’s writing style. He is brutally honest about his life, and i feel that this makes him better to listen to than someone who seems “perfect.”

In this book he reviews the concepts from Choose Yourself, and adds more information regarding business and finances. There is a wealth of information that can be put to use.
Strings
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun easy read. Wish I would have read this when I was much younger. The author tells you not to follow his advice many times. However you would probably do your self a disservice if you didn’t. The author has lived a
Iife of extreme up and downs that most of us will never know, but we can learn from these experiences. A lot of simple advice that you can change your life for the better.
Robin M
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: advice, favorites
What an amazing book.
It worked perfectly into my new mindset and it made me realise that it's not a bad thing that I'm having - as I recently called it - "too many ideas".

The chapter on Investing seemed a little too obviously frankensteined together from blog posts. But that's easily forgiven.

Highly recommended and I'll definitely go for other books of the author in the future!
Julian Ajello
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book has lots of useful ideas and strategies and James has a quirky way of getting his points across. He also makes it easy and entertaining to get through what some could view as very dry or uninteresting subject material. I read it on a Kindle but ordered a physical copy to make notes and use it as a resource.
Paul Drawdy
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
I like the author, he has an interesting podcast and does crazy experiments where he sold everything and lived out of AirBnB's and mooched off friends for a year. The book was a little lacking. Not enough detail for a business book. Has great ideas but not a lot of how to in my opinion. ...more
Habeeb Animashaun
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Inspiring read

It was inspiring in a way that made me believe that despite only an undergrad degree I can make my dreams come true. May be a bit naive though in how it portrays ease but will be trying.
Jason Van Lieu
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Motivating read...

This book is very good, but it certainly isn't for everyone. Not everyone wants the life James has created for himself, but everyone can find something helpful from reading this book.
Nestor Sanchez
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Choose Yourself

So much insightful advice in a single book. Written in a manner that enables anybody to stick it to memory and follow. Recommend this book to all your friends, young adults, and anybody you care about. It's that important.
Walter Herrera
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great blend of humor, motivation and practical advice. It is entertaining. Some advice is good some not so much. Read it and make up your own mind. I found value in it. Hopefully you will too. Just don’t pay full price for it. ( I didn’t, and neither should you.)
Christopher Carter
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Lived the idea machine.. lack of blue collar advice.

I love the idea machine premise, but would have loved a little shout out to blue collar workers and some advice to general population of shift work. Great ideas, and will out these into practice.
Erik Olson
Jan 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Frankly, I didn’t get it. I bought the book off one of Altucher’s Instagram ads for the cost of shipping so thankfully I’m not out much money. I originally thought it was a wealth-building or -management guide but I was wrong (I think—like I said, I didn’t really get the point).
Melanie
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
An easy read full of great insight

I found James Altucher's system for becoming an idea machine fantastic and worth the read. The book was funny at times, entertaining most of the time, and full of great advise.
Prashant Ghai
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
It was diffrent, both in form and content. Leaves you with a new thought process. A good read, nothing mind blowing though.
Joe Sorge
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
liked this book far more than I expected that I would
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends on It
  • Building Your Book for Kindle
  • The Millionaire Fastlane: Crack the Code to Wealth and Live Rich for a Lifetime!
  • How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big: Kind of the Story of My Life
  • Rule #1: The Simple Strategy for Successful Investing in Only 15 Minutes a Week!
  • Tomorrowland: Our Staggering Journey from Science Fiction to Science Fact
  • Abundance: The Future Is Better Than You Think
  • How to Live Forever
  • The 1-Page Marketing Plan: Get New Customers, Make More Money, And Stand out From The Crowd
  • Habits of a Happy Brain: Retrain Your Brain to Boost Your Serotonin, Dopamine, Oxytocin,  Endorphin Levels
  • Tools of Titans: The Tactics, Routines, and Habits of Billionaires, Icons, and World-Class Performers
  • Stress Less, Accomplish More
  • The Rise of Superman: Decoding the Science of Ultimate Human Performance
  • The Rational Male
  • If You're Not First, You're Last: Sales Strategies to Dominate Your Market and Beat Your Competition
  • Tribe of Mentors: Short Life Advice from the Best in the World
  • Barking Up the Wrong Tree: The Surprising Science Behind Why Everything You Know About Success Is (Mostly) Wrong
James Altucher is a writer, successful entrepreneur, chess master, and investor.

He has founded over 20 companies and sold some of them for large exits. He has also run venture capital funds, hedge funds, angel funds, and currently sits on the boards of many companies.

He has written and been profiled in most major national media publications like the Wall Street Journal, The Financial Times, CNBC,

News & Interviews

“I have lots of ideas. How do I pick the right one? Execute on as many as possible. The right idea will pick you.” 11 likes
“If you can’t walk away from a negotiation, then you aren’t negotiating. You’re just working out the terms of your slavery.” 7 likes