Start by marking “The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride, #1)

The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride #1)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  187,844 Ratings  ·  8,785 Reviews
For use in schools and libraries only. After the mutant Erasers abduct the youngest member of their group, the "bird kids," who are the result of genetic experimentation, take off in pursuit and find themselves struggling to understand their own origins and purpose.
Published April 1st 2007 by Turtleback Books (first published April 11th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Angel Experiment, please sign up.

Bella Yeah, it's called Angel Experiment because the School captured Angel to do tests on her.
Carole Yes they do have wings. Supposedly very pretty ones, they are all similar to a real bird's wing. They can fold them up and hide them under baggy…moreYes they do have wings. Supposedly very pretty ones, they are all similar to a real bird's wing. They can fold them up and hide them under baggy wind-breakers like they do a lot if you read the entire series. I recommend you do if you haven't already :).(less)

Joe
Aug 12, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: individuals with a high tolerance for bad writing
Now this is a terrible book.

Written with all the wit and grace of a one-legged puppy, Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment reveals its intentions within the first chapter alone. This is not a book of striking prose or even serviceable but entertaining MOR lit. It is merely a cash cow, another mindless series designed to appeal to reluctant readers. It is, in a word, soulless.

Maximum Ride follows the adventures of six children, each of whom is the product of a genetic experiment: they are 98% human
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
Well that wasn't too bad!

You have six kids that are human and have some bird in them. Huh, and all this time I thought they were angels 😄 Goes to show you have to read to know.

I'm glad this was on one of my challenge lists because I have wanted to read it. I think I will keep checking them out on Overdrive to see what else happens. I mean they all escaped and have people/things after them.

Happy Reading!

Mel ❤
Lola  Reviewer
This is a book I always thought I wouldn’t enjoy.

I saw it numerous times at my former high school’s library and, each time I came across it, I would let my fingers linger on the cover, a pensive expression on my face, and think, ‘‘Naaaah, not for me.’’

Boy was I wrong not to read it YEARS ago. ‘‘The Angel Experiment’’ is such a fast-paced, action-packed, well, RIDE.

I thought it would be about actual angels, but that’s not what Max and her friends are. They are literal experiments with bird genes
Jenny
Jan 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK. I thought this was going to be a lame cheese fest. I mean, James Patterson? I know kids seem to like the series OK, and even a couple adults have recommended it to me. But I figured it wasn't my bag.
I'm not sure why. Genetically engineered mutant kids with wings escaping from evil scientists and fighting super strong werewolf-like soldiers. What's not to like? I couldn't put it down. Fast paced, exciting, kind of horrifying and a lot better written than I expected. I'm totally reading the n
Allison
Take a bit of the child-like innocence vs. evil of Harry Potter, some of the artificially-created destiny from Ender's Game, throw in the flying fantasies from Eragon and mix them in with Patterson's trademark flippant characterization, and you've got Maximum Ride.

This is the book I'm going to recommend when everyone's recovering from the end of Harry Potter later this month. Really. It's that good. And the best part is there are two more books after this one. There's already a waiting list for
Khadidja Megaache
2.5 Stars!

“The funny thing about facing imminent death is that it really snaps everything else into perspective.”

Well that was fun, i LOVED MAX she was great, annoying at times. but funny, and loving big sister. The writing was okay, The story had potential but was poorly executed.

Angelc
Sep 24, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was okay, but I just felt like it didn't have a lot of substance. I didn't really take anything away from it, almost like it didn't have a lot of deep meaning. And it wasn't terribly entertaining, either. I just would have liked the characters to be a little deeper, I guess. I doubt I will read the rest of the series.

Reviewed for: http://inthehammockblog.blogspot.com/
Jasmine
I want you, the reader, to take a moment and scroll down to the lists this novel has been shelved in. “Best Young Adult Books,” “Best Books Ever,” “What To Read After Harry Potter,” “Best Female Lead Characters,” and “Best Science Fiction & Fantasy Books”. If you haven’t guessed by the titles, these are pretty big and popular lists. If you click into them and view the lists, you will see that this book is pretty high up the ranks. And if you looked behind the book, you’ll see raving review a ...more
Mizuki
Do Not Finish at page 145.

I want to finish this book, but after a while I remember life is too short for reading one crappy book after another.

If I read The Angel Experiment when I was 12 years old, I guess I would have been oh-so impressed.

But readers who possess the mental maturity of a 13 years old or above are free to skip this book.

And James Patterson, I'm blacklisting you. I will not read any other of your books. Trick me one, shame on you; trick me twice, shame on me.
Emily May
May 30, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, sci-fi, dnf

Nothing massively wrong with it but the writing was just way too young for me.
UCAS English 10 H...: January Reading Assignment 1 3 Jan 10, 2018 09:15PM
UCAS English 10 H...: November Reading Assignment 1 5 Dec 11, 2017 02:36PM
UCAS English 10 H...: November Reading Assignment 1 5 Dec 11, 2017 02:36PM
Book Review 7 1 1 Nov 10, 2017 10:17PM
Maximum ride movie ever coming out? 362 1163 Sep 30, 2017 04:05AM
  • Turnabout
  • The Lost City of Faar (Pendragon, #2)
  • Ninth Grade Slays (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, #2)
  • Ark Angel (Alex Rider, #6)
  • Heir Apparent (Rasmussem Corporation, #2)
  • Mississippi Jack: Being an Account of the Further Waterborne Adventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman, Fine Lady, and Lily of the West (Bloody Jack, #5)
  • The Cry of the Icemark (The Icemark Chronicles, #1)
  • Moonrise (Warriors: The New Prophecy, #2)
  • Epic (Epic #1)
  • Blue Noon (Midnighters, #3)
  • The Gathering (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #2)
  • Cryptid Hunters (Marty and Grace, #1)
  • Trickster's Choice (Daughter of the Lioness, #1)
  • The Problem Child (The Sisters Grimm, #3)
  • Code Orange
  • Betrayal (Chasing Yesterday, #2)
Official US Site
Official UK Site
BookShots
JIMMY Patterson Books
Official Site for James Patterson's Middle School Series
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. As of January 2016, he has sold over 350
More about James Patterson...

Maximum Ride (9 books)
  • School's Out—Forever (Maximum Ride, #2)
  • Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports (Maximum Ride, #3)
  • The Final Warning (Maximum Ride, #4)
  • Max (Maximum Ride, #5)
  • Fang (Maximum Ride, #6)
  • Angel (Maximum Ride, #7)
  • Nevermore (Maximum Ride, #8)
  • Maximum Ride Forever (Maximum Ride, #9)
“Because what’s worse than knowing you want something, besides knowing you can never have it?” 1756 likes
“Man, you weigh a freaking ton," he told me. "What've you been eating, rocks?"
"Why, is your head missing some?" I croaked. His mouth almost quirked in a smile, and that's when I knew how upset he'd been”
1723 likes