Start by marking “Suspension” as Want to Read:
Suspension

Suspension

3.28  ·  Rating details ·  119 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
A dazzling, remarkably original dark comedy about a young New Yorker's failed attempts to isolate himself in a city that won't take solitude for an answer

For years it's been Andy Green's job to stump students nationwide by coming up with the wrong answers for their multiple-choice tests. Recently, however, his own life has become overwhelmed by wrong choices. When a love a
Published August 1st 2006 by Harper Perennial

To ask other readers questions about Suspension, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suspension

Atrebs
Apr 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Met Robert Westfield on a trip to New York and came back inspired to read his novel. It's an interesting story about a man who, after 9/11 and becoming the victim of a sidewalk attack, basically shuts himself in and becomes afraid to go back out in public in a world that is out of control, or rather, where others control you and you lose yourself. The mysterious circumstances surrounding the attack played out but to a disappointing reveal for me. I did, however, enjoy his relationship with the r ...more
Amy
Aug 23, 2008 rated it it was ok
Mark Bowman
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another fine novel in the genre of contemporary New York gay fiction writers. Well-constructed plot uses pathos, comedy and wit to explore the existential crisis and the delight of living in post-9-11 New York. A set of quirky, endearing characters find their lives intertwined and their bizarre back stories revealed in a series of coincidences bordering on melodrama. Relationships are exposed at the most raw level. Won a Lambda Literary Award a few years back.
Nancy
Jun 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
It's March 2002, and Andy Green hasn't come out of his apartment in 6 months, since getting beat up by a couple of gay bashers before 9/11. But a phone call saying that his former lover has left a package for him at a Manhattan hotel spurs him out of his ennui (but not his paranoia) and he once again ventures out into the world. Whacky good characters, none of whom are what they initially seem, from Andy's Bible-beating mother to his close friend Sonja.
Chris
Jul 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Author Robert Westfield invites us into the mostly harrowing but occasionally hilarious world of New Yorker, Andy Green, who takes refuge in his apartment after the events of September 11th and a gay bashing incident that leaves him injured and his future brother-in-law hospitalized long-term. Westfield presents a cast of characters that Big Apple and comic-novel fans alike will appreciate wholeheartedly.
Heather
Aug 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Just finished reading this for the Brooklyn Bookclub for Women. I didn't end up going to the bookclub mtg(!) but tore through the book anyway. It was a very easy read even though really the subject matter isn't all that light. Definitely enjoyed it! However, I would rewrite the back cover copy if I were them. It doesn't at all do the book justice!
Tom Ledcke
Jul 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Westfield took me on a similar jouney that Crime and Punishment did, in that he took me into this internal struggle that digs deep for meaning of self. However, Suspension keeps the reader hopeful with the lead characters humor and strength, supported by his family and friends.I can't wait for the his book to come out.
Meri
Nov 28, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: great-books
Westfield's debut is funny, engaging and unique; it also takes a really surprising turn, which impressed me because Westfield deftly handles both plot and language. I read this book in 2 days--once it hooked me I couldn't put it down! A great read!!!
Aaron
Oct 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book is overly complicated and elaborate nonsense that goes absolutely nowhere.
Greg
Jul 29, 2011 rated it liked it
fun easy read
Kirstin
Sep 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a great book. I loved how the lives of the characters were intertwined and vastly affected by miscommunication and misunderstanding.
Dan Herman
  • The Trouble Boy
  • War Against the Animals
  • The Notorious Dr. August: His Real Life and Crimes
  • Where the Boys Are
  • Vampire Vow (Vampires, #1)
  • Punk Like Me