Start by marking “The Baby” as Want to Read:
The Baby

The Baby

When Olivia opens the bathroom door, the last thing she expects to see is her best friend Nicola giving birth on the floor – and to say Nicola is surprised is an understatement. She’s not ready to be a mum, and she needs Olivia’s help. But Olivia has her own problems – specifically her bullying boyfriend, Jonty, and keeping an eye on younger sister Alice. And then there’s ...more
Published July 2nd 2015 by Chicken House Books (first published July 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Baby, please sign up.
Emanuel Visele I'm around your age and about to read the book. I think it should be appropriate if you think you're mature enough to handle it's content. Happy…moreI'm around your age and about to read the book. I think it should be appropriate if you think you're mature enough to handle it's content. Happy reading!!(less)
Someone Like You by Sarah DessenBoys Don't Cry by Malorie BlackmanAfter by Amy EfawCrank by Ellen HopkinsJumping Off Swings by Jo Knowles
Teen Pregnancy
234 books — 244 voters
The Sin Eater’s Daughter by Melinda SalisburyHalf Wild by Sally GreenThe Art of Being Normal by Lisa  WilliamsonThe Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick NessFinding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella
UKYA in 2015
147 books — 288 voters

More lists with this book...

jv poore
When I opened The Baby, I anticipated a quirky, mystery-comedic-misadventure of baby-sitting gone hilariously wrong. With a dash of adolescence adoration. I was grossly mistaken. Instead, I plunged into a pertinent plot involving important issues. The depth of this quickly captivating story, seemingly centered on Olivia’s seventeenth birthday celebration, surprised and delighted me.

The look into Olivia and Jonty’s relationship reveals a rarely addressed, but true tribulation. A hard, honest sur
Michelle
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it
When I first heard about The Baby I knew it was something I wanted to read and once it arrived I made short work of it. The Baby is told in multiple points of view, but instead of taking turns, each character gets thier own chapter to explain thier story with thier own month. Olivia in February, Nicola in March, Alice (Olivia's younger sister) in April , Jonty in May, and Ben in June.

The Baby begins with a party, and a very unexpected arrival of a baby. Everyone is shocked and surprised at this
Maddie
Aug 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books, ukya
I'd give the book 3.5 stars! I really liked the concept and the structure of the story, that each of the five characters got a chapter. It was great how new information was slowly revealed throughout the story, and it wasn't just the same event from five different perspectives, but each character taking control of one month of the baby's life.

Alice's section was definitely my favourite because I have a soft spot of children's voices in YA!
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
While I wasn't as emotionally invested in the characters as I'd have liked to have been, I did really enjoy the concepts it brought up. About teen pregnancy, being a parent, bullying, domestic violence, friendship. I liked it a lot.

The Baby by Lisa Drakeford was an interesting read that covered lots of topics that I found fascinating. Each of the five characters' stories were really interesting and I thought it was great how each character's story really builds on the overall theme of teen pregn
Vicky
May 23, 2015 rated it liked it
I fell in love with the idea behind Lisa Drakeford’s debute the minute I saw the book and once my copy landed on my desk, it went straight to the top of my reading list. Teenage pregnancy – and especially teenage parenthood – is a hugely important issue which, I think, doesn’t get the attention it should in YA literature.

Interestingly, and unlike the very few other novels I’ve seen and read so far, The Baby focuses on parenthood and not the pregnancy itself. It explores how Nicola and the dad de
L.D.
Feb 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
The message is dreadful and quite harmful for girls (and boys). The fact that the characters all congratulate the boy on what a great father he is when all he does is take the baby for 2 hours on Sundays!!! Our expectations as a society for men is so low that we are ecstatic when they spend 2 hours a week caring for their child. If the woman matched this, that poor baby would be cared for only four hours a week. Very sad.
The writing tone was right on the mark and it was fun to hear everyone's vo
Claire
Really enjoyable read about an unexpected teenager pregnancy/delivery and the relations surrounding it. The only thing that bothered me was that the main issue was enough for this novel. There was no real need to add additional issues, no matter how important they are, as it was diverting the attention too much. But a good read.
Joanne
3.5 Stars.

Originally posted on Once Upon a Bookcase.

I read The Baby by Lisa Drakeford thinking that it might work for my upcoming Sex in Teen Lit Month II blog event, seeing as it's about the arrival of a unexpected baby. It doesn't quite work for what I want the month to highlight, but I was surprised with how much I enjoyed it! It's pretty good, and takes a serious look at the changes a baby can bring.

When Nicola gives birth in Olivia's bathroom at her birthday party, it's the beginning of a m
Brittany
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recipe for teen best seller - you think hmm: teen pregnancy, abusive boyfriend, absent parents and friends with a deep dark secret..... ACTUALLY NO! It would be great for a book to focus on one of these things or maybe two but seriously 17. Clearly writing about all of these issues at once didn't give you the Printz Award you were looking for - next time, go ahead and find something that has a full based plot and then write from there. Oh by the way - a seventeen year old girl has a bash at her ...more
Jazmen
Oct 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Baby was not at all what I was expecting. The cover paints this picture, as if this book was to be a lighter contemporary--when it fact it's not all that light. It tackles more serious topics than it does anything fun.
True to the title, The Baby is about the baby. In the midst of a party, best friend and fashionista, Nicola, is giving birth in her best friend's bathroom, and now there's a baby--a real live one.

Teenage pregnancy is the obvious topic of this novel and it's told in a fairly re
Sharon
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
"The Baby" is a short book, only a couple of hundred pages long. It's a YA book that revolves around five friends, each of them get a chapter to themselves but the whole book is in the third person.

Olivia and her boyfriend Jonty have been going out for 6 years, but Jonty isn't particularly nice to Olivia at times. On the night of Olivia's 17th birthday party, her best friend Nicola gives birth on the bathroom floor.

The story takes place over a couple of months and focuses on how the birth affe
Aviecayl Uy
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
If truth be told, I was unable to have a connection with the characters, and overall... I just did not feel anything while reading this. It was okay, but I would've liked it more if the story revolved around the confrontation of the characters regarding the true father of the baby.

But still, if you want to read something about friendship, you might want to try this. Also, the cover design of this book is pretty, inclusive of its color and illustrations.
Albertine
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I really enjoyed this book. An interesting and refreshing take on the taboo subject of teenage pregnancy. I really liked the multiple viewpoint approach to the story, and found it worked really well considering the subject matter and the people involved. A really quick read also, which is the kind of thing I like to read in the Summer :)
Erin Milham
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
The writing style of this book was like it was stating the obvious but it wasn't actually. There is one character that I feel like was put in as an after-thought.
Carolyn
Feb 20, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
disclaimer: i really really disliked this book and i'm frustrated bc i was so excited to read it. i'm sorry if this review comes across as rude as i tend to get pretty rant-y when i dislike books. alsoooooooo i don't think I spoiled any plot points that weren't in the first 30 pages, so this is spoiler free!

positive thoughts about this book: it was interesting seeing teen pregnancy get some rep- you don't see that a lot in ya! also the cover of my arc (i think most editions of the book are the y
CherryCarrot
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Let me start by saying I loved the idea at the centre of The Baby - teen pregnancy story lines are plentiful, but there are fewer focusing on teen parenthood, especially entirely unprepared for. I love the front cover and have been thinking of reading it for a while.

Unfortunately, I was left disappointed by the book itself. My problems are two fold:

1. The structure - The Baby is told in five segments from five characters. I love it when authors try something different but I don't think the struc
Eve beinguniquebooks
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
At Olivia's seventeenth birthday house party, we see how Jonty her boyfriend is a controlling bully and commits domestic abuse, Ben is her gay best friend and Nicola is her best girl friend but hasn't known she was pregnant until that night as she gives birth!

Thing's only get worse when Olivia discovers whom the father and is broken despite the betrayal we see how she manages to cope and all the others too as their story is told a month by each character focusing solely on them and their life al
Kirsty
Aug 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I very seldom read YA nowadays, but the premise for this novel was so enthralling that I felt I had to give it a go. The book is a quick and easy read, but unfortunately this simplicity also creates its major downfalls. Having five protagonists gave a further insight into the plights felt throughout, however the chapters were so quick that it was hard to grow attached to each narrator. Drakeford addresses a number of social issues in this book, but flitters from person to person so quickly that ...more
Virginia Mcgarvey
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
When Nicola gives birth on the bathroom floor at her best friend Olivia’s seventeenth birthday party, she claims to have not known she was pregnant. But as Nicola is leaving the party by ambulance, an uncomfortable glance is exchanged between Nicola and Olivia’s boyfriend making Olivia suspicious about who the father is. A rift develops between the entire group of friends. Each chapter is narrated by a different character, the friends, and also Olivia’s socially awkward younger sister.

This fas
Olivia
Jan 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Ok, so, I loved this book so much, the character growth was gr8 and so were the characters themselves but what lost 2 stars for me, was the final part. Bens part. This may be me overreacting but it add nothing to the plot and it really ruined all that had been accomplished by everyone in the book. Honestly if u wanna read it just miss out his part. Please. U will thank me.
Diana
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found the 3rd person present tense a bit hard to get into for a little bit. But this was better than I was expecting. I quite enjoyed it. All of the perspectives were important to the story and added something different.
Becky (Blogs of a Bookaholic)
Lightweight, short and enjoyable. I liked the concept - an unexpected teen pregnancy and how the new arrival affects the parents and their friendship group. I also liked how each chapter was from a different character’s POV.

Didn’t blow me away but it was good!
Sue Jackson
An intricate story about a teen pregnancy, told from the differing perspectives of 5 friends. I enjoyed it on audio. Here's my full review:

Kylee D
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was very interesting and had my attention the whole time. I was very interested in the different points of views that the author wrote in with all of the main five characters. I recommend this book for people who enjoy realistic fiction and drama!!
Julie Goguen
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I think the author made a valiant effort at getting us to know each character and their POVs. The story had very important elements in it as well. A decent read 😁
Liz
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wasn't for me. But wasn't written for me either... I think the synopsis I read on my elibrary website was different then on Goodreads, dramatically changed the plot!
Kelsey
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars - I enjoyed this quite a lot! I really like how it ended but I would love a sequel to happen
Kelly Gunderman
Oct 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Check out this and other reviews on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

The cover for The Baby by Lisa Drakeford reminds me of my everyday life. Only with two kids who are pretty much mini tornadoes and destroy everything in their path, while calling me names and arguing with each other. Yeah, sometimes I miss the days when they were babies. But anyway, between that cover and synopsis, I was so sure that The Baby was going to be one of those laugh out loud books I just couldn't put
Sally
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, ya, identity
This is a well written YA book exploring the impact and consequences of an unplanned baby on a group of friends, thier families and thier futures.

Olivia is having a party at her house for her birthday. Her best friends Ben and Nicola are there along with Jonty, her possessive and controlling boyfriend. Olivia is determined to have a good time but still manages to keep an eye out for her friends/boyfriend and check in with her poorly little sister who is staying in her room with her dog for the e
June Jones
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short and sweet, an enjoyable read, teen pregnancy, party delivery, funny in parts, but overall enjoyed it.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Baby by Lisa Drakeford --> Starting 7th March 10 7 Mar 11, 2019 01:10PM

• Othergirl
  • My Box-Shaped Heart
  • Diary of a Mall Girl
  • Super Awkward
  • Second Best Friend
  • Countless
  • Love Bomb (Ladybirds, #2)
  • This Beats Perfect (This Beats Perfect #1)
  • A Change Is Gonna Come
  • Drop
  • One Silver Summer
  • Songs About A Boy (Songs About A Girl, #3)
  • Air (Blue #2)
  • Nightwanderers
  • Dead Romantic
  • Me and Mr J
  • Fashion Assassin (Jessica Cole: Model Spy, #2)
  • Only Love Can Break Your Heart
“You know, one of the best things in life is seeing a smile on a person's face and knowing that you put it there.” 1 likes