Start by marking “Through the Hostage (Cortii #1)” as Want to Read:
Through the Hostage (Cortii #1)

Read Book

Through the Hostage (Cortii #1)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  14 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Khyria Ilan is a commander in the Cortii, the most elite mercenary organisation in known space. With a past she can’t remember, and commanders who would love to see her dead, her future is likely to be short: her command faces their ultimate test to prove their right to survive.

When the odds are impossible, sometimes the only thing to do is play the game ...
Published February 28th 2015 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about Through the Hostage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through the Hostage

Andreas
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am a great Sci-Fi and Space Opera fan and I enjoyed Through The Hostage by J.C. Steel thoroughly. The setting in an cut-throat alien mercenary race was very well done and all the characters came to live for me. The story was convincing, very suspenseful and I am looking forward to the next books in the series.
Julie Whitley
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it

Through the Hostage by J C Steel is a story of intrigue within a unit of genetically altered trainee mercenaries on an alien world. A world full of danger, mistrust and political power. The action follows the leader of the unit, Khyria, her unofficial second, Taiva, and their human hostage, Jack. Khyria has not followed the straight path of the trainees. In veering from the expected, she has made a lot of enemies, both inside her command and in the political ranks. Rumour surrounds her and she a
Pallavi Sareen
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was a little too much to grasp and in the end it had me wondering if it balanced out with the plot. The whole new alien world with mercenaries, I found the ranks a bit confusing. But apart from that it was a great book. Khyria was a fearless leader, (she had to be with people trying to kill her all the time), and Taiva was a pretty good second in command. The abilities, politics, tests and trials it was all enthralling. And I flew through the book like a breeze.

I received a free copy
Aly
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was another wild and crazy adventure through Sci-fi world. I enjoyed the ride and all the fun we had. The action was great and I loved, Jack, the hostage who was human. This book has some mystery and suspense and lots of action and fun. * I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*
W. Boutwell
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my debut read of A Steel novel and it took some effort to sort things out.
It was well worth the effort.
Steel has the ability to make characters who, while regimented and subordinate to a command structure, have not abandoned their humanity ... well, their near-humanity. They are both recognizable and alien, comforting and disquieting.
The plot is intricate enough to show off Steel's writing chops, leading you down one primrose path after another before she throws you a slider.
I have bough
Aviar Savijon
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An amazing tale. I loved it!!!
Knockin' Books
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have a confession to make. I’m not a sci-fi fan. There, I’ve said it. Now, don’t get me wrong. I love sci-fi movies. Serenity is a particular favorite of mine. But in my books? I like to stick to my nice, comfy little reading rut, which just happens to be romance and the occasional zombie apocalypse book. But I’ve been thinking lately that it’s time expand my horizons. And because this book has a great-looking cover that was obviously professionally designed and a short but highly impactful bl ...more
Clare Meyers
Apr 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall, I enjoyed Through the Hostage, but it occasionally suffers from a lack of context. The story hangs together very well, and it creates an interesting look into at this group of mercenaries during the long stretches of story that deal with a single plot element, like the Cortia’s first mission and their final training mission. But in the in-between, things don’t always seem to click together quite like they should. There were times when I found myself asking why this event or that one was ...more
Boyko Ovcharov
Jun 09, 2016
J.C. Steel
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
James Davis
rated it did not like it
Dec 10, 2017
Brandee Adriance
Liberty
Yoselin Godinez
Goodreads Librari...: Please Combine 1 9 Sep 20, 2016 01:56PM
Born in Gibraltar and raised on a yacht around the coasts of the Atlantic, I’m an author, martial artist and introvert. In between the necessary making of money to allow the writing of more books, I can usually be found halfway to the further galaxy.

Science-fiction and urban fantasy are my favourite genres. I grew up on a rich diet of Anne McCaffrey, Tolkien, Dorothy Dunnett, and Jack Higgins; I c
More about J.C. Steel

Cortii (4 books)
  • Fighting Shadows (Cortii #2)
  • Elemental Affinity (Cortii #3)
  • Elemental Conflict (Cortii #4)