Start by marking “The Book of Ivy (The Book of Ivy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Book of Ivy (The Book of Ivy, #1)

The Book of Ivy

(The Book of Ivy #1)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  16,034 ratings  ·  2,431 reviews
Au nom de quoi seriez-vous prêt à tuer ?
À la suite d'une guerre nucléaire dévastatrice, la population des États-Unis s'est retrouvée décimée. Un groupe de survivants a fini par se former, mais en son sein s'est joué une lutte de pouvoir entre deux familles pour la présidence de la petite nation. Les Westfall ont perdu. Cinquante ans plus tard, les fils et les filles des a
Published March 5th 2015 by Lumen éditions (first published November 4th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Ivy, please sign up.
K R I've never read Cruel Beauty, so I can't compare based on reading experience, however, check the ratings and you will see TBoI has a MUCH higher…moreI've never read Cruel Beauty, so I can't compare based on reading experience, however, check the ratings and you will see TBoI has a MUCH higher rating. Trust me, it is worth the read.(less)

·  16,034 ratings  ·  2,431 reviews

Kassidy
I need the next book now. That was crazy!
~Poppy~
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"A boy who doesn't want to lie, married to a girl who can't tell the truth."

“You’re easy to read, Ivy, but the whole book of you is complicated.”

Wow, this is the first book that I loved the main characters(Ivy and Bishop❤) and no one else.. That's first!!! Except for the two of them I hated everyone else! I was suspicious about everything and everyone! I was right! And then, the ending ruined me!! Why????

"A boy who doesn't want to lie, married to a girl who can't tell the truth."

“You’re easy to read, Ivy, but the whole book of you is complicated.”

------------------------------------------------
1)I love Bishop! He is just amazing! He is caring and trustworthy! Even when they were married, he didn't touch her not once! I liked how their relationship was built! I loved their truth or dare game :P

2) I hated Mr. Westfall , Mr. and Mrs. Lattimer! But I really really hated Callie!! She is such a bitch! Mr. Westfall and Callie lied to Ivy about how her mother died..she thought that Mr. Lattimer killed her which is not true. She killed herself because she was in love with Mr. Lattimer even though she was married with Mr. Westfall..

So, they had both romance and political issues :P Democracy vs Monarchy!! Who is which? They acting like they are both monarchy and they want to lead!

Callie, Callie, Callie!!!

I hate her!!!!!!!!!
She is acting like a sister to Ivy but the only thing she wants is power!!! She manipulated Ivy to do whatever she wanted even to kill Bishop!

3) Ivy wanted to protect Bishop and she sacrifice herself. I respect that! He doesn't deserve to die but she also protected her family who didn't deerve it! Wtf?? They should have protected her and they were acting like she was crazy and she would do something like that "alone". I hate her family more than I hate Bishop's family. Only Bishop believed in her! But she lied to him!! And now Callie is free to do whatever she wants with Bishop!!!! I hate her!!!

And now, Ivy is beyond the fence and she is alone because of her family!!

"I grieve the daughter I was, the wife I never wanted to be, the killer I refused to become, the traitor I pretended to be. I am none of those things now. I raise my head and wipe my eyes. Daughter. Wife. Killer. Traitor. They are all old versions of me. Now I will become a survivor."

Lola
My name is Ivy Westfall, and my mission is simple: to kill the president’s son—my soon-to-be husband—and return the Westfall family to power.

So the premise is grandiose. AMAZING. I didn’t want to expect much from this book, but how could I not, with that enticing blurb and beautiful cover? In fact, it all screamed KICKASS! And a kickass dystopian book is always welcome. Always. But this book barely contained any action. There was secrecy and plotting, of course, but no real and convincing execution around them.
shady boots | #WatchPOSE
YES! DAT ENDING DOE.

Okay, I was totally prepared to give this, like, 3.5 or 4 stars. It was enjoyable, but there wasn't much going on storywise. And then somewhere nearing the end things went exactly in the direction I wanted it to go, and the ending--even though it's a cliffhanger--still left me really really fucking satisfied. I thought this book was good before, but after finishing it, I can honestly say I would stamp "AWESOME" onto the cover.

Also, side note; before I
April (Aprilius Maximus)
EXCUSE ME WHILE I PICK UP THE PIECES OF MY HEART THAT JUST SHATTERED ALL OVER THE PLACE
Jasmine
"A boy who doesn't want to lie, married to a girl who can't tell the truth."

The moment I saw this stunning cover, I've made up my mind whatever happened, I'll read it. Because, c'mon! Isn't it eye-catching?

-Her white backless dress indicated her early wedding.
-The knife held behind her back meant the very purpose she needed to get close to him.
-The silhouette of the city resembled where the story took place, including Westfall
Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway)

Lately, I have been a bit weary of hype. Hype can be a great thing because it enables you to find books you would otherwise never have picked up. However, it can also take the fun out of reading because you practically already know everything about a book before you’ve even read the first page. This is why I decided to pick up The Book of Ivy, which I really hadn’t heard that much about previously. In this case, the decision paid of. I really enjoyed this novel; it was a very short,
Jamie-leigh Haughn
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING!!!!

You guys, you NEED to read this! I couldn't put it down! I read it in 2 sittings which never happens! I loved everything about this book, the pacing was perfect, the characters were amazing, the love story was one of the best I've seen, not rushed, it was just perfect! Bishop is now one of my new book boyfriends for sure!

Its going to be a struggle waiting for the next book! I NEED to know what happens with Ivy!!!!!!

This book was sent t
Yesy (The Book Vagrant)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

This book has shattered my heart into a million pieces and I'll never be the same again.....I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!!

VIDEO REVIEW: https://youtu.be/0W55NkH4cfM
BLOG REVIEW: http://thebookvagrant.blogspot.com/20...
Shannon (leaninglights)
My thoughts on The Book of Ivy are quite simple: I loved it.

It's been awhile since I have picked up a straight young adult dystopian book and I have to say that the experience was refreshing. This book is a testament to the idea that less can be WAY more. There is nothing complicated or overly complex about the book and honestly, it is part of what made is so enjoyable.

Amy Engel was able to capture something familiar yet enticing with her balance between politics and roma
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
You can also read my review HERE.

"My mission is not to make him happy and bear his children and be his wife. My mission is to kill him"

Never mind that I have to wait for a year to read the sequel.

image

This book! This awesome and fantastic and brilliant book kept me up all night an I'm not even complaining! I
Riley
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OHMYGOD THIS WAS AMAZING
*review to come*
Lindsey Rey
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
[4.5 Stars]

Loved almost everything about this! I cried twice. I had to take off a half star because Ivy's actions for the last 100 pages or so were very frustrating for me to read. Highly recommend!!!
Kate (GirlReading)
4.5*

With politics, assassination plots, secrets and romance, The Book of Ivy is without a doubt one of the most enjoyable dystopians I have read in years.

I had no idea what to expect going in to this but I definitely don't expect to love it so much. It had me totally engrossed from the first page until the last. I adored the characters, (Bishop officially has a place in my heart) and the relationship dynamics were addictive and layered. I absolutely fell in love with the romance. Oh the romanc
Rusty's Ghost Engine (also known as.......... Jinky Spring)
Review also available at:

This book, especially the ending, gave me feels. The author did a really good job here of developing her characters, building her plot and writing in a beautiful, suspenseful style.

Let me start with Ivy, she was a really well thought out character whom I could emphasise with throughout the book (even though the way she never ratted
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
This book was so addicting! I had to stay up until 3:30AM to finish it because I had to know what happened. Bishop may also be my new book boyfriend. ;) All silliness aside this book was dark and provided an interesting perspective on women's rights and a society without democracy, and had me feeling very grateful for my own life. While the beginning of the book was a bit predictable, the ending certainly was not. I want the next book, but I've heard mixed things. We'll see...I don't think I can ...more
Wendy Higgins
I started this last night and finished by lunch today. SO GOOD! That cliffhanger was a doozy though, aaaaah!
Anatea Oroz
This review is also posted on my blog, Anatea's Bookshelf.

Every time I see a dystopia book, I'm kind of skeptic to read it because they all have so similar concept and I can't help but feel that I've already read something alike. I'm happy to say that it wasn't the case with The Book of Ivy. I was actually pleasantly surprised with its concept and its originality, even though it had some dystopia stereotypes. I ended up LOVING the book! Though, I think that a lot of my doubts were because of the cover.
Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥
***4.5/5 Stars***
Our story was written long ago, and it does not have a happy ending.

The Book of Ivy was so much fun, and I quickly devoured it in two sittings! It's just one of those books that you can step right into and easily enjoy it from the first page on. The characters, the world building, the way the story progressed, it was all so effortless to connect with. And yes, I'm definitely kicking myself for not picking up this book sooner!
Once I’m safely out of range, I realize this is the first time I’ve spent more thasooner!
Stars***
Rebekah
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Original Review at: www.awesomebooknuts.blogspot.com

What a GREAT book! I knew I wanted to read it but wasn't sure how I would enjoy it. Let me tell you how much I loved this book...I started it at 8:30ish in the evening and didn't put it down till after 2 in the freaking morning! AHHHH so good, in fact so good that I tweeted the author telling her how upset I am that I have to WAIT for book 2! GAH!

This book is engaging, entertaining, unputdownable, sweet, exciting, and devastating!

The story follows a society where 2 parties went to war, 1 party fell and
Sarah DiMento
I think I'm kind of burnt out on YA dystopia
Jaime Arkin
Is there an “I’m in love with Bishop Lattimer” club? Because I need to be in it.

The Book of Ivy is probably going to be on my list of favorite books come the end of the year… and even though It’s only January I feel pretty confident in saying that.

It’s the future, and a brutal nuclear war has left what we think of as the United States barely unrecognizable. A group of survivors banded together to create their own town, but the families couldn’t agree on how to govern the people and war broke o
Nina (Every Word A Doorway)
A light and quick read which does not strain too many brain cells. This reminded me a lot of The Selection – minus its painful main character, America Singer.

I read The Book of Ivy in one sitting. Despite its standard not being particularly high, I found my eyes glued to the pages, which brings to mind a term I’ve already used in my review for The Selection: Addictive YA rubbish.

I’m going to keep this light and short like the book itself.

The „rubbish“ part

The world-building was lacking. There’s som/>The
Kimi
4.5 stars.

When I first read the blurb of this book I just thought AMAZING. Some books you just know for sure that you'll enjoy them merely because of the premise.

I have to say I wasn't disappointed with this book, even though I feel like it wasn't as good as it could've been but still, I had a great time reading it! Let me tell you a little more about the story:

Ivy isstars.
Jillian
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from Entangled Teen Publishing in exchange for an honest review.

OH. MY. GOD.

I don't have any coherent thoughts at this point but here are some appropriate gifs. Stay tuned for a review on my booktube channel!

photo needadrink_zpsz8yw8r2y.gif

photo soulhurts_zps10oj2nls.gif

photo tumblr_lo1g6tgcf41qafrh6_zpsszczg56s.gif

photo 882847_zpsdnojvaw2.gif

I'm gonna need that sequel right now plskthx.

HAVE I CONVINCED YOU YET?? GO READ IT!!!
Elena
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SHUT THE FRONT DOOR

I wasn't expecting to love this book as much as I did. AT ALL.
I aboslutely and freakin' LOVED the characters.
Bishop is my guy. End of story.

Also, it's not funny at all, to end a book this way.
Highly recommending this book if you are a fan of dystopian novels!
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)

4 Stars

THE BOOK OF IVY was full of love, betrayals, murder plots, deception, and the courage to do what is in your heart, no matter the consequences...

I've had THE BOOK OF IVY on my radar for a while now, but since it sounded vaguely familiar to another book I read, ABERRANT, I was reluctant to pick it up. But my curiosity won me over and I finally decided to give THE BOOK OF IVY it's fair shot regardless of the similarities I thought they had. But I am pleasantly surprised to admit tha
Didi
Okay.. I loved this. I didn't know what I was getting into when I requested this from my library, but I wasn't disappointed. It's dystopian YA--yes, this sub genre is as common as breathing--and while this sub genre is also hard to refresh with new and exciting ideas, I really liked the premise of this one and how it moved.
Ivy Westfall is promised to Bishop Lattimer, the presidents son. I won't recap the history/synopsis because I want to highlight what I loved. She has a mission and that's to
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
See the full review @ A Perfection Called Books

Things that I loved about this book:

1. The Plot

There are so many qualities of The Book of Ivy that make it so wonderful. It's definitely my favorite dystopian novel of the year. The concept is interesting and well-executed. There are twists and turns that you never see coming. There were slow moments, there were fast-paced moments, the pacing was great. I felt that everything happened for a reason. Every scene held some i
Feminista
Rating: 5 out of 5.

This is one of the best YA novels I have ever read. I would absolutely and utterly recommend this book to dystopian and YA lovers alike.

A lot of authors can create a great setting. With dystopian and fantasy novels, the setting is the genre. But what a lot of authors do not and cannot get right are the characters.

This author got it right in strides.

When I pick up a novel these days, whether it is a dystopian YA or a contemporary romance or a historica

• Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Mirror X (The Van Winkle Project, #1)
  • The Wicked We Have Done (Chaos Theory, #1)
  • The Horde Without End (The World Without End #2)
  • Burn Out (Burn Out, #1)
  • Creators (The Lost Souls, #3)
  • Free to Fall
  • My Not So Super Sweet Life (My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century, #3)
  • Worlds Collide (Sunset Rising, #2)
  • Knight Assassin
  • The Eighth Guardian (Annum Guard, #1)
  • The Vault (The Farm, #3)
  • The Fearless
  • Plus One
  • Wisteria (Wisteria, #1)
  • Landry Park (Landry Park, #1)
  • The Headhunters Race (Headhunters #1)
  • Salt (Salt, #1)
Amy Engel is the author of THE ROANOKE GIRLS and THE BOOK OF IVY young adult series. A former criminal defense attorney, she lives in Missouri with her family. Her next literary thriller, THE FAMILIAR DARK, will be published by Dutton in Spring 2020.

The Book of Ivy (2 books)
  • The Revolution of Ivy (The Book of Ivy, #2)
“You’re easy to read, Ivy, but the whole book of you is complicated.” 105 likes
“He didn’t save me, though. He allowed me the freedom to save myself, which is the very best type of rescue.” 103 likes