Jump to ratings and reviews
“This isn’t a ghost we’re dealing with. If only it were that simple…”

Eighteen years ago, when psychic Ruby Davis was a child, her mother – also a psychic – suffered a nervous breakdown. Ruby was never told why. “It won’t help you to know,” the only answer ever given. Fast forward to the present and Ruby is earning a living from her gift, running a high street consultancy – Psychic Surveys – specialising in domestic spiritual clearance.

Boasting a strong track record, business is booming. Dealing with spirits has become routine but there is more to the paranormal than even Ruby can imagine. Someone – something – stalks her, terrifying but also strangely familiar. Hiding in the shadows, it is fast becoming bolder and the only way to fight it is for the past to be revealed – no matter what the danger.

When you can see the light, you can see the darkness too.
And sometimes the darkness can see you.

What’s been waiting, will wait no more…

276 pages, Kindle Edition

First published March 2, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Shani Struthers

41 books454 followers
It's all about the ghosts...

Here's the order my books come in:

Psychic Surveys Series:

Psychic Surveys Companion Novels:

Eve: A Psychic Surveys Prequel

Blakemort (Corinna's story)

Thirteen (Ness's story)

Rosamund (Rosamund Davis - Ruby's great-grandmother's story)

This Haunted World Series:

Reach for the Dead Book Three: Walker

Jessamine Series:

Jessamine

Comraich

Carfax House - A Christmas Ghost Story (standalone novella)

The Damned Season - A Christmas Ghost Story (standalone novella)

Summer of Grace - A standalone psychological thriller

Catch up with me via Facebook or on my website www.shanistruthers.com where you can sign up to my newsletter for all the latest information, offers and giveaways.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
21 (2%)
1 star
11 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 87 reviews
Profile Image for Andrew “The Weirdling” Glos.
257 reviews65 followers
July 30, 2018
I’m not totally sure where this novel lost me. To be perfectly honest, I’m not sure the problem lies with the author. I feel like this installment in the popular Psychic Surveys series was unfocused and meandering.

A large part of the book was preoccupied with the relationships between Ruby, her family, and the other members of her team. For what it’s worth, that’s an interesting dimension of the meta narrative that’s worthy to explore. What bugged me is that it seemed like the cases they work on this book were simple and uninspired. They seemed like arbitrarily picked filling that needed to be there in order to justify that this was a psychic surveys book.

This was mostly clearly brought about by regular references and explorations of Alastair Crowley. The author goes into a lot of deep analysis of Crowley’s work and how it relates to a case. This would normally be fun and illuminating. It would add real depth to the case. However, since this particular case was so two-dimensional, it just came off as distracting. It’s a little like trying to solve the mystery of stubbing my toe when I got out of bed this morning by writing 50 pages of dialogue regarding Isaac Newton’s work on mass, density, and force. My booboo just doesn’t require that level of analysis and philosophical provenance.

What I liked about the first installment was the balance of fun paranormal investigation on the one hand, and the different characters created and the relationships they form. In this novel, I felt like I was only getting half of what was on the plate the first time round. Accordingly, it took me longer than usual to get through this book. I felt like I got a chapter of paranormal mystery and then three chapters of the characters musing about themselves and one another. Ultimately, the characters weren’t worthy of so much exploration into their relationships, feelings, and deepest motivations. To be fair, this book is a romp about psychics and ghosts. It’s not Dickens and Hardy. It shouldn’t try to be.

I will probably read on, at least for one more book. The first was enjoyable. If the third book can throw in a good paranormal mystery like the book before, then I am good to go.
Profile Image for Bookish.
568 reviews22 followers
May 24, 2016
5 stars

This was much creepier than the first book, much, much creepier! It was darker too and instead of sleeping (which I should've been doing at 2am) I continued on with this because I had to see how it would end.

The characters are drawn out even more and you get to know more of their back stories especially that of Ruby and Jessica, you find out what happened all those years ago and you hope that everything will be ok in the end, that they'll face their 'demons' and be able to move forward.

It's took me a little longer than I wanted to get to this but now I've finished it in on track to finish 44 Gilmore Street before it's released on Friday. I have high hopes it will be just as good as this one.
Profile Image for Hanna-Anneli Belt.
224 reviews19 followers
December 29, 2018
Riveting Paranormal Horror Mystery

Riveting and interesting paranormal and psychological tale with an element of horror mixed into it. There are also heartwarming and loyal friendship and romance. It's very fascinating to get a glimpse into the professional life and work as well as challenges and rewards of psychic and paranormal surveys and investigations. This book is a degree darker than the previous book in this series. But well worth it. Heartily recommended.
Profile Image for John Bowen.
Author 8 books174 followers
April 19, 2015
If you read The Haunting of Highdown Hall, you'll have maybe noted a couple of trailing threads once that tale was told; in 'Rise to Me' Struthers pulls at them and something deliciously dark begins to unravel.

Tone was one of the things I appreciated about HH, if anything Rise works even better in this respect. Darker from the get go, we're primed for a journey from spiritualism into the occult; it's a cracking journey too, full of foreboding, twists and turns and Ruby's and her family's past, that expands the mythology of the PS world and builds to very satisfying conclusion.

I read the first novel and this one back to back. Not intentionally, I was about to begin another book, but made the mistake of checking out Rise's first chapter. Somehow I ended up half a dozen chapters in before I knew it. I'm glad I did, though. It turned out an ideal way to enjoy the books.

Guess we'll all have to wait for book 3. Struthers can consider me on board.

- John Bowen is the author of 'Where the Dead Walk' and 'Vessel'. You can find him here on GoodReads, and his published work at Amazon.
Profile Image for Mark Tilbury.
Author 24 books258 followers
January 1, 2016
Following on from The Haunting of Highdown Hall, this book finds business improving for psychic Ruby Davis. She also begins to be affected by events in her past and she quickly realises she'll need the help of her team of psychics to overcome the darkness in front of her.

Shani Struthers has done a great job with this book. The characters all work brilliantly together and you get to know them all more as the plot moves along. I liked how Ruby's childhood and her relationship with her mother were at the center of the story.

This is much darker than Highdown and the imagery created is genuinely creepy. The focus is on good vs evil, the human perception of evil, and fear. Descriptions of both the dark (evil) and light (love) are really well done, as are the character's reactions to what is happening. I felt that the use of Ruby's childhood was done well. The past and present mixed seamlessly.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I was also pleased that Jed had decided to stay with Ruby, but would like to know why. I hope that one day, why he returned from the light will be explained. An excellent paranormal thriller. Highly Recommended.
Profile Image for Jaye Marie.
Author 16 books50 followers
April 21, 2015
The opening prologue of this stunningly unusual second book in the series, instantly grabs you by the throat. We meet Ruby, a young psychic child, one already well used to communicating with spirits, finding herself confronted with one who is not human or ever was.

Fast-forward 18 years and Ruby now runs a successful domestic spiritual clearance business, called Psychic Surveys, using psychic detection to solve old crimes.
In the course of her job, she encounters an angry ghost and tries to help it move on, but this turns out to be no ordinary haunting. Usually good at her job, she finds herself confronted by something very unexpected. Something she may not be able to do anything about, as something from her past comes back to haunt her.

On a lighter note, all psychics have a spirit guide, and Ruby’s is far from ordinary. Hilariously different and fiercely protective, Ruby’s guide is a dog called Jed.

This book has everything. Well written with very believable characters.
A nightmare ending, brilliantly suspenseful and gripping.

I enjoyed reading it immensely.

Profile Image for Seumas Gallacher.
Author 12 books455 followers
April 21, 2015
...loved this...

...Rise To Me is the first ever read for me in the paranormal genre...and I was rewarded with a terrific narrative... Shani Struthers has brought clever characterisations to her ‘living’ players, but even more so to the ‘other beings' wrapped so well into the story... my pre-formed notion of how this kind of genre plays out were kicked into touch within a couple of chapters, and I was hooked... tension there certainly is, but well-timed counterpoint passages introduce some splendid light-touch humour... no spoilers from me, but the peaks and troughs carry well the definition and pace... the overlay of psychics who are, in the most part, ordinary folks like anyone else, except in their ability to help ‘carry others to the light’.... a beautifully spun book...
738 reviews4 followers
March 12, 2017
Slightly Disappointed

I didn't feel that this book was as enjoyable as others I have read by the same author. It felt rather laboured and strung out. The main characters lacked depth. Shani Struthers is a good story teller, but this was not one of her better efforts. However, it will not stop me downloading other books by the same author.
Profile Image for Terry  .
627 reviews25 followers
September 27, 2017
I thought this was spooky and atmospheric. Dark things and inner evil. Is it a real thing? This made me think of the substance of people and how we can be a conduit to and for other things.
Loved the Lasher link. Brilliant books too! Some humour too. Lightened but then boom back into the dark.
The narrator was good, a nice calm voice that got the eerie across and the horror. Extremely good
Profile Image for Mistress Maleficent.
235 reviews13 followers
February 14, 2018
Rise to me is the second book in the psychic surveys series. In the first book we met Ruby and her team that make up psychic surveys. There were teasers in there that come to light in this one. It focuses on Ruby and her family, in particular her mother Jessica, whom we know has suffered for most of Rubys life.

Now, I loved Highdown Hall and rated it 5 stars. Could this one live up to it? Seeing how high the bar was set. Well, let me tell you, yes, it did. In fact, if I’m being completely honest (which I do try to be) Rise to me surpassed it! This one was so much darker and far more sinister. The atmosphere that Shani created was creepy, tense, and eerie. Guaranteed to get those nerve endings tingling and your hairs on the back of your neck standing to attention. Freaking awesome!

In this one we find out a lot more about the characters and their back stories, what made Ruby who she is today. What has been following her in the shadows since she was a child. It is time for Ruby to confront her past and her Demons….

The tone of this being what it is, is perfect for the journey we are taken on. Shani has a gift for writing this sort of thing and immersing the reader into the story. I felt real empathy with the people involved in this, and found my heart racing at certain points. This story touches on a lot of subjects relating to the paranormal/supernatural including spiritualism & the occult. What I particularly loved personally was the amount of depth that was involved. It is clear the author knows exactly what she’s talking about. There was no unnecessary “fluffing”. Shani has the ability to almost lull us. It’s all happy go lucky one moment and the next you’re in total despair! Absolute stroke of genius. Talk about messing with your head!

I have done a lot of research on this subject/s myself over the years, and I found I could completely understand everything Shani had included in the novel. THIS is how I can tell the author knows her stuff, clearly a lot of research has been done in order to produce something of such a high standard.

I thoroughly enjoyed this story, just in case it wasn’t obvious to you. The plot development was excellent and it left me looking forward to reading more and wanting to know more about the individuals involved. Bringing Jed, the ghost dog, into it had the benefit of adding a touch of a more light hearted nature. He appears at just the right time, every time. I thought this was a special touch by the author and works well.

I listened to this on audible whilst I was at work and it was the perfect accompaniment. I work in a Manor house that is centuries old, about 600 years old, and i’m on my own. Hence the audible books. This was brilliantly narrated, really gave the extra dimension to the story and brought it to life. Obviously I have the book as well as it will need reading again. But whichever way you choose to devour this novel, I guarantee you wont be disappointed.
43 reviews1 follower
April 12, 2017
Really enjoyed this second Psychic Surveys novel from Shani Struthers. The characters that appeared in the first book all came together again and even more delightfully, the appearance (or not!) of Jed, the ghost dog was an added bonus. I found the addition of this furry member of the Psychic Surveys Team a pleasant lift to the storyline. Ruby was the main feature in this story, together with her boyfriend Cash and it was great to see how Jessica, Ruby's mother, was able to find her voice and tell her story too. I found it a very fast paced and exciting book, very dark in parts - sometimes so intriguing that I could not put it down on several occasions. Just one minor point, the amount of times Ruby "bit the inside of her cheek" must have been very painful for her! This phrase was used throughout the story and I found it rather annoying! Nevertheless, a very good book (with thankfully, just a couple of editing errors), and one I would recommend to others who like a good paranormal tale. I have downloaded the third book and am looking forward to reading that.
Profile Image for d.mcnicholas.
59 reviews
October 30, 2018
A darker tale

This is the second book in the Psychic Surveys series and an altogether more sinister story. It has that the crawly, creepiness that makes the back of your neck tingle. I made the mistake of reading parts when alone in the evening. I won't be doing that again!
Ruby and the gang must fight an age old evil that just won't leave her alone. Ruby shines and it's drawn to her. It's been lurking in the shadows a long time and Ruby must go into battle. Luckily she has an amazing group of people who love her...and one loyal spirit whos a faithful dog...or is he? You also get to learn more of Ruby's mum's history which tied some loose ends nicely.
Once again Shani Struthers has delivered an entaintaining , down right scary tale. On to book three!
51 reviews2 followers
March 28, 2017
A good read

I only gave 4 stars because it at one point almost lost my interest. Not enough to really put it down but it started to feel hohum. It is a good second in the series and I will get the next one also. It is good to have Jessica come into the story and be a mom. At least it appears she will. I have yet to read if that actually happens..

Profile Image for Sharlene.
198 reviews
July 2, 2017
I enjoyed the first book so much I immediately went and bought the next 3.
As promised this story definitely gets darker. All I can say is, it's not good to read this just before going to sleep!
A great, dark, nail biting read. I'm off to read book 3.
Profile Image for Noelle Kelly.
186 reviews8 followers
December 29, 2017
I moved on to this straight after the first book in the series and this was much darker and scarier. After being introduced to them in book 1 I was terrified for them in book 2. There were some scary scenes in this book and I loved it!
Profile Image for Sean Talbot.
934 reviews22 followers
March 7, 2022
Okay this is going to sound strange but the beginning was good the middle was just not for me but the end quarter was phenomenal. I already have pulled down book 3 of this series to see how it goes especially as I am really enjoying the character of ruby and cash
September 3, 2019
Fantastic read.....

Give me book 3 now. Am invested in all the characters. So I Can’t wait to see what happens next.
Profile Image for Natasha du Plessis.
1,012 reviews7 followers
July 6, 2018
I enjoyed this book as much as book 1 in the series. We get to know Ruby more in this book and also what happened to her mother years ago. I look forward to reading the next book in the series. Great writing with great characters.
Profile Image for Book Monitor.
730 reviews11 followers
April 28, 2017
This second in the series was a darker tale. Ruby and her family take the centre stage. This goes back to what her mother experienced and challenges all the psychic survey gang but especially Ruby.
It is well written and gripping and although I didn't like this as much as the first I liked the character development and felt that Ruby whilst interesting isn't always likeable. She doesn't always make wise decisions and she can be downright stroppy. Of the other charcters Ness is the least developed to me and feels unknown but this may be deliberate.
The pace is steady but not breathtaking and there are a few areas where things drag a little but overall a good and enjoyable read.
Profile Image for Desiree O'donnell.
5 reviews1 follower
May 18, 2017
A little slow going but good

I think I liked the first book better. This one was a little slow going and took me a lot longer to finish. I will try book 3 and see how that one goes. All in all however, the book was good.
Profile Image for Lisa Osler.
41 reviews
December 11, 2019
A gripping continuation for ruby and her gifts , she shines brightly.
Read thos in 1 day as I couldn't put it down ! These are my favourite types of books and will read and read hoping for more alike.
Thankyou shani struthers amazing books xx
34 reviews1 follower
May 17, 2017
Ruby

I choose this rating but c cause I enjoyed it. A bit frightening but was a good read. I will read more
441 reviews1 follower
July 22, 2017
Oh WOW just finished the Rise To Me the second book in the psychic surveys series it was amazing, when I first started reading I didn't think I was going to like this one as much as the first, but when I was a few chapters in I couldn't put it down, it is a truly gripping story now I can't wait to read the third, and usually I like a break between books in a series, but not this series I absolutely can't get enough of it.
Profile Image for Joy.
310 reviews3 followers
May 31, 2017
Rise To Me...
Better than the first book and that one was pretty great. Definitely more tense moments for Ruby and company this time around. I'm glad this story wasn't set directly on the heels of the previous.
I appreciate that rather than have this span a short time frame (of days or weeks) it is a struggle of months. It shows that the writer is well aware that not all problems are solved lickety-split.
43 reviews1 follower
August 21, 2019
A fun ride along with a family and their manifested demon

This story is about how fear and fright can feed someone's life into the dark. Not. a spirit the ladies can help but something conjured out from the mind that can actually kill . I have a little trouble with some of the UK slang. I can hardly wait to start reading the next book in this series.
2 reviews
October 12, 2017
Brilliant read

Absolutely loved this book! Shani Struthers is a great author can't wait to read the other books in this series!
November 2, 2017
rise to me

This is the second book in the series about Ruby and her team and I've got to say I loved both books and I've just downloaded two more.really good read couldn't put this one down 😀😀
Displaying 1 - 30 of 87 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.