Jump to ratings and reviews

A Mistake of Consequence

A Mistake of Consequence is historical romantic adventure, set in the bustling port city of Colonial Philadelphia at the beginning of the French and Indian War. The story explores both the limitations and the possibilities of life in 18th century America, when any man or woman could be held as property, and ideals of equality were a distant dream. Rich with the details of life long ago, Callie’s journey of self-discovery reflects a timeless need for love and belonging.

276 pages, Paperback

First published February 17, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Terri Evert Karsten

8 books10 followers
Terri Karsten writes mostly historical fiction with a touch of mystery. Her novel, A Mistake of Consequence, won the B.R.A.G. Medallion.

Terri has also dabbled in non-fiction and short story anthologies.

Currently living near the Mississippi River in Minnesota, Terri grew up in California. When she's not writing or reading, or teaching high school English, Terri loves to hike in the mountains and travel.

Terri Evert Karsten also publishes under Terri Karsten

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (4%)
1 star
2 (8%)
Displaying 1 - 11 of 11 reviews
Profile Image for Robert Krenzel.
Author 10 books50 followers
May 23, 2016
Firstly, when I read contemporary fiction I do not expect to find phrases or sentences so beautifully written they make me stop and read them again. That happened when I read A Mistake of Consequence by Terri Karsten. Bravo!

Secondly, it is REALLY hard to write a coherent story using only first person. In A Mistake of Consequence, Terri Karsten pulls it off brilliantly.

Thirdly, it takes an incredible amount of research, skill, and discipline to give characters a realistic 18th Century Scottish brogue. Terri makes it seem easy.

Fourthly, it is a rare author who can transport her reader to the 18th Century and immerse the reader in the horrors and humanity of sea travel and the lives of indentured servants. Terri Karsten is such an author.

I strongly recommend this book to anyone, young adult and older, who wants a glimpse into life in the American Colonies in the the mid 18th century. You are in for a treat!
Profile Image for Stacie.
65 reviews4 followers
May 21, 2021
What a lovely story. It flowed so well and I couldn’t put it down. Historically seemed very accurate. I highly recommend. Also very excited that this was from a local author.
Profile Image for Library.
369 reviews
October 26, 2019
Adult: Romance: Not very good, debated about a 1 or 2 rating. It only rated a 2 because I ended up finishing the book instead of putting it on the DNF pile. Although the plot could have been fine, albeit a completely predictable romance, the main character was just awful. None of her actions and emotions seemed reasonable. (And I didn't have enough eye-rolls to keep up with the amount of times Callie would 'turn suddenly' or be 'dizzy' or 'weak' and just happen to fall into Davy's arms.) The book was riddled with one dimensional characters and writing issues. The only reason I finished it was because I hadn't had time to visit the library and this book was given to me free.
Profile Image for Helen Hollick.
Author 39 books504 followers
May 7, 2019
This book has received a Discovering Diamonds Review:
Helen Hollick
founder #DDRevs

"A good story. American readers, in particular, will enjoy the Philadelphia setting. "
Profile Image for Kathryn Bigelow.
48 reviews1 follower
August 28, 2015
I won this book from the Goodreads contest and finally had a chance to read it. How I received this book has no impact on my review.

This was a delightful read despite my missing the fact it was a romance. While I hardly ever read romance, I did find this was an easy and interesting read. I really liked the historical nature of the story although the historical "gossip" wasn't detailed enough to interest me in the larger picture of the world. The viewpoint character was well written but at times very childish and selfish, getting what she deserved from her behavior. I would have liked to see her grow a backbone and act smart near the end rather then seemingly impulsively which got her in the situation she was in in the first place. A fun read with twists and turns to keep the reader engaged and the story moving.
Profile Image for Sara Whitford.
Author 10 books303 followers
August 31, 2016
A Mistake of Consequence drew me in instantly. Terri Evert Karsten is a superb writer who knows her history and is a masterful storyteller. She's spun a tale with a colorful cast of characters, believable dialogue (complete with that lovely Scottish brogue!) and plenty of mid-18th century vernacular, as well as brilliant descriptions that make you feel like you are right there as the story unfolds before you.

More than once as I read this novel I wanted to scream at Callie Beaton. How headstrong she is! You can almost guess what she'll do next, even if you're desperately hoping she'll be wiser next time. Nevertheless, she's an endearing character, as is the irresistible Davy McRae.

Without a doubt, I'll be on the lookout for future novels by this author.
3 reviews1 follower
July 1, 2016
Speaking as one who's typically critical of historical fiction, I can honestly say this book drew me in and delighted me. It's a rare story that can star a headstrong, stubborn person, and yet make them easy to relate to and cheer for. Callie's journey is fun to follow; both her actual voyage and her inward growth.

The setting is colorful, the mystery intriguing, and the accents contagious! The plot keeps you questioning till the very end, and has a satisfying resolution. I'm looking forward to rereading, so I can catch the hints of the truth I missed the first time. Clear writing keeps tension even in the mundane moments, and blends emotion and drama with the logical progression of events. Truly a worthwhile read!
Profile Image for Linda Graham.
Author 10 books46 followers
April 20, 2015
I loved the history in this crossing-the-Atlantic story and thought the author did a wonderful job building a believable setting—both on the ship and in Philadelphia.

McRae, Mary and Peg were compelling characters, but Callie was a little too headstrong, spoiled, and irrational for my taste. I also had some difficulty separating the Ashers from one another and understanding their motives, especially at the end. Still, the dialogue flowed throughout, making this a quick read.

It's an enjoyable book, and I’ll certainly look for more by this author.
Profile Image for C.L..
Author 4 books12 followers
September 7, 2015
Callie Beaton's hair-trigger temper gets her into huge trouble and sets her literally on a life-changing voyage. This is a book that shows how well first-person narrative can work--for the right story. Outstanding writing, terrific storytelling, and hard to put down.
Profile Image for gj indieBRAG.
1,475 reviews59 followers
November 3, 2015
We are proud to announce that A MISAKE OF CONSEQUENCE by Terri Evert karsten is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells a reader that this book is well worth their time and money!
Displaying 1 - 11 of 11 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.