Start by marking “Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #1)

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle #1)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  48,107 Ratings  ·  1,188 Reviews
Everyone loves Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle lives in an upside-down house and smells like cookies. She was even married to a pirate once. Most of all, she knows everything about children. She can cure them of any ailment. Patsy hates baths. Hubert never puts anything away. Allen eats v-e-r-y slowly. Mrs Piggle-Wiggle has a treatment for all of them.

The incomparable
Published August 14th 2007 by HarperCollins (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, please sign up.
Maria Allison H, this book's guided reading level is O, which makes it's complexity suitable for children aged 8-10 depending on their own reading level. The…moreH, this book's guided reading level is O, which makes it's complexity suitable for children aged 8-10 depending on their own reading level. The content and silliness of the book is appropriate for children this age as well. It was recommend to me from a 4th grade student. (less)

Janet
Banned books:

Are you there God, its me, Margaret
Huckleberry Finn
Heather has two Mommies

Why are people wasting their time on those well meaning books when Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle is still out there on shelves, unchallenged, messing with people's heads?! I read this odd little book when I was about eight and STILL have recurring nightmares about The Radish Cure. I just reread it today, trying to vanquish my fears, and now I'm afraid to go to sleep.

I will not go into details about The Radish Cure except
Ivonne Rovira
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who is or ever has been a child
Having been disappointed by Betty MacDonald’s The Egg and I, I returned to the book I first read 50 years ago, the one that made me adore MacDonald: Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle. The tales involving the tiny, eccentric widow with her upside-down house, dog Wag, cat Lightfoot, pony Spotty, delightful games, and amazing insight.

Betty MacDonald’s slim book delighted me as much now in late middle age as it did when I was a young girl, laughing out loud at Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle’s “cures” for wayward children: the
belle ✨(bookishlybelle)
Literally everyone should read this book.

IT IS SO CUTE AND HILARIOUS. My mom read this to me countless times growing up and each time I reread I fall in love with the whimsical magic and hilarity all over again.
Marvin
Aug 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Wow. I forgot all about these books. Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle was an eccentric lady that parents turned to when they became frustrated with their children's misbehavior. Her techniques were pretty predictable. Let the child do what they want until their behavior back-fired, then she would tell the parents to do some nasty little trick that sent the kids running to the sanctity of good behavior. For instance, when the children wouldn't wash, she would let them get really dirty, then plant radish seeds ...more
Jessica
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Delightful as ever! Read it aloud to the kids (8 and 4), they both loved it. As a kid I thought this book was hilarious, as an adult I found that I kept pausing and looking meaningfully at my children, to see if they were paying attention to what happens to little boys and girls who quarrel or don't pick up their toys! I love how full of details about life back in the 1950's these books are: the mothers are home all day, cleaning and cooking. Children eat snacks like thick slices of gingerbread ...more
Kellyn Roth
I remember reading this when I was little. A little cliche and silly ... but it was kind of amusing.
Emily
Apr 10, 2010 rated it liked it
I never encountered Mrs Piggle-Wiggle as a child, but I know that many people who did really adore this series. Coming to it as an adult, I feel like I've missed out on some kind of special magic that it must have, because while I liked it well enough, it's hard for me to see how it could inspire such fond devotion.

I read Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle to my six-year-old, having just recently resolved to make more of an effort to read aloud chapter books to him (we've been stuck in a loop, reading the same
Terris
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just read this book for the second time -- the last time was in 3rd grade!! I re-read it for a challenge that had a "book from your childhood" category. And now I remember why I enjoyed Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle so much! She doesn't have any children of her own, but the neighborhood children love her and come to visit every day. And all their mothers call her for cures for such childhood ailments as: "won't-pick-up-toys-itis"; "answer-backers disease"; and "never-want-to-go-to-bedders' syndrome." Mrs ...more
Leigh Anne
Jan 25, 2009 rated it liked it
As a parent, I have tried to steer my children toward some of the books I loved as a child, with indifferent success. I chalked it up to the generation gap, among other things. So I could hardly believe it a few years ago when my kids went mad, I mean bonkers, for Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, a children's book character who is like the 1940s version of Willy Wonka. As a result, I have read nearly every episode in the life of Mrs. P.-W., and I must warn anyone tempted to go down the same road that the sto ...more
Ann
Jan 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, k-6, fantasy
I remember adoring the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books when I was little, except for Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Farm because it didn't have any magical cures in it. I was surprised to find that this first book in the series didn't include them either. I didn't love it as much as I think I will love re-reading the next couple of books, but I still think the little stories are really fun. I love the old-fashioned feeling of these books. However, the radish cure story is the grossest thing ever and I had to cri ...more
Jeremy Hurd-McKenney
When standard child abuse is no longer effective to rid your little ones of their bad habits, it's Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle to the rescue! In stark contrast to the aggressive vitriol and lies employed by Mary Poppins, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle has a friendly, unpolished exterior, which she uses to her advantage to get children to bend to her will through a variety of subtle tortures and passive-aggressive homespun remedies. The Radish Cure was particularly disturbing.

One of the children mentioned in the boo
j
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even better than I remember them. I love all the kids' utterly ridiculous names. The kid digs them too. Hopefully we can correct her with the Won't-Pick-Up-Her-Toys Cure.
Carissa
My sister read a ton of children's fiction growing up. She had diverse tastes (still does), and so her books were a little bit of everything, including the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle series. I was pretty much a Hardy Boys kinda girl, so our tastes almost never crossed, but now that we're both adults, I'm actually trying some of her favorite books when she was a kid. Hence my rather odd choice of Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle for this challenge.

I LOVED it. You have this dear older widow woman who befriends pretty m
Brittany
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My girls loved this book! Very entertaining read aloud. My 6 year old said “I want to give it one hundred million stars. I love Mrs Piggle Wiggle so much!”
Kami
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
- I wish Mrs. Piggle Wiggle were real, and that her cures for all sorts of behaviors really worked. It would be amazing!

- I loved reading this as a kid. I remember wanting a neighbor like Mrs. Piggle Wiggle. It was still fun to read as an adult. I love books that you can read at any age.

- My daughter read this by herself, and she enjoyed it. She thought it was really funny. I kinda wish we had read it together. It would be a fun book to read aloud.

- I recommend this to everyone!
Shawn Thrasher
Oct 24, 2013 rated it liked it
It’s 1947: the war has been won by the good guys, the depression was over, everyone was rich and had a big car, families were gigantic, no one was ethnic (at least in this part of town), and moms must have been worried sick about raising their kids the All American Right Way. In steps Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle with all sorts of amazing cures for selfishness, not going to bed, not picking up toys, not bathing (my favorite story in the whole bunch). Voila - problem solved! The mothers can go back to thei ...more
Drew
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood-books
Delightful! Fun to go back in time and remember my love of Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle.
Samuel
Feb 22, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
There was a trend in children's literature in the early and mid-20th century for books about quasi-magical people who were courageous and clever and seemed to know everything about everything. It's the model that gave us Doctor Doolittle, Pippi Longstocking, and Mary Poppins, and when it works, it can produce the framework for memorable, enchanting stories.

When it doesn't work, it gives us Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle.

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle lives in an upside-down house, and is a great friend of children. Eac
Jonathan Penn
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book aloud to my third grade class. Here are some of their reviews:

"It's a really good book to read to other people."

"I think it was an awesome book when you read to us. It made me feel like when I get to 20 years old and I graduate from highschool - I want to read that book."

"It is awesome."

"It is fun when you read it to kids."

"I give it six stars!"

"It should be handed to other people so they can read it."

"It is funny."

"It is fun when a teacher reads it to you."

"It can teach you som
Nancy
Apr 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
No one ever claimed the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle series was great literature, but it still is fun. Written in the mid 50's, at least the first book has aged better than I might have expected. It is not too dated to still be a great early chapter book and family read aloud. Kids will be kids, afterall, and Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle knows how to show them the errors of their ways.
Ruth
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dear Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, I never knew you when I was a child, but how happy I am to meet you as an adult. Thanks for being so lovely to kiddos--even when they misbehave. I am so happy to have met you at the local library, and will look forward to seeing you there again sometime and learning more delightful problem-solving tips from you. Your new friend, Ruth.
Josiah
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book, it’s so funny and I don’t know how anyone could turn such an amazing book down. This is for anyone who loves funny stories.
Kate Audsley
One of the best read alouds of 2017. I love the ones capable of sending my olders into laughter so hard they need me to 'hold' them. This was special to us.
Virginia
May 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, library
kinda cute and fun but really out-dated. I am interested in reading the more recent sequels though...
Kendra G. ツ ~There is some good in this world, and it's worth fighting for~
Fun and entertaining! Quite interesting :P
Elaix
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Člověk si uvědomí kolik času uplynulo od doby, kdy tuhle knížku kdysi četl nahlas ve škole až ve chvíli, kdy ji vytáhne jako "dobrej nápad na procvičování" dětem na doučku.
Kate
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This book is silly - but I have always loved it.
Lori
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a super fun book. My kids were cracking up at the funny names! We just mention one of the names and we'll all start laughing again. My 3.5 year old totally followed along too.
Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺
Just okay. It’s one of those kids’ books where each chapter is a little story in itself and the plot is not ongoing.
Nancy Kotkin
Children's chapter book that I loved as a child, though I'm less in love with it as an adult. An older childless woman uses natural consequences to teach the neighborhood children the lessons that they need. Each chapter features a different child with a distinct issue.

Originally published in the 1940s, this book is dated. For example, there is a mention of listening to "radio programs" as a family activity at night and a child wearing a "petticoat."
Mrs. Piggle Wiggle Review 1 4 May 18, 2015 12:33PM
What's the Name o...: Children's Chapter Book with Woman in Upside Down House [s] 3 108 Jul 25, 2012 02:57PM
  • Homer Price
  • Henry and Ribsy (Henry, #3)
  • Betsy-Tacy and Tib (Betsy-Tacy, #2)
  • Lady Lollipop
  • Elmer and the Dragon (My Father's Dragon, #2)
  • Tales of Robin Hood
  • The Year of Miss Agnes
  • Gooney Bird Greene
  • Betsy and Billy
  • The Enormous Egg
  • Understood Betsy
  • Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1)
  • Little Pear
  • Jenny and the Cat Club: A Collection of Favorite Stories about Jenny Linsky
  • Mr. Popper's Penguins
  • Mercy Watson to the Rescue (Mercy Watson #1)
  • The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (The Herdmans #1)
The first book written by Betty MacDonald, The Egg and I , rocketed to the top of the national bestseller list in 1945. Translations followed in more than 30 languages, along with a series of popular movies. In the wake of World War II, the hilarious accounts of MacDonald's adventures as a backwoods farmer's wife in Chimacum Valley were a breath of fresh air for readers around the world. On the n ...more
More about Betty MacDonald

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle (8 books)
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Magic (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #2)
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Farm (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #3)
  • Hello, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #4)
  • Happy Birthday, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #5)
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Won't-Take-a-Bath Cure (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #6)
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Bad Table-Manners Cure (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #7)
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Cry-Baby Cure (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #8)

Fiction Deals

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • The Miseducation of Cameron Post
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Sideways
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Warleggan: A Novel of Cornwall, 1792-1793 (Poldark)
  • I Capture the Castle
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“Penelope (the parrot) squawked, ‘I’ll do it because I want to but not because you tell me to!’ Mary was certainly surprised at that because she thought that she had made up that brilliant remark. She didn’t dare to look at her mother….” 0 likes