Start by marking “City of Echoes (Detective Matt Jones #1)” as Want to Read:
City of Echoes (Detective Matt Jones #1)

City of Echoes

(Detective Matt Jones #1)

On Detective Matt Jones’s first night working Homicide in LA, he’s called to investigate a particularly violent murder case: a man has been gunned down in a parking lot off Hollywood Boulevard, his bullet-riddled body immediately pegged as the work of a serial robber who has been haunting the Strip for months. Driven by the grisliness of the killing, Jones and his hot-temp

Published September 1st 2015 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about City of Echoes, please sign up.
Kerry i felt the same way!!! so good up until the ending. i just found out there is a sequel. That should answer some of our questions !
Patricia I. Yes. The second book comes out August 2, 2016. It's called The Love Killings.

✨Susan✨
Even though this book was entertaining, when it ended I felt like it was the same ole story that I have read before. The characters were good and the narrative was good but I felt the way the story built up it could have had a more creative ending.
James Goldsworthy
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not very good

Not sure how this book is getting 5 stars. I found it completely unbelievable and boring. Every character rings untrue. By the end I was just skipping pages to get it done. Really disappointed in the quality of these FIrst Read books.
Ms.pegasus
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Ms.pegasus by: Amazon flash-sale freebie
Shelves: fiction, thriller
This crime thriller is set in L.A. It opens as Det. Matt Jones is planning to meet his long time friend Kevin Hughes, a detective in North Hollywood. Jones is celebrating his promotion to Hollywood Homicide. While awaiting Hughes' arrival, he receives a call from his new supervisor, Lt. Bob Grace, summoning him to a murder scene a scant block away from the restaurant. He quickly texts Hughes that dinner is off and sprints down the block. Multiple gunshot wounds to the face have made the victim u ...more
Storey Sears
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Cliche

This story is all over the place. I think the author took every plot line and twist from every book he ever read and put it in here. Rambling and tries way too hard to create a scene...Just too many words.
Judy Collins
A special thank you to Thomas & Mercer and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Robert Ellis introduces a gritty, new LA Homicide cop, Matthew Trevor Jones, the first in the series, CITY OF ECHOES an intense, fast-paced Hollywood noir-style detective crime thriller.

Matt Jones is excited about celebrating his promotion to Hollywood Homicide, with his friend over dinner and drinks, when he receives a call from his supervisor, Bob Grace. He is to start the following day.

An em
Michelle
Planning to celebrate his promotion to Hollywood Homicide with his best friend and mentor, Detective Matt Jones has to cancel at the last minute when he gets called to his first murder scene. In the course of his investigation, he is led in the direction of a series of grisly murders, and begins to investigate their connection to his own murder case, and quickly begins to wonder if there is anyone he can trust.

This is not nearly of the caliber of Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series, but defini
Terri Lynn
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Detective Matt Jones is about to celebrate his new job as an LAPD homicide detective with his best friend, fellow detective Kevin Hughes, who he had gone through Afghanistan with in the military. He is in the restaurant waiting for Kevin when he gets a call from his new boss Lt. Bob Grace asking him to start work a night early by meeting his new partner Denny Cabrera at the scene of a murder in a parking lot across the street from a police precinct. He is horrified to find that the murdered man ...more
Amanda Lee
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
So I picked this book out via the Kindle First books, and I'm glad I did, because holy crap this book was so boring and I'm happy that I didn't pay to read it. About a quarter of the way through I felt like I had to force myself to finish it because it just seemed to drag on. I didn't really go in expecting much, but man my expectations were too high to begin with. Matt Jones, the protagonist of the story, was extremely boring and not at all relatable. Also, I just want to point out that all of ...more
JustSomeGuy
Aug 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
There is nothing particularly interesting about the main character, the case this story centers around or the writing itself. The protagonist is as generic as his name: Matt Jones. How the dots get connected throughout this one is feeble, the bad guys are cookie cutter and the action is tepid, at best. I will forget about this book in a few days - thankfully. There is absolutely no chance I read a second book based on this character.
Ben
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was ok

In "City of Echoes" , by Robert Ellis, has all and I mean ALL of the ingredients of the modern police police procedural thriller.
First there is the detective, in this case, Matt T. Jones who was recently promoted to the detective murder squad. Of course, Det. Jones has some issues: a father who walked out, leaving a wife and small boy ( Jones) in poverty; mother dies, leaving Jones to live with relatives. So --feelings of abandonment, resentment and authority issues.
Then, the crime. As Matt is
Don Gorman
Oct 02, 2015 rated it liked it
(3 1/2) This is one fast moving story. Matt Jones is a great protagonist and Ellis has thrown him into a cauldron of action. The twists and turns will have you getting ready for yoga class but we sure could use a little more character development along the way. Lots of action, a great leading man, evil a plenty and a few easy to figure solutions make this a very entertaining read. I hope there is another Matt Jones book.
Gail
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Save yourself, read a Harry Bosch novel. Considering it is set in the exact same LAPD as Harry Bosch's? Not nearly as well written. It starts out pretty well, but seems to fall victim to many cliche cop murder mystery formulas. I found it disappointing and had to force myself to finish it.
Tami Stackelhouse
If you like Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch novels, you will likely enjoy this one. Not only is City of Echoes set in the same time and place, but it has the same feel. I honestly felt like Matt Jones was going to walk onto a crime scene and meet Harry!
Larry Bassett
Dec 14, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audio
Jarek
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
A typical detective story with a major psychological angle.
Jordan
Jan 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
I'm not sure I should even review this book due to how miserable I was trying to finish it. Thankfully it was free. Very vulgar and crude.
So, I Read This Book Today
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
25050652“Through me you go into a city of weeping; through me you go into eternal pain; through me you go amongst the lost people” ― Dante Alighieri, The Inferno

“He felt his heart, which no longer beat, contract, and he wondered if there was anything in the world as painful as not being able to protect the people you loved.”― Cassandra Clare, City of Fallen Angels

Agony. Such an interesting word, with such an interesting origin. “Late 14c., "mental suffering" (especially that of Christ in the Gar
Richard L. Canavan
Jan 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Not good

The only reason I finished the book is because I thought it couldn't get any worse. Well, I was wrong.
Nathaniel
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
I read this one many months ago (I'm writing this in October), but I've thought about it a few times since then. Partially, I've just got it kind of confused with the Harry Bosch novels I've been reading recently. City of Echoes is set in LA, and involves places (like Echo Park) that are also featured in Bosch novels (also in LA). So, different books with murder mysteries in the same setting: you can see how I'd get them confused.

On the other hand, I'm on my 15th Bosch novel at this point, and I
Diane
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I sat down to read a few chapters in this book and then go about some other errands. Once I started though I couldn't put it down. It was incredible as far as twists and turns. There was an abundance of suspects for the mutilation murders but the cop murders - were they related? was it a different murderer or the same? Questions just kept piling up which kept the pages turning.

Matt was brand new to Hollywood homicide he had come from a different department and had worked narcotics. The night bef
Trish R.
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book and narration..

First of all, I just read a book by David Archer, a very good book, BUT for someone who writes the same kinds of books as Robert Ellis does the difference is just amazing. LOL, so I had to stop reading Archer books for a while so I could read something with some good old-fashioned swearing. Some F-bombs. The kind of swearwords 99.9% of cops and killers use. Ahhh, I feel so much better now.

I really did like Matt but I was a little skeptical about his partner Denny, he
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; SEPT 8, 2015
Narrator: Nick Podehl

Good plot, problematic writing style, did not like choice of narrator.

CoE, the debut to Ellis' detective series set in LA, turned out better than I thought it would be because it seemed like another average cop thriller/murder mystery in the first 25%. Then it got interesting.

But Ellis' writing is very different from The Dead Room, which I also thought started off as mediocre. IIRC, I didn't notice anything in Ellis' writing in The Dead Room
Kat
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I was given this book through Goodreads Giveaways.

The story is about a new homicide detective for the LAPD, Matt Jones. He is brought in on his first day to investigate a murder of a man who has been riddled with bullets and is unrecognizable. Matt finds himself led into a string of gruesome murders and he slowly realizes that he can't trust anyone around him. Lies and corruption begin to surface and Matt is led to question everyone and everything.

At first this book was a little slow. I had a
Jean
May 10, 2016 rated it liked it
I believe this is the first book in a series. Matt Jones is a rookie LAPD homicide detective. He and his partner Denny Cabrera are investigating a series of ritual murders. Jones’ best friend Kevin Hughes was killed in a robbery. Maybe the murders are being committed by a rogue cop. Now Jones trusts no one.

This is my first book by Robert Ellis. Somehow or other I bought this book on the Amazon site that provided an audiobook via Audible. The book is well written; the pace is fast. I found the s
Margaret Carmel
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it
I got this book for free with my Amazon Prime membership through their Kindle First program.

This is the story of a new homicide detective investigating the death of a fellow police officer in the City of Angels and how it ties into a web of intrigue surrounding a rash of serial killings. I read this book extremely quickly, and while it definitely kept me guessing, I never felt any kind of connection to the characters or a feeling like anything major was at stake. It mostly felt like a typical n
Joe Cummings
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
City of Echos is Robert Ellis' exciting 2015 introduction to the promising Detective Matt Jones series. Volume two, The Love Killing, is already in print. At first, the tale seems to burdened by the principle characters back story, but it's clear by the end of the novel that the back story will be an important arc that will be continued into future volumes. That is one of the twists and turns of three interweaving storylines that are told in this book. There are surprises throughout that kept ...more
Kimberly
Sep 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Review featured on www.books-n-kisses.com

I will say I am not exactly a fan of film noir and that is how this felt to me. The whole grey room with the private dick and woman in distress, etc. But that being said it was ok. I wouldn’t say it is a favorite. I wouldn’t even say that I will rush to read the next one but it keep my attention mostly.

I never really connected with the characters. Any of them really. And the thriller part of it wasn’t all that thrilling. But again it sorta kept my attent
Danielle Young
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Incredible book from start to finish. I have been looking for a book to end my reading slump and this book did it and then some. Robert Ellis was masterful at creating suspense in this book. Such a great way to debut Detective Matthew Jones.

I am definitely looking forward to more from Robert Ellis and his character Matt.

City of Echoes is a non-stop thrill ride, with so many twists that your head is going to spin. There is so much going on in this story, but Robert Ellis does a superb job of ke
Sean
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Received a copy from Netgalley for honest review.

Robert Ellis has done really well in writing about a very believable character who has a lot of things on his plate. It starts with him meeting a friend, but ends up a different way than expected.

A thoroughly engaging book that was really easy to read and I was impressed with the way the book flowed from beginning to end.

This is the first book in the series and I am looking forward to reading more in the series.
Jim A
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent police thriller. I don't usually compare authors, but Ellis' work reminds me of the works of Crais and Connelly. His protagonist, Matt Jones, is even a homicide detective in Hollywood as was Bosch.

The novel is full of twists and just when you think Ellis is winding the story down, he takes off in a new direction. My only regret is Amazon has already listed book two for advance sale. Sort of takes a lot of the suspense out of the ending.

Worth the read.
Readers & Writers: CITY OF ECHOES & THE LOVE KILLINGS $.99 KINDLE SALE 1 7 Apr 07, 2019 07:50AM

• A Real Piece of Work  (Dakota Stevens, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Endgame (Voluntary Eradicators, #1)
  • Brother Betrayed
  • Bum Rap (Jake Lassiter #10)
  • Shadow Boys (Jon Cantrell #2)
  • Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two (Digital Edition) #1
  • The Edison Effect (Professor Benjamin Bradshaw Mystery, #4)
  • Mickey Outside
  • Winner Lose All
  • Kitto (Tyack & Frayne, #4)
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
  • The Manuscript (The Delphi Chronicle, #1)
  • Mirai Nikki Paradox
  • The Equivoque Principle (Cornelius Quaint Chronicles, #1)
  • Magnificent Devices: The Mopsies Bundle, Volume 2 (Magnificent Devices, #5-6)
  • The Weight of a Crown (The Azhaion Saga)
  • Headhunters

Robert Ellis is the international bestselling author of Access to Power, The Dead Room, the critically acclaimed Lena Gamble novels, City of Fire, The Lost Witness, and Murder Season, and the Detective Matt Jones series, City of Echoes (2015) and The Love Killings (2016). His novels have been translated into ten languages and selected as top reads by Booklist, Publishers Weekly, National Public Ra

Detective Matt Jones (2 books)
  • The Love Killings (Detective Matt Jones #2)
“His fingers were trembling. He felt that cold breeze working the back of his neck again. Halfway across the sidewalk, he realized that he’d just stepped out of the warmth and into the wind.” 0 likes
“park at the horse ranch. As he grabbed his phone and got out,” 0 likes