Start by marking “Das zweite Leben des Travis Coates” as Want to Read:
Das zweite Leben des Travis Coates

Das zweite Leben des Travis Coates

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  10,330 Ratings  ·  1,797 Reviews
Seinen Kopf einfrieren und später auf einen gesunden Körper transplantieren? Travis hätte nie damit gerechnet, dass diese absurde Idee Realität werden könnte. Seine Einwilligung gab er, weil er Leukämie hatte – und nichts zu verlieren. Nun ist er nach fünf Jahren tatsächlich "wieder da". Doch er findet sein altes Leben nicht mehr. Sein Zimmer sieht anders aus. Seine Eltern ...more
Published February 23rd 2015 by Hanser (first published April 8th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Das zweite Leben des Travis Coates, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Charlotte I'd have to say no. He wants her to leave him so he can move on with his life without regrets and she with hers. At least that's my take on it.
Joy Ruckoldt Loved this book and so did every one of my 9th grade students who picked it up for independent reading. Lots of kids ended up reading it after a…moreLoved this book and so did every one of my 9th grade students who picked it up for independent reading. Lots of kids ended up reading it after a friend recommended it. (less)

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Need to let this one sink in before I comment my thoughts on it, but for the most part I enjoyed it.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

I would say I “didn’t get” this story, but seriously . . .

The idea of Noggin was great . . .

“Everything can go from fine and dandy to dark and depressing faster than you can say ‘acute lymphoblastic leukemia.’”

When Travis Coates was diagnosed with terminal cancer as a 16-year old boy, he was offered a potential second chance . . . .

Palm Springs commercial photography

Travis chose to roll the dice and have his head cryogenically frozen. What he didn’t plan on was th
Adam Silvera
NOGGIN is headed for greatness and is without a doubt my favorite YA book. I won't go into plot or anything because that would mean getting aHEAD of ourselves since it doesn't pub until next April, but for anyone who's read WHERE THINGS COME BACK, I promise you that NOGGIN is a follow-up that will blow your head off your shoulders.

I've never cried reading a book before - and I've read many, many books - but there was a beautiful scene that transformed me from robot to human and that's a testame
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

DISCLAIMER : Don't seek scientific accuracy because there's none, and, really, that's not the point. You don't believe me? Just imagine I'd ask John Corey Whaley if he wanted to tell a realistic story, scientifically wise.

"Yeah. Sure. That's exactly why I chose to talk about a guy whose head is cut off then frozen THEN attached to someone else's body. Sure." *side glances* - who is this crazy chick?

There's this weird thing we often use when reading scifi, called suspension of disbelief . Tha
Andrew Hicks
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
When I got married in 2007, we moved 120 miles away. In 2011, we moved back. I thought my return would be the best of both worlds - I’d have my new family life and old friends back, redefined for adulthood. I walked into my old bar, the neighborhood hangout from my single years, and the same people were there, many of them sitting on the same stools, all of them doing and talking the same shit. And for me - it was obvious, immediately - it wasn’t the same. Three years later, I still haven’t gone ...more
Neal Shusterman
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this one! The premise here is my kind of story -- a dying kid decides to have his head cryogenically frozen, figuring if they ever revive him, it will be in the distant future. Well, surprise, it happens five years later. He now has the buff body of some dead kid, and has to deal with that, and the fact that everyone in his life is five years older, and his parents who had mourned him, now have him back, which is weird on all fronts.

Having explored similar transplant-related issue
Elyse
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few basic facts.....
It's a Young Adult book about a dying kid - *Travis* - who chooses to have his
head cryogenically frozen. Five years later - he's back - alive with a fit- and taller body.
To Travis, it only feels like he's been asleep for the night -- in no way does it seem like five years has gone by without him.

However, after Travis woke up his parents kept saying how much they missed him.
It made Travis feel weird. Very weird!
Everything is different ... everyONE is different.

Travis is
Raeleen Lemay
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, lgbtqia, young-adult
so..... this book is amazing.
C.G. Drews
I'm mildly underwhelmed. I expected this book to be amazingly fresh because -- HELLO -- the dude's head has been cryonically preserved and I have never ever read that in a YA book before. But that part of the book only took up (I am not even kidding) the first 20 pages. JUST TWENTY PAGES. Then it launched into your Typical As Anything contemporary full of lost love and teenage misfits.

description

I really honestly hoped it would be more about the headless-ness. Either more about the science or the process o
TL
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to TL by: Mason
*edited somewhat 11-1-15 with quotes and extra thoughts*

“Maybe we all just exist, all versions of us exist at times, and we have to figure out a way to get to each of them, to find each one and tell that version that it's okay, that it's all just the way it works, a concept too powerful to ignore but too complicated to explain.”
“No matter how often you see or talk to someone, no matter how much you know them or don't know them, you always fill up some space in their lives that can't ever be re
Larry H
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd rate this 4.5, maybe 4.75 stars.

One of the things I love so much about reading is what different books do for me. Some entertain, some manipulate my emotions (this is not necessarily a negative), some teach, some infuriate, and some make me think. I love when a book surprises me and does more than I expect. Such was the case with John Corey Whaley's spectacular second novel, Noggin. I enjoyed it tremendously (despite its offbeat premise) and it really made me think.

Travis Coates was a gravel
Max Lau  • Maxxesbooktopia
I am oddly touched by this book…

“Maybe we all just exist, all versions of us exist at times, and we have to figure out a way to get to each of them, to find each one and tell that version that it’s okay, that it’s all just the way it works, a concept too powerful to ignore but too complicated to explain.”- Noggin, John Corey Whaley.

My thoughts: Introduction

Let us start off with the plot of the book. The plot of the book was very well-thought out and super unique in a way that meteorites are
Michael
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
4.5

I just finished this a second ago and I really don't know how to rate it! My thoughts are all over the place.

It was a book that made me think. The entire thing was one big what if? There were so many lines that really hit the nail on the head about dealing with loss and grieving, and learning to move on. Powerful stuff.

But at the same time, all these powerful thing were said but I feel like I didn't get to see them happen. There was very little plot movement in this book and I absolutely 100%
Debby
4 stars

When I was offered Noggin for review, I had absolutely no idea what to expect. From the blurb it just sounded unique and sort of weird. With the head cut off element, I thought it would be a bizarre kind of sci-fi, but nope. This book surprised me in the best possible way.

Noggin is actually sort of a cancer book. It centers on Travis Coates who, indeed, has his head cut off - but for a medical reason. He had a terminal form of cancer that had destroyed his body - except for his head. Know
Ken Shindle
Noggin is a disappointing follow-up to Whaley's thought-provoking, well-written Where Things Come Back; it's a predictable story filled with banalities, shallow characters, and completely unbelievable dialogue. I hate being hard on a book quite obviously written for children, but I've come to expect a lot more from YA literature.

Noggin reads like an elementary school version of The Great Gatsby (though Whaley adds curses, I guess, to make his story seem more mature): a male protagonist reemerges
Josiah
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finally get it. The comparisons to John Green made by John Corey Whaley's fans? I see it now. As raw, devastating, and brilliant as The Fault in Our Stars was, Noggin matches those qualities and perhaps slightly exceeds them, a mass of painfully intense emotion that gains momentum as the story rolls toward a conclusion we're never quite ready for. The ability to thrust readers so deep into a story that they feel the main character's anxiety, tribulation, and heartbreak as if they were their ow ...more
Ginger at GReadsBooks.com
The brilliance of Corey Whaley shines so brightly in this unique & unforgettable story. I will be pushing this book on to every reader I know! Full review to come later.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

[Original review posted at GReads!]

When I first heard about the concept for this story, my head literally spun (see what I did there?). The idea that someone could get a body transplant from the neck down sounds completely absurd. How in the world is that even possible?! Well, my friends, th
Jacob McCabe
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. What an amazing book. Now that Whaley has two books out, I can firmly say that he is one of my favorite authors.

Noggin has its slowish moments, but it is so unique compared to many contemporaries in its weird premise. It teaches you the importance of allowing people to be who they are, and to not try to make others behave in the way you expect them to. Fantastic book. One of my favorites.
Macarena Yannelli
Anonadada por lo bueno que es este libro. No es perfecto, pero aún así me gusta como trato el tema con humor y con seriedad al mismo tiempo.
Reseña completa en Gracias a los Libros.
Dystopia28
*4.5 stars

Wow. This book is creepy and terrifying and moving and hilarious and really sad and depressing. I'll never forget the characters, the were so relatable no matter how far-fetched their situation was. I recommend Noggin to anyone who liked The Fault In Our Stars!
Roo James
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
Aww. What a great book. John Corey Whaley sure told a unique, beautiful story with this one.
The main character Travis, although experiencing something otherwise unheard of, is still very much relatable. The moments of sadness, confusion, optimism, hope and denial are experiences we've all felt at some point or another. In a way this story helped me make sense of all that. Kinda like catharsis or what have you.
I would definitely recommend this book to anyone in the mood for a good read. Also, tha
Vitor Martins
Esse livro tinha tudo pra ser ótimo, mas no fim das contas foi apenas um livro bom.
Não tive problemas pra gostar dos personagens, não virei os olhos em nenhum capítulo mas sei lá, acho que toda essa coisa do garoto que acorda com sua cabeça colada num corpo novo poderia ter sido melhor aproveitada.
Apesar dessa premissa BEM DOIDA, o livro mostra o amor de um jeito bem realista e o romance não tem tanto mimimi. O final foi um tapa na cara que me fez engolir seco e pensar sobre um monte de coisas.
Mari Kaplan
Beyond the prompt, there wasn't much depth or really enticing storyline to this book. Sure- of course a story a kid who has his head chopped off, frozen and then reattached five years later has got to be some great tale, but it was a bit dull. The first few and last few chapters were worth reading, but otherwise, I finished this book fairly unsatisfied.
Glire
Apr 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
"You can find ways to be okay with dying, but you can’t fake your way through living."

description

Cuando Travis se entera que el cáncer que tiene es incurable, toma la única decisión que le da un poco de esperanza: permitir que le corten la cabeza -la única parte de su cuerpo que el cáncer no ha tocado- y la criogenicen.

"Sometimes you love someone so much that going and doing something crazy like having your head frozen and convincing everyone you’re coming back isn’t as ridiculous as it sounds."

5 a
Jeremy West
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
NOGGIN is a heartfelt story about love, sex, friendship, and family that might just be worth losing your head over. John Corey Whaley's unique voice and serious brilliance will strike a cord and may change your mind about decapitation.
Debbie Narh
good

Noggin is a story full of bad jokes, awkward situations, and horrible puns. And I loved every second of it. I didn't feel like I was reading a work of fiction, instead, I felt as if I were reading a story, my story and my life of how I was brought back to life and forced to live in the present when I'm barely understanding the past. It's weird, confusing, and such a fun ride. John Corey Whaley is an author that I've been waiting for a long time and this will not be the last novel I've read by h
Sean
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was torn between rating this book with two or three stars, so it's probably a 2.5 from me. Whaley's writing is a pleasure to read, the characters were colorfully drawn, and there are some genuinely funny moments in this book. But despite an inventive premise, the plot seemed dull and like it was retreading over themes present in many YA books.

(Spoilers!)
The fact that much of the book is spent on Travis's relationship with Cate was particularly disappointing. When Travis wakes up, Cate is now
William Daza
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cuando empece a leer este libro me encontré con una historia que al principio me pareció un tanto rara.. Un chico sometiéndose a un proceso de criogenizacion para sobrevivir de la leucemia que lo invadía, le proponen poner su cabeza en un cuerpo sano y congelarse en el tiempo (aqui toma mucha importancia la portada del libro)

Okay, Seguí el libro y el chico despierta 5 años después teniendo la misma edad (16 años) y todos sus familiares y amigos son mayores que el (aquí es donde empieza a tomar s
Manuel de Acha
Corey...you really know how to play with people's feelings.

Can we just say how funny, sentimental and amazing this book was? I mean, I cried more than 3 times while I was reading it and I never ever felt so close to a character in my entire life.

Books like this are just strange and rare to find. This is a unique and beautiful story that would captivate your attention from the first sentence.

Do yourself a favor and read it, you will not regret it.

Ryan M. Hanna
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this premise of this book. It makes me excited to think this could ever be possible. This book would appeal to most anyone - it was well-written, humorous, and full of heart. This book would be a more mature reader.
The Side Quest Bo...: Sept 2018 pick: Noggin by John Corey Whaley 2 10 Aug 29, 2018 05:03AM
The Side Quest Bo...: Noggin: Spoiler Thread 6 8 Aug 28, 2018 07:51AM
Keeva Sixsmith - Preedy 1 5 Jun 25, 2017 05:59PM
Willmar Public Li...: Noggin by John Corey Whaley 1 4 Feb 22, 2016 12:04PM
Around the Year i...: Noggin, by John Corey Waley 1 15 Jan 13, 2016 06:40PM
  • The Alex Crow
  • When I Was the Greatest
  • Threatened (Ape Quartet #2)
  • Gabi, a Girl in Pieces
  • Glory O'Brien's History of the Future
  • The Gospel of Winter
  • Five, Six, Seven, Nate! (Better Nate Than Ever #2)
  • Fat Boy vs the Cheerleaders
  • The Scar Boys (The Scar Boys, #1)
  • Denton Little's Deathdate (Denton Little #1)
  • Girls Like Us
  • This Side of Salvation
  • Play Me Backwards
  • Dirt Bikes, Drones, and Other Ways to Fly
  • Grandmaster
  • The Vigilante Poets of Selwyn Academy
  • The Story of Owen: Dragon Slayer of Trondheim (The Story of Owen, #1)
  • We Are the Goldens
JOHN ‘COREY’ WHALEY grew up in the small town of Springhill, Louisiana, where he learned to be sarcastic and to tell stories. He has a B.A. in English from Louisiana Tech University, as well as an M.A in Secondary English Education. He started writing stories about aliens and underwater civilizations when he was around ten or eleven, but now writes realistic YA fiction (which sometimes includes zo ...more

Young Adult Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • American Street
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wish
    $5.67 $2.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Wednesday Wars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
“But in that moment I understood what they say about nostalgia, that no matter if you're thinking of something good or bad, it always leaves you a little emptier afterward.” 89 likes
“Maybe we all just exist, all versions of us exist at times, and we have to figure out a way to get to each of them, to find each one and tell that version that it's okay, that it's all justthe way it works, a concept too powerful to ignore but too complicated to explain.” 40 likes