Start by marking “The KenKen Killings (Puzzle Lady #12)” as Want to Read:
The KenKen Killings (Puzzle Lady #12)

The KenKen Killings

(Puzzle Lady #12)

HER NUMBER'S UP!

The Puzzle Lady, Cora Felton, is surprised to learn she's inherited $10,000. Of course, she doesn't even remember the man who was supposedly one of her former husbands. Turns out it's an elaborate scam cooked up by Melvin Crabtree, Cora's fifth husband, to get out of paying her alimony. But it's more than a numbers game when a banker connected to the case
Published March 2015 by Worldwide Library Worldwide Mystery (first published January 17th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The KenKen Killings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The KenKen Killings

Jwls Mac Ray
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read2017
Terrific, fast moving book. Funny. Interesting. Lovable characters. So glad I came across this at the library. Will be reading the rest.
Kate
Mar 15, 2019 rated it liked it
"The Puzzle Lady, Cora Felton, is surprised to learn she's inherited $10,000. Of course she doesn't even remember the man who was supposedly one of her former husbands. Turns out it's an elaborate scam cooked up by Melvin Crabtree, Cora's fifth husband, to get out of paying her alimony. But it's more than a numbers game when a banker connected to the case is shot to death, and a KenKen math puzzle is found next to the body.

"With the puzzles coming fast and furious, Cora sifts through clues -- up
Sara Scraps
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is just fun! Not deep, not thoughtful...it’s like literary junk food and perfectly divine once in a while.
Harry Addington
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious and entertaining.
Tristan MacAvery
May 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
According to the dust jacket, RT Book Reviews described one of the Puzzle Lady books as "Grouch Marx meets Jessica Fletcher." Frankly, there's no better description that I could find were I to hunt for years! The books in this series are quick, happy, hilarious reads with good mysteries, good puzzles, and dialog snappier than a fresh thick-cut potato chip. (My friends will understand readily why I make a food comparison. The rest of you, just deal with it.)

I must make a plug for Hall's delightfu
Kimberly Ann
One of the Puzzle Lady's (Cora Felton) ex-husbands is in town trying to discredit her in order to sever her alimony payments. Along with him is his current girlfriend Bambi and following him is his current wife.

The banker testifying against Cora is found dead as is the bank teller who also testified.... Meanwhile Kenken & related crossword puzzles are turning up...all pointing to various suspects.

With her quick wit & smart mouth Cora manages to save her alimony payments and unmask the mu
Shasta Matova
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I've read several of the Puzzle Lady mysteries. The stories are quick to read since the sentences are all fairly short and somewhat lighthearted, even while they are talking about murders. There is always a puzzle that is connected with them that provides clues about the killer. From this series, I learned about different types of sudoku puzzles. In this one, they include a new-to-me puzzle, the kenken. It is going to take me some practice to learn how to solve them, but you don't need to learn ...more
Susan
Cora Felton, the Puzzle Lady, is so eager to inherit money from Chester T. Markowitz that she agrees that he's her ex-husband. Unfortunately, the whole inheritance is a scam instituted by Melvin, her real, most recent, ex-husband, designed to end her alimony payments. When Melvin's witnesses start dying, a series of puzzles seems to point at--Melvin. Cora is sure that she doesn't care for Melvin, but she doesn't want to see him in prison where he can't pay her alimony. So she sets out to prove t ...more
Deborah
If you are looking for a quick fun read, the Puzzle lady series always is a good choice. A crossword puzzler compiler hides from her ex-husband by using her aunt's photo above her puzzles. Her aunt couldn't solve a crossword to save her life, and is constantly getting into trouble. Over the series the aunt becomes recognized for solving another kind of puzzle - murders. The characters are great and it's always a fun read. There are crosswords or other puzzles throughout the book to help the char ...more
Mark Baker
Apr 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, mystery
As always this book was filled with word play/bickering and puzzles. It even manages to mock itself for the conventions of the series (puzzles showing up on dead bodies). But what really got me was a major plot point that is dropped once the real story gets rolling.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Diane Heath
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Cora is set up by her ex husband in an attempt to stop her alimony payments. Witnesses at the hearing start turning up dead. Ken-Ken puzzles and crossword puzzles match up to give clues. Cora has to work with Becky, the town attorney, to keep herself out of jail. She also has to prove Melvin's innocence.
Cristina
Aug 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! It really kepts me guessing until the end. I also loved the puzzles that are scattered throughout the book. I wish I had photocopied the puzzles before I went on vacation with this book so that I could have tried them myself. This book is great for anyone who liked mystery and/or puzzles.
Grey853
Feb 18, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy, mystery
This barely rates a two out of five stars. My biggest problem is Cora. She's incredibly annoying and shallow and so it's hard to feel bad that she gets herself in quite the legal pickle.

I did find out what a KenKen puzzle was and since I hate math and numbers, I'll be avoiding those in the future. I likely won't be reading this series in the future, either.
Brenda Sharp
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the introduction of the Ken-kens but I had never solved one so it took me longer to work through the puzzles in this book. I found it to a wonderful addition to the different style of puzzles.
Harvey
These are always fun, quick reads. The word play can be exasperating at times but I do appreciate Parnell Hall's talent for this sort of thing (although I do prefer his Stanley Hastings series).

The KenKen Killings is one of the better entries in this series.
Catherine Woodman
This is the last book in this series that I will read--the Puzzle Lady is very irritating, and in this one it was just the straw that broke the camel's back. She is silly and difficult, and this time it was just too much
Camille
Jul 18, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up because I adore puzzles! The puzzles in the book get 5 stars. However, the content and word choice of the author won't have me reading again. I had truly hoped this would be a great new find, but I cannot in good conscience recommend this series.
Brian Carney
Jan 05, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This may be the worst book I have ever read. Inconsistent, unpleasant characters; weak writing; gimmicky puzzles that are not well linked to the action or characters. How this series got to #12 is beyond me!
Karen
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another cute Cora and Sherry story. I enjoy these light mysteries, there is good conversation with lively banter btw the characters. The characters and likable and familiar.
Suzanne
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
these books are always a fun read -- lighthearted & full of witty reparte!
Linda Allen
These Puzzle Lady books are always entertaining.
Caryl
Dec 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books are fun for the puzzles they contain as well as the puzzle within the story line. This one was more predictable than most of the stories.
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
another entertaining mystery by Parnell Hall - I ♥ Cora Felton AKA the Puzzle Lady and I ♥ Parnell Hall. He has a talent for writing believable, entertaining dialog.
Miranda Beverly-Gill
Inane. Just awful. Why do I keep reading these terrible things?
Dave Jones
Loved the puzzles....tolerated the mystery.
Shannon
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting as always! Makes me want to read other books by Parnell Hall.
Ron Judenberg
A
Coreycw
Jun 07, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I always enjoy a "puzzle lady" book. They are so easy and simple to read. I love the characters, as well.
Gina Beirne
I figured out "whodunnit" about halfway through. :(
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Aunt Dimity and the Family Tree (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #16)
  • Delete All Suspects (Turing Hopper, #4)
  • Past Imperfect (Sigrid Harald, #7)
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #5)
  • Ghost in the Polka Dot Bikini (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #2)
  • Someday the Rabbi Will Leave
  • High Anxiety (Crazy, #3)
  • Perish by Pedicure (Bad Hair Day Mystery, #8)
  • O Little Town of Maggody (Arly Hanks, #7)
  • Till Death Do Us Purl (Black Sheep Knitting Mysteries, #4)
  • Deadly Valentine (Death on Demand, #6)
  • Secret Vengeance (Young Repairman Jack, #3)
  • Watchdog (Melanie Travis, #5)

Puzzle Lady (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • A Clue for the Puzzle Lady (Puzzle Lady #1)
  • Last Puzzle & Testament (Puzzle Lady #2)
  • Puzzled to Death (Puzzle Lady #3)
  • A Puzzle in a Pear Tree (Puzzle Lady #4)
  • With this Puzzle, I Thee Kill (Puzzle Lady #5)
  • And a Puzzle to Die On (Puzzle Lady #6)
  • Stalking the Puzzle Lady (Puzzle Lady #7)
  • You Have the Right to Remain Puzzled (Puzzle Lady #8)
  • The Sudoku Puzzle Murders (Puzzle Lady #9)
  • Dead Man's Puzzle (Puzzle Lady #10)