Start by marking “Creative Schools: The Grassroots Revolution That's Transforming Education” as Want to Read:
Creative Schools: The Grassroots Revolution That's Transforming Education

Creative Schools: The Grassroots Revolution That's Transforming Education

A revolutionary reappraisal of how to educate our children and young people by Ken Robinson, the New York Times bestselling author of The Element and Finding Your Element

Ken Robinson is one of the world’s most influential voices in education, and his 2006 TED Talk on the subject is the most viewed in the organization’s history. Now, the internationally recognized leader on creativi
Published April 21st 2015 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about Creative Schools, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creative Schools

Start your review of Creative Schools: The Grassroots Revolution That's Transforming Education
Sean Blevins
A book of anecdotes and ideas, not research and prescription.

The vagaries and generalities make the book come across as fluff - far less substantial than Schmoker's Focus for example. Nonetheless, it is not without value.

I find myself still thinking about Robinson's "Eight Core Competencies" - habits and skills that a proper education should instill in all students

1) Curiosity
2) Creativity
3) Criticism
4) Communication
5) Collaboration
Matt Morley
I found this book frustrating, although that may be because my expectations for it were misaligned from the start.

I have watched Robinson’s TED talk and was excited by some of his ideas; ideas that push the envelope on current educational thinking and explore the potential that schools could have if we re-evaluated embedded policies and established norms. Why do we batch pupils by age-group? Why do we churn pupils through an academic-focused curriculum that’s ill-suited to many of th
Daniel Aguilar
A pretty extensive catalog of examples of schools and institutions (mainly in the U.S. and the U.K., but also in other countries) who are pushing away from an education model too obsessed with grades and competition at all levels (between students, classrooms, schools, districts, states, countries), and who are trying to focus on the student real needs: self-confidence, curiosity, respect, creativity, sociability...

The author provides an interesting collection of broad ideas and fram
Brenda Hoffman
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an arc copy of Creative Schools. I found it very readable and well written. He combines teaching concepts with illustrations that demonstrate his points. It was optimistic compared Jonathon Kozol's Savage Inequalities. recommend this book.
Marta Kondryn
The book is rather academic, than practical. It has a few frameworks on the better (creative schools) and what governments, parents and organisations could do to make the learning experience better, however it lacked practical examples of these frameworks. Apart of that, the book is also hard to read and I caught my mind wandering around while reading.
John Martinez
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing. It's one of my top 5 edu-books. Sir Ken tells the story of schools in America from the beginning of mass schooling to the present. He shares lots of ways to make schooling more meaningful for students and better ROI for society. Sir Ken shares many examples from around the world to make his case.
Jessica
The first time I heard of Ken Robinson was through his Ted Talk "Do schools kill creativity?" (https://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinso...). I thought it was a brilliant talk and had been meaning to read more of his work since then.

As written in the title, this book outlines Robinson's vision for an education reform. Note that many schools now have incorporated Robinson's concept of teaching/learning or have completely revamped their c
Marlathemom
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was our required summer teacher reading; what an enlightening, informative, and interesting reflection on schools today! There were some parts were repetitive, and there were some parts I was super curious to know more about, but on the whole, the message of reinvention and creating a new path in education is as necessary as it is timely. Worth the read - or let's collaborate, and you can borrow mine ;)
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Ken Robinson is determined to help education, and I think Creative Schools: The Grassroots Revolution That's Transforming Education is his best effort yet. Robinson seeks out schools and teachers and methodologies that produce fabulous results and shares these schools and teachers and methodologies with us. You can't help but be motivated to join Robinson's revolution after reading this book, I think.
David Rowney
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I very much respect and support Ken Robinson's views on Education and the problems we face with it. This book allows the author to share out examples of the good work that he has observed across the US and wider world.
Ilib4kids
370.973 ROB
eAudio.
After his TED talk, "Do Schools Kill Creativity".
Author is a U.K English speaker and international advisor on education in the arts to government, non-profits, education and arts bodies.

Summary: This book is mainly focused on early childhood to the end of high school of education. The drives of raising achievement are motivation and expectation of students. All successful education examples come from low income families, there is few or no examples of education re
Mary
It's not that I disagree with Ken Robinson necessarily. I certainly think that vocational courses should be taught with rigor and dedication. I also think the arts and recess and play are important components in education. Heaven knows, I've seen enough floundering graduate students (and Marys on summer break...) to know that the ability to self direct is crucial.

It's just he's so glib about it all. The TED-talk-isms (Name dropping, relating stories of atypical turnaround stories,"Ou
Tena Edlin
Ken Robinson always makes me think. I know education can be different... so many of us know this. But how and where do we start? Ken Robinson gives me some good ideas, and it's been fun (in a frustrating way) to discuss those ideas with my colleagues and administration. Industrial Revolution era schools are not going to meet the needs of a changing world. We have to be part of the solution.
Tianhong Shi
Expert teachers fulfill four roles: engage, enable, expect and empower.
The best teachers are "mentors and guides who can raise the confidence of their students, help them find a sense of direction, and empower them to believe in themselves."
Louis House
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
Other readers, perhaps less involved in the world of education, may find this book a good initiation into what can be a contentious topic. Robinson lays out his philosophy well enough, but I found myself skimming large portions of text. Anecdotal and not all that radical.
Shiloah
An excellent book with good ideas and research. I recommend it to parents who want to help their children rise above the conveyor belt ideology of the public school system. Great recommendation for educators as well.
Jen
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has been sitting on my bookshelf for over a year, I think. I borrowed it when I went on mat leave, thinking I'd be all interested in doing some professional reading to keep me invested in my teaching career while I was off. Needless to say, with a brand new baby to keep me busy, somehow the priority of this book dropped down a bit. :) However, now with just six and a half weeks remaining until I go back to work, I've begun to start thinking about teaching again and happened to toss thi ...more
Abby Franks
Sir Ken Robinson (and Lou Aronica)’s book Creative Schools: The Grassroots Revolution That’s Transforming Education was exactly how it sounds. It highlighted what is currently wrong with our education system (not just in the U.S., but around the world) and then what different levels of stakeholders (parents, teachers, administrators, policy-makers, or community members) can do about it. The book was a review of Robinson’s other books/talks and added a few more examples of schools/districts/leade ...more
Gail
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must-read for my friends who care about education. Sir Ken Robinson provides for the education system "a critique of the way things are, a vision of how they should be, and a theory of change for how to move from one to the other." He shows a course to a more dynamic, personalized, and effective way of educating the world's children. I love that this book promotes creativity, human individuality, and the arts while also being structured throughout. Thoughtful structure and creativity complement each other here, a ...more
Wilson
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up because Ken Robinson is a man with much more conviction and talent than I, who managed to make a place in the world which I very much value. This book gets 4 stars because I agree with him and his message.

I do not however agree with this book in total. It was inspiring, but shallow. It was informed but not necessarily detailed. Ken (and Aronica) said a lot of things that are hard to disagree with, but I still don't know quite what I gained from this book. Perhaps my circum
Michèle Velthuizen
Ever since I watched Ken Robinson's famous TED Talk he has been an inspiration to me. This book was a good refresher on education transformation with a bit more practical advice on how to go about making changes in education. The best quote and piece of good advice from his book for me was this one:

"Benjamin Franklin once said that there are three sorts of people in the world: those who are immovable, those who are movable, and those who move. We know what he meant. Some people don't
David
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are so many great things about this book that I don't know where to start. I thought one of the advantages of this is that you don't have to be a teacher to create meaning--you don't even have to work at a school. There were ways that Robinson mentioned community members can impact and improve the school, in addition to teachers, principals, and others.

Of the many takeaways from this book, what I really liked was the idea of academic play. Allowing students to have unstructured play withi
Sabra
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed reading this book! The U.S. education systems needs more overhauling than most of use know. It's doing exactly what it was created to do originally-continue to limit the future life opportunities for children of color and from low-income, working class backgrounds while ensuring that the wealthy, white children continue to inherit the wealth of power of the world.

*Multi-age classrooms
*Child centered learning
*Schools that are actively engaged in their commun
Travis
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ken Robinson elucidates the need for standards and rigor in our country's school system, citing competition and the global economy as the catalyst for raising the bar for students. The book itself was more groundwork than anything else, but he raised some valid points and made clear the need for creative thinking in the school system. I do not agree with his ideas entirely, but I believe he is on the right track with most of his argument. Worth reading.
Kelly Gilbert
While there is some good information in this book, I found that I could have read the dust jacket and gotten the idea. I kept coming back to it, hoping that I was missing something, but finally finished it grudgingly and wish I could just have the time back.
Jennifer Mangler
This book made me think a lot about why we do what we do. What kind of people do we want to help our students become? The 8 competencies are a good place to start. We need to be having these conversations more often.
Dhanitveth Theerawong
Very encouraging and enjoyable. All teacher and education management should read
Dave Moyer
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robinson once again gives all of us a lot to think about and is perfectly on point as always. If only more of us could get more of us to listen.
Lily Borovets
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book for education managers!

Joseph
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Most Likely to Succeed: Preparing Our Kids for the Innovation Era
  • Creating Innovators: The Making of Young People Who Will Change the World
  • Lifelong Kindergarten: Cultivating Creativity Through Projects, Passion, Peers, and Play
  • What School Could Be: Insights and Inspiration from Teachers across America
  • The One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined
  • Educating Ruby: What our children really need to learn
  • Free to Learn: Why Unleashing the Instinct to Play Will Make Our Children Happier, More Self-Reliant, and Better Students for Life
  • Disrupting Class: How Disruptive Innovation Will Change the Way the World Learns
  • Helping Children Succeed: What Works and Why
  • College Unbound: The Future of Higher Education and What It Means for Students
  • Punished by Rewards: The Trouble with Gold Stars, Incentive Plans, A's, Praise and Other Bribes
  • Finnish Lessons 2.0
  • The Innovator's Mindset: Empower Learning, Unleash Talent, and Lead a Culture of Creativity
  • Frames of Mind: The Theory of Multiple Intelligences
  • Great Thinkers: Simple Tools from 60 Great Thinkers to Improve Your Life Today
  • The Smartest Kids in the World: And How They Got That Way
  • I Wish My Teacher Knew: How One Question Can Change Everything for Our Kids
  • The Way Home: Tales from a Life Without Technology
Sir Ken Robinson (born Liverpool 4 March 1950) is an internationally recognized leader in the development of innovation and human resources. He has worked with national governments in Europe and Asia, with international agencies, Fortune 500 companies, national and state education systems, non-profit corporations and some of the world’s leading cultural organizations. They include the Royal Shakes ...more
“One problem with the systems of assessment that use letters and grades is that they are usually light on description and heavy on comparison. Students are sometimes given grades without really knowing what they mean, and teachers sometimes give grades without being completely sure why. A second problem is that a single letter or number cannot convey the complexities of the process that it is meant to summarize. And some outcomes cannot be adequately expressed in this way at all. As the noted educator Elliot Eisner once put it, “Not everything important is measurable and not everything measurable is important.” 9 likes
“When children aren’t given the space to struggle through things on their own, they don’t learn to problem-solve very well. They don’t learn to be confident in their own abilities, and it can affect their self-esteem.” 8 likes