Start by marking “Salvage Marines (Necrospace #1)” as Want to Read:
Salvage Marines (Necrospace #1)

Salvage Marines

(Necrospace #1)

It is the Age of The Corporation.

The common man toils under the watchful eye of the elite and their enforcers. The rules of law have long been replaced by the politics of profit. The dark ages of feudalism have returned with capitalistic ferocity. There is no peace among the stars of mapped space and business is booming.

Samuel Hyst is an indentured worker who seeks to
Published March 1st 2015 (first published February 2nd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Salvage Marines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salvage Marines

Start your review of Salvage Marines (Necrospace #1)
Michael T Bradley
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book starts out really rough, showcasing the fact that it's a novice outing from an unpolished writer. Though I notice these things, I don't necessarily mind it if the story intrigues me. And this story definitely piqued my interest because of its political stance. I wouldn't say it's ANTI-capitalist, but it certainly deals with the sleazier sides of capitalism, taken to their extreme (but not by much) through the guise of science fiction.

This is a book about ... civilian mercenaries in
Daniel
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is about a pair of friends that end up joining the military. Sounds kinda boring, don't it? Well let me bend your ear to make it a little more savory to the brains. Earth and the known space extending far beyond it are run by corporations. This is a deeply harsh and brutal view of the world and universe in the future. Corporations run and own everything, and explore and capture, war and dominate to own everything else. Penny pinchers squeeze every credit they can from everyone toiling ...more
David P. Duffy
Action Oriented Quick SciFi Read

"Salvage Marines," is a quick, action oriented SciFi read. There is not great depth nor deep characterizations; it runs from one action sequence into the next. The writing is adequate, as is the proofreading. The editing is lazy, as too many repetitive phrases or passages (eBook readers do have reading comprehension). The science is standard "lame" eBook level-nonexistent or farcical, but not so heavy handed as to derail the ride.

Basic storyline: humanity
Steven Allen
I have enjoyed reading this book as I have been reading more from indy self-published authors.

Some other readers have complained about the hero's repeated infidelity and the distance he puts himself from his family. Both are traits are realistic of a service member.

As someone who served in two branches of the military, I saw couples who had similar arrangements. While the service member was deployed, both spouses had the understanding that they could have sex with other people as long as it was
bkwurm
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
The universe is ruled by corporate entities. On the planet Baen 6, the corporation Grotto has instituted a debt system where all citizens incur debt for housing, education, etc. Upon graduation, each citizen would already be saddled with a life debt and if their parents failed to pay off their life debt before dying, would inherit their parents’ debt as well.

The only way out of debt bondage and a life of drudgery was to sign up with the salvage marines and become a foot soldier in the corporate
Soukyan Blackwood
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
all reviews in one place:
night mode reading
;
skaitom nakties rezimu

Have you ever read book "Sten" by Chris Bunch and Allan Cole? It is similar with the whole debt designed to keep you trapped and working stuff. But the characters were written poorly. Unmemorable, and hard to like or even sympathize with, they took down the story too. It might be the problem of the first book, so I'm okay with trying another one to see.
nooker
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
This was a fun bit of Warhammer 40k fan fic. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but it is so obviously influenced by the 40k universe as to be basically a novel set there. Right from the intro which bears such a resemblance to the intro to every 40k novel as to practically be plagiarism. This author must have read Space Marine by Ian Watson and played a lot of Necromunda given the way this novel starts and the storytelling as well as having a Ulanti Squad. Also Marsters isn't that common of a word. ...more
Shhhhh Ahhhhh
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Absurdly higher quality than expected. Figured it would be cheap zombie space horror. Turns out to be indictment against military- industrial complex and capitalism at large wrapped in space thriller. Highly enjoyable. Reminds me of Forever War & Fallen Dragon.
Valerie
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't finish.
Hartstock
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good alternative to Imperial guard 40k.
Ray Carter
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hard Day's Night

Argo has written a gritty, hard-scrabble novel in this first venture into Corporate World gone wild.
Citizens are born into a no win life, and their only alternative is joining the Salvage Marines. We follow our hero through several combat and salvage ops while he copes physically and philosophically with life. Its a good read over all and is a recommended read.
Peter
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an enjoyable story. It doesn't get too complicated on the technical issues but does make an effort to provide you with a decent picture. The pacing is good and doesn't let you get bored.
Jason
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is Military Sci-Fi as it should be, fast paced, actioned packed and in your face.
The story follows Samuel Hyst, who lives in this rather horrific system where you inherit debt as well as get debt for everything you do. What you earn is not really enough to pay off your debt.
Although you can get an education (that is added to your debt), you are assessed and given a job based on this assessment. If you don’t like your job, or just have enough of things, you can join ‘The REAPERS’.
These
Brian's Book Blog
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Check out this and all my reviews at Brian's Book Blog

This is the job!

The world that Sam lives in would be the definition of living to work. You are basically born into debt and work your entire life and can never get out. Faced with hard decisions about his future and the future of his unborn son, he enlists with the salvage marines in an attempt to break free from the corporate tyranny.

Jeffrey Kafer is great in the narration of Salvage Marines. He has the perfect voice to keep the action
Sgt Maj
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mil-sci-fi
this is a good book -- no reviews ?

Thought this was a good book -- I certainly enjoyed it. I don't go out of my way to do reviews, keyboard and I don't get along. It's a solid 3.2-3.5. I over rated just a tad because I did enjoy.

I will say that unfortunately, the 'worst' part of the book was the sample. A little slow and reading about someone getting married and having a son isn't the best way to start, entice someone to continue. Really don't know what MC is getting into with a card given to
Steve Caldwell
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In a universe where everyone is ruled by corporate oligarchies, who charge you for mandatory education and then slot your job afterward to fit the corporations needs, there aren't too many choices to avoid a life of drudgery and debt.One of the few choices outside the job slotting are the Reapers, the Salvage Marines. These combination salvage crew/soldiers go where the corporations sends them, salvaging wrecks, fighting off squatters on corporate property, and fighting off the aggression of ...more
Steven H Bullock
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Read - great story

I enjoyed the story. Technical details not too bad. I do not believe any of these self published writers served a day in the Army or Marines or their understanding of weapons terms and effects would be far better. None of them use a check reader for English, technology or the military aspects of their writing. Perhaps the larger audience is clueless for the most part.

Considering most of the population, clueless applies and they will never know. None-the-less it should be
Michael J Spangler
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
A promising author

The author does a wonderful job creating an interesting and nuanced dystopian world where corporations replace nations and men and women fight not for land or honor or flag or country, but rather the freedom from forced indentured servitude. The events follow the Reapers, a corporate military arm, and their various salvage operations. Though perhaps rough in some areas, and perhaps in need of some slight revision, these stories are engaging and vivid,both in description and in
Ian
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What is Shakespeare? Not this.
But this is good too. The book moves very fast but it does occasionally get bogged down in repetition. But if you like action and a quick read between monster sized epics, then this for you. I do wish the book was slightly longer to stretch out some interactions between the Main character and everyone else. I bought all the books in one big bundle so I'll read all of them and review. But I think I'll give each a book between.
Nigel
Jul 16, 2015 rated it liked it
A good standard Spare Marine novel. Lots of good battlefield action that doesn't get lost in unnecessary back story of political intrigue.
Will be keeping an eye out of book 2 in the series
Kingsley
3.5 / 5
Charise Liu
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

If u like space...and u like marines and war and are maybe a fan of warhammer then this is Ur book a good read for sure
J Walsh
Jan 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Meh

I can enjoy derivatives. I can look past plagiarism. But suffers from George RR Martin school of writing.

Spoilers: interesting character and dead.
ryan
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

I loved this book and will be reading the rest of the series as soon as possible. I was entertained throughout the entire story.
Karl
Brad
rated it it was ok
Dec 14, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Terminus Cut (Wholesale Slaughter #2)
  • The Constable (Renegade Origins, #2)
  • Oath of Vengeance (Vigilante, #2)
  • Requiem for Medusa (Tyrus Rechs: Contracts & Terminations, #1)
  • Star Runners (Star Runners #1)
  • Rogue Dungeon (The Rogue Dungeon #1)
  • Fat Vampire (Fat Vampire, #1)
  • Maelstrom Strand (Wholesale Slaughter #4)
  • Planetside (Planetside #1)
  • Interstellar Caveman (Interstellar Caveman #1)
  • The Grey Bastards (The Lot Lands, #1)
  • No Honor in Death
  • Heart of Vengeance (Vigilante, #1)
  • Foundling Wizard (Apprentice to Master, #1)
  • Like Stars in Heaven
  • Gunpowder Moon
  • Incarnation (Kid Sensation, #7)
  • Bound by Honor (Vigilante #4)
Sean-Michael Argo is an author and independent film producer from the backwood swamps of Arkansas. He writes the kinds of books he likes to read and makes the kinds of movies he likes to watch, so his expanding body of work is a testament to his love of gritty urban fantasy, epic tales of swords & sorcery, horror movies, and the post-apocalyptic wasteland. His films are available on Amazon and ...more

Necrospace (6 books)
  • Dead Worlds (Necrospace #2)
  • Trade War (Necrospace #3)
  • Ghost Faction (Necrospace #4)
  • Carrion Duty (Necrospace #5)
  • Hard Cargo (Necrospace #6)