Start by marking “Manderley Forever” as Want to Read:
Manderley Forever

Manderley Forever

The nonfiction debut from beloved international sensation and #1 New York Times bestselling author Tatiana de Rosnay: her bestselling biography of novelist Daphne du Maurier.

“It's impressive how Tatiana was able to recreate the personality of my mother, including her sense of humor. It is very well written and very moving. I’m sure my mother would have loved this book.” ―
Published February 25th 2015 by Albin Michel / Héloïse d'Ormesson

Start your review of Manderley Forever
Carol
OMGOSH! What fascinating insight into the world of Daphne du Maurier!

Written more like a novel than a work of non-fiction, Tatiana de Rosnay begins MANDERLEY FOREVER with a young Daphne brought up in a privileged home (the apple of her 'famous' father's eye) who even at age four showed creativity, and continues on by sharing (surprising) tidbits from her personal diary throughout the good times and the bad all the way to the end.

I was totally immersed in her life, passions, obsessions and dark s

Karen
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The only book that I have read written by Daphne Du Maurier, is Rebecca, yet it left such an impression on me!
I so enjoyed this biography of this author, learning of her family, her loves, the way her writing took form, the stories behind the writing.
I have now added several novels and a couple short story collections of Ms. Du Maurier's to my list of books to read. I was quite taken with her, from reading about her!

I want to thank Netgalley, St. Martin's Press, and the author Tatiana de Rosnay
Ericka Seidemann
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
After reading Manderley Forever, I put a photo of Daphne du Maurier on my desk. I think Daphne and I would’ve been good friends. At least, I’d like to think so. Or maybe I would have just trailed behind her like a puppy, begging for a modicum of her affection. Tatiana de Rosnay’s biography shows her admiration and her respect for Daphne, too. I think if I had been able to meet Daphne while she was alive, I would have been enamored but also somewhat intimidated.

The biography de Rosnay has created
Bam cooks the books ;-)
I have adored the books of Daphne du Maurier since reading Rebecca as a teen, The House on the Strand in college and My Cousin Rachel very recently. According to Tatiana de Rosnay's biography of du Maurier, she would have despised my reasons for loving each of them--their gothic-romanticism and atmosphere of suspense. She wanted to be considered a serious writer of literature and worried that her literary reputation couldn't survive fame as a best-selling author.

This biography reads like a nove
Susan Johnson
I was really looking forward to this book as I really like Daphne DuMaurier and am participating in a buddy read of several of her books. We're currently reading The Flight of the Falcon so I thought this would be a perfect addition to the discussion. I was disappointed.

The author really never brought DuMaurier alive for me. It was like she was holding her at arm's length, examining while not really getting close. I think the problem may be that it was written in French and perhaps the transla
Nancy
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goodreads-win
Several years ago my husband and I went to the Redford Theater in Detroit to see Rebecca on the big screen. The 1928 Japanese-themed theater has been restored by the Motor City Theater Organization, which bought the Redford for it's Barton organ. As usual, the theater seats were filled while the organ concert delighted the audience.

I had seen Hitchcock's Rebecca on television before I read the book. While an English major at Temple University in Philadelphia I attended several meetings of an Eng
Julie
Manderley Forever: A Biography of Daphne Du Maurier written by Tatiana de Rosnay and translated by Sam Taylor is a 2017 St. Martin’s Press publication.

This may be one of the most unique biographies I’ve ever read.

Tatiana de Rosnay wrote this biography as though it were a novel, as though Daphne Du Maurier were telling us her life story, giving us access to her personal thoughts and feelings, which is really something, and she pulled it off quite nicely.

As a huge fan of the Gothic genre, you
Kathleen
I received an advance uncorrected proof of this book from a Goodreads giveaway. The copy I received was a little over 300 pages and didn't include any photos, so I'm not sure how many differences there are between the arc that I read & the final version, but I was not a fan of the book that I read.

This may be better appreciated by people who favor fiction over biographies in general. I read a fair amount of both and this bio just did not work for me, for some reason. I love Daphne du Maurier an
Peter Swanson
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this as much as I can like any book that's written in the present tense.
Tami
When I saw that Tatiana de Rosnay was writing a biography about Daphne du Maurier, I was immediately interested in reading it. I can’t say I was necessarily a du Maurier fan, having only read Rebecca and seen Alfred Hitchcock’s adaptation of The Birds. Nevertheless, I found the idea of her biography intriguing, especially in the hands of de Rosnay, who grew up admiring du Maurier’s work .

Born to a life of privilege, du Maurier was exposed to literature and the arts early on. She realized at a yo
Lynne
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was full of great information about the life of Daphne Du Maurier. It's interesting to see what influenced her and motivated her to write the books and plays. She was definitely a multidimensional person. She had many interesting experiences and secrets which enabled her various story lines. Surprisingly, the writing in this book was a little dry to me and although it was interesting, I had a difficult time engaging in it. Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC.
Beth Bonini
I heard Tatiana de Rosnay speak about this book, and her lifelong fascination with Daphne de Maurier, at the Waterstones Bookshop in Hampstead in October 2017. Her enthusiasm was incredibly infectious and I came away from the evening feeling incredibly excited to read this book. In her talk, she referred to the fact that there had already been several du Maurier biographies, and that she herself was a fiction writer - and not a biographer. She talked a great deal of her process in entering DdM’s ...more
Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition
Beautifully written biography by Tatiana de Rosnay and wonderfully narrated by Charlotte Wright.
Dapne duMaurier led a charmed life - full of privilege, fame and fortune. She may have not been always have been an easy person to live with and was not immune to heartache, but I had tears in my eyes at the end of this extraordinary account of her life.

Amanda
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was fascinating reading about the life of Daphne Du Maurier. I’ve only read Rebecca, but it’s one of my top 3 favorite books, and I’ve read it twice. Now I want to read absolutely everything she’s written, as you may have gathered from my recent TBR additions. I didn’t know a whole lot about her life, other than the basics of her love for the Menabilly house, which inspired Rebecca. There were connections I wasn’t aware of, like being cousins with the boys who inspired Peter Pan, her husband ...more
Rozanne
2.5/5. Bought this book alongside Rebecca, to not only read the classic but learn about the author as well. In the latter I was not disappointed, but only because my knowledge of her was zero. The biography itself is written lineary, birth to death. Each and every novel or short story mentioned and summarized. Too much repetition in the descriptions, too little insights in Du Mauriers life's choices.
Rikke
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rosnay merges biography and fiction beautifully in this book about Daphne du Maurier's life. Reading it felt like watching a biopic; so tangible, real and thought-provoking.

I'm not sure how to describe it, define it or even categorize it. But it was something quite pleasant.
Camille de Fleurville
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
I read the last pages of this biography about Daphne Du Maurier last night and was glad I was done with it.

It is in French, the author is Anglo-French and wrote it in French. And a lot is made of Du Maurier's French roots, made almost as an obsession for her.

Well, the whole thing did not work with me.

It does not work as a researched biography although it certainly is. I am probably too much used to academic biographies with dates, details, references, footnotes, etc. This is said as an argument
Anne
May 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I feel that I am being generous with my 2-star rating, here, because, honestly, I didn't care for this book. It was a huge disappointment to me, in fact. Yes, I am one of those poor saps who considers Rebecca to be one of my favorite books. To know Du Maurier's opinion of us was a bit crushing. But that is not this author's fault. And maybe the thing that bothered me the absolute most about this book wasn't her fault, either. And that is that the entire book is written in the present tense. That ...more
Denis
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Daphne du Maurier is the intriguing writer of irresistible popular fiction that deserves to be better appreciated than it has been, but Tatiana de Rosnay, herself a popular French writer, isn’t up to the task. Her book reads more like an easy, romantic best-seller than a serious biography. Her writing lacks in style and can be sloppy, her analyses are mediocre at best, and she even makes some jarring mistakes (saying for example that Charlotte Brontë wrote Wuthering Heights). What saves her book ...more
Hannah
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, 2017-reads
Rating clarification: 4.5 Stars

Extremely well done!
Kirsty
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: march-2017, kindle
I love du Maurier, and she is easily one of my favourite authors. I have also really enjoyed de Rosnay's work to date, and when I found out about the French publication of Manderley Forever, I willed it to be translated into English as soon as was possible.

I love the way in which Manderley Forever is written. I found the first section particularly incredibly spellbinding. There was almost a magical quality to its prose, as well as the story it relayed. Whilst the rest of the book was undoubtedly
Josee Leclerc
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great biography where I was able to walk beside the writer Tatiana de Rosnay. She wrote this biography of Daphne du Maurier with great respect and huge passion, keeping us on track with great and colourful descriptions about Daphne du Maurier's living places. I just felt that I could walk beside Tatiana de Rosnay, following her into the moods, choices and writing patterns of Daphne du Maurier. It reminded me how important it is for a writer to follow the inspiration and create a routine so that ...more
Hermien
I listened to a Dutch translation of this French biography so not entirely sure whether this had anything to do with the fact I thought the writing wasn't particularly good. It had however a lot to offer in terms of information about Daphne du Maurier so enjoyed it overall.
Contrary Reader
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a biography! What a woman. Or man (Eric Avon). I am resolutely digging about under the surface looking for slugs - and now have to read everything she has ever written.
Rachel Elizabeth
This was not a good biography, nor was it a good fictionalized take on a real person.

I fell in love with Rebecca and despite owning a collection of her short stories, I have yet to read much more. However, I am fascinated with the life that this woman had lived, skirting out of the traditional route and into a self providing one, focusing her attention on grim prose, telling stories of women and men who were often less than likeable or trustworthy. Historically, this woman lived through a perio
Maren
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copy
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Admittedly I have never read a book written by Daphne du Maurier even though Rebecca has been on my TBR forever. So I was a little nervous going in to this biography of her. The few biographies I have read in the past of other people have been kind of hard for me to get through. This book couldn't have been more different. Almost from the beginning I was hooked onto the way the author decided to write the bio. It
Liz
Feb 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
TRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH. It's supposed to be a biography but she wrote it to read like fiction. NOPE NOPE NOPE. You don't know what people were thinking to the minute detail that you can get away with this BS. If you wanted to write a historical fiction take on du Maurier, cool, but don't you dare market it as non-fiction and discredit the work actual historians do.
Bridget Vollmer
I've only read Rebecca, but loved it and when this was offered in a goodreads giveaway I entered and won.

I thoroughly enjoyed learning more about the life of Daphne du Maurier and her motivations for her writing. I'm definitely looking forward to reading more of Daphne's books.

Mandy
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Written with a novelist’s insight and empathy, this is a thoroughly enjoyable biography of Daphne du Maurier. Tatiana de Rosnay is unashamedly an enormous fan of the writer, and inserts herself into the narrative on occasion, and these personal comments add rather than detract from the narrative. Well-researched and well-written, this otherwise conventional biography is as compulsively readable and absorbing as any of de Rosnay’s own novels, and yet remains balanced and objective throughout. Hig ...more
Joan Colby
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A biography of Daphne du Maurier. At first, I was unsure about the effectiveness of using present tense in a biography, but it did add an element of immediacy and brought du Maurier to life as a person. She was rather interesting being bi-sexual, but focused primarily on her writing to the exclusion of relationships. In my estimation her best book was the famed "Rebecca" followed by her outstanding short story "The Birds."
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The House on the Strand
  • The Scapegoat
  • Mary Anne
  • The Doll: The Lost Short Stories
  • The Witch of Lime Street: Séance, Seduction, and Houdini in the Spirit World
  • Playing to the Gods: Sarah Bernhardt, Eleonora Duse, and the Rivalry That Changed Acting Forever
  • My Cousin Rachel
  • The Devil's Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney)
  • The Meat Cake Bible
Saint Martins Press USA
October 2018

"Sentinelle de la Pluie"
Editions Héloise d'Ormesson
and in Norway, Holland, Sweden and Germany.

Follow me on Twitter at