Start by marking “Blott (The Canvas Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blott (The Canvas Chronicles, #1)

Blott (The Canvas Chronicles, #1)

1. The world outside his village is made up of a giant canvas that stretches all the way to the horizon.

2. A freakish ability that he has kept secret for years means that he can paint life into the fabric, and s
Published December 3rd 2014 by Daniel Parsons

To ask other readers questions about Blott, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blott

Linda Grant
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bring on book two.

I really liked this story, reading about Blott's struggles first to contain his power hiding it from everyone but his parents, then to understand what it is and finally to try to control it. The story is already set up for a sequel, something to look forward to.
Steph Warren
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
*I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.*

I really enjoyed this book. It reminded me somewhat of Jasper Fforde's writing style/stories, especially Shades of Grey, but despite the similarities Daniel Parsons has produced a fresh and unique fantasy. It is pitched as YA, but I was completely unaware of that until after I had finished it, so would say it is suitable for YA and adult alike (not 'children' as although there is no sex, the violence could be pretty scary).

So
Barb
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What do you know about the world beyond the borders of your town? Do you always do as you’re told? Blott doesn’t know where he came from. He knows that the people taking care of him aren’t his real parents. They found him out in the desert and took him home. Now people in town are starving but are afraid to search for food beyond the borders for fear monsters or evil creatures will be lured into town and kill them all. Once Blott finally tries to leave the town, he realizes the dangers he was be ...more
Jackie
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great story about Blott and how he struggles to find out who he really is. He ventures beyond the town to see what's there. A bit strange but definitely enjoyable for a first read from this author. Received a free book.
Roger
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
My first read from author Daniel Parsons and it was an enjoyable one.In depth character development, a unique, well crafted story line. I'll be seeking out more from him.
Kimia Wood
Aug 03, 2015 rated it liked it
For all this manuscript’s unprofessionalism, the story still swept me along so that I had no choice but finish it.

The story centers around Blott, a boy whose village faces starvation due to a drought and is controlled almost exclusively by the chief member of the council. In an attempt to find relief for his people, Blott discovers things about himself and his world, and is forced to explore the strange abilities that separate him from the rest of the people, even from his parents and brother. H
Sahara Foley
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I’ve been intrigued by this story since I downloaded it back in June 2015. I thought it had a very different premise for a story line; that of a boy, Blott, who can paint the world around him from ink that leaks out of his hands. The people he grew up with referred to themselves as Canvas People, and outside of their immediate village, everything around them was called the White Plains. Basically, a blank canvas of unending white.

Blott has a terrible secret, one his parents made him hide all hi
William Stuart
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I saw the cover for this book (recommended to me in my Amazon feed) and was intrigued. I read the blurb and liked what it said, so I picked it up. I’m glad I did!

Synopsis (from the author): When a devastating famine forces Blott to disobey his parents and leave his remote village in search of food, he learns three things that change his life forever.

2. A freakish ability that he has kept sec
Zeecé Lugo
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked the start of this book: straight into action as the main character, Blott, runs for his life! Blott is one of the “canvas” people. Their world seems to be built on a surface made of something like knotted rope, or a canvas, which left to itself, is no more than a desert. I found this concept to be so creative, so different, that I have to wonder how the author conceptualized it. Instead of going with the usual fantasy elements that most YA writer s use such as elves, dwarves, magic stone ...more
John Collings
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Even though early on in this novel, I thought I would be seeing once again the typical hero's journey, but as the story progressed I was pleasantly surprised. Daniel Parsons has created a completely original fantasy story that will remind readers of an old west shoot-out combined with a young man's struggle with finding his identity when he is unwillingly given powers that could save or destroy his small town that he lives just outside of the white plains. The characters are well-defined and com ...more
K.T.
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
The story line for this book begins with action and continues much the same way. The fantasy world which Daniel Parsons has created is original - I haven't read anything like this before. Blott is an outsider, which will resonate with most readers as we all seem to possess the hard-done-by gene and the story follows his plight within the Canvas tribe to which his family belongs. It's a first in series and does a great job of setting up the dystopian world view and introducing important character ...more
PJ Lea
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's classed as a YA book but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Blott is a great character and his abilities were not what I was expecting.
Really well thought out and easy to read, can't wait for book 2 to find out what else will happen in this strange world.
Ami
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Blott has a unique and very creative premise. I enjoyed reading it and the many surprising twists kept me turning pages to see what would happen next. The author did a wonderful and colorful description of the world. The characters were well developed. I would definitely recommend this book.

Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this book from the author who requested an honest review.
lynn loftis
David Whovian
Apr 01, 2015
Scott Collins
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Intriguing read. I love the concept of the design of the world. It's quite unique. Fabulous character development, quick pace, lots of action, wonderful world building. This was the first book I've read by Mr. Parsons, but it's unlikely to be the last. I look forward to more of Blott's adventures.
Lindsay
rated it did not like it
Apr 20, 2015
Matthew E Nordin
Jun 12, 2017
Leslie Wiederspan
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting story! Blott is a typical teenager, but with surprising abilities. He wants to help his village and save them from starvation, but he doesn't know how. He gets into trouble, but manages to find his way out, albeit through several trying moments. It may be a story geared towards the younger crowd, but as a 30-something, I really enjoyed this fantasy tale.
Jeanette