Start by marking “The Sisters” as Want to Read:
The Sisters

The Sisters

One lied. One died.

When one sister dies, the other must go to desperate lengths to survive. Haunted by her twin sister's death, Abi is making a fresh start in Bath. But when she meets twins Bea and Ben, she is quickly drawn into their privileged and unsettling circle.

When one sister lies, she must protect her secret at all costs. As Abi tries to keep up with the demands
Published August 13th 2015 by HarperCollins (first published August 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Sisters, please sign up.
Sandy Panagos
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Sisters
Liz Barnsley
Gosh I read this fast – seriously once started there is no stopping so there’s a slight warning for you. Don’t try and fit “just a couple of chapters” in before you have to go somewhere.

The Sisters is a tense and very gripping psychological thriller, totally twisted in the best way possible – in this case rather than one protagonist you just can’t work out and who will drive you mad, you have two.

Abi has lost her twin and is a bit lost herself. Seeing Lucy everywhere she goes, she suffers a brea
Alicja
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
I am going to be truthful, I selected ‘The Sisters’ purely due to its great jacket and a tagline ‘One Lied One Died’ that I thought was really good in its simplicity and I believed promised thrills and perhaps, I hoped, psychological suspense. It delivered neither.

The major problem I have with The Sisters is that it reads like a creative writing task, and one that was rushed to meet a deadline. To make matters worse, for the first few chapters I was convinced I’d been reading a teenage novel and
Dannii Elle
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I saw this was sold as 'for fans of The Girl on the Train' on the cover, I was dubious. Numerous thrillers have lured me in with similarly dressed promotions, only for me to discover that either the statement is completely false, or the book is nothing more than a sub-par imitation. Imagine my surprise, when this book turns out to be deserving of its accolade!

The sisters is a book revolving around Abi, the one remaining twin who survived after a tragic accident. Almost two years later and s
Elyse  Walters
Creepy.....snicker fiddle feathers!!!!!!!

Its not like this book is first rate literature--or educational--nor would I say the prose is exquisite ...however, it 'is' an adrenaline rush! A fast read -one sitting- race to the finish line....with unstable, inscrutable characters.

Dead or alive...( doesn't seem to make any difference)....because in THIS novel,
it's DOUBLE YOU FUN, DOUBLE YOUR PLEASURE with TWO sets of TWINS!

Highly recommended for adrenaline addicts, caffeine addicts, chaos addicts, co
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Sooooo, here is my confession: I judge books by their covers. I picked up The Sisters by Claire Douglas based on the cover and tag line. It was set in Britain so I was eagerly awaiting to read this book in one shot. Two days later...

RATING: 2 STARS
2015 (UK) 2016 (North America); Harper Collins

​​After the loss of her twin sister, Abi has moved to Bath to be closer to her parents. One day she meets Bea, who looks a lot like her sister Lucy and her. Bea invites her to a art opening at her home and
Janet
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it
I had seen The Sisters around a lot and knew it was a book I wanted to get to though it took me a fair while. My reading mountain is alarmingly huge!!

Abi, our main character, is now living in Bath, after the death of her twin sister, Lucy. Dying in a car accident where Abi had been the driver, Abi is now racked with grief and guilt as she tries to come to terms with the tragedy. She meets Beatrice, a vivacious, charismatic young woman who looks uncannily like Lucy. Abi is immediately entranced
Jules
I enjoyed this psychological thriller. The Sisters had an interesting mix of characters with various secrets and dark sides to them. This story kept me guessing throughout and eager to find out how it was going to end.

There were a couple of things that frustrated me, and felt a little unrealistic, but you never really know how you’re going to react in a situation until you’re living it yourself. I just kept getting frustrated that a character allowed themselves to stay within the house much long
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Don't you just love a book that you read cover to cover in one sitting? This is exactly what I did with The Sisters, it swallowed up a whole Friday evening and I loved it! This is a really interesting psychological drama thriller that has some fascinating and surprising twists at the end. You might see it coming, you might now.

Abi is still grieving and feeling terrible about the death of her twin sister Lucy. Bea and Ben are twins and Bea bears a striking resemblance to Abi/Lucy and they are pu
Lee
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, another fantastic gripping psychological thriller. From the first page I was hooked and I did not want to put it down, I became totally enthralled in Abi's world. The story is fast paced and you are not sure who is telling the truth and who is telling lies which keeps the suspense level high. I would highly recommend this book ...more
Zoey
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abi has moved to Bath to try & make a fresh start in life after the devastating death of her identical twin sister Lucy. She meets the very colourful Beatrice (who reminds her so much of Lucy) & her twin brother Ben and this is where things start to get really interesting.
This is a really good psychological thriller with lots of twists & turns that keep you wondering until the end – Who’s lying, Who’s telling the truth, Who exactly is manipulating who & can you trust any of them?? 4.5★
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-star
An effortlessly read thriller cum mystery cum drama from newly established author - and winner of a glossy magazines search to find the next big literary star - this is an enjoyable and darkly fascinating story of Abi who is recovering from the sudden death of her twin sister Lucy.

When Abi meets the beautiful, vivacious and outspoken Beatrice and soon after her twin brother Ben, she begins to think that they are what is missing from her life since Lucy's death. But shortly after moving into the
Eve
Could these characters be MORE unlikeable and shallow? Obviously not. This book tested my nerves and patience all day! And Abi dear, did you really need 300 pages to get the idea of leaving the house (where, btw, you live rent free) when suspecting that someone there is trying to harm you and drive you mad?!
Anna
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Abi.

Bea.

Who's telling the truth?

Clear your schedule. You won't be able to put this one down.
Jane Lythell
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The first thing that struck me about The Sisters was how adeptly I was pulled into the story from the opening pages. You meet Abi who is reeling from the death of her beloved twin sister. As well as grief she is experiencing terrible guilt and she is needy and fragile.
Abi meets and becomes involved with another set of twins - the glamorous and privileged Beatrice and Ben who seem golden siblings with their five storey house in Bath complete with artworks and a brace of artist lodgers. Claire Do
Erica
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Abi has moved to Bath to try and come to terms with the death of her twin sister Lucy. She is alone in a new city and grieving despite her attempts to try and make a fresh start. Very quickly, through what appears coincidence, she becomes friends with Bea, a vivacious character who bears a strong resemblance to her dead sister Lucy. Bea shares a luxurious 5 storey house with her twin brother Ben and Abi, flattered to be noticed by someone so glamorous as Bea, moves in with them, becoming part of ...more
booksNpenguins
Fucked up, much?
I loved it, but now I feel the need to stay away from twins/siblings everywhere. No offense, of course.

😲
Joodith
Mar 06, 2016 rated it did not like it
“Grippingly claustrophobic....” not my words, but those of someone on the staff of Marie Claire. Hmmm, really.

Where do I begin? With Abi, the main character? She is the surviving twin, her sister Lucy having died some eighteen months previously. Abi, riddled with guilt, relocates to Bath to begin afresh. A chance encounter with Bea, who looks strikingly similar to Lucy, sparks a friendship not only with Bea but – would you believe it – her twin brother Ben. He of the long legs, the lanky but su
Felicity
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Brilliant!

Would totally recommend this. Kept a few things up her sleeve the whole way through. Well written, tight language and vivid descriptions. Don't miss a chance to read this one. I don't want to give anything away for this one. Just read it.
Pippin N
Aug 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book is engaging, that is true. I kept listening, waiting for the promising twists, turns and then the end.. All strange characters, undeveloped shallow creatures. I can't say I agree with any of the favourable reviews... it's reminded me of a Bouquet of Barbed Wire. A complete let down.
Bookread2day
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
After the tragic death of her twin sister Abi moves to Bath to make a new fresh start. It is there she stills sees her twin sister everywhere. Abi is haunted by the memory of her dead sister Lucy all the time. Before Lucy died, Abi was fun and hard-working,and popular within her group of friends. But now Abi has become the sort of person that others try to avoid. Where Abi keeps being haunted by her twin Lucy she thinks she has seen her sister but it is someone handing out flyers who makes and s ...more
Tracy Fenton
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ooooh! if like me you love an unreliable narrative, lots of twists and turns, dark and deep secrets, strange and sick individuals and a fast moving, extremely tense and gripping psychological thriller then you will devour this one. 4.5 stars.
Jo
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one. The tension just kept building and just when I thought it was going one way, it would veer off into different territory. I think fans of psychological suspense will really like this book.
Miriam Smith (A Mother’s Musings)
“The Sisters” by Claire Douglas was an entertaining read, I enjoyed the story as a whole but from a critical point of view, all of the characters were false and unlikeable and the denouement rather suspect. If you’re after passing the time away with a novel to keep you engrossed I’d happily recommend this book but to the hardened psychological thriller reader, I think you’d be left wanting and therefore is best left alone.

3 stars
Rachael Richey
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Having pre-ordered this book a couple of months ago, I was anxious to sit down and get stuck in, and I wasn't disappointed.

Abi has moved to Bath from London to try and start a new life after the death of her twin sister, Lucy. She has been through a lot and is very fragile and vulnerable, and when she meets artist Beatrice, she is very quickly drawn into her circle of friends, which includes her twin brother Ben. Abi grows close to both Beatrice and Ben, and as these relationships progress, the
Louisa Treger
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an utterly gripping psychological thriller. Once started, it won’t let you put it down. It is told from the viewpoints of two characters: Abi, struggling to comes to terms with the death of her twin sister, and Bea, glamorous and wealthy, but troubled. When Abi moves into the house that Bea owns and shares with her twin brother, Ben, and a collection of artistic lodgers, strange things begin to happen: treasured letters go missing and menacing messages are left in Abi’s room. It quickly ...more
Gina
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
4.5/5 stars!
Okay wow, I actually flew through this!

This book is a psychological thriller with mind fuck after mind fuck. You think you've got it all figured out, that you know who the crazy ass is but then the next page your suddenly sitting there with your jaw plastered to the floor bc it's not that person at all. Or is it?!

This is about Abi, a woman who's lost her twin sister, Lucy, in a horrible accident. She moves to Bath to run away from everything that reminds her of Lucy and what happe
Fionnuala
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a really well written psychological thriller which deals with grief, loss, love, trust and guilt so well - all those things we tackle in real every day lives. It tells the story of Abi whose twin sister has recently died. When she meets Bea, who looks like Abi's sister, and Bea is also a twin, they strike up a friendship that at first is magical. It's only when they move in together to Bea's house (I want to live there)that things start to unravel.
Though its a gripping thriller, it's al
Karen
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
À Psychological Thriller

I gàve this book five stars because it had me on the edge of my seat the whole time, I 4ead it in one sitting. I could not put it down, I highly recommend it to anybody who enjoys their chillers with lots of twists and turn s with an end ing I did not anticipate,
Kirstie
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
So many twists and turns hard to see where it would go
Kat
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was an anticlimax book. I saw most of what happened coming and even though I got two surprises one left me thinking is that it? and the other left me feeling confused.

• The Silent Friend
  • I Made a Mistake
  • La passeggiata
  • Apple of My Eye
  • Don’t You Cry
Claire Douglas always wanted to write novels and, after many years of trying to get published, her dream came true when she won the Marie Claire Debut Novel Award in 2013 with THE SISTERS.

Her second and third novels, LOCAL GIRL MISSING and LAST SEEN ALIVE (Penguin), are Sunday Times bestsellers.

News & Interviews

“He's the anchor to my boat and I worry that I will float out to sea, directionless, without him.” 4 likes
“but in spite of all that we still loved each other. You can’t switch those feelings off.” 0 likes