Start by marking “Medio rey (El mar quebrado, #1)” as Want to Read:
Medio rey (El mar quebrado, #1)

Medio rey (Shattered Sea #1)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  36,940 Ratings  ·  4,049 Reviews
Yarvi, el hijo menor del rey, nació con una malformación en una mano que ha llevado a todo el mundo a considerarlo «medio hombre». Por eso, en lugar de convertirse en guerrero como los demás varones de su estirpe, se ha dedicado a estudiar los secretos de la Clerecía. En la víspera de la última prueba, llega la noticia de que su padre y su hermano han sido asesinados, por ...more
Published May 7th 2015 by Fantascy (first published July 3rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Medio rey, please sign up.
Alissa The works are unrelated and set in different worlds, so you can safely pick whichever you like first. I agree with Lee Dunning though, Half a King is…moreThe works are unrelated and set in different worlds, so you can safely pick whichever you like first. I agree with Lee Dunning though, Half a King is not completely a discontinuity, but it's very different from Abercrombie's previous books, so if you had been meaning to read him forever, The Blade Itself is your pick.(less)
Stas Although there are some references to the same world as the First Law, they're mostly just in-jokes. It's most surely not the same world, as there are…moreAlthough there are some references to the same world as the First Law, they're mostly just in-jokes. It's most surely not the same world, as there are very few common threads between the worlds, apart from the fact that they're both medieval.(less)

Patrick
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First off, I would like to taunt you all just a little bit. Because I got to read an ARC of this book and you have to wait until it comes out in July.

But I can say this: This particular book is worth the wait.

I've been a fan of Abercrombie's stuff for years. His worldbuilding is great, his characterization is marvelous, he writes an amazing action scene...

Yeah, simply said, his craft is undeniably excellent.

That said, sometimes I put down one of his books and think to myself, "Well, I guess
Emily May
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, 2014
Once, after his father had hit him in a rage, Yarvi's mother had found him crying. The fool strikes, she had said. The wise man smiles, and watches, and learns.
Then strikes.

Half a King is the kind of book that creeps up on you gradually, painting a picture of kingdoms and slavery and backstabbing until you think this is basically another fantasy set in the comfort zone of the genre, and then it hits you hard when you least expect it. I kid you not, there were three huge "twists" in this book
Brent Weeks
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blurbed
Opportunities to blurb one’s nemesis are rare indeed. Having been published in ye olde aught-7, Joe Abercrombie is the elder in our Sith-padawan duo, whilst I have only been in print since late, late 2008. Our careers have followed similar trajectories: each of us receiving early and effusive critical praise (oh wait, that was him), each of us selling millions of books (him more millions–or a more… ebullient publicist), each of us winning the David Gemmell Legend Award (oh wait, that was me), ea ...more
Lola
description

There were four parts in this epic fantasy story. The first held little interesting scenes and turned out to be quite banal for nothing surprising happened. We were introduced to the main character and his family, which was good, but, really, other than that it was the basic king-died-needs-replacement-hero-becomes-king-marriage-betrayal and everything felt really flatly executed. The second part though was different and original. In each part, actually, we met new characters. There were in fact
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes fantasy
Recommended to Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more by: Faye, la Patata
12/29/17 - ON SALE for $2.99:

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

It's not a secret that YA fantasy is second to only UF on my preferred genres list. It's also not a secret that YA fantasy has been falling flat for me recently. With the exception of Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas, the last 6 or 8 YA fantasies I've read have been disappointing at best, DNFs at worst.

It was getting to the point that I was doubting myself, thinking that I was in some kind of genre-specific book funk, and m
Robin Hobb
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just so no one thinks I'd review a book I hadn't read, yes, I got to read it already as an Advanced Reading Copy. I've enjoyed Abercrombie's books before but this one had an exceptionally tight focus on the protagonist that I really liked. And the story does not compromise anywhere. It's a coming of age story but that trite description does it no justice. No spoilers here, just a whole hearted recommendation.
Rick Riordan
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m a big fan of Abercrombie stark gritty fantasy books for grown-ups. His fiction pulls no punches and takes no prisoners (unless those prisoners are later tortured and executed). So I was curious to see how he would approach the world of young adult fiction in Half a King. The answer: brilliantly. Abercrombie creates a fantasy world that is somewhat neo-Viking, set around the Shattered Sea (the Baltic and North Atlantic?) ages after the elves (21st Century man?) shattered god (Blew everything ...more
Maggie
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
From the many cages ranked around the walls they looked down on him now, the doves, and one great bronze-feathered eagle which must have brought a message from the High King in Skekenhouse. The one person in the lands around the Shattered Sea who had the right to make requests of Yarvi now. Yet here he sat against the dropping-speckled wall, picking at the nail on his shriveled hand, buried beneath a howe of demands he could never fulfill.

As someone who has stepped out of her YA comfort zone
Dan Schwent
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
When his father and brother are killed, half-handed Yavri finds himself king. His reign is woefully short as he is betrayed and left for dead. After being rescued and sold into slavery, he plots his revenge...

I got this from Netgalley.

After the unbridled awesomeness of The First Law and its spinoffs, I was curious to see if Joe Abercrombie could tell a story set in another world. Turns out he can.

While Half a King is marketed as Young Adult (or Adults That Don't Enjoy Reading About Sex and/or Vi
Cait • A Page with a View
This was so different from what I was expecting! It was a quick, fast-paced read and I was totally laughing out loud in so many parts! Plus, there were three big plot twists I did NOT see coming... and I loved it all.

Prince Yarvi is born with a crippled hand and will not let himself or the reader forget that he is therefore half a man because he can't even hold a shield. Yarvi was never meant to be king, but all sorts of twisted schemes ensue and he finds himself on the throne... (view spoiler)
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
99 cent Kindle sale, June 29, 2017. This is a trilogy but the first book would work fine as a standalone read.

description

There I was, peacefully reading a decent, interesting YA fantasy, a sort of Viking-flavored coming-of-age story about the adventures of a physically weak, studious 15 year old prince with a crippled hand. Prince Yarvi briefly reigns over the kingdom of Gettland when his father and brother die, but he's betrayed and abruptly descends from the throne to abject slavery. Yarvi, determined t
Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway)
The fool strikes. The wise man smiles, and watches, and learns. Then strikes.

Half a King is what I would call a very traditional fantasy. It’s about kings and queens, princes and the fight for the throne, wars and conspiracies. It is set in a world that resembles medieval Europe/the Viking era and in many ways it isn’t a very original story.

BUT

It is utterly fantastic.
This book really demonstrates what a great writer Joe Abercrombie is, that he was able to take something so traditional and
Faye, la Patata
H-H-H-H-H-H-H-HOLY SHHHHHHHIIIIIT!

THE TWISTS! THE TURNS! THE CONSPIRACIES! THE BETRAYALS!

THEY ALL FUCKING BUUUUUURN

*eyes shift to father*

*eyes shift to mother*

*eyes shift to brothers*

*eyes shift to grandmother*

Curious..... very curious indeed....

*eyes shift to dog*

Okay, you're cool, dog. I doubt you even know what I'm talking about.

BUT CRAAAAAAP

This. Book. Is. AWESOME.

This. Book. Is
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
It's hard to describe the feelings of reading this book. It starts off with Yarvi training to be a minister. As luck with have it he ends up being king after his father and brother are killed. Yarvi is young and born with only one good hand so of course he is teased and tormented.
I hate to give away any of the story because it's an adventure I think you should take without any foresight into it.
RUN AND READ THIS BOOK!!
I'm so glad I started reading fantasy or I would have missed this gem. I will
Robin (Bridge Four)
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like Brandon Sanderson orThe Emperor's Blades
Recommended to Robin by: Kat Stark Stark
on sale 9/30/17 at amazon for $2.99

Just as good the second time through. Still a 4.5 star read.

4.5 Stars

This is my very first Joe Ambercrombie book and as an avid high fantasy reader I can’t believe I haven’t stumbled onto him before. He does a great job at blending a great world with fantastic characters and story without getting caught up in the drudgery of over explaining everything. After finishing this I was sure of three things, I will anxiously await the next installment of this series,
Bookdragon Sean
I remember how excited I was when this book came out. When it came through the letter box, I practically screamed like a little girl because the cover looked that awesome. I’d just read the First Law Trilogy and was eager to see what this would be like. When I began reading I was so shocked at the complete change in style, complexity and quality. Don’t get me wrong, I do like this book, but it was nowhere near as accomplished as his previous novels.

Predictable in the beginning

I’m still quite
C.G. Drews
Oh that was deliciously hilarious. I'm not used to reading heavy epic-fantasy WITH a good dash of humour! I AM SO PLEASED. I spent a lot of time smirking and a lot of time loving Yarvi. It was so fresh and entertaining and totally kept me captivated. Plus it wasn't two million pages long. And the chapters were short and the sentences were crisp. Seriously, this book is nearly perfection.

The only things I wasn't sold on was the averageness of the story line. It had some epic twists at the end an
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Heck yes. This is how you write High Fantasy. SO GOOD. So easy to follow. Oh man.

Review to come!

My Blog ~ Instagram ~ Twitter ~ Etsy
Natalie Monroe

"The fool strikes," she had said. "The wise man smiles, watches, and learns.

Then strikes."

Sorry if this review contains a lot of incoherent gushing and fangirling. I just sent my brain to her room for not making me read this sooner.

Come to think of it, all of you deserve to be there, too. You know who you are, my so-called friends with your four-star, five-star reviews. Why didn't you tell me to read this sooner??? All of you, room.

Yarvi is about to take his minister's test when new
Gavin
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was an OK YA fantasy. The story was a bit predictable but it did have a mix of action and intrigue, and a few twists and turns that kept the pages turning.

Yarvi, unfavoured second son (one with a frowned upon crippled hand), was never supposed to be king but had to step into the role after his father and brother were murdered by a rival king under the banner of a peace meeting. Yarvi swears vengeance but soon finds he has as many enemies in his own court as he has in rival kingdoms!

I was
Bookwraiths
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths Reviews

Since starting to read fantasy again several years ago, there have been a few authors whose names have been constantly whispered in my ear as the “it” writers to try: Peter V. Brett, Brent Weeks, Mark Lawrence, and especially Joe Abercrombie. From all the gushing, I was led to believe that reading a novel penned by Lord Grimdark (as Mr. Abercrombie is called) would not only enthrall me in his fantasy spell but leave me a meth-like addict begging for mor
Conor
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 stars.

With his latest effort Abercrombie breaks the mould he has set for himself with his hugely successful series of 'grimdarks' and tries his hand at YA. While this book lacks the depth and complexity of his previous work this is still a fast-paced, enjoyable read filled with betrayal, hardship and adventure and fleshed out with well-written characters.

"I swore an oath to avenge the death of my father. I may be half a man, but I swore a whole oath.”

Yarvi is 'half a man', a crippled p
Athena Shardbearer
Spoilers ahead!

Buddy read with Alexa

Thank you NetGalley for providing me a copy for review.

Actual Rating:
Overall-4.5 stars
YA-5 stars
Dark Fantasy 3.5 stars

Strong men are many, wise men are few.

I LOVED IT!! LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVED IT! Here is why...

A man swings the scythe and the ax, a man pulls the oar and makes fast the know. Most of all a man hold the shield. A man holds the line. A man stands by his shoulder-man. What kind of man can do none of these things?

I didn't ask for half a hand.

I didn'
Maria Clara
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Es la primera vez que le abro las puertas de mi casa a Abercrombie y ya lo he adoptado! Es más, estoy deseandito saber cómo continua esta trilogía...
Maxwell
Sep 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, ya, 2015
I'm wavering between a 3.5 and 4 stars for this one, but for now I'll leave it at 4.

After sleeping on it, I've decided to lower this to a 3 on Goodreads, but just know that if I could give it a 3.5 I would. I still recommend this one, it just isn't quite a 4 star read to me. Let me explain:

Half a King is a story of the underdog and revenge and a band of thieves. It has so many tropes and at times the dialogue is quite cliche. But the author occasionally does something so interesting and unexpect
Marta Álvarez
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5
Ya sabéis que si algo me gusta son los buenos personajes, y el protagonista de esta historia es uno de los mejores que he leído en mucho tiempo. Yarvi es ya de por sí interesante al inicio de la historia, pero pasa por absolutamente de todo, y la forma en que evoluciona es impresionante.
Está acompañado de un elenco de secundarios no menos profundos y atractivos como personajes, y de una historia llena de tensión e intrigas, envuelta en una ambientación y un estilo deliciosos de leer.
Si deb
Mayim de Vries
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will tell you one thing about this book. No, actually, I will tell you one word. No, in fact, I will tell you Nothing. Nothing!!!

This is my second Joe Abercrombie book, and after the slight disappointment of Best Served Cold, it took me a year to come back to him. Don’t get me wrong, it had all tell-tale signs of a great author, it was just inconsistent in its grim darkness vomiting rainbows at the end. Thus, I approached Half a King wary and with my snark unsheathed. Needlessly. The adventur
Nikoleta
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Πολύ ωραίο! Μπαίνει απευθείας, από την πρώτη σελίδα στο ζουμί, χωρίς μπούρου μπούρου και περιττές λεπτομέρειες και αμπελοφιλοσοφίες.
Οι περιπέτειες του ήρωα μου θύμισαν κάτι απο Μπεν Χουρ (ειδικά όλο αυτό το τραβολόγημα του κουπιού στην γαλέρα) ενώ η μητέρα του (η χρυσή βασίλισσα) έβγαζε μια αύρα αλά Cersei Lannister.
Η γλώσσα είναι απλή, αλλά η αφήγηση ζωηρή, έχει ωραιές και έξυπνες ατάκες στους διαλόγους των ηρώων ενώ οι ίδιοι οι ήρωες κατέχουν μέσα τους όλες τις αποχρώσεις, όσες φωτεινές και
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2014/06/29/b...

Half a King is marketed as a Young Adult novel so I’m also going to label it as such, but doing so also feels wrong somehow. It’s not just because it is so different and unconventional compared to what we may think of as “mainstream” YA out there, but I also think adult fantasy readers or those familiar with Joe Abercrombie’s gritty adult fantasy novels will no doubt feel right at home reading this too. Now, if you’re th
Romie
He had flung wide the door, and begged Mother War to be his guest. He could not stop this. No one could. Surviving it would be challenge enough.

I loved it. There, I said it.

I think it's a nice way to start my review, because that's the simple truth : I. Loved. This. Book.
It's been awhile since I've read a really good High Fantasy, and I was expecting NOTHING *wink wink* from this story - because I'd never heard of it before it was recommended to me - but I ended up really really enjoying it.

It m
  • The Widow's House (The Dagger and the Coin, #4)
  • The Shadow Throne (The Shadow Campaigns, #2)
  • The Mirror Empire (Worldbreaker Saga, #1)
  • Traitor's Blade (Greatcoats, #1)
  • Tomorrow, the Killing (Low Town, #2)
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Fell Sword (The Traitor Son Cycle, #2)
  • Prince of Fools (The Red Queen's War, #1)
  • Sworn in Steel (Tales of the Kin, #2)
  • The Grim Company (The Grim Company, #1)
  • The Crimson Campaign (Powder Mage, #2)
  • The Emperor's Blades (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #1)
  • Age of Iron (Iron Age, #1)
  • A Crown for Cold Silver (The Crimson Empire, #1)
  • The Death of Dulgath (The Riyria Chronicles, #3)
  • The Dark Defiles  (A Land Fit for Heroes, #3)
  • The Black Guard (The Long War, #1)
Joe Abercrombie was educated at Lancaster Royal Grammar School and Manchester University, where he studied psychology. He moved into television production before taking up a career as a freelance film editor. During a break between jobs he began writing The Blade Itself in 2002, completing it in 2004. It was published by Gollancz in 2006 and was followed by two other books in The First Law Trilogy ...more
More about Joe Abercrombie

Shattered Sea (3 books)
  • Half the World (Shattered Sea, #2)
  • Half a War (Shattered Sea, #3)
“The fool strikes. The wise man smiles, and watches, and learns. Then strikes.” 267 likes
“Pick your enemies more carefully then your friends, they will be with you longer.” 119 likes