Jump to ratings and reviews

Four Letters #0.5

Those Four Letter Words

Librarian Notes: this is an alternate cover edition ASIN B00DR6X20E.

Eighteen-year-old Jade Reamer is a tough girl with a reputation to prove it. She loves three people and three people only: her brother, her boyfriend, and her best friend. Everyone else is irrelevant.

That is … until Reed enters the picture again.

Suddenly things start to spiral out of control and things aren’t as they seem. Life is no longer simply black and white, love versus hate. Suddenly, it’s hard to figure out which of those four letter words is true.

Especially when she can’t look away from those devil eyes.

I love you. I hate you. I love you. I hate you. Which is it? I don’t even know anymore.

Well, let’s find out.

This 15,000 word novella contains coarse language, angst-driven young adults, and a lot of pent-up frustration.

Oh yeah. Plus love and a little bit of hate.

(Mature YA/New Adult Contemporary)

102 pages, Kindle Edition

First published July 3, 2013

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Christina Channelle

16 books225 followers
Christina Channelle is the author of Young Adult and New Adult Fiction, her series including Four Letters and Blood Crave. She's happily addicted to coffee, the colour green, and Netflix. She's also partial to writing about angsty girls who may or may not have a potty mouth.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
4 (4%)
1 star
3 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 30 reviews
Profile Image for Kaylee Ryan.
Author 83 books5,413 followers
May 28, 2013

First of all Thank you Christina Channelle for allowing me to read an ARC of this book. Those Four Letter Words was an enjoyable read! The characters and their personalities are easy to relate to. The plot keeps you on the edge of your seat, waiting to see what is going to happen next.

This is a quick read and with that being said, my only complaint is that it was not long enough!! Just as you start to fall for the characters and get immersed in their lives, the story wraps. However, I little birdie (Uh hmm - Christina) has said that there might be a continuation. So lets pester her until there is. **winks** I need more Jade and Reed!!

So if you are looking for a quick romance with a little angst, you need to read Those Four Letter Words.
Profile Image for Emily Godwin.
Author 4 books82 followers
July 29, 2013
Those Four Letter Words is a quick and enticing read that definitely leaves the reader wanting more. I loved Reed and I might die if I don’t get more of him soon! I’m a sucker for guys with green eyes, though. Jade is one of the very few kickass girls that I can honestly say I was rooting for while reading this. Christina did a fabulous job with each character and the story itself. The story sucks you in, and you’ll often find yourself thinking “OMG! NO!” and you’ll wish to kick a few of the characters. Those Four Letter Words makes you think and really does show how closely love and hate are related.
1 review
May 28, 2013
I was asked to read an ARC copy in exchange for a honest review. The story captured my attention from start to finish. Every character is unique in their own way and there's a good message derived from this story. Everybody can relate to it and that's what I love most. Great work Christina!!! :)
Profile Image for Anubha.
37 reviews6 followers
November 7, 2014
I love love loved it...

TFLW is Jade Reamer's story where she tells us about her love-hate relationships with the people close to her. In the beginning Jade tells us about her English assignment on the most amazing topic of love and hate, discussing the differences and similarities between the two. But for Jade it a bullshit and a moronic assignment. Why? Because in the following story she discusses about the people in her life and the relationship she share with them. Why is that a problem? Well I can't tell you here its a spoiler.

"Three.
It was the number of people in my life that I cared for more than life itself"

That number didn't include her parents because they din't count she love them. Those three changes as she grew up but among those three her brother Bryn was constant and Reed and Nina were of her three for long time. And Connor was also a big part of her life.
Bryn was the best elder brother, he was loving, caring, protective for his sister and her best friend (I have always yearned for a big brother like him).
Reed was Bryn's best friend and someone with whom Jade shares a strong Love-Hate relationship. I was pinning for him since the beginning (I don't know why I always want the second guy to win) he was perfectly imperfect though I hope he overcomes his habit of running away.
Nina and Connor were her best friends in school. Nina was the first girl best friend Jade had at school because Jade was someone who was ready for fight, get's angry easily and can punch in your face without giving any second thought and girls hated her guts while Nina was blunt and had guts to tell it to Jade like it was. Connor was her boyfriend and a jerk/looser, I didn't quite liked him from the beginning and by the middle of the story I wanted to strangle him to death because it was due to him that problems started to crop up one by one in Jade's life after one single accident that involved Connor.
But as they say all's well that ends well.

Overall I loved the story and would love to read more. Jade is a strong protagonist.
I would be giving it only 3.5 out of 5 because it was too short, it was not able to show Jade's relationships properly and at times felt rushed as if the story was trying to reach the end as soon as possible. I would have love to read more on brother-sister bonding of Jade and Bryn. Her childhood and her crush on Reed.
I hope author continues Jade's story because I would love to know more about her relationship with her parents especially after what happened. About her and Connor's new found friendship and more about Jade.

It's a nice short read that you must give a try if you like reading about love and hate together as one.

I give this story 3.5 out of 5

92 reviews
July 8, 2013
This is the first new adult book I’m reviewing. According to USA Today, “New Adult novels explore the terrifying and wonderful chasm between adolescence and adulthood”. While the story in this book doesn’t exactly explore that chasm much, I could see some of that element in the story. It is a short story (only 15,000 words) but it is unforgettable. The story dives right into the main plot with barely any buildup. Along the way, we discover bits of information about Jade and Reed’s past.

I didn’t really like Jade’s character at first. She has been with her boyfriend, Connor, for two years. While I can’t exactly give information about what Connor has done, I’m going to give an example, a hypothetical situation. Let’s imagine that Connor hits Jade. Jade is one of those girls who would say, “Yes, he hit me again but we had been fighting and he hit me while he was drunk. I love him and he loves him. We have been together for two years. I’m forgiving him for hitting me again”. I couldn’t help but think that she was too naive and stupid. Learning more about her past helped me to see why she acts the way she does, but my feelings about her are still a tad mixed.

Jade’s character was explored in-depth to a certain extent. Her character was well developed compared to the other characters. I suppose the shortness of the story has something to do with that, but I did think that the story could have explored the relationships between the various characters in a deeper level.

There’s a thin line between love and hate. Jade wavers between the two as she struggles with her feelings. She has been deeply hurt in the past and her past made her the person she is now, “an unfeeling b****” (according to Reed). Only a proper explanation from Reed would help her sort her feelings out. There’s plenty of misunderstandings in the story. Things aren’t always the way they seem to be. There’s a surprise or two in there as well.

At the end of the novella, I was disappointed there wasn’t more. I wanted more on the relationship between Jade and Reed. There was precious little about it in the story and most of it took place towards the end. There’s a hint to more, maybe in a sequel? I’m definitely hoping for a sequel.

Conclusion: The language in the novella isn’t clean. The story is short and can be read in one sitting, but don’t think that it’s simple. It contains plenty of teen angst, relationship troubles and dilemmas.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received the ARC of this book free. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Profile Image for Karla Mae (Reads and Thoughts).
696 reviews143 followers
July 3, 2013
Love and Hate
Four Letter Words.
Strong Four letter words.

I started reading this about on the weary and edgy side, I really didn't know what to expect with all the tension and mystery as to what would happen next. Though only a novella, the romance is pretty captivating and exciting, I even find myself rooting for someone.

I really find the way it was written suitable for the story itself, short but definitely concise (though I'm still looking for little tidbits more). The story build-up was really exiting and interesting where I find myself looking forward to what would really happen.

Jade is such a real character. What you see is what you get. She's living a good enough life that is really far from perfect. She's dating the popular guy - Connor but has a lovable yet alcoholic big brother and a pretty blunt best friend Nina. Add up to this is the reappearance of the guy who left her broken when she was just fifteen year old. Oh and her parents are keeping a secret from here. Hmm. Yes, her life is really far far from perfect, but I love her spunky character. She's just pretty real.

I enjoyed reading it and and devoured it in one easy reading, but I'm looking for more. I know, its just a novella and things I'm looking for might not be really there so my only hope for this is for a sequel to come. Pretty please author, next book please.

*Thanks to the author for providing a copy for review.*
Profile Image for Kelli.
223 reviews17 followers
July 9, 2013
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.

I usually prefer longer reads over short stories because I feel I never am able to connect with the characters, but this is definitely an exception. Christina Channelle wrote this in such a way that I was able to get to know the main character, Jade, just by reading the first page. I really enjoyed how it was written from Jade's point of view and in her voice.
Jade is an 18 year old tough girl that doesn't take sh*t from anyone. She is given an assignment on the difference between love and hate. However, love and hate have a tendency to walk hand in hand. As far as love goes, she always loves in threes; three people at a time. At this point in her life it is her best friend, older brother, and boyfriend. Her brother, Bryn, is the only constant. She's replaced the other two spots as people have left, but it's always ever three at a time.

I would have never thought that so much could happen in 58ish pages. I was wrong. This novella is one of the few that has the ability to suck you in, leaving you wanting more, but also not ending on a "wtf" cliff hanger. Yes, I do want more, but if this was all that was ever told of Jade's story, I would be content.

Christina Channelle's writing style was flawless and I really don't have anything negative to say! Thank you for allowing me the chance to read and review this book. I will definitely be looking forward to reading more from her.
Profile Image for Anna.
28 reviews14 followers
July 23, 2013
I got this book to write an honest review so here it is. This review may have SPOILERS, so you've been warned!

Jade Reamers life is fine, well kind of, except for her idiotic boyfriend who cheats on her and whom she still loves, that is until she is aware of the fact that Reed is back.

As the story is told you get to know the history of Jade and Reed. Thereby you understand why Jade behaves towards Reed the way she does.

I really liked Jade's character. She is this cool chick who does not hesitate to say what she thinks or to punch someone haha :P I also liked Reeds character a lot. He seems like a genuinely nice guy who cares a lot about Jade. And of course B, Jade's brother, who has some problems he is trying do deal with. Inspite being fucked up, he tries to take care of his little sister. How adorable is that? :)

I thought the book was definately a nice read. Altough it was a short story, it didn't feel rushed. Furthermore, I really loved the first sentences of each chapter, that was very creative! And I also loved that chapter where we can read from Reeds POV, I enjoyed that!

Overall, a great book! It's a pity it was so short though, but nonetheless worth reading!
Profile Image for Amanda.
75 reviews28 followers
July 12, 2013
Those Four Letter Words is a great short story about a very relatable character Jade and her struggle with love and hate.

I’m typically a longer read type of girl due to the sheer fact that I enjoy the angst and build up of characters and their issues. However, this short has it all! Angst, romance, and twists and turns that you wouldn’t expect it to take. The chapters and subplots change so quickly that it makes for this novella to be a super fast read. I honestly just wanted to keep reading to see what would happen to poor Jade next.

The relationship between Jade and Connor really got on my nerves due to the fact that Jade simply wasn’t herself with him. Now Reed, I was rooting for him all the way!

I really enjoyed this short read and would love to read the next chapter in Jade’s crazy mixed up world of love and hate!
Profile Image for April.
233 reviews4 followers
August 11, 2013
In some ways the story follows the lines of a typical older teen/young adult tale. However, what set this novella apart for me was the way it was written. I loved the fact that the story was written as a writing assignment on love and hate that the main character had to turn in to a teacher. It added an element of humor and made the novella feel like the best version of the story. Although Jade takes several hits one after another, her ability to figure it out in the end was great. Even though read hurt Jade, I can definitely see why he did. In his shoes, I would have done the same thing he did at that time and in that situation. The final paragraph of the story and the conclusion about love and hate made so much sense to me as well.

*I received a free copy of the novella in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Sylvia Smart.
Author 1 book1 follower
June 24, 2013
Within the first few pages of this book, the reader knows s/he's in the hands of a master storyteller. Christina Channelle has a great writing style. Her romance is very captivating and the characters in the book were very realistic. The beauty of the writing is only matched by the humanity of the characters. Channelle takes us inside their minds and their hearts and we see them laid bare, essentially good people but with their flaws and weaknesses exposed, to us and to themselves. The plot was very interesting and I was eager to know what was going to happen so I couldn’t stop reading. This is a lovely book, and it is one to savor.

I was asked to read an ARC copy in exchange for a honest review.
Profile Image for Kelly (Diva Booknerd).
1,106 reviews299 followers
May 28, 2013

I really enjoyed Those Four Little Words, and devoured it within one sitting. I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to be the first person to read this angst driven, emotionally charged book in it's entirety.

Jade is genuine, her persona is realistic and true to life. I spent the first half of four letter words on edge, the tension is unbearable and you know something is coming. It was an emotional read, my only complaint is that I want more! Christina Channelle seemed to hint at there being another book... There had better be lady, I need to know!
Profile Image for Jenn Sternshein.
75 reviews14 followers
August 6, 2013
I'm not the biggest fan of short stories because they sometimes can't develop the characters. Those Four Letter Words was not like that at all. The way it was written gave me a feel of who Jade was and what she was going through. There are some hard truths about love, hate, and lost. I also loved the ending. Now I hope there will be a longer story about Jade and Reed, also that B can have a story. I hope to read more from Christina Channelle in the future. I'm glad I got the chance to read this book, it was a very fast read but well written.
Profile Image for For the Love of Books.
755 reviews27 followers
October 21, 2013
Those Four Letter Words by Christina Channelle is an awesome novella!! Without a doubt, I give it 5 stars. Love and Hate. Two completely different words, yet so closely related it’s scary. Jade is a no-nonsense girl and only has love for those few select people and doesn’t care to deal with anyone outside her circle, although that circle continues to change on her. I love how this novella is written and I can’t wait for the next book in the series to see how Jade’s story continues. I loved how it ended, but it left me with a major book hangover! ~Kendra
Profile Image for Dusti.
11 reviews22 followers
July 11, 2013
I received a copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Love vs Hate
Is there really a difference?

This Novella is Jades Story about the difference or lack thereof between love and hate. As well as everything that she faces from the very few people that she loves.

I really love this story and was sad that it was so short. I'm hoping there will be more to it that will go Into the relationship between jade and reed.
Profile Image for Kristal Amos.
40 reviews1 follower
July 21, 2013
I received this arc in exchange for an honest review.

Great story!! Even though this was a short story, it still felt completed to me! I mean don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to read more, but I didn't feel like I read an incomplete story. There were a lot if different dynamics going on for such a short story but they all tied in nicely.
Profile Image for Analee (Book Snacks).
167 reviews34 followers
June 19, 2015
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Note: I received a free digital copy of this book from Xpresso Book Tours via Smashwords in exchange for an honest review.

Hi! Today I have a review on Those Four Letter Words, the prequel novella to Jaded Little Lies. I have to admit, I was a bit hesitant in reading this book, as I am with most NA books. However, I was pleasantly surprised by this one, and it was a quick, enjoyable read.

Quick Summary

This is a short novella written as a writing assignment on love and hate for Jade Reamer, an 18 year-old who went through lots of heartache in the past, and whose life is getting no easier. When her brother's best friend, Reed, comes back into the picture, things go even more out of control and Jade has to decide between love and hate. Which is it?

My Review

This is a pretty short novella, and there's not much I can say about the plot without spoilers, but I will say that it was interesting and I enjoyed it! It went by pretty quickly, and I really liked looking into the mind of Jade as she went through difficult situations in the book.

Which brings us to characters. The author, Christina Channelle, I feel, did a great job at creating an authentic character. Jade's emotions were just all so raw, so powerful, and the author handled them quite well, especially when her emotions were conflicted (which was most of the time). I really got to see who this sharp-tongued girl really was, understand her confusion, the difficulty of being angry and upset at someone, yet unable to express those emotions to said person, or the difficulty of hating someone yet loving them as the same time.

What I liked about the writing style was that it really spoke as the character. There are swear words mentioned throughout the book, and although I could've done better with a bit less swear words, I actually thought it was a needed addition, because it let me get to know how this character thought; what she was like, and how she spoke. It made Jade seem more like a real person, and that, I really liked.

Another thing I enjoyed about the writing style was that the author didn't tell us everything right away, about the history between Jade and Reed. We get little bits of information at times, and we get to piece it together, which, not only made me more engaged in the book, it was intriguing to read about.

Overall...

A very well-written mature YA/NA novella! There is swearing in this book, and a few romance scenes, but overall, considering how most NA books are these days, this book was quite mild, and I liked that. It's an intriguing novella that got me invested in the characters in a short amount of time, and has a nice writing style. If you're looking to start somewhere in the NA genre, this could be a good start.

*Original review found at my blog.*
Profile Image for Tiffany Willams.
583 reviews30 followers
March 23, 2015
"Life is full of love-hate relationships, isn't it? Then there are those people that you just love to hate."

I enjoyed this novella very much! From the first page, I wanted to know more about Jade.

What started out as a school assignment on love and hate, it slowly turned into something more. You get into Jade's mind and you find out how she views every personal relationship in her life. From her parents and brother, to her boyfriend and best friend. You also learn that the one person she seems to hate the most, might just be the one she loves more than anything.

"I tried forgetting the stupid feelings Reed pulled out of me every single time I saw him. Feelings of anger, betrayal, hurt. Lust."

This story throws you a huge curve ball that I did not see coming! I do like how the author describes through the characters how fine the line is between love and hate.

The only complaint I would have about this novella is that a lot of stuff happens in small amount of pages. I know that it's setting up for a full length book, but it was still lots of information in just a couple of chapters. Still a great story, just a little rushed.

I'm excited to read the contining story! I want to find out more about Jade and Reed's story!

"All these people I've loved and hated? Those four letter words are quite similar, in retrospect. Don't you think?"
Profile Image for Chelsea.
31 reviews1 follower
May 15, 2015
I really enjoyed reading this quick, short story. It was easy-ish to relate to Jade and some of her struggles. I have been through some similar situations that she went through involving her best friend, Nina, but not the exact same. If it were a different story with a different plot, I probably would have hated Jade, but it wasn't, so I liked her. I understood why she said certain things or acted a certain way. I loved Reed, although I did have my moments where I was silently yelling at him because he was being stupid. Bryn (or B) was my favorite character out of all the characters, and that could be because I always wanted an older brother like him (I have an older brother, but we don't have the kind of relationship like B and Jade have). I never liked Connor, and I liked Nina until a certain point in the story.

I cannot wait to read the first full-length novel in this series.

*Note: I received this book free from Christina Channelle in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Carrie Ardoin.
558 reviews31 followers
July 16, 2013
Although this was a short novella, it was packed with a whole lot.

Jade isn't the most likable character to me, she's angry and volatile for a whole lot of reasons I don't understand. Her boyfriend cheats on her, but she always takes him back anyway, so he's not the one to blame. Just because you want to fight all the time, doesn't make you a "bad" or "kickass" heroine...especially when you might be the one to blame for your longtime boyfriend straying.

There were, in fact, so many emotional events going on, this novella felt kind of soapy. If you like that, you'll enjoy this. I really only found myself liking Reed, in spite of his generalized, stereotypical tattooed NA persona.

Hopefully, Reed will be good for Jade and change her life...she really needs it if sh'e going to be happy.
Profile Image for Addictive.
201 reviews1 follower
July 6, 2013
I was apprehensive about reading Those Four Letter Words by Christina Channelle because it was a novella, and most times with novellas I am left with wanting more. A lot more. But somehow with Those Four letter Words, Christina has compacted a story with plot twists and tension satisfied within 58 pages; so I was more than happy as I reached the very last page. I would have loved to have a longer story with Reed and Jade as a couple, we as readers can always hope.

I was slightly annoyed that there were so many subplots to this novella, there was even one within the last ten pages of the story.

I said TEN.

Which was never fully resolved. I’m hoping we get something more out of Jade, Reed, and family in the next book. Crossing my fingers.
May 21, 2015
I was given a copy by the author in exchange for an honest review.

I was captured by this story from the beginning. This was a very unique story and the characters are unique in their own way. Jade's life is going ok, besides the fact her boyfriend cheated on her. Her old friend Reed shows back up and things get a little complicated. I really liked her character. This was definitely a nice read and it actually didn't feel rushed like most short stories do.

Review done in conjunction with Nerd Girl Official. For more information regarding our reviews please visit our fansite at http://www.facebook.com/nerdgirl.ng
Profile Image for Melissa.
648 reviews14 followers
August 14, 2015
A Terrific Quick Read
This is a short read but is really chock full and doesn't leave you feeling like you're missing out on anything and doesn't have that rushed feeling that you get with so many short reads. I really enjoyed the characters and the writing flows along nicely. The plot kept me on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next. You wouldn't think that there would be room for twists and turns in a novella or the chance to connect with the characters, but this offered both, very well in fact. I can't wait to read more. I was given a complimentary copy of this book for an honest review.
Profile Image for Barbara Cerny.
Author 9 books10 followers
October 1, 2013
Fun! Fun! Fun! I really like the fact that the viewpoint was a paper that needed to be written by a teenager full of angst. We have all wanted to write "take that Mrs. Smith!" to one of our English teachers! Although Jade is not the bad girl you are led to believe, she is full of spunk. The "adopted" part seemed to be thrown in as filler and wasn't fully developed so it seems a bit out of place. That in itself could become a couple of chapters in this novella.

*I received a free copy of the novella in exchange for an honest review
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Amazeballs Book Addicts.
2,770 reviews239 followers
August 14, 2015
This was a great quick read. The story is mostly from Jade's point of view. There is one chapter from Reed's point of view. The story starts with Jade writing an assignment on the topic of the similarities between love and hate. The story was well written and I was drawn into it before I finished the first chapter. I was completely surprised (in a good way) by the direction the story went in chapters 7 and 8. This story is a 15,000 word novella. I wish it was longer.

A copy was received for a review.
Profile Image for Kate Tilton.
Author 1 book155 followers
December 29, 2015
I really enjoyed this short story. Jade (the main character) is a tough cookie and I can see how she might get on the nerves of some readers, but for me it worked. Her “me vs. the world” outlook and tough girl persona didn’t seem forced.

The full review can be found at http://katetilton.com/march-2015-k8ap...
Profile Image for Christina.
Author 16 books225 followers
July 4, 2013
I'm the author so I'm partial to the characters in this little novella of mine. Every single one of them has a place in my heart no matter how imperfect they are. It's real, it's raw, and I hope you enjoy it! -CC
Profile Image for Jenna.
1,604 reviews16 followers
May 29, 2014
3.5 stars when you have to do a stupid report for school about the words Love and Hate it should be easy right? Well not for Jade her live just turned into Sh#t.
Now her first Love comes back into her life and her house what to do?
Love him? Hate him?
The writing was gritty and raw I loved it.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 30 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.