Start by marking “A Hot Glue Gun Mess: Funny Stories, Pretty DIY Projects” as Want to Read:
A Hot Glue Gun Mess: Funny Stories, Pretty DIY Projects

A Hot Glue Gun Mess: Funny Stories, Pretty DIY Projects

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  327 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
In this beautiful paperback edition featuring French flaps, hugely popular lifestyle blogger, YouTube star, and designer Mr. Kate (Kate Albrecht) offers a stunning collection of step-by-step personal style and home projects—woven in with quirkily hilarious stories and anecdotes.

Do you dream of finding ways to infuse do-it-yourself projects into every aspect of your life an
Published June 16th 2015 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about A Hot Glue Gun Mess, please sign up.

Bunny
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: edelweiss, read-in-15
This is a very fun set up for a memoir. Each chapter tells a relatively short, well explained story, and then follows it up with a not-always-related crafts project. The crafts projects are fairly easy, and occasionally hilarious. I do kind of want to get plastic geckos and glue them onto the backs of a pair of high heels.

Kate is funny. Her stories have flavor, and sass. She sometimes gets too crass, which for anyone who knows me, you know it takes a lot for me to say anything is too much. But s
Sam Stiger
Jan 06, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-again
I don't usually give negative reviews. Who am I to judge? However…um…this book is a mess. It really takes a lot for me to to say, 'I really can't handle this book,' and put it down. I think the main problem is that on the surface, it looks like a DIY book. That's some misinformation. I think if the book were called, "My messy life: humping, sex, and coming of age," then maybe I wouldn't have been so shocked. I know that there is a little disclaimer in the front warning us that there is some 'sex ...more
Inge
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult, crafty
Some of the projects are cute, but they don't have detailed enough instructions or pictures.

Some of her anecdotes are amusing, but mostly she's a skinny, rich, blonde, white brat which is only funny for so long.

Also, can we not with the white girls in feathered headdresses and the use of the word "tranny"? I know. I KNOW. She's so edgy and I just don't "get" her like y'all do.

Snooze.
Kristy
Aug 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
No, just no.
Susan
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Chapter 29 - Keeping Up with the Kardashians

"There's nothing rich people love more than owning horses. I mean, you can't put an Hermes saddle on a hamster. When I was a preteen, we moved to Hidden Hills, a gated community outside of Los Angeles where every other household had horses in the backyard. Our close neighbors were the Kardashians (who didn't have horses in their yard, but their asses were the size of a small pony's), and in true 'Keeping Up with the Kardashians' form, my parents decide
Heather Finley
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wish I could give this more stars. Easily one of my favorite autobiographies. Hearing her stories of being a rich kid were insanely interesting and just made me in awe of the way the other half lives. But on the other hand, her other stories were so hilarious and relatable. I loved the sex, cat, and body stories. The crafts were fun too!

Absolutely would recommend to anyone wanting a fun book to laugh their way through.
Abigail Woodruff
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Those short stories were fabulous and I can't wait to craft. I hate all these reviews just saying that she was a spoiled rich kid. She obviously lived a high life but she didn't choose it and I think her stories that she got out of her childhood were unique and fun. I am a huge Mr. Kate fan and this book just made me love her even more.
el
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
I wasn't really a fan of this. There weren't detailed enough pictures or instructions for any of the crafts, therefore they were hard to follow or do too much of any extent. This was a funny set up for a memoir like this, but not really funny in a good way. Overall, it was kind of okay, but I mean, I personally would not recommend it.
Barbi Faye (The Book Fae)
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Mr. Kate and DIY Divas!
Recommended to Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) by: Creative Weirdos!
Mr. Kate is a lifestyle blogger, a killer interior designer for the most famous of the YouTube set, and a DIY diva of stellar proportions! She did the interior design on the bedroom and office of my favorite famous YouTuber, Lilly Singh aka 'Superwoman', earlier this year. I was stoked to see; I was going to meet Lilly later, in person, in April! Me, I am such a huge fan of Mr. Kate, my nickname for her is the Queen of Schmall! "SCHMALL" is a word her and hubby, Joey, have made up to fondly poke ...more
Summer
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny
This book happened across my desk and I was in the mood for something funny so I picked it up.

It was hilarious. I would have read it all in one sitting if time allowed, because I never wanted to put it down.

I'm not particularly crafty. Her DIY projects were more of a gimmick than anything else, imho. Crafty people would be disappointed in the pedestrian nature of most of them. Her style is very "O, wow, that looks interesting" not at all, "hey, let me actually try that at home". Except for the
Carol Evans
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: diy
Maybe I’m too old or maybe I’m just not cool enough, but A Hot Glue Gun Mess didn’t really inspire me. There are a couple of cute projects that I may try, like the heels with bows or the mercury glass vase, but I really don’t need a feather crown or pom-pom cushion. The photos are all well-done and the layout is nice. It’s kind of a memoir meets DIY book. The book is full of short stories from Kate’s privileged life, each followed by a craft project that may or may not be related. Most of her st ...more
Alexandra Fox
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just read this book in one afternoon! It's entertaining, clever, funny, irreverent, artistic, real, and fabulous!! I loved reading the stories and appreciate the candor in which Kate invites the reader into her world. Her honesty, humor and love (with all it' frustration, laughter, beauty, and poo in bags) for her family, friends, and husbbbbeeennnn is inspiring.The DIY projects are beautifully displayed as well as unique. I want to try them all!!! And wear them around town and re-do my house! ...more
Michelle Tyler
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I'm so excited to read this book! I've been following Mr. Kate's blog and have been a huge fan of her fun DIY projects and her beautiful jewelry line for a few years. Now, she's written a book! Her blog posts are always cute, funny and full of awesome #OOTD, DIY and beauty ideas so I'm sure her book will be even better. I can never get enough of Mr. Kate so I'm really excited to DEVOUR her book (figuratively speaking) and be inspired to do a few DIY projects she has featured in her book. And I'm ...more
Sasha Kron
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Receiving this book next week & cannot wait to read it!! Mr. Kate is one of my favorite YouTube Personalities that creates amazing works of art & is seriously, the most fun & loving interior designer EVER!! If you are a huge fan of DIY projects & having a fun laugh/read along the way, this book is going to be perfect for you! I'll be sure to update my review once I have the amazing copy in my hands & have read it all the way through!
J.J. Landis
Jul 28, 2015 added it
Shelves: 2015
I don't do DIY but I read this because her husband Joey is my cousin's son and because I love memoirs. She's a riot! There is a lot of name-dropping, which might bother some, but I enjoy such stories - about things I will never experience myself.
Aug 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
It went between really disliking the author, and thinking she was decently funny. There was only one project of the crafty section I would do (and I am an avid crafter).
Kyera
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is not the usual book that I read, but I was intrigued when I heard about it. I've watched Mr. Kate's YouTube channel and she has some cool DIY projects/decorating tips. The structure of the book is not uncommon, as she tells a short story and then breaks it up with photos - except in this book, the photos are a DIY project that you can do.

There are 50 different stories and accompanying projects. While the DIY's are meant to relate to the story that Mr. Kate just finished telling, they're
Dora
Jan 07, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Rude, crude, and glued

I like craft books and that is my only excuse for picking up this book. The “crafts” were not that great and the stories that the author shared had me feeling uncomfortable like when someone over shares. I do not feel that I am the target audience for this book. However, if you are an over privileged, under disciplined name dropper with a penchant for glue guns, knock yourself out.
Danielle Merjano
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book was half short stories and half DIY projects.
I've been watching Mr.Kate's channel on YouTube and I really enjoyed and still do like those videos. This book just gave me an entirely different view of her that I did not like, from her videos you don't realize she grew up absurdly privileged and is very crude. I also felt the DIY projects were lacking, one was literally hot gluing hair barrettes on a jean jacket.... no thanks.
I will still watch her videos though.
Tricia Varosky
May 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
I feel bad giving this book such a low rating because it WAS a fun read. It just isn't the kind of book that holds my attention. The creative parts of the book were great, but the stories didn't always grab my attention.

This book took me a long time to read because the book was kind of all of the place. If you can handle books like that, I recommend it. But this kind of book isn't really my thing.

Even still, I love Mr Kate <3
Lacey Conrad
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
She gives fair warning about the content, so don't be shocked when she actually talks about bathroom humor and the like. I find her hilarious and adorable and I love almost everything she does. It's really more about her life than the DIYs, so if that's what you're reading it for then just go to her youtube channel.
Lana.
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Mr. Kate's bohemian glam style and DIY projects are accessible (lots of glue gun, no sewing) and on point, but her life stories are not to my taste.

Can understand why she has such an internet following: beautiful styling, sex-positive messages, and packed with personality. This book is probably best for those fans.
Yvette
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really like Kate and Joey on their YouTube channel. They are funny, cute and sweet to each other. I kind of got bored reading the book. She comes across as shallow and spoilt (and sometimes just mean), and I don't think that was the intention. Joey has obviously been a good influence. Not that fussed on the diy's either.
Verity
2 stars for the suggested projects (which consist of glue gun chic that isn't really my cup of tea)
and
4 stars for the ridiculously outrageous and devilishly funny memoir (if you can get over the privileged poor little rich Valley shtick).
Tina
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
There is some fun and funny stuff inside this sticky mess!
Definitely in a class of its own with insights into a childhood many of us could barely imagine.
Quirky, cute, care free and out there with plenty of attitude.
Lauren Cheung
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
This book really isn't suitable for kids, with some mature content, but I like the DIYs that come in between the stories. Mr. Kate is the best. Go subscribe to her channel.
Carly
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I didn't read all the stories, but the few I read were fun. Some of the DIYs are original, some aren't.
Alison
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it
It’s not meant to be a literary masterpiece, but it’s relatively entertaining. If you like their YouTube channel, you’ll like the book. Quick, light read.
Sarah Wolfe
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it
More raunchy than I expected. Otherwise cute.
Rosie
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of Kate and her glorious interior design style. Reading this was a lighthearted adventure in Hollywood.
  • Reset Your Child's Brain: A Four-Week Plan to End Meltdowns, Raise Grades, and Boost Social Skills by Reversing the Effects of Electronic Screen-Time
  • Luck Be a Lady (West Investigations, #2)
  • Bewitched: In Too Deep\Married to the Boss
  • Willow
  • Freeing Your Child from Anxiety
  • The Border Vixen (The Border Chronicles, #5)
  • Brian Froud's Faeries' Tales
  • Front Roe: How to Be the Leading Lady in Your Own Life
  • Jolly Tall
  • Mr. Zinger's Hat
  • Quest for the Sun (Karazan Quartet, #4)
  • Ninja Attack!: True Tales of Assassins, Samurai, and Outlaws
  • Marisol and Other Plays
  • Creative Painting and Beyond: Inspiring tips, techniques, and ideas for creating whimsical art in acrylic, watercolor, gold leaf, and more
  • Like My Father Always Said...: Gruff Advice, Sweet Wisdom, and Half-Baked Instructions on How to Fix Your Stuff and Your Life
  • Sh*t Girls Say

• Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Sex Object
    $9.74 $2.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
    $13.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $3.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Pukka: The Pup After Merle
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For?
    $9.99 $2.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
  • Lost in the Cosmos: The Last Self-Help Book
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Moving Beyond Words: Essays on Age, Rage, Sex, Power, Money, Muscles: Breaking the Boundaries of Gender
  • Six Degrees: Our Future on a Hotter Planet