Start by marking “Known to Social Services” as Want to Read:
Known to Social Services

Known to Social Services

Winner of the non-fiction section of the 2015 London Book Festival AND awarded an Honorable Mention in the non-fiction section of the 2016 Paris Book Festival.

Written from life experience and ringing with authenticity, Known to Social Services follows Diane Foster, a dedicated social worker, into the grim, grey world of the Deacon Hill estate in Millbrook and the tormented
Published 2015 by FARAXA Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Known to Social Services, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Known to Social Services

Start your review of Known to Social Services
Dawn Whidden
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Freya Barrington has written a dark and gritty novel that captivated me from page one. This story delves into the life of a young social worker whose love and compassion for her young clients literally brings her to the point of self destruction.
Before I picked up the book I read the author's biography and realized that she wasn't just making up case studies to create her novel, but actually has lived them, making the reader that much invested in her book.
These horrific things actually happen,
Jack Parker
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I have literally just finished this book. It was bought for me by my Mum for Christmas and I quite literally couldn't put it down! I'm a 23 year old aspiring Social Worker, currently working in the Social Care sector and can't praise Freya Barrington enough for provoking such emotion from me. The characters in this book come to life, and some leave you wishing you could get them out of your head, because they possess such evil qualities. But what keeps you reading is Freya's description of ...more
Erica
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I was completely hooked as I read this book. I can't imagine how hard the job of a social worker must be. As a soon to be mom, it was hard to read about how some people could treat their own children and there were many tearful moments for me. I think Freya did an amazing job of letting us into the devastating world of child protection, and as much as I cried, I'm looking forward to the sequel.
Louise Heaps
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was one of the best I've read in a long time. Extremely well written and I'm so looking forward to reading the next one. Anyone who is a social worker or works with children should read this book. It's a FANTASTIC read!!!!
Petra Birkett
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping.

Good read, I felt I could have continued ready many more chapters, a shame it wasn't longer. Well written. Thank you!
Katie Byrne
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!! Finished it in a day and a half as I couldn't put it down. So intense, it draws into the world and I left the book actually feeling emotionally drained. Can't wait for second part!
Harriet Wood
Kayley Silvester
Nov 24, 2017
sonia
Oct 17, 2017
Kelly (The Introverted Reader)
rated it did not like it
Feb 14, 2020
chris
Sep 09, 2019
Operation Fund My Cause 1 1 Jul 16, 2017 07:52AM
Books, Blogs, Aut...: freyabarrington.blogspot.com 1 5 May 28, 2015 10:22PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Known to Social Services by Freya Barrington 1 9 Apr 26, 2015 07:49PM

• Twelve Steps of Adult Children Steps Workbook
  • Daily Affirmations Strengthening My Recovery Meditations
  • The Great Explorers
  • A Death in White Bear Lake: The True Chronicle of an All-American Town
  • Spinster and Spice (The Spinster Chronicles Book 3)
  • My Fair Spinster (The Spinster Chronicles, Book 4)
  • The Spinster and I (The Spinster Chronicles, #2)
  • The Merry Lives of Spinsters (The Spinster Chronicles, #1)
  • Bastard Out of Carolina
  • Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History
  • Not a Fine Gentleman (Rogue Hearts, #6)
  • Courting the Countess
  • There are No Children Here: The Story of Two Boys Growing Up in the Other America
  • Deadly Innocence
  • Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World: Finding Intimacy with God in the Busyness of Life
  • Confessions of a Wild Child (Lucky Santangelo, #9)
  • Don't Go Shopping for Hair-Care Products Without Me: Over 4,000 Products Reviewed, Plus the Latest Hair-Care Information
  • Thrill
Freya Barrington is the pen name of a senior child protection social worker in England, who worked for local authorities that required experienced social workers to offer support when there were staff shortages. She holds a Diploma in Social Work from the University of Derby with an award for excellence in practice, and is a registered member in good standing with the Health & Care Professions Cou ...more

News & Interviews