Start by marking “Last Seen Leaving” as Want to Read:
Last Seen Leaving

Last Seen Leaving

Flynn's girlfriend has disappeared. How can he uncover her secrets without revealing his own?

Flynn's girlfriend, January, is missing. The cops are asking questions he can't answer, and her friends are telling stories that don't add up. All eyes are on Flynn—as January's boyfriend, he must know something.

But Flynn has a secret of his own. And as he struggles to uncover the
Published October 4th 2016 by Feiwel & Friends

Caleb Roehrig
Feb 04, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine
I had to add this mostly so that Goodreads would stop telling me I should read it.
Chelsea Humphrey
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I really wish I could somehow rate this book in two parts; I felt the mystery of the story was a 2 star for me, while the coming of age/self discovery aspect was a 4 star and much more enjoyable. While the suspense and intrigue around the disappearance of Flynn's girlfriend January was a bit formulaic and easily solved (possibly due to the sheer amount of mystery books I've read), I found myself lost in the character's becoming self aware and journey to finding out who he really was. Was there a ...more
Sana
Mar 29, 2017 marked it as d-n-f
Shelves: young-adult
DNF @ pg 75

this was actually really good. seriously, it was really good, but like, i really dont have the patience for this story and the fucking drama and yelling thats going on. its freaking triggering me and making me want to punch someone.

this made me so mad that i flipped to the last 5 pages and read everything and spoiled myself r.i.p i hate myself. why do i do this every. single. time with every. single. book. it's a fucking problem omg.

pros:
-this is a thriller about a gay boy strugglin
C.G. Drews
Woah this was super dark and very addictive. The only thing that dragged me away was pizza (c'mon you must eat pizza to live) and that's saying something because I have the attention span of a gnat. I DEFINITELY want to read more by this author though!
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really loved this book! It was such a cool blend between a mystery thriller and a contemporary coming out story. It got my heart pounding so hard at times from suspense! It has mixed reviews, but I would definitely recommend it.
Larry H
May 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Flynn returns home one night to find the police at his house. His mind races as to why they could be there—did they find the small amount of pot he had hidden in his desk? But he is utterly unprepared for what the police detectives tell him, that his girlfriend January is missing. The thing is, Flynn hasn't seen her in almost a week, and the last time he did see her, she broke up with him. And she's been ignoring his texts and calls since then.

January had been unhappy since her mother's new husb
Malia
Apr 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, mystery-suspense
I'll start with the good first. I really liked Flynn and his development. He started out as a fairly typical teenager, and it is only when his girlfriend, January, goes missing that he begins to reveal more about himself and his inner life. For me books can be really memorable when their characters are well done, even if the story falls a little flat, but Flynn was the only character I really connected with, so I don't know how long this story will stick in my mind, unfortunately. Which brings m ...more
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Macmillan Children's Publishing Group and NetGalley.)

“I have this awful feeling that… that we’re never going to see January again. That she’s just… gone.”

This was a YA mystery story, about a boy whose girlfriend went missing.

Flynn was an interesting character, and I felt quite sorry for him the way January went missing and the police wanted to know if he was involved. He should have been more honest
Caitlin
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, great-ya
Full disclosure: I work at Macmillan and therefore spend most of my time talking about books I love, but this book is SO GOOD. This is without a doubt one of the best books I've read in recent memory. Pitched as Gone Girl meets 13 Reasons Why, it absolutely lives up to the comps and I cannot wait until fall 2016 when this book is out and in the world. If you love any kind of Gone Girl, Girl on the Train, etc. thrillers or YA or just well written books, this book is for you. It will super stress ...more
Petra
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, mystery, ya
Last Seen Leaving is a solid young adult story about keeping up appearances and keeping secrets. It's also a heartwarming story about friendship and love.
The first-person narrator is 15-year-old Flynn whose girlfriend, January, goes missing. Under scrutiny because, as her boyfriend, he surely must know more than he admits to the police, Flynn starts to look into January's disappearance himself and discovers that he didn't know his girlfriend as well as he thought. January had recently moved to
Stacee
I love twisty mysteries, so when I saw the synopsis, I was all over it. Added bonus for it being in boy POV.

I liked Flynn well enough. He's a bit too dramatic for my tastes and I struggled with the juxtaposition between his constant use of "dude" and then a word like "metatarsal". There's a group of secondary characters, but I didn't feel like we really got to know any of them.

The plot was interesting. I didn't get it figured out until almost the end and there are an abundance of creepy characte
Dahlia
Man, this was so good. Like, from page one, so good. I loved the mystery, how many possible villains there were, the red herrings, the romance, the coming out, the voice, everything. (And, while I really hate that this is a thing I actually still notice in gay YA because of its rarity - I love the complete and total lack of misogyny. Either you know what I mean, or you don't, but if you do, and you hate its prevalence as much as I do, you'll appreciate how much affection and respect Flynn has fo ...more
Cale Dietrich
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So, LAST SEEN LEAVING was one of my most anticipated reads in recent memory. I loved the premise (a thriller starring a gay boy is like, the ideal combo of things for me), thought the cover was AMAZING, and Caleb is super lovely on Twitter. So yeah, I was really, REALLY hyped to read this book.

And then I started reading it, and holyfuckingshit. This book. To say it lived up to my massively high expectations is an understatement that doesn’t do this phenomenal book justice: this spooky, cute and
Linda Strong
Flynn is 15-years-old. Flynn's girlfriend, January, is missing. The cops are asking Flynn some questions that he can't answer. Flynn has a secret.

Flynn teams with January's former co-worker to discover what happened to her. But he's learning there was much more to January than he knew. Why was she lying to her friends about Flynn? And where is she?

LAST SEEN LEAVING is mostly about friendships and love .... discovering who you are and where you fit in the world. The mystery part is fairly predict
Allison
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5

I waffled a bit between 4 and 5 stars, but I thought if this novel had a fault it was that the mystery half was a bit predictable (if also absolutely lurid- and I admittedly am a sucker for lurid, so). Flynn's story of self-discovery and -awareness was truly wonderful though, and Roehrig's writing is a joy. I knew as soon as I read the first page that I wouldn't want to put this book down.

I'm really looking forward to whatever the author does next.
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars.

First, let me give some credit: this book was really hard to put down. The first half has a fabulous mood. I distrusted everyone, including January. There was no way of knowing who was lying about what January had said. I even questioned the main narrator's motivations!! I suspected every single character in the mystery to some degree.

So for the first half, I was really feeling the potential of the mystery. That aspect, unfortunately, let me down. I really love when my
Dianne
January is gone. A headstrong girl caught between the comfort of her past and the feeling of not belonging in her present life, her story would change with her audience, craving compassion, a chance to be the center of attention or just to feel alive and cared for. Now missing, the clues point to her having been abducted and killed, but there is no body.

Flynn has been January’s boyfriend for several months, but now that her mother has married a powerful politician, she must bow to appearances an
Jill
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbr-i-own
*3.75

Holy Criminal Minds...

I enjoyed this book! When I first started reading it, I was getting serious Gone Girl vibes. Like it felt almost identical. But, as it went on, it started to change to more of a twisted story that I'm pretty sure I've seen on Criminal Minds a few times. So, it wasn't the most original thing in the whole world. Now don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Criminal Minds. I watch it all the time. So I still thought this book was suspenseful and creepy af and enjoyable. I thin
Shelly
This review was originally published on Read.Sleep.Repeat..

I received a copy for review from the publisher, this does not influence my thoughts or this review.

When I heard about this debut novel, I knew I had to read it. I’m not one for creepy thrillers but one that explores identity is totally up my alley. If you are looking for a great thriller, Last Seen Leaving is one you shouldn’t miss.

Flynn’s girlfriend January has gone missing. While investigating what’s happened to her, he also comes to
Angie
SO GOOD, GO PRE-ORDER IT IMMEDIATELY. Actual review to come closer to release date :D
Zyra
Nov 05, 2016 added it
Shelves: dnf
even though its a mystery book, it was boring for me. i just couldn't get in to it. this book is not for me.
Patty
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
** 3.5 / 4 stars **

OPENING LINE

There was a corpse in my neighbour’s front yard.

Let me start of with saying that I haven’t read any of the popular must read suspense/mystery thrillers yet. So while many were pitching this as a YA Gone Girl I really had nothing to compare to as I haven’t read Gone Girl yet.

Last Seen Leaving starts off with such a descriptive paragraph that had me instantly hooked and intrigued. Right away we start off finding out January missing (this isn’t a spoiler, it’s in the
Jen Ryland
LOVED this YA mystery. It's a mystery, a coming of age story, a story of love and friendship.

Flynn is truly perplexed when the police show up at his house one day. The cops tell him that his girlfriend, January, has been missing for nearly a week. (Flynn and January don't see each other as often as they used to, since January's mom married a rich, up-and-coming politician and moved her to a fancy private school.)

Flynn doesn't want to tell the police the whole truth: that the last time he saw Jan
Skye Kilaen
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 0-genre-ya
I didn't realize how bad Caleb Roehrig was going to f--- me up with this YA murder mystery. Dude can *write*, and he does not go easy on the reader. Our main character is Flynn, a high school kid who is normal in every way, nothing to see here... except for one thing, which he's been keeping a secret. Not-a-spoiler alert: he's gay. When his girlfriend January disappears, suddenly all eyes are on him as a possible suspect. Flynn struggles to uncover what happened to a young woman he really cares ...more
Caroline Minic
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything : the narration, the mysteries and the main character.
The story is really well written, the characters are amazing (especially Flynn - whom I fell a little in love with - though nothing could happen between us - who struggle with his sexuality and fighting to know and understand what happened to his girlfriend), the relationships moving.
It is a really good thriller : full of mysteries, unforseen developments and poignant characters.
Daniel
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hell, yes! It seems I now have a top-three YA novels list. The Art of Starving; Will Grayson, Will Grayson; and now Last Seen Leaving.

But before we get to the review part, some housekeeping. This is NOT a romance! No romance here. There's no sex either, gay or otherwise. So for all the m/m readers who can't seem to do anything but complain about any book with a gay character that doesn't fulfill their cookie-cutter m/m checklists, just move along please.

What this book is is a YA mystery, with an
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Grade: D

One Word: overwritten

Flynn's girlfriend January is missing; he's withholding some facts from the police while conducting his own investigation. Apparently January had more secrets than Flynn realized, and he has secrets too.

My immediate criticism starting in page one of LAST SEEN LEAVING is the narration sounded nothing remotely similar to that of a fifteen-year-old telling a story. Filled with SAT vocabulary no teen would utter, Caleb Roehrig's overuse of adjectives, adverbs and metapho
Celeste_pewter
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Review to come. Basically thumbs up all the way, though.

(Seriously. I'm not easy to impress. This impressed me.)
Ariadna
Feb 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Actual rating is 1.6

This was a BR with the fabulous Gaby. I'm usually up for a good mystery and the premise for this one was eye-catching. Sadly, the book turned out to be kind of a bust.

What I liked

+ Diversity

Two of the characters were POC. Both of them were important to the story for different reasons. So, they spent some considerable time interacting with Flynn, the book's MC.

Also, there were two LGTBQ+ chararacters.

The reason why I liked this was that it would've been easy to just add bits
Dylan
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.

I have to admit, YA thrillers typically aren't for me. I find that they usually focus WAY too much on the romance instead of the actual mystery, but I so incredibly enjoyed this!

It's a perfect mixture of mystery and romance - I don't think I rolled my eyes once (which is pretty rare), and it was nice to see a M/M couple that wasn't entirely white as the love interest is Muslim, which is great to see since there wasn't hardly any queer muslim rep in 2016.

This is definitely a YA thrille

• The Chaos of Now
  • Shutter
  • Splinter
  • The Row
  • Girl Last Seen
  • Draw the Line
  • Whatever.: or how junior year became totally f$@ked
  • High and Dry
  • Astray (Gated, #2)
  • Nearly Found (Nearly Gone, #2)
  • The Color of Lies
  • The Killer in Me
  • How to Disappear
  • My Whole Truth
  • The Detour
  • Howtown (Henry Rios Mystery, #3)
  • Jack of Hearts (and Other Parts)
  • Keep This to Yourself
Caleb Roehrig is a writer and television producer originally from Ann Arbor, Michigan. Having also lived in Chicago, Los Angeles, and Helsinki, Finland, he has a chronic case of wanderlust, and can recommend the best sights to see on a shoestring budget in over thirty countries. A former actor, Roehrig has experience on both sides of the camera, with a résumé that includes appearances on film and ...more
“Holy shit, dude. I think you just saved my life!'
'I think you broke my ribs.'
'I can't believe you dove at me like fucking batman. It was kind of badass actually.'
'That's me. The high school badass.”
4 likes