Start by marking “American Mafia: A History of Its Rise to Power (John MacRae Books)” as Want to Read:
American Mafia: A History of Its Rise to Power (John MacRae Books)

American Mafia: A History of Its Rise to Power (John MacRae Books)

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  239 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Publisher:Henry Holt and Company
Published January 6th 2004 by Henry Holt and Co. (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about American Mafia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Mafia

Steven
Sep 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid accounting of the history of organized crime in the US from about 1880 to 1951. It ia interesting how the history of one book varies from the other, but this one provides documentation of its sources.
Veronica
May 25, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is super hard to get into!
Eva
Mar 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Some snippets were interesting, but I really don't need the blow-by-blow of the US Mafia's entire history. Some quotes:

"Across the country, many editorial pages all but congratulated the lynch mob. Even the New York Times editorial observed that while 'this affair is to be deplored, it would be difficult to find any one individual who . . . deplored it very much.'" - p17

On the code of silence and not turning to the police:
"One [detective] related how when a young Italian was shot and killed on a
Conrad Grimm
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thomas Reppetto's book has definitely earned its place amongst the best crime non-fiction books and one of his best books other than “NYPD”, and leaves you wanting to read it again. Organized crime the Italian American kind has long been a source of popular entertainment and legend. Now Reppetto insights readers with a balanced read of the Mafia's rise from the 1880s to the post-WWII era that is as exciting and readable as it is informal. Structuring his narrative around a notable amount of case ...more
Merit Coba
I read the American Maffa: a history, some months ago and although I found the book interesting, the writer isn't very good at presenting the subject in a cohesive manner.
The basic issue is that Reppetto fills his pages with information chronologically. While this might seem a valid approach, the issue is that the broader outlines get buried under needless detailed information.
One of the advantages of looking back is that we are able to connect the dots and draw general conclusions. Reppetto ho
Christopher Lonero
Honestly, I would probably only give this book a 2.5 star rating. As some have commented already, this book is very hard to get into. I found this book difficult to follow with all the names mentioned through the chapters. I don't have much knowledge with the history of the American Mafia, thus the reason for the read. The book is extremely compact in information in which I found myself many times wanting to put it down because of the overabunance of details. However, this book does provide an e ...more
Bookmarks Magazine

There's no one better equipped to tell this story than Reppetto, president of the Citizens Crime Commission of New York City and former Chicago commander of detectives. Dispelling popular myths about the American Mafia perpetuated by the media and entertainment industry, Reppetto casts new light on the history of the mob's evils. Instead of one Mr. Big, there was a highly organized business network. Reppetto's evenhanded analysis of the Mafia's key men and their powerful opponents creates drama

Luci
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There is a lot of information in this book, but I agree with other reviewers. It is hard to follow because the information isn't organized well. I don't blame the author... he really tries to get a lot of information in there. The book has a large scope, and perhaps that is some of the issue. But the info is really interesting. I like how he traced the mob from its beginnings and underlined the idea of an "American" mafia.
Arne-Jan
Boeiend om al het filmgeweld over de Amerikaanse maffia eindelijk tegen de werkelijkheid te kunnen houden. Die vergelijking gaat heel goed op, zo blijkt. Het echte inside verhaal mis ik ik echter in dit boek.
Cat Phelps
Oct 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, I am very interested in how the Mafia came to be and its influence on our country historically and yet today.
Jake Keyes
Just a broad overview of the history of the mob. Nothing too insightful or exciting.
Phil Duckworth
A really good history of the rise and decline of organised crime in the US. Puts the Godfather in context in a way! I'll never change my tyre ever again, I'll get someone else to do it.
S
Oct 08, 2013
Ashley
Jan 19, 2013
Don Livesay
Oct 12, 2016
Cheryl Gill
rated it did not like it
Jan 05, 2016
Jul 02, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • All Around the Town
  • Murder, Inc.: The Story Of The Syndicate
  • The St. Valentine's Day Massacre: The Untold Story of the Gangland Bloodbath That Brought Down Al Capone
  • Mafia Dynasty: The Rise and Fall of the Gambino Crime Family
  • Rothstein: The Life, Times, and Murder of the Criminal Genius Who Fixed the 1919 World Series
  • The Mafia Encyclopedia
  • My Ears Are Bent
  • Five Families: The Rise, Decline, and Resurgence of America's Most Powerful Mafia Empires
  • Cosa Nostra: A History of the Sicilian Mafia
  • The Outfit: The Role of Chicago's Underworld in the Shaping of Modern America
  • The First Family: Terror, Extortion, Revenge, Murder, and the Birth of the American Mafia
  • Mr. Capone
  • Mafia Prince: Inside America's Most Violent Crime Family and the Bloody Fall of La Cosa Nostra
  • The Black Dahlia Files: The Mob, the Mogul, and the Murder That Transfixed Los Angeles
  • King of the Godfathers
  • Capone: The Man and the Era
  • Boss of Bosses: The FBI and Paul Castellano
  • The Historical Atlas of New York City: A Visual Celebration of Nearly 400 Years of New York City's History