Start by marking “Paralyzed Dreams” as Want to Read:
Paralyzed Dreams

Paralyzed Dreams

This is a novella.

She lost everything she’d ever dreamed of.

Fourteen-year-old Pam Wilson's life is going perfectly. She and her best friend, Lauren, are becoming an amazing volleyball duo, and her dreams of playing in the Olympics are coming along wonderfully. Then a car accident paralyzes Pam from the waist down, and her dreams for her life are shattered. No more volleyba
Published February 22nd 2015

To ask other readers questions about Paralyzed Dreams, please sign up.
C.B. Cook This is just on Amazon as an ebook. If you have a library where you can request ebooks, you can try that!

Start your review of Paralyzed Dreams
Sarah Grace Grzy
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 9+
This was quite good! While I can see plenty of room for improvement in the writing, the story was very good. It is short; I read it in about and hour and a half. I think what I loved most was the cover artwork. ;)

My favorite quote: "If only she could go back. If only “if only”s helped. "
Kate Willis
First off, the cover art = squeeee!!! So pretty. <3 Secondly, I’ll admit that since this is a shorter book, I wasn’t expecting much. But God and I have been talking about dreams a lot lately, and this book fit right into what I’m learning. ;) Pam was an interesting character to start with, but I felt like she got more human depth after the accident. (Boy, was she grumpy! It was realistic though, and I still felt sorry for her.)

Her friends were so sweet and amazing too! I kept expecting them to
J.C.
This is a beautifully written book; the author just did an incredible job! Though it is short, that doesn’t mean there wasn’t room for amazing character development—its shortness, actually, I’d say, contributed to the quality of this book. It was so sweet!

There was just the right amount of scenes before Pam’s accident to get to know her and her friends, and just the right amount after to see how she manages. The story itself was so sad and yet so good in the way it was written; there were strong
Jesseca Wheaton
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've been wanting to read this book for a while and I just finally got around to it. Anyway, I absolutely loved it!!! The story is short, but the depth to the characters and story-line was amazing!
Once I started the story, I had to finish it to see how it turned 0ut and, honestly, the epilogue is my favorite part of the entire book. The rest of the story is awesome, but that was where it really made m stop and think.
My only complaint? It's not available in a paperback so I can't add it to my bo
Merenwen Inglorion
DISCLAIMER: I received a free copy of this book from the author. I'm not sure if writing a review was a requirement or not, but here it is. ;)

Things I liked:
I don’t read much contemporary fiction, Christian or otherwise, mainly because of romance and, with Christian contemporary, Bible-slapping. By the latter, I mean long sections where the characters are talking to each other (well, one is talking) and basically giving a sermon.
With this book, that isn’t the case. Pam’s parents, some of her fri
Louisa Black
Apr 20, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a light and enjoyable read about a young girl facing the biggest challenge in not only her life but her Christian walk.

We follow a period of time in the life of Pam. In this short novella the author is very good at putting you, as a reader, into the frame of mind you expect someone in Pam's position to be in terms of what is said and possibly reacts and especially to those around her. I thought she had done a good job within a short amount of words.

It was a sweet and clean read that cou
Faith
My rating: 4.5 stars

I had been wanting to read this book for quite awhile and I was so glad when I finally got to. :)
It was a wonderful story of how God can use seemingly tragic circumstances in our lives to mold us so that we can bring the upmost glory to Him.
It is rather quick, but I've came to expect that with shorter works and novellas. The length didn't affect my appreciation for this story. :)
Elisha Andres
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Again - Such an encouraging book. A must read for anyone who is needing some encouragement or someone who is down in the dumps thinking they cannot do anything. With God, all things are possible - we can bear fruit for His Name :) Great work, C.B.Cook!
Leah
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I liked this book. I wasn't my favorite, but it was a nice little story. There were a couple of things I didn't like though. For one thing, there were a couple of editing issues. The main thing I noticed was that Timothy had green eyes in the beginning, but later it mentions his "light-brown eyes". Maybe I only got two characters confused, but I'm pretty sure his eyes changed colors. :P I also wish the story was longer. I feel like there could've been a little more to the story. Althoug
Kasey Cocoa
Mar 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: motivational
This is a decent first entry into the world of books. Cook's writing is good with evidence of skill that could be polished and improved upon. The story is a good motivational one, easy to read and the perfect length for reluctant readers or those struggling with sudden changes in the path they are on. I would keep an eye out for future publications by this author. I received an e-ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.
Katherine
Mar 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Pam is a young, enthusiastic teenager. She loves life, her friends and her family. Pam and her friend Lauren are in training (volleyball) to go to the Olympics. However, one day, the unthinkable happens. Pam and her mother are in a terrible automobile accident and Pam is paralyzed from the waist down. She is now confined to a wheelchair. Pam's life is shattered, volleyball and the Olympics are no more.

This book is a novella and I liked it.

I felt Pam's anger and frustration as she tried to cope a
Madeline Rose
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was such a cute story! Very uplifting, sweet, and simple. I thought Pam was a great main character, and her mixed emotions felt so real and genuine. I especially loved the last chapter and the epilogue, I thought those were very nicely done. One thing I would have liked was having the twins return at some point. I thought they were going to tie-in to the story after the first chapter, but they never returned after that.
Overall, it was a sweet story, and I would definitely recommend if you'r
Claire Banschbach
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Short and sweet story about a girl who thinks she's lost everything after an accident leaves her paralyzed. Pam's depression is completely natural as she struggles to learn what her "new normal" is. I enjoyed this story and the theme of faith. I loved how Pam's friends and family didn't give up on her and helped her to understand God's plan for her life. I only wish it was a bit longer! I would love to see more of Pam and her story. Highly recommended!
Emma Rose
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Paralyzed Dreams is an awesome, awesome book! I highly recommend it to anyone who a) enjoys well written short stories, b)Is interested in Christian fiction, c) needs encouragement for things big or small, or d) Everyone who enjoys reading.
There are many more words I could use to describe this book, but they would overflow the word limit in this review box.
READ IT!!!
Chloe
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It is a very meaningful, and profound story about a teenage girl whose entire life is shattered when tragedy strikes, leaving her paralyzed from the waist down. While Pam struggles with depression, her parents and friends try to bring her back into the world of the living.
Mikayla
This was a bittersweet short story that had a good message. I never really felt a deep connection with the main character, but I still liked it.
Mar 09, 2015 rated it liked it
I don't generally read contemporary fiction, so this book was a substantial change for me. Overall, I enjoyed it- but I also think it could've been better than it was.

The Good:
-Pam's struggle. Though I've never had to deal with this particular kind of struggle or anything really like it, I could understand what Pam was going through, and why she did what she did.
-Minimal romance. The reason I avoid contemporary fiction is that they tend to be heavily romance-based, whatever else they claim t
Age Appropriate For: 13 and up for thematic elements
Best for Ages: 13 - 25

This is a novella that has been on my reading list for a long time. I have to say it’s one of the best I’ve read. It was powerful and communicated a lot in a short amount of time.

Cook is a gifted writer. While this is an early work, she already does an excellent job of communicating character personalities in a short amount of time as well as their emotions. Really, very few writers could have taken on such a complex iss
❄Elsa Frost❄
I personally feel that, having read this book, the book needed more editing than it got. It's a promising tale, but it felt like I was reading the first draft of the story. And the first draft tends to be the most raw draft.

The dialogue between the adults and the teens felt somewhat... icky? This may be just me, but the dialogue just didn't feel realistic, nor did it have a flow. It kept zigzagging around. It was weird (for me) when Pam's Mom is driving Pam home and suddenly decides, "Hey, let's
Esther
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Paralyzed Dreams was wonderful story of faith through tragedy! It wasn't quite what I was expecting, but it was a good reminder and engaging story nonetheless. I especially loved the ending. :)
Beth
Christian Goodrea...: Paralyzed Dreams, by C. B. Cook 1 7 Apr 20, 2015 01:50PM
Inspirational Books: Paralyzed Dreams 1 2 Apr 20, 2015 01:28PM
Christian Books: Paralyzed Dreams 1 5 Apr 20, 2015 01:27PM
Favorite Scenes 1 6 Mar 25, 2015 10:21AM

• Protecting the Poor (Tales of Faith, #3)
  • The Secret Slipper (Tales of Faith #2)
  • For Felicity: A Short Story
  • Broken Strings
  • In 27 Days (In 27 Days, #1)
  • True Devotion (Uncommon Heroes, #1)
  • Exit Betty
  • A Haven on Orchard Lane
  • Paris for Two
  • Peggy Finds the Theater
  • Peggy Finds the Theater (Illustrated) (Peggy Lane Theater Stories Book 1)
  • The Secret of the Barred Window (Judy Bolton Mysteries, #16)
C.B. Cook is just a girl trying to find out where her King is guiding her, while writing the stories of the people she creates, the worlds she wants to live in, and the adventures she dreams about. Also known as a mysterious creature called an "author". She's a Christian, a college student, and a home school graduate dedicated to changing others' lives through the power of the written word.

News & Interviews

“God always has a plan. This isn't his fault. This is a test, something designed to help you grow closer to God. And. I know, somehow, God will use it.” 24 likes
“God's going to work everything out and use you in ways you can't even imagine.” 22 likes