Start by marking “Red and the Wolf” as Want to Read:
Red and the Wolf

Red and the Wolf

This tale of the dark, twisted truth lurking behind the children's fairy tale will set its fangs in you and not let go. You thought you knew the story of Little Red Riding Hood? Think again. Think hard. Do you really want to know the truth? Some books are better left unopened.

What incident so scarred the psyche of a community that it preserved the memory over generations?
ebook
Published April 6th 2015 by Two Moons Books

To ask other readers questions about Red and the Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red and the Wolf

Michael Gardner
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is not the version of Little Red Riding Hood you should read to young children, unless you want to give them nightmares or PTSD at story time. E.A. Walker conjures up a dark, grim retelling of the classic fairy tale, where all is not as it seems, or as we remember.

The structure and style of this novella reminded me of Wuthering Heights. It’s a tale of two halves, the action takes place in a bleak, atmospheric setting, and there’s a healthy dose of the supernatural. I imagine if this book ha
Ronel van Tonder
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm usually not a big fan of fairy tales, especially since most of the fiction out there in this genre are rehashes of older, more successful stories.

With Red and the Wolf, this is not the case. Every time I was expecting something stereotypical, the author surprised me. For a short story, the author packs a massive punch when it comes to developing her characters and story line. Nothing felt contrived, and there were pieces that I didn't expect that pleasantly surprised me.

If you're a fan of
Bruce
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Red and the Wolf is E.A. Walker's debut writing novella, and I think the author did a fine job of it. The story is carefully constructed and deeply portrayed in most places and with few exceptions, the story line is fairly straightforward. It hinges on a well-known legend--or a spin-off of one, where the characters should feel familiar. This story uses ethnic names, which is different from other stories I've read.

The story has some adult thematic elements, though, so it is not what I would cons
Bruno Goncalves
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As a story, Red and the Wolf is loosely associated with the Little Red Riding Hood fairy tale we all know, and it is a plain reminder that even the stories we grew up with can be rewritten into very interesting adult tales.

I would say the author writes with a very poetic prose, but that might confuse those already familiar with what is known as prose poetry. Instead I should say that she has managed to create powerful imagery through her writing; simply put, the writing quality is a step above w
Zaide Williams
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love prose that has poetry in it, the kind that is rich and evocative and contains not a single over-used word or cliche. When you wrap that kind of language around a unique twist on a fairy tale, it makes for a quality read like this. Red and the Wolf has an old-world backdrop that sets it apart from a lot of other paranormal work in a good way, and at several points I really did forget the genre. It reminds me of elements of books like "The Historian"--snippets of the backdrop here even made ...more
Ariel Mathis
*A complimentary ecopy was provided by the author in exchange for my honest review.*

This is a short story retelling the tale of Little Red Riding hood. However, the author has done a quite a bit of research into the origin and came up with a clever, twisted, and shocking tale. It's a perfect read for Halloween or just whenever you're looking for something scary. I was trying to guess how it would play out and it was NOTHING like I could have imagined. Well done.
Gates Watson
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
WOW!!! This book drew me in from the prologue to the final page. I love retelling old stories and this one was one of the best I have read so far. Loved how the characters were developed. Loved the story's fast pace. And the ending oh my! You can't help but keep reading until the very end and what an ending! The only thing that would have made it better was if it had been longer. I can't wait to read more of this author's work. Fantastic read!
Angel Berry
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was an extremely good story that borrowed certain aspects from the popular fairytale Little Red Riding Hood - for example, the red cape and wolves in the woods. But while there are some similarities, this is definitely a story of its own. I was not expecting things to turn out as they did.

I thought this story was frickin' awesome. Short and sweet. I wish I could give it another star.
Rachel Barnard
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
"…an adult needs to be able to hear the truth, even when it has an unpleasant sound." (Kindle Location 281).

Vöröža wanted Juri from almost the moment she set eyes on him, but her Babushka had other plans. Snežana claims that Vöröža is of noble birth and shouldn't consort with the lowly villagers, especially the woodcutter, but Vöröža doesn't listen. In secret, at least she thinks so, she meets with Juri and they make plans together. All in the town are wary of the two women in the forest, but J
Marise Ghorayeb
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love dark retellings of classic stories so naturally I enjoyed Red and the Wolf. It reminded me a lot of Red’s story in Once Upon a Time, but of course this version of Little Red Riding Hood has its’ own elements.

Pros: It’s a short read with vivid, intricately written descriptions and I was engaged most of the time. I loved that Granny was not so much a sweet, elderly woman but actually a master swordfighter who wasn’t afraid to wound her grand-daughter in training.

Cons: I felt like there was
Lana Axe
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy dark fairytales, and this one was no exception. Even though it's short, I felt like I got plenty of story within these pages. I got to know the characters well enough to know who I liked, and I really enjoyed the grandmother despite her gruff exterior. The ending was fantastic, but I won't be spoiling it.

This isn't the Disney version of Red Riding Hood. Though quite different from the story we all know, it delivers in a way that is reminiscent of the originals as penned by Grimm a
Sheina
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

This darker version of the children's fairy tale is a spine tingling pleasure to read. It is a well written story and the author has skilfully portrayed the world in which this tale unfolds.
A novella which keeps you enthralled and anticipating the unexpected.
Marc Secchia
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fable
A fresh and original take on the Red Riding Hood fable, Red and the Wolf is a richly atmospheric story by a writer truly in command of their craft. Well edited and crafted, strong characters and a fast-moving plot make this a real treat. Watch for for some big surprises along the way as you experience this unique retelling of a familiar fable - recommended reading for a dark, stormy night!
Missy Love
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had no idea what to expect when I started reading this story. The description drew me in, and made me want to know what the 'dark, twisted' truth was. I knew I wouldn't be getting a Disney fairy-tale, and that it would probably be more along the lines of the darker tales by Grimm, and I wasn't disappointed.

Red and the Wolf is beautifully written. The author has a way of weaving her words together that evokes powerful visual images.

It is a dark fairy tale, with mystery and romance. I really enj
Willow Mammoth
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Linda Hamonou
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was a quick read and very interesting.

I liked the development of the story and interaction between the characters. I also liked the use of foreign words, it made the story sound a bit remote and it helped the development of the culture and world building.

One of the best point was that Vöröža is a misfit. In a way that's a bit cliché because a lot of heroines are misfits, but in this book it's done in a way that actually explain what is wrong with her and why people mistrust her, and ar
Janet
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy a different take on a fairy tale. The story of Red and the Wolf has been done many times, but this tale has an interesting twist. Red's Babushka is uppity, secretive and controlling. She and her granddaughter live in a cottage in the woods away from the village. Now that her granddaughter has turned sixteen, Babushka keeps her on a tight leash. Her weak explanations are unable to deter her granddaughter's pursuit of Juri, the woodcutter. In the end, her granddaughter's disobedienc ...more
Ankit Saxena
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, mine, fiction
I liked the book as this let enjoy with my time I pent on it. I wish the content would be more but though it was like short story, I appreciate the work of writer. Voroza and Juri were amazing in their aspect of love relationship. The turning of Grandmother into Wolf expected but killed within the same span without any fight was bit dull.
The story must go on after Voroza's transformation but the mysterious end was good. Walker has done great job. I loved it.

For me, its, 3.5/5.0

*I got this book a
Jennifer Moreland
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Note: I received a copy of this story in exchange for an unbiased review.

I love a good fairy tale retelling, and I thought this one was a nice addition to the genre. I really enjoyed the visions the author painted with her descriptions, and I liked that the deeper, darker historical tones of this (kind of twisted, when you think about it) bedtime story were enriched and enhanced. And, well, her grandmother has been updated to kind of a badass. The lovely language alone is worth a few pages of yo
CaffeinatedFae
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-for-review
I have a love of Fairy Tales so I was really excited to have the opportunity to read this novella. Unfortunately, I wasn't a huge fan of it. I tend to like stories where I am connected to the character. I really didn't feel connected to any of the characters nor did the story hold my attention.

The writing was good, but the twist in the story was extremely predictable and was a little disappointing.

Ultimately, I'm giving this 2 stars. The writing was good but the story missed the mark for me.
S.J. Abbo
Oct 17, 2015 rated it liked it
*I received this book in exchange for an honest review.*

It's little to short. Fairytale go dark. I like writing and beautiful description in the beginning. You can see there is talented writer. Maybe too much rush to finish story so I didn't connect with characters. They seem little flat. I like world and idea and especially originality. It's good but I think it can be much better. I will read the other books off this author if there is any.
S. Daisy
Samantha Burnell
Aug 17, 2017
Chrissy Busick
May 31, 2018
Shut Up & Read: {Read It & Reap 479} Red and the Wolf by E. A. Walker 26 27 Oct 17, 2015 08:07AM
I took a B.A. in journalism from UCL and then worked from 1999 - 2008 in Sydney, Cape Town and back in London.
Since then I have been working part-time and developing my writing skills - I hope.

As a young reader I was inspired by the stories of great writers such as Andre Norton, Anne McCaffrey, Ursula K. LeGuin, C.J. Cherryh and J.K. Rowling. I wanted to create worlds like theirs, and characters a