Start by marking “Fairy Keeper (World of Aluvia, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fairy Keeper (World of Aluvia, #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

Fairy Keeper

(World of Aluvia #1)

Forget cute fairies in pretty dresses. In the world of Aluvia, most fairies are more like irritable, moody insects. Almost everyone in the world of Aluvia views the fairy keeper mark as a gift, but not fourteen-year-old Sierra. She hates being a fairy keeper, but the birthmark is right there on the back of her neck. It shows everyone she was born with the natural ability ...more
Published March 5th 2015 by Curiosity Quills Press

To ask other readers questions about Fairy Keeper, please sign up.
Amy Bearce Hi BookSuchti! Yes, Fairy Keeper is part of a series, though it can also stand alone. The second book, Mer-Charmer, is due out in 2016. The third book…moreHi BookSuchti! Yes, Fairy Keeper is part of a series, though it can also stand alone. The second book, Mer-Charmer, is due out in 2016. The third book is drafted, but still in progress. Check my webpage for more details about Mer-Charmer jf you are interested--a short description is up! Thanks for your question! (less)

Start your review of Fairy Keeper (World of Aluvia, #1)
Ben Alderson
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!
Literally a fantastic read. I loved the fact it is super middle grade!
The idea behind this fantastical world is brilliant. Fairies being the main focus but also the mention of dragons, faun, mermaid/men, and many more fantastical beasts.
I loved the adventure the three characters went on!
PERFECT book to read for a read a thon! :D
This was a YA fantasy story about a girl who kept fairies and harvested nectar from them.

Sierra was a girl who really cared about her sister, and would do anything to keep her safe, especially from their father, which was an admirable trait, even if it was hard to achieve.

The storyline in this was about Sierra trying to find her queen fairy who had gone missing, in an attempt to save her sister from being sent to work at a factory. This was okay, but I found that the story dragged quite a bit,
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
www.melissa413readsalot.blogspot.com

This was a sweet, magical read for the most part. Sierra is a Fairy Keeper and so is her best friend Corbin. They tend to the Queen and the worker fairies. The only exception is Corbin and his family use the fairies elixers to making healing potions. Sierra's big jerk of a dad, uses them to make a drug called Flight. Sierra hates doing this and she doesn't want to be a Fairy Keeper. She wants to have her own choices in her life, but when you have the mark on
Natasha Daly
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a thoroughly enjoyable read! The characters were believable and richly drawn, and Sierra's journey was compelling.
The fantasy world of Aluvia was full of not only beauty and magic, but evil and corruption as well.
Written for primarily the tween and teen audience, I found plenty of deeper layers and thematic issues to engage my mind, and the writing was so very pretty and precise, it was a joy to read.
I highly recommend this book to lovers of fantasy, and those who enjoy coming of age
Judy
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amy Bearces' debut young adult fiction novel, Fairy Keeper, is a work of magic in itself. Sierra Quinn, a young teen who is born into the role of Fairy Keeper, has a responsibility that she resents but must fulfill in order to appease Jack, a twisted alchemist who chooses greed and power over the love of his daughters, Sierra and Phoebe. He uses the nectar she gathers from her fairies' hatch in order to produce Flight, an elixir that leaves its users in a drug-stupor of sublime bliss - and ...more
Lara
When Sierra, reluctant fairy keeper, is catapulted into serious trouble with her dark alchemist father by the deaths of her fairies, she finds herself on a quest to save her little sister Phoebe, her fairy queen, and the entire world--with a little help from her best friend and her worst enemy.

One of my very favorite things about this book is the characters, and how they interact--the tenderness and fierce loyalty and love between Sierra and Phoebe, the mistrust and open hostility between Sierra
Ana // TheBooktarian
Unfortunately I didn't like this book at all.
The beginning was interesting, but it took a long time for the more action-packed chapters to happen and by the end of the book I felt like things were really easy to solve and the characters were only interested in being in love with each other.
Carol
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fairy Keeper is an amazing debut novel from author Amy Bearce. Its a great read for anyone who loves fantastic world-building and beautiful prose, but its absolutely perfect for readers who might have outgrown childrens books but are not quite ready for YA.

Like Earth, Aluvia is a world of limited natural resources. And its biggest natural resource is magic, which is exploited by some of its inhabitants. As a fairy keeper, fourteen-year-old Sierra is part of the magic, whether she wants to be, or
Nicole
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm not going to summarize the plot here, but I will say that I'm an adult who read this both because I love finding gems on the Young Adult shelf and because I like finding books I can recommend and discuss with my kids. There's a lot of great YA fiction out there right now, and _Fairy Keeper_ is no exception.

Amy Bearce balances a lot of different things with this book, and she does it well. It is engaging and interesting for age levels from tweens to adults. There aren't a lot of books that
Rebekah
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely worth the lost sleep, from staying up to read. I really enjoyed how things didn't always go the obvious, expected way. It wasn't just the ending that wasn't predictable... I don't want to spoil anything for folks who just got their copy, but... I've read a fair amount of MG and YA novels, and... a certain relationship didn't go where I thought it would. None of the characters were caricatures or archetypes. Wonderful, strong, bad-ass female characters.
Joyce
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy

What? A fairy keeper?

description

Yeah.

Why do fairies have to be kept?

Dunno.

So theyre tiny like bees?

description

Yeah, and testy like bees. Maybe that is why they have to be kept.

Oh. Is there a queen fairy?

Well now that you mention it, yes. And therein lies the problem, because fairy keeper Sierras fairy queen has disappeared and her fairies are dead.

They probably died defending the queen.

Could be, but Sierras friend (fairy keeper also) Corbins queen fairy is missing too. Corbins family uses fairy nectar to make
Stacy
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fourteen year old Sierra Quinn wants to choose her own path in life, but she is bound to her responsibilities. Bound by love to her younger sister Phoebe and bound to her fairies by the tattoo on the back of her neck that marks her destiny as a fairy keeper. This connection to the fairies also keeps her bound to her heavy-fisted, alchemist father, as she is the only one who can supply him with the fairy nectar necessary for his most potent and lucrative elixir, Flight. When Sierra discovers her ...more
Katy Hill
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I received a free copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

At first I wasn't sure if I would really like this book. There are so many fairy-tale-creature-themed young adult novels that I was worried it would be mediocre. However, I was pleasantly surprised. After the first few chapters, I was definitely caught in the stingers of the fairies. Although, I'm still not sure how much I actually like the main character, Sierra. I find her to be a moody, bratty teenager--but then, weren't
Marjolein
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Sierra isn't happy as a Fairy Keeper though she's destined to be one. When the Fairy Queen she's bonded to disappears and the rest of the fairies die, she must volunteer as a tribute find her queen or her sister is in grave danger!

The world presented in Fairy Keeper was actually quite cute. The fairies are not very nice, nor as mean as the faeries from other stories. Sierra as a fairy keeper has kind of a love-hate relationship with
Elaine Boehme
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful fantasy book for all ages. It is complete with flawed but sympathetic characters, bad guys, and strong familial love.
Daniel
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a proof copy for my kindle from 'Curiosity Quills Press' via 'NetGalley.com' for an honest review.

First off, let me start by saying this is one of the best books I have read in a long time. It only took me four evenings to divulge its entire contents. Just wow. I am so sad that I finished this book, I wanted it to go on forever.

Check out the stunning cover, this is such a beautiful representation of Sierra who is our beloved protagonist throughout the story. It makes me
H.S.J. Williams
Whats this!? A previously unknown clean YA Fantasy series with a really fascinating faerie world and GORGEOUS covers? Im so excited!

This is a world where humanity is misusing and draining magicwhere fairy nectar is used as drugs, where unicorns age in stables, where merfolk are kept in chains.

Our heroine and her little sister fear their father, who is not a typical drunk father in most fantasy novels, but a recognized criminalformer Assassin, now Druglord. To save her little sister, our heroine
Jen
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Initial warning about this book. The characters are so well written, that the fear the main character feels about her father is palpable. It could be a trigger for someone who had a bad childhood with a father-figure. The father Jack was introduced first just from the thoughts of his daughter, the MC Sierra and that was enough for me. I didn't want to meet him at all. When he made an actual appearance, he was as bad as Sierra thought and then some. Very well written.

The characters were all alive
Anne Monteith
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Samantha
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent middle grade read! Bearce's prose is beautiful and I absolutely loved the themes in the book. Not only is it a wonderful fairy story, it's a great book for discussion because of the just-below-the-surface environmental themes. I highly recommend!
Orlanda Machado
Original Blog Review: https://myescapebookscoffeetea.wordpr...

My MAIN Bookstagram: http://instagram.com/blog.myescape

My SECOND Bookstagram: http://instagram.com/booksofsalem

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/BlogMyEscape

Buy this book on The Book Depository: http://www.bookdepository.com/Fairy-K...

”review”/

Actual Rating: 2.5 Stars

* The publisher of this book sent me this paperback copy in exchange for an honest review, so dont expect less than that, I will always give my honest opinion, like it or not *

I
Adele
I received a copy of this book through netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Even though this review is more of a How I Feel.

This story. Wow. Lets see if I can articulate how I feel about this book into words.
Fairy Keeper is a new look onto the fairy stories that I grew up with, and its very refreshing & exciting yet an imaginative and seriously breathtaking story. Some of the scenes in this book, the descriptionsman. I love them.
I have a feeling though that this is the type of book
Bri
I don't know about you, but reading that synopsis made me super intrigued about the book. Lost queens, irritable fairies... that makes a pretty good book when written right, so I decided to request this book.

A week later, I got an email that said I had permission to view this book. I was really happy and I moved this book to the front of my to-read list. I'm very glad I did.

I really enjoyed this book. There were very good relationships between the characters, and while some of them were
Jerecho
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Fairykeeper is a good read.

Think of a queen bee in a beehive, and the story is about that. Fairies produces nectar to use in drugs-like Flight, with the same feelings, I guess - hallucinations, a good feel, the feeling of high, etc.

The story a descriptive novel, it describes a lot, the feelings, the quake, the lights, hallucinations, etc., which made a feeling that you don't want to think, or pull the string to go to the end. Anyway, reading this one made me realized that things you are born
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Young Adult, Fantasy
*Rating* 3.0

*My Thoughts*

Fairy Keeper is the first installment in Amy Bearce's World of Aluvia. Meet 14-year old protagonist Sierra Quinn. Sierra is a rare breed. She was fated to be born as a Fairy Keeper, and has the tattoo on the back of her neck to prove it. She has the ability to communicate with the pesky, irritating Fairies that produce a nectar that is used for such things as healing, and not so incredibly, a drug called Flight which is her
Jonathan
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book gave me goosebumps! I loved the ending. It had some great surprises and twists. Unique take on fairies and magical creatures. Great character development throughout!
Mary Yarde
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is only when you lose someone that you realise just how much they meant to you in the first place.

No one asked Sierra if she wanted to be a Fairy Keeper, but nevertheless, that is what she is. She doesn't even like fairies all that much; they are vile things which bite and scratch and in worse cases sting. But they have their uses, for their nectar is powerful indeed, it is used for healing. However, that is not all that the nectar is used for, for there are those who harness the power of
FictionForesight
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dan-s
Review Originally Posted At: FictionForesight

In accordance with current FTC Guidelines, please let it be known this book was received through NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Review:

I have read many fantasy books throughout my life involving magicians, dragons, and knights, but this is the first book I have ever read that focused mostly on fairies; and it was far from a disappointment.

Fairy Keeper is a great fantasy adventure about a girl named Sierra who lives in a typical
Samantha
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Verdict: Young girls will love this one!

If you love magical folk, youll love this book. Fairies, merefolk, unicorns... Bearce has created a beautiful world with a beautiful name: Aluvia. I absolutely love how the fairies are like pesky bees, producing nectar that can be turned into a drug. Its brilliant set up which I tip my writing hat to.

The idea that really sold the book to me was Flight: the illegal hallucinogenic that can be produced from fairy nectar. It makes a few appearances
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Devoted
  • Queen of Seas (Dragons Rising #3)
  • Band Of Breakers
  • Fate of Dragons (Dragons Rising, #1)
  • Red Riding Hood
  • Flood (The Reset #1)
  • Geostorm The Pioneers: A Post Apocalyptic EMP Survival Thriller (The Geostorm Series Book 6)
  • Cycle of Fire (The Cloud Warrior Saga, #11)
  • Light of Fire (The Cloud Warrior Saga #10)
  • Broken of Fire (The Cloud Warrior Saga, #9)
  • Conceal, Don't Feel
  • Born of Fire (The Cloud Warrior Saga, #8)
  • The Omega Strain (Mitch Herron #1)
  • Servant of Fire (The Cloud Warrior Saga, #7)
  • Princess Evangeline and the Dragon's Den (The Van Chronicles)
  • Princess Evangeline and the Fiery Fiasco (The Van Chronicles)
  • Prince Zander and the Resolute Robot (The Zan Chronicles Book 1)
  • Blood Heart (Immortal Curse, #3)
Amy writes magical escapes for young readers and the young at heart. She is the author of the World of Aluvia series, SHORTCUTS, and PARIS ON REPEAT (Jolly Fish Press, July 2020.) She is also a former reading teacher and school librarian.

As an Army kid, she moved eight times before she was eighteen, so she feels especially fortunate to be married to her high school sweetheart. Together theyre

World of Aluvia (3 books)
  • Mer-Charmer (World of Aluvia, #2)
  • Dragon Redeemer (World of Aluvia, #3)

News & Interviews

“Why the fairies stayed with her, she didn't know, since they seemed to hate being stuck with her as much as she hated being stuck with them.” 1 likes
“this was clearly a child merman, often called a seawee.” 0 likes