Start by marking “Escape Everything!: Escape from work. Escape from consumerism. Escape from despair.” as Want to Read:

We are all trapped by modern life. Trapped! Trapped by work, consumerism, stress, debt, isolationism and general unhappiness.

We will each spend an average of 87,000 hours at work before we die. We will spend another 5,000 hours getting to and from work and countless more preparing for work. Worrying about work. Recovering from work.

The majority of us hate our jobs. But
Published January 28th 2016 by Unbound (first published November 12th 2015)

Start your review of Escape Everything!: Escape from work. Escape from consumerism. Escape from despair.
Simon P
Mar 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
Lazy, solipsistic polemic on 9-5 office jobs. Offers nothing useful, poor long-term financial planning and some awful smug contributions from random people who don't have dull jobs but like dog walking, tea drinking etc. WHO CARES?
Steve O'Donnell
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An inspiring treatise on how to escape from "the Trap". Most people are stuck in the Trap, and past and current UK governments have made it very difficult to escape because you are left mired in debt. There are no easy solutions but the author makes out an excellent case for getting your life back and escaping from wage slavery. Excellent read particularly for young people who haven't got themselves inextricably caught in the Trap. Luckily I have now escaped, but I wish I'd read this book 30 ...more
Timothy Stobbs
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Funny, informative and useful. Really how can you not like this book? A guide to escape regardless of if you are still chained to your job or heading toward the door already.

Perhaps the only little thing that drove me a bit nuts was the lack of references on some facts. Sometimes he would provide references to some things (which has given me new reading material) and other times there was nothing.
Tatjana
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: given-up
Der Anfang war super, ein schöner Scheinwerfer auf die Konstruktion unserer Gesellschaft und der Absurdität von Büroarbeit.
Wurde dann leider zum Ende hin etwas seltsam und bekam ein polemisches, religiöses bis sektenartiges Geschmäckle. Das war dann auch der Moment als ich es zur Seite legte.
Isaac
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This isn't a bad book, objectively speaking. It goes over a lot of interesting concepts related to minimalism, early retirement, and happiness. Many of these topics are familiar to those in the Financial Independence community, but this bundled them together neatly.

That being said, it took me over 14 months to read this book. I have no idea why, but reading each page took a ridiculous amount of effort and concentration. I don't know if it was the writing style, the topic, the typeface, or what,
Peter
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sachbücher
Dieses Buch ist nichts für mich. Weder die (geringen) philosophischen Anteile noch der (un)praktische Teil der praktischen Tipps scheint mir verwertbar. Im-kreisdrehendes-Geschwafel, Wiederholungen ohne Ende. Mehr Rechtfertigung eines wohl selbst gefühlten Drückebergerlebens. Jedenfalls werde ich dieses Buch in die Freiheit entlassen und der freien Wildbahn übergeben. In unserem Ort gibt es Büchertelefonhäuschen. Vielleicht hat ein angehender Freigeist mehr Vergnügen mit diesem Buch.
Franziska
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let’s embrace the bohemian lifestyle.
Nick Klagge
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of "The New Escapologist", the quirky journal edited by Robert Wringham, so I had to check out his book when it came out this year. I put in a request for my local library to acquire it, but so far they haven't come through, so I went ahead and got the Kindle version (using, in part, the class-action e-book pricing settlement credit I got from Amazon--woohoo!).

The book is largely a distillation of stuff he's written in TNE magazine--so nothing too new, but also, pretty enjoyable
S Cearley
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In one way, it is a collection of essays in a how-to feel not unlike Tom Hodgkinson's How to be Idle / How to be Free books. But it also feels different. Hodgkinson's works come from a place of casting off. Giving up the fancy life to a simpler, freer life you enjoy more. Here, Wringham describes a life lived free from the jump. The realization that you are already living the happier life than you would have were you stuck doing something eight to ten hours a day that you didn't want to do for ...more
C.K. Moises
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Das Buch hat einiges in meinem Denken in Gang gesetzt. Doch aber den Wegen aus dem Konsum hat es mcih ein wenig verloren, denn dieser extreme Minimalimus der hier vorgeschlagen wird ist nichts für mich. Ich habe mir auch die genannten Webseiten ein wenig angesehen. (Manche sind kaum mehr aktiv.) Ich wünsche allen die so leben wollen viel Erfolg, doch für mich ist es eher weniger etwas.
Nichts destotrotz fand ich besonders das Kapitel über Wege aus der Arbeit sehr interessante und einige davon
Joe
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you're familiar with FIRE/ERE/etc., there isn't much new here. A lot of overlap between this book, Early Retirement Extreme, and The Freedom Manifesto. This is probably the easiest read and most enjoyable of the three.

If you aren't familiar with these books, and a mainstream consumer life seems like the default path, and you haven't considered much else, you should read it, it'll open up new worlds for you.
Karen
Encouraging and fun. This is anarchy and revolution in a non-threatening and very appealing way. As a Tertiary Franciscan this is a very helpful book as it sets out in a practical way the journey/routes to a simpler, more joyful life. However as someone with a faith basis this book struck me as a slightly selfish manifesto and I would prefer a focus which took the needs of others into account. All in all though I would definitely pick this up to read again at some point.
James Traxler
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love his style of writing - very witty and amusing.
Will I escape from the drudgery of work myself? Who knows? I don't find it too drudgeful at present :)
Either way, this book does argue for less consumerism and to wake up (or sleep in!), slow down and smell the roses. Which can't be bad.
Anastasia
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Sehr echt und sehr persönlich
Jake
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Escape Everything! is a delightful rebuttal of the average consumer lifestyle in Western society. Wringham gives examples of alternative methods of work and leisure, and does so in witty, not-too-serious style.

It is part memoir, part case study, and part philosophical essay where the concepts of work, debt, and over-consumption are described as "traps" which can be escaped in the method of stage magicians like Houdini.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book for its ability to cover so many topics while
Aaron
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Clear guide to The Good Life. In terms of no nonsense (ok, there is a little nonsense) advice on life and goals, Escape Everything is on par with The War of Art. My only gripe is the amount of time spent on the "why" of escapology vs the "how". I would guess most of us are already converted by the time we pick up the book, but are not yet escapees.
Alan Fricker
Jan 27, 2017 rated it liked it
A little disappointed as was expecting a bit more new stuff. If you have followed New Escapologist and have a reasonable acquaintance with Idler then there is a lot of familiar material here. Does point people to early retirement extreme which I enjoyed a lot.
Role
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Sachbuch.
Unterhaltsame Erklärung einer nicht Standartmässigen Lebensweise, mit Tipps und Ratschlägen wie man ein solches Leben realisieren könnte.
Einige gute Passagen mit interessanten Ideen, im grossen und ganzen aber nichts neues.
Andrei J. Smith

• Bullshit Jobs: A Theory
  • The Top Five Regrets of the Dying: A Life Transformed by the Dearly Departing
  • Super und dir?
  • Tod in Turin
  • Wir sind das Klima!: Wie wir unseren Planeten schon beim Frühstück retten können
  • Gegen die Welt
  • Early Retirement Extreme: A Philosophical and Practical Guide to Financial Independence
  • Why Ignoring Your Children Will Make Everyone Happier: Or, What to Neglect When You're Neglecting (Everything Bad is Good for You)
  • ManFood: The no-nonsense guide to improving your health and energy in your 40s and beyond
  • It Doesn't Have to Be Crazy at Work
  • Back in No Time: The Brion Gysin Reader
  • From the Mouth of the Whale
  • Enough: Breaking Free from the World of More
  • The Success and Failure of Picasso
“Reading is important. It’s not primarily escapism (though it can be, and there’s nothing wrong with some of that in good measure) and it’s not primarily a way of passing the time. Reading is important to the good life because it stokes the furnaces of our intellect, allows us to expand our understanding of the universe, both inner and outer, for practical gain and simple pleasure. It can induce awe, inspire respect, excite, piss off, and intrigue. These are things that make life worth living.” 3 likes
“If we were all minimalists instead of conspicuous consumers, there would be less demand on the world’s resources and we’d have a smaller, less berserk economy. We’d be less likely to harm the only planet we’ll ever have, and the super-rich would have fewer ways to exploit us.” 3 likes