Start by marking “Agatha Raisin and the Case of the Curious Curate (Agatha Raisin, #13)” as Want to Read:
Agatha Raisin and the Case of the Curious Curate (Agatha Raisin, #13)

Agatha Raisin and the Case of the Curious Curate

(Agatha Raisin #13)

Agatha Raisin is feeling miserable - and with good reason. Her ex-husband James has abandoned her, and she's been humiliated by an unseemly proposition from John Armitage, her handsome neighbor.

So complete is her devastation that Agatha has given up on make-up, and has taken to wearing the loose cotton dresses and flat sensible shoes she has always abhorred. But there is
Audiobook, Unabridged
Published June 5th 2014 by AudioGo (first published March 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Agatha Raisin and the Case of the Curious Curate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agatha Raisin and the Case of the Curious Curate

Start your review of Agatha Raisin and the Case of the Curious Curate (Agatha Raisin, #13)
Adrian
Hmm, difficult to rate as I enjoyed it, it kept me entertained as I tidied my garage, but it is not a classic by any means. So i'm thinking 3 (probably ) rather 4 ⭐️. I will think overnight and finalise review tomorrow.

I have seen a few of the Agatha Raisin programmes on TV starring Ashley Jensen, and they have been entertaining enough, so when I saw this audiobook relatively cheap I thought I'd give it a listen. And it was surprisingly fun, a good story and well read by Penelope Keith.
Ok so it
Anastasia
Agatha Raisin and the Case of the Curious Curate by M.C.Beaton is the 13th book in the Agatha Raisin Mystery series. After Agatha Raisin has dinner with the new curate, he is found stabbed to death at the vicarage with the vicars dagger letter opener. An entertaining and fun quick book. Although Agatha is quite bossy and nosy and meddling, she has a kind heart and is always willing to help her friends. I like that she has moved on from her disasterous marriage to James. Plenty of bodies and lots ...more
Nancy
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For me, the actual murder in the Agatha Raisin books is secondary to the ongoing of the characters involved. With each book you pick up, Agatha finds herself embroiled in another domestic situation, with it being either her missing almost ex-husband James, the new neighbor – which is always an attractive man, Bill Wong – her favorite policeman, or my favorite Mrs. Bloxby. A perfect counterbalance to Agatha, who always keeps things in perspective and possesses the perfect words of wisdom that Aga ...more
Tasneem
I love Agatha Raisin. She is so funny and she goes through men at such a rate. The curate turns out to be such a dreadful man and the murder was not unexpected. Just found the killer a bit of a surprise. I loved the interaction with Bill Wong though and it was funny to see her destroy the relationship with John Armitage.

I just enjoyed the descriptions of village life, of the Morris dancing turning into a brawl, of the duck races, of the organisations of village affairs. The books are delightful,
Yvonne
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agatha Raisin is terribly bored these days. Her husband has deserted her and her dear friend Charles is living his own life. Her neighbor John insulted her and she’s absolutely through with men. She’s not the least bit interested when the vicar’s wife tells her about the new curate, Tristan Delon. The women of Carsely are all falling head over heels for the handsome guy, but Agatha couldn’t care less. Or could she?

When Tristan invites her to dinner, Agatha is thrilled. At the same time, she real
Cyndi
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books so far! Books without James are great. The new neighbor is actually interested in her, but she rebuffs him. Looks like she's taking some time to get to know herself. Good for you, Aggie!
Sharon Barrow Wilfong
You can read the professional blurb to find out the gist. I want to talk about why I enjoyed the story.

First of all, as in all of the Agatha Raisin stories, Raisin is such a strong individual character. She's pushy, rude, yet beneath it all, vulnerable. She's in her fifties, single and addicted to falling in love. Her emotional maturity hasn't seem to developed beyond Middle School crushes. Whenever she actually gets involved with a man, he transforms from man of mystery and shining knight to a
Gerry
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately for the curious curate, he doesn't last long. He makes a quick impression on Agatha, who was determined not to be falling in love again, but with his golden hair and blue eyes he knocks her off her feet. He wines and dines her and then (by page 24) he is dead and Agatha is once more on the list of suspects for the dirty deed.

However, her friend Sergeant Bill Wong is soon assured that she had nothing whatsoever to do with his death and he begins his investigation with his boss Super
The Flooze
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agatha Raisin: curious, self-conscious, bossy, formidable, always on the lookout for love, and more than willing to do her bit for the people she's taken a liking to.

This time, her desire to help Mrs. Bloxby's husband clear his name leads her down a very dangerous path, indeed. Murders are happening right and left in Carsley. But no matter how many times our Agatha gets frightened or weary, she always rallies. Her pride won't let her give up.

It's funny how I feel I've learned more about Agatha
AngryGreyCat
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Getting ready for Season 2 of Agatha Raisin on AcornTV, I am filling in some gaps that I have in the series. I originally read many of these out-of-order which I regret, as Agatha’s personal life is a continuing storyline from one book to the next. Agatha Raisin and the Case of the Curious Curate picks up with Agatha in a rather low place due to the end of her marriage with James. She has a new neighbor, who enthusiastically joins in as Agatha’s sleuthing partner when the new curate is murdered ...more
Berit☀️✨
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really all the women of this village should stay away from any man who moves in, he is generally bad news....
Lots of killing in this one, three murders in total..... all starting with the very attractive new Clarit.... this time Agatha with the help of a neighbor John a mystery writer begins to solve the mystery.... there was a super funny scene in this book at the duck races where the dancers had too much to drink and started a brawl with their sticks, laugh out loud moment!
Rosemary
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 13th book in the series is typical Agatha Raisin fare. There is murder, mischief, attempts and fails at love, friendship and poor decisions by Agatha. She is a lovable bumbling character. I am glad there are so many books in this series.
Damaskcat
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A new curate has taken up residence in the village of Carsley and his handsome good looks have set the village ladies a flutter. The church has never been so full and the vicar is starting to get quite jealous of the curate's ability to fill the pews. However it soon becomes clear that the curate is cultivating the richer parishioners. When he is found dead shortly after eating a meal with village sleuth, Agatha Raisin, both she and the vicar himself become prime suspects.

Agatha is determined to
Sarah Booth
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aggie isn’t enjoying Richards company on this case at all. He’s trying to take over her investigations and she’s not at all impressed with his taking liberties like that or any of the other ones he seems to take for that matter.
The beautiful curate had been taking all kind of liberties with the locals and back at his old vicarage as well and that ended his life. Agatha gets herself mixed up with him briefly and then his past caught up with him leaving the Bloxlys in a rather unfavorable light.
Gail
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every Agatha Raisin book is a joy to read. She's such a bright and clever character that one never knows what she'll do next. In this book she investigates the murder of a handsome curate who romanced wealthy ladies in order to convince them to invest in his questionable schemes for improving the lot of the poor and unfortunate. Agatha's new next door neighbour enjoys helping her search for solutions but doesn't qualify as husband material, despite his good looks.
Linda Smatzny
In this story, a new very handsome curate has come to Carsely to help Mr. Bloxby. When the curate is murdered Mr. Bloxby is the main suspect. Agatha along with her neighbor, John, start asking questions and getting into trouble. Before the case is wrapped up two more people are murdered and Agatha decides to fund a hall for the old people of the area. The book was an easy read.
Tressa
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, murder
Really enjoyed this one after two or three only so-so Agatha Raisin books. The curate is a passive/aggressive "mean girl" dude who is interested in rich women. Pretty funny in some parts. I love love love Mrs. Bloxby as I enjoy watching her try to find the good in everyone, even devious arseholes.
Rhonda
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-books-read
OjoAusana
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
Not really my favourite of this series but well small towns are small towns 😑 but these books are still a funny quick read lol
Marta
May 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5 stars
Gina
3.5 stars. Great plot twists, decent characters, but not quite the same quirkiness as previous stories. I do like that she's doing a little better without a particular man, but the mystery itself seemed to go on a little too long and dragged a bit in the middle, hence the downgrade.
Michelle Boston
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant, laugh out loud in places, the suit of armour was comedy in a moment of Agatha madness and demonstrated the writing talent of Beaton.
Curlyhair
Quite a decent little cozy mystery with Agatha and friends. I enjoyed the Murder story at the centre. However, her neighbour and ‘partner in crime ‘, I’m not so sure about. I kind of feel like - bring back James, ha ha.
Michelle
Dec 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
(3.5 stars) The 13th book in the Agatha Raisin series has Agatha back in the Carsley. She is still somewhat depressed over James, but her friend Mrs. Bloxby hopes she will cheer up by meeting the new curate, who has all the village ladies fluttering, much to her husband, the vicar’s, dismay. Agatha is charmed by Tristan, and he invites her for a private dinner, using his charm to try to get into her bank account. When she puts him off as a financial advisor, he ends the dinner early and mocks he ...more
Donna
This is the first ever BBC Radio dramatization I've listened to and I really enjoyed it. Laughed out loud in parts and I was listening on earphones at work. I'm a big fan of Penelope Keith, who portrayed Agatha, so that probably had a bit to do with my enjoyment but I will look for more downloads in this series. Makes tedious tasks much more fun.
Emily Cullen
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A most beautiful man becomes a curate for the church and ends up dead. The vicar is a suspect and the vicar's wife asks Agatha Raisin to once again investigate. This book was really fun with the irascible, sometimes lovable Mrs. Raisin and her handsome neighbor playing detective. The Agatha Raisin mystery series by M.C. Beaton is always good but this one was excellent!
Zee*Libraries:TheFreeGymforYourBrain*
I keep listening to these audiobooks because they’re relatively clean and somewhat entertaining. As the series progresses, however, the charm is lessening. In this story, it’s hard to remember at times that someone was murdered. It’s more about Agatha’s diet, wardrobe, and social life, and how other things affect them.

I may be finished with these.
Carmmal
Jan 27, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found Agatha Raisin to be a terrible bore. I also thought the whole "twist" at the end was lacking.

It seamed to the author could have cut the book in half and still had the same amount of personality and story.
Theresa
Im enjoying reading these agatha raisin books enjoyed the storyline i couldn't guess this one either these are easy to read books :)
Cyndi
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A BBC audio broadcast. Very entertaining with Agatha up to her snappy self and James still a condescending tool.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Snobbery With Violence (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #1)
  • Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • Our Lady of Pain (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #4)
  • Sick of Shadows (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #3)
  • Sir Philip's Folly  (Poor Relation, #4)
  • Lady Fortescue Steps Out (Poor Relation, #1)
  • Miss Tonks Turns to Crime (Poor Relation, #2)
  • Mrs. Budley Falls from Grace (Poor Relation, #3)
  • Back in Society (Poor Relation, #6)
  • Colonel Sandhurst to the Rescue  (Poor Relation, #5)
  • Minerva (The Six Sisters, #1)
  • Hanging by a Thread (A Needlecraft Mystery, #6)
  • Date with Danger
  • Miss Seeton by Appointment (Miss Seeton, #6)
  • And Then You Dye (A Needlecraft Mystery, #16)
  • Crewel World (A Needlecraft Mystery, #1)
  • Unraveled Sleeve (A Needlecraft Mystery, #4)
  • Penelope Goes to Portsmouth (The Traveling Matchmaker, #3)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottish Da

Agatha Raisin (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1)
  • The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)

News & Interviews