Start by marking “Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)” as Want to Read:
Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)

Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden

(Agatha Raisin #9)

There is nothing more depressing for a middle-aged lovelorn woman with bald patches on her head than to find herself in an English seaside resort out of season. Agatha Raisin, her hair falling out after a run-in with a hairdresser-cum-murderess from a previous investigation, travels to an old-fashioned hotel in order to repair the damage away from the neighbors in her all- ...more
Audiobook, Unabridged
Published July 2012 by AudioGo (first published December 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden, please sign up.
Jd Holiday Agatha's cleaning woman, Mrs. Doris Simpson keeps Scrabble. I can't remember where you see this. It might be in the next book in the series.
Gretchen Bernet-Ward Unfortunately no, but the TV episode of this book was filmed in Eastnor Castle, Ledbury, Herefordshire, England, UK.

Start your review of Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)
Barbara

In this 9th book in the 'Agatha Raisin' mystery series, the amateur sleuth investigates murder in a residential hotel for retirees. The book can be read as a standalone.

*****

After a vengeful hairdresser washes Agatha Raisin's hair with depilatory rather than shampoo, the partially bald amateur detective - embarrassed to be seen in her Carsely village - goes to Wyckhadden for a vacation.

Agatha checks into the Garden Hotel, whose only residents are a coterie of elderly retirees who like to gossip
Fiona MacDonald
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
I can never get enough of Agatha. The more I read of her, the more I love her. Returning to her world is like being snuggled up cozily with a blanket and a cup of tea, it's ultimate comfort reading. This time, Agatha is on the case trying to solve the murder of a local witch whilst staying in a Victorian hotel with numerous oddballs. Could one of them be the killer? And will she ever find love?
Jules
Jan 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super series! I've been reading this series on and off for quite a few years now. Having read 18 books so far, I struggle to remember details of each book individually, so this is a general review.

This is such an enjoyable modern day Miss Marple. Agatha Raisin is so annoying at times, I've felt the desire to shake sense into her. Despite that, I can't help but like her. These books are filled with murder, mystery, quirky characters, country living and village gossip. I find they make quite a goo
Kevin
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
3 star
I'm in my fifties; Daisy, about mid-sixties; Mary and Jennifer the same; the colonel, oh, about seventy-odd; and Mr. Berry, definitely in the seventies. And the way time rushes by these days, it won't be long before I'm one of them and the tragedy is that I'll still feel about twenty-five.

That is the great thing about Agatha, no matter how many foolish things she does, she triumphs in the end just on sheer attitude and as Mrs. Bloxby always says about her "She's got a good heart."

I’m loo
Kirsten
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't read an Agatha Raisin in some time (actually I much prefer Hamish Macbeth) so I was very pleasantly surprised with this one. It's the best in the series so far.

Agatha is a very conflicting character. There are times I think she deserves whatever bad luck she gets. And, then there are times I quite like her. This book shows that in spades, and quite equally.

She's a fun character and the people at the hotel are like the people from Fawlty Towers (except the staff are fairly competent).
Cherie
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have loved all the Agatha Raisin mysteries so far, but this one seems to be missing something that I just can not quite put my finger on. All of her home town characters that we are familiar with are not in this novel, since she is out of town. But, that is not the only different factor. This one seems to ramble about with unnecessary details and uninteresting characters from the hotel and her personality also seemed to be off a bit from her usual. I was disappointed in this one, but I will de ...more
Sarah Booth
Oh, Aggie!

Aggie just can’t get out of her own way even when she is trying to. She’s stumbled right into another murder and another attempt at finding love, but Aggie seems to always end up knees deep in a mess. Fortunately Mrs. Bloxby and her cats are there to console her and try to help. This one made me feel a bit sad for Agatha though.
Lotte
Listened to this on audiobook. I enjoyed it, but it was also nothing more than another cozy mystery in the typical Agatha Raisin fashion—Agatha obsesses over her looks and her neighbour James Lacey, all the while somehow still finding time to do some sleuthing (this time she‘s trying to solve the murder of a local 'witch') and constantly getting herself in the weirdest situations. :D
If you‘re a fan of cozy mysteries, definitely give this series a try though! (There‘s also a recent TV adaptation
Berit☀️✨
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agatha is off again trying to get over James... this author definitely uses the same names over and over again, her ex-husband or dead husband was named Jimmy... and her sort of love interest in this book is named Jimmy, meanwhile the guy she has been obsessing on throughout the series is named James....Agatha suffered some hair loss at the end of the last book, so one of the other people staying at the hotel she is staying at recommends she sees the local witch... so she does and gets a hair gr ...more
Amina
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not really my cuppa.
Sara
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cozy mystery, mystery, British Cozy
Clever, Funny, British-cozy

Number 9 in the Agatha Raisin series, and this is one of my Agatha favorites! Murders follow Agatha wherever she goes and in this book she goes to the cold wintery coast of Wyckhadden. She is escaping James Lacey as she does not want him to see her hair--which she lost in her last mystery.

She knows from the start that she has made a mistake with Wyckhadden-everyone at the hotel is an old blue hair! She, being in her fifties is twenty years younger and cannot face the
Cheryl
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Escaping some annoying instances in her life, Agatha Raisin checks herself into a sleepy hotel overlooking a expanse of water. Serving more as a senior abode, she finds herself fighting boredom in the company of its year-round residents, who enjoy their retirement with nightly Scrabble games and drinking at the fireside.
Calling upon the local herbalist (witch) starts a series of events (murders) that elongate her stay and brings a new live interest to her side. Being laterally consumed in the
Kate
Sep 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kate by: Simon
Shelves: 2015-books
Agatha Raisin goes on vacation and murder follows her. She headed to a seaside town to try and get over her neighbor, James Lacey. There are several murders and Agatha becomes engaged to the very nice policeman, Jimmy Jessop. Agatha stumbles upon the solution to the murders and Jimmy finds out her true nature. Agatha returns home, trying to figure out what to do next with her life.
Agatha Raisin is not the nicest person and she is almost completely self absorbed, but I truly enjoy her as a break
Cyndi
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Agatha heads to a beach side town to allow her hair to grow back and discovers a lot of old nutters. But, of course, murder follows. I love Agatha, but I would turn 'Typhoid Mary' away if she came to my wee town. Every where she goes, people start dying.
Julie Davis
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Possibly my favorite yet. Agatha is still the same selfish, unsure, pushy person but by contrast with the people of Wyckhadden she is positively normal. I enjoyed seeing her be the live wire among the old people living in the hotel where she was having a holiday.
Tressa
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audio, murder
Even though I enjoyed many parts of Witch of Wykckhadden just because I love so many of the characters and they make me laugh while I try to figure out the mystery with them, this one dragged quite a bit in the middle. The elderly residents at the hotel are just...boring. And I kind of miss everybody back home, especially Mrs. Bloxby and Bill Wong, and I wish Agatha Raisin would stop running away and get back to her cottage!
An Odd1
Apr 14, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
1-2* "There was an aching pain where her heart should be" p 196. Gloomy place, unhappy Aggie. Suits when you're in a teary mood. Not my favorite of series. Men rush over too often, mess up more than help. Aggie repeats problems, calls vicar's wife Mrs Bloxby, departs early to visit her.

Agatha Raisin, bald patches from murder-hairdresser in last case, flees Lilac Lane Cotswold cottage for out of season seaside Garden Hotel, managed by Mr Martin. Daisy refers Agatha to "witch" Frances Juddle, who
Kaye
Considering I'm on my 9th book in the series you would think I would give a higher recommendation. The writing is just okay and the mysteries are kind of by the book. But I do like Agatha and the characters that surround her. There is something about an aging, pushy, ex-PR executive that no one likes much that is appealing. Add into to the mix her unrequited love for man next door, the setting in the Cotswolds and a little death and mayhem and it makes for great light reading. This book had Agat ...more
Andrew
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the more enjoyable books in this series. These are always quick reads and usually have a good mystery behind them. Whilst I wouldn't say I like the main character (I don't think you are meant to) she does get herself into some humorous scrapes but always (somehow) comes out working out who the killer is.
Leigh
Another Agatha Raisin adventure. Picking up right where the last book ended Agatha is in hiding in the village of Wcykhadden following a hairy incident with the murderer from the last book. She's staying at a posh hotel that has some elderly residents living there permanently. On the recommendation of one she consults a local witch for a cure for her bald head. She also takes a love potion for fun. When her prized fur coat is vandalized one evening Agatha immediately suspects the witch and rushe ...more
Banshee
In this addition of Agatha Raisin adventures Agatha heads to Wyckhadden for a little time away. Why Wyckhadden, well because it is cheap and close. While trying to relax and regrow her hair Agatha stumbles upon love, murder and mayhem.

The murder mystery was well written with lots of suspense. I had a hard time accepting the second murder as the murderer didn't seem physically able to pull off such a stunt. I could believe the motive behind the murders though.

The romance angle was fantastic and
Victoria Ellis
The ninth book in this series, Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden follows Agatha's adventures in a seaside town after a Francie, known for her potions and remedies, is found dead. I came to this series from the TV show, and while they have an episode with the same title it is a relatively different story. I actually didn't mind this. I realised pretty early on that the murderer was not going to be the same and so it was fun to guess at the culprit along with Agatha. There was something la ...more
Denise
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads
2.5 stars rounded up. 😕

I love Agatha and I enjoy that she's human and makes mistakes, etc...but what was she thinking?!? This was terrible decision making even for Agatha. Didn't like this one as well as the others in the series. I hope her brain returns in book 10.
Kai Charles(Fiction State Of Mind)
Agatha tries to escape yet stumbles into another murder
Charlotte Smith
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice little read short and sweet and alot happens
Chris
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agatha-raisin
The best in the series so far. As always a fun, fast read. Very simplistic in its approach and narrative but sometimes that suits me. A great little read that took all of three days to complete.
Goldenwattle
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun read about Agatha.
Dawn
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of this series, but this title is dated by its references to the 90s. Also, the end feels like a cheat as Agatha "solves" the mystery through intuition rather than real sleuthing. The author clearly phoned this one in, but it's still witty and fun enough to warrant a casual read.
Maria Thermann
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agatha Raisin, author M C Beaton's splendidly flawed heroine and amateur sleuth, goes on holiday in an English seaside resort in the middle of winter to escape the loneliness of her Cotswold cottage and the cold shoulder her erstwhile paramour James Lacey, now her neighbour, keeps giving her. There's also the embarrassment over her bald patches to be considered.

Wyckhadden's grand Garden Hotel is a genteel place where well-to-do elderly residents while away their evenings playing Scrabble and not
Nancy
Oct 16, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No matter how much I adore Agatha Raisin, some books just aren’t as good as others. This is one of those that missed the mark for me. A little on the boring side with very little momentum to keep the storyline moving forward.

Since Agatha had quite the hair incident at the end of Wizard of Evesham, she has decided to take a holiday to the seaside town of Wyckhadden. She needs a break from her life and most definitely a break from James Lacey.

What she finds is a small hotel with horrible elderly
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Snobbery With Violence (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #1)
  • Minerva (The Six Sisters, #1)
  • Miss Tonks Turns to Crime (Poor Relation, #2)
  • Lady Fortescue Steps Out (Poor Relation, #1)
  • Pome
  • Sir Philip's Folly  (Poor Relation, #4)
  • Colonel Sandhurst to the Rescue  (Poor Relation, #5)
  • Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • Expiry Date
  • Back in Society (Poor Relation, #6)
  • Sick of Shadows (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #3)
  • Our Lady of Pain (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #4)
  • Date with Danger (The Dales Detective Series)
  • Threadbare (A Needlecraft Mystery,#15)
  • And Then You Dye (A Needlecraft Mystery, #16)
  • Crewel World (A Needlecraft Mystery, #1)
  • The Drowning Spool (A Needlecraft Mystery, #17)
  • Knitting Bones (A Needlecraft Mystery, #11)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottish Da

Agatha Raisin (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1)
  • The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Love from Hell (Agatha Raisin, #11)

News & Interviews