Start by marking “History Is All You Left Me” as Want to Read:
History Is All You Left Me

History Is All You Left Me

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  17,598 Ratings  ·  3,876 Reviews
When Griffin's first love and ex-boyfriend, Theo, dies in a drowning accident, his universe implodes. Even though Theo had moved to California for college and started seeing Jackson, Griffin never doubted Theo would come back to him when the time was right. But now, the future he's been imagining for himself has gone far off course.

To make things worse, the only person wh
Published January 17th 2017 by Soho Teen

Kat O'Keeffe
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book gave me way too many feelings. I'd go from laughing at a cute scene to crying at a sad scene in a matter of minutes. IT WAS LIKE EMOTIONAL WHIPLASH (in a good way!)

I flew through this book over the course of a day and when I wasn't reading, I was thinking about when I could get back to reading. The characters were all so real and flawed, and they're in such a complicated situation. My heart just ached for all of them. I also particularly loved the dual timeline. It was perfectly woven
Emily May
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I stayed up late last night to finish this book and, I confess, I had chills down my spine as I came to the final page. History Is All You Left Me is a deeply sad book, perfectly in tune with human nature and yet never manipulative as it explores love, friendship and grief between four boys.

Perhaps Silvera is just f
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, contemporary
This was absolutely beautiful. Love love LOVE.
Em
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want the saddest pepe the frog meme you can find as this book’s alternative cover

I need a break from the linear flow of time because I'm pretty sure I'm dead on every level except physically. Adam Silevra's books are far too powerful and should be locked away in a vault where us plebeians are unable to access them because I feel like my life has been on a downward trajectory since 2015 when I read More Happy Than Not and have since stopped being a person and became sadness with legs.

Reading t
Emma Giordano
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
SIT TIGHT MY FRIENDS BECAUSE I AM ABOUT TO TELL YOU ALL ABOUT THE BEST DAMN YA RELEASE OF 2017.

I sincerely do not know to start this review because I just finished reading 5 minutes ago and to be honest, I'm having trouble breathing because I'm so overwhelmed. History Is All You Left ME was nothing less than a masterpiece; it's enticing, it's thrilling, it's reflective, it's heart-breaking. It's everything you could possibly want it to be and more and I cannot recommend this book enough to you a
Angela
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"I mean it: Promise me." "I promise you: I'll never die."

History Is All You Left Me follows Griffin, a guy who is suffering the loss of his ex-boyfriend Theo, who just died in a drowning accident. On top of grieving the death of Theo, is he also struggling with his OCD getting out of hand, pushing away the other member of their 'squad", Wade, and finally meeting Jackson. The boy who stole Theo away from him. HIAYLM follows events from both present and "history" weaving together and leading up
Kai
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt, 2016
"Just because someone is forgiving, it doesn't make asking for forgiveness easy."

History Is All You Left Me is Adam Silvera's second novel, and it may be even better than his debut More Happy Than Not. Silvera tells a story of love, friendship and mourning in face of loss.

Plot:
Griffin loses his first love, best friend and ex-boyfriend Theo in an accident. Left behind and feeling lost and lonely in his grief, he recounts their history, their relationship, first-times, happy times and not-so-happy
Lola
This is the moment of the end. This is where we give up hope on reversing time, where we abandon finding a cure to death, where we live in this Theo-less universe, where we say goodbye.

I never thought I’d say something like this about an Adam Silvera book, ever, but here’s the ugly truth: I struggled to finish History Is All You Left Me.

Really, really struggled.

It’s not that it isn’t lyrically-written, like More Happy Than Not, because it truly is—and more.

The writing is excellent, as is the m
✨    jamieson   ✨
history is all you left me literally fucked me up in 12 dimensions. this book moved me and effected me on such a deep level I really don't know what else to say about it. I read this book as part of a book club, and while I vaguely knew the plot, and had heard lots of good things about Adam Silvera - I didn't know what to expect exactly.

this book absolutely destroyed me I read it three months ago and I swear I think about it every day. It really touched me, and had such a big impact on me both a
emi
4.5/5 Stars

Hey you!

Yeah, you.

Do you like happiness?

And living?

And having your heart be perfectly okay?

Then this is not the book for you, but I think you should still read it anyway.

Now, I have a confession, I read this book back in January. According to Google, 178 days have come and gone with this book existing in my life. And in those 178 days, I've lied to everyone stating this review was coming a
C.G. Drews
Oh this was a little bit, how shall I put it?? Hmm....ENTIRELY FREAKING HEARTBREAKING. And of course I love books that pain me so bless this book and the trees that were murdered to give it life. And although I do have some quibbles about it, and it was actually severely sad/depressing to read....I'm really glad I devoured this one. IN ONE DAY I MIGHT ADD. I didn't want to put it down!

L I K E S:
It's thoroughly beautifully written. It has the kind of writing that is just a little dense to get t
Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: we were sent to earth for this. so everyone.
“You and I loved riding the L train together, always wondering if whatever car we were in was the exact car where our own history began, the prologue to what should’ve been an epic love story.”

description

Very rarely do you come across a book that has the ability to snatch the air from your lungs, pull your heart straight out your ribs, plant a twinkle in your eye through the tears, and root itself so deep in your nervous system, that every-time you move - you move with the story.

Please, please - if you
Larry H
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm at about 4.5 stars with this one.

Oh, man, this book...

Theo was Griffin's first love. They were best friends first, and then one day, Theo surprised Griffin by expressing his feelings for him, especially since they had never discussed either of them being gay. (This was Theo's secret; Griffin's was revealing to Theo that he knew he was suffering from obsessive-compulsive disorder and he wasn't quite sure what to do about it.)

"It's going to sound stupid, and I wouldn't ever say this out loud,
Maggie
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
...please don't be mad at me for relieving all of it. History is all you left me.

I wasn't expecting much from this one because it's Adam Silvera, and even though he only has 2 novels published, they're the kind of novels that one cannot not love. That's how captivating and beautiful Silvera's writing is. It's gripping, convincing, intriguing, beautiful. History Is All You Left Me was something different than what I normally read. It's a contemporary, something I always have read, but it's di
Elyse
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"I don't know if I can stand hearing about your happiness with him, but maybe it'll
help me understand you better. Maybe it'll help me add pieces to the puzzle of your life."

Theo and Griffin - best friends since grade school - became 'boyfriends' when they were sixteen. Both with wonderful supportive parents...I laughed when Griffin's dad said..."That's wonderful, but no more sleepovers".
Soon, in a very funny scene, Griffin and Theo run into Griffin's dad while in a drug store. Busted, Griffin i
Hari ~Brekker-Maresh~
Edit: 7.25.17

Ok here I am, like two-ish days after I read the book... And I'm still dead.

This book was amazing.

If you aren't crying by sentence number one I'm sorry, I'm gonna have to ship your ass to Area 51 cuz you are not. Human.

I dare you. Read the next sentence without crying, or least without feeling the urge to cry.

You’re still alive in alternate universes, Theo, but I live in the real world, where this morning you’re having an open-casket funeral.

Could you do it?? Doubt it.

I've added
Maxwell
Jan 21, 2017 marked it as dnf
Shelves: 2017
I had a feeling before I started this that it wouldn't be my thing. I don't read a lot of YA, and especially don't read a lot of YA contemporary. But I wanted to give it a chance because it was part of my 2017 BookTube Recommends project. However, after reading 25% of the book I know it's not my jam. I couldn't click with the writing style, especially the switching back and forth of the 1st person and 2nd person tenses between chapters. I might've been able to spend a few more hours and finished ...more
Whitney Atkinson
I started this book because I wanted a book that would get me in my feels, and although this got me teary a few times, it wasn't as sad as I was expecting it to be.

There was actually a lot of depth to this that I wasn't expecting. All the characters are so flawed and it was really refreshing to not be a typical loss story. It was so much more complex than I thought it would be and I was really refreshed and impressed. Even though Griffin makes questionable choices, you still root for him. It was
AMEERA
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OMG this book absolutely my favorite book of 2017 until 20100 it's just so sad and beautiful and unique and of course Adam silvera such good author to give us something beautiful like that
brekkersbutt
“I'm sorry, but please don't be mad at me for reliving all of it."

You know that one book in your tbr pile that you keep putting off not because you know you won't like it, but because you know damn well, just by reading the title and blurb itself, that it will probably break your heart and pierce that cold, dead soul of yours and leave you feeling emotionally drained?

Well, whaddya know? This is that book. Mark my words, amigos - I am never going to pick up another contemporary anytime soon. Ada
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Update: $1.99 on US Kindle today 9-21-17
Christy
4 stars!

description

“History is nothing. It can be recycled or thrown away completely. It isn’t this sacred treasure chest I mistook it to be. We were something, but history isn’t enough to keep something alive forever.”

History is All You Left Me is my first book by Adam Silvera, and let me tell you… it packed a punch. It was a compelling, heartbreaking, and beautifully written story.

This is the story of Griffin. It’s told part from present day, and part from the past. In the present, Griffin’s heart
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There's nothing quite like an Adam Silvera novel.

Both of his books are so heartbreakingly raw, real and beautiful. The entire time I was reading this I felt like I was truly experiencing things through Griffin, and it caused me to relive some tough memories from my own past. I also lost a friend to a drowning accident when I was a teenager and it's something you can never truly 'get over'. Anyways, I felt all of Griffin's anxiety, grief, guilt, happiness and longing as I took this journey with
destiny ☠ howling libraries
“I'm sorry, but please don't be mad at me for reliving all of it. History is all you left me.”

Oh, where to start with this one. I have a lot of feelings about this book, and I guess I’ll just go ahead and get this out of the way: despite the fact that I still gave it a decent rating, I’m tremendously disappointed, because I thought for sure that this would be a 5-star read for me. I adored Adam’s most recent release, They Both Die at the End , to the degree that I put him on my auto-buy li
Sabaa Tahir
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A compelling and cerebral exploration of friendship, young love, OCD, grief, healthy relationships, damaged relationships, broken hearts, broken people and selfishness--all from the point of view of an endearing but fascinatingly unreliable narrator. A completely different read from Adam Silvera's first phenomenal book, MORE HAPPY THAN NOT, and yet just as powerful. Absolutely a 5-star read.
Kenchiin
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really can't review this I'm sorry, just read it.
abby
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Perhaps my love for Adam Silvera's debut novel More Happy Than Not gave me unrealistic expectations for this book, but I was honestly expecting to like History Is All You Left Me a lot more than I did.

Just because Griffin is no longer dating his first love, his best friend Theo who moved across the country for college, doesn't mean that he's stopped loving him. Griffin is confident that he and Theo are the end game, and that Theo's new boyfriend Jackson is just a distraction. But then Theo dies,
Benjamin
Just going back and remembering the moment my life stopped making sense.

Happy Pride Month!
......................................................................................................
I know nobody will ever read or see this post/review, but as there's no one else on my life who would hear me either, I just had the need to express how much I loved this book and how my life won't ever be the same after reading this.
........................................................................
jessica
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘we were something, but history isnt enough to keep something alive forever.’

once again, adam silvera has created a story that radiates gentle love and pure tenderness. and i had no idea how much i would be able to relate to this on such a personal level. i think anyone who has ever had a difficult time letting go of history could benefit from reading this.

Kat Kennedy
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crying face emoji FOREVER.
YA Buddy Readers'...: History Is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera - Restarting July 12th 2018 43 139 Jul 08, 2018 11:59AM
Addicted to YA: History Is All You Left Me 8 63 May 19, 2018 09:21AM
Read Your Face Of...: Pages 58-120 7 18 May 19, 2018 07:39AM
Read Your Face Of...: Pages 121-196 5 12 May 13, 2018 12:23AM
  • Our Own Private Universe
  • The Upside of Unrequited
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • How to Make a Wish
  • Beast
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (Montague Siblings, #1)
  • You're Welcome, Universe
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
  • Last Seen Leaving
  • N/A
  • Kids of Appetite
  • Timekeeper (Timekeeper, #1)
  • Tash Hearts Tolstoy
  • It Looks Like This
  • Fall Boys & Dizzy in Paradise
  • Ramona Blue
  • The Female of the Species
  • Of Fire and Stars (Of Fire and Stars, #1)
Adam Silvera is the New York Times bestselling author of More Happy Than Not, History Is All You Left Me, and They Both Die at the End. His next book What If It's Us is co-written by Becky Albertalli (Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda) and releases on October 9th, 2018.
He writes full-time in New York City and is tall for no reason.
More about Adam Silvera

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“I'll never understand how time can make a moment feel as close as yesterday and as far as years.” 143 likes
“People are complicated puzzles, always trying to piece together a complete picture, but sometimes we get it wrong and sometimes we’re left unfinished. Sometimes that’s for the best. Some pieces can’t be forced into a puzzle, or at least they shouldn’t be, because they won’t make sense.” 113 likes