Start by marking “Undersea” as Want to Read:
Undersea

Undersea

In a world flooded and irradiated by a nearly forgotten cataclysm from generations passed, all that remains of civilization clings to life in two war-torn, city-sized submarines. For fifty years, the only peace between them had come from separation. Now, young council woman Ralla Gattley has uncovered mysteries that will bring these two factions face-to-face, initiating a ...more
Published February 24th 2015 by AmazonEncore (first published November 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Undersea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Undersea

Start your review of Undersea
Charl
Jan 11, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quit, y2012
Part of the Sci Fi story bundle, and as a Sci Fi story, the whole thing just doesn't hold water. The basic premise of the story is that a failed attempt to destroy/deflect an impending asteroid impact scattered radioactive debris over the planet, making the entire surface uninhabitable due to radiation and melting the ice caps, flooding the entire planet. The survivors of the entire human race live in giant submarines cobbled together from the hulls of surface ships.

Wait, what? Melting the ice c
Robin Burks
Nov 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book really surprised me. Once I started reading, I was sucked into this new world order that existed below the sea. I did not really know what to expect when I purchased this as part of the Story Bundle, but it did not disappoint. The story is a unique take on future Earth and I found the characters appealing and easy to relate to. I was especially impressed with Ralla and the strength that the character possessed, but I have always been a sucker for strong female protagonists.
Adam Sohmer
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Geoffre Morrison's "Undersea" is a terrific read, and not just for sci-fi fans. A compelling premise and well-developed characters combine to create the quintessential page-turner; I inhaled this book in no time. Highly recommended!
Numshah
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Innovative, a refreshing take on the future of humanity after countless 'we now have spaceships, laserbeams and robots! Hooray!' novels.
Jonathan
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book in my opinion was well written. Though the suspension built in the end left me wondering what happened after all that turmoil and grief that Thom and Ralla had to go through.
Joniwaldrup
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book surprised me.

I decided to read it without knowing much about it and it sucked me right in. The setting was very imaginative and very detailed. I really enjoyed all the little touches that made it more real. I don't want to give any of that away, because I think it was really fun to read.

The author creates a lot of tension during the high points of the conflict. It was really hard to put this book down at times. I found the central characters likable and realistic, though they probably
Foggygirl
Oct 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-read
A really great book, it is an intriguing world that the author has created, and a very action packed story. I look forward to reading more. I would have liked to see more background information about what forced the world's population under the sea in the first place and how the two different factions came to be at odds.
Michael
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once i had started this book, I could not put it down! A different take on the end of the world. Superb action sequences under the waves, and lots of suspense right up to thevlast page! Please Geoffry write a sequel!
Shantesh
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got this one as part of the Humble Ebook Bundle. Interesting plot about a scenario where humans have had to settle underwater in huge ships. Reasonably fast paced and good central characters. A sequel would have been great.
Anthony Kimball
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Undersea by Geoffrey Morrison is a gripping tale that should appeal to not just sci-fi fans, but to anyone who appreciates a well thought out story. The world Geoffrey created was detailed and believable, with characters that draw you in, and don’t let go. Well-paced, filled with action and humor, this book will not disappoint. The relationship between Ralla and Thom is intricate and very human with all the flaws, and warts that exist in reality. The technology is well integrated to the story, s ...more
Melvin
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, very original.
Mike Abrahams
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable - if you liked Philip Reeve's Mortal Engines (Hungry City series) books this will suit you down to the ground.

Doesn't Geoffrey Morrison know though that you only put out trilogies these days?

What can he have been thinking writing a completely self contained novel?
Michael
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a wonderful story set in a post-apocalyptic underwater world.

the characters really make this one. without the strong personality progression of the protagonists, this would be just another generic sci-fi entry (though i did appreciate the fact that this was not set in space, as so many other sci-fi novels are).

well worth your time.
Clive Barnard
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
A good book which, whilst a bit slow going it was good enough to keep me interested and I am glad I did.
Steven
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-completed
This was the most interesting post-apocalyptic book I've ever read.
Everyone lives underwater in these city sized submarines, and there are farms and mines in domes.
Also, there are two competing city subs with radically different ideas of government (both are flawed) and they fight it out.
I bought the sequel after 100 pages of this book, that should tell you whether or not it was a good read.
Brett Daugherty
TL:DR Version. Good book with a love story, submarine warfare, and a well written story line.

Overall a great book. I got this book in the first Story bundle (Highly recommend a look at that if you haven't already) and I wasn't disappointed. It was a short read for me, finishing it in a day, but it was a good day of reading. The story line was well written, if the very ending could have been done a little bit better, but the authors view on a post-fallout world is not one I have seen before and o
Agnieszka "Aeth" Jędrzejczyk
Can I write a review based on 14% that I managed to read? I mean, I should have known there was something wrong with this book from the start, but I was too smitten with the underwater post-apocalyptic setting and the promise of an adventure with two bickering protagonists to worry about events happening too fast, clumsy descriptions and and overall attitude of a story written for kids.

Suffice to say, I got the setting (whether I could believe in it is another matter) and I got two bickering cha
Dave
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought this might be a bit like a Peter F Hamilton space opera under the sea (sea opera?) but it felt more like it was written for 12 year old boys. The plot idea was OK, but you really had to stretch credibility to plot pass and I found it rather difficult to grasp just how exactly they managed to create what seemed to be a normal functioning society complete with coffee and wine etc after being underwater in a giant submarine for 3 generations.

And the love story was completely naff.

Sorry,
Carly Kirk
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was super awesome! Also, well written with likable characters and a great story that's told really well. I wouldn't have minded even more fleshing out of the characters, but otherwise this is an amazingly well thought out and crafted world. There's lots of action going on and one of the things I like most in a story - growth by the main characters, Thom and Ralla. Another thing I really like in a book is a strong female character and Ralla comes through in spades. I got this first book ...more
Roberto
Very interesting, well written book. It presents a scenario and follows things to logical conclusions, sets rules and keeps them. Interesting character development, too.

The not so great? Well, it suffers a bit from the "this person is involved in *everything* that happens" syndrome, but that's par for the course in scifi, and I have learned to live with it.

And this is totally petty of me, but whenever Mrakas Gatley was mentioned, I kept reading he's called "Maracas" and giggling, which kinda spo
Rae Storey
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
Author Geoffrey Morrison has managed to create a world of believably advanced technology cobbled together from decades-old decaying parts, set in the depths of ocean water where natural sunlight, and radiation, never reach. Ingenuity and innovation are the keys to life in this world. The cast of fully fleshed-out characters feel like family members, even the really bad dude who needed to be on meds...he is that crazy uncle nobody likes but has to deal with at family reunions.
Constance Hicks
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book!!

I am a sci-fi lover and this book was a great read. There is plenty of action from beginning to end and the story line was great. I would recommend this book to any action or sci-fi lover.
Suzette White
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good premise and fast paced.

Not badly written but a lot of typos and misspellings. Good story line and character development was steady. A very unique take on an "end of the world" scenario.
Gdt
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review has been removed due to Amazon's purchase of Goodreads.
Adrienne Vaughan
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic read.Highly recommended.
Don Brotherton
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

I have to say that this was more of a unexpected surprise than I thought it would be. I liked the characters and the story line was ok
Sean
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice, entertaining read. I'm a sucker for underwater action and this book delivered that in spades with some solid character work thrown in to boot.
Walter Weston
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book! Fun to read.
Logan Capizzi
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great

Was a really good book, if you're looking for an an exciting sub warfare and romance book, this is for you
Wogan May
Jan 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
I didn't enjoy this one. The plot, setting and world could have made for a compelling story, but there was far too little in the way of character development (it felt forced), no sense of urgency or emotional investment, and a lot of skipping over things that could have been good to read.

• Winter World (The Long Winter, #1)
  • The Solar War (The Long Winter, #2)
  • One Word Kill (Impossible Times #1)
  • No Place Like Home: Patricia Fisher Mysteries (A Humorous Cruise Ship Cozy Mystery Book 10)
  • Magic for Liars
  • Scottish Rite (Maggie Devereaux #1)
  • Blood Rite (A Maggie Devereaux Mystery, #2)
  • The Lie Tree
  • The Lost Colony (The Long Winter, #3)
  • Murder on the Oxford Canal (DI Hillary Greene, #1)
  • Murder at the University (DI Hillary Greene, #2)
  • Murder of the Bride (DI Hillary Greene, #3)
  • Murder in the Village (DI Hillary Greene, #4)
  • Murder in the Family (DI Hillary Greene, #5)
  • With a Narrow Blade (DI Hillary Greene, #6)
  • The Complete Atopia Chronicles (Atopia Chronicles, #1-6, Atopia, #1)
  • Murder in the Meadow (DI Hillary Greene, #7)
  • World Killer: An explosive Young Adult sci-fi adventure
Geoffrey Morrison is a travel and tech writer for Forbes and CNET. He's also the A/V Editor at The Wirecutter (A New York Times company). He was Editor in Chief of Home Entertainment magazine and before that, Technical Editor of Home Theater magazine.

He has written for Men's Journal, Popular Photography, PC World, Robb Report, Consumers Digest, Channel Guide, and many others. He’s been interviewe