Start by marking “Taking on Tory (Magic, New Mexico, #2)” as Want to Read:
Taking on Tory (Magic, New Mexico, #2)

(Magic, New Mexico #2)

Published February 23rd 2015

To ask other readers questions about Taking on Tory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taking on Tory

Start your review of Taking on Tory (Magic, New Mexico, #2)
Carrie
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Taking on Tory by S.E. Smith is the second book of the Magic, New Mexico paranormal romance series. Now I've not read the first book myself so I can't say for certain if these characters play a role in the first book or not. However, the main characters do seem to change from book to book so this one read fine as a standalone.

Tory Carson is twenty four but still treated like a child by her family so she dreams of nothing more than leaving her little town of Magic, New Mexico. Everyone believes
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
Nope, just no. Simon is an asshole. No relationship development. Very dubious consent from Tory. I hated that most of.
Marta Cox
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it

This is a lot shorter than I expected.
Tory is a vampire/ witch with a serious blood allergy which obviously causes her problems. Add to that she has a very protective family and honestly she has no idea what lives outside her town of Magic.
Simon believes that there are very few supernatural beings in his world but his thoughts are about to change when his wolf picks a female that has the ability to pack more than a little punch !
I usually read this authors sci fi romance but i enjoyed meeting he
Hollie
I made it to the 50% mark, but I'm declaring this one a DNF. It reminds me of dozens of other cliché werewolf/vampire books I've read. The dialogue and characters are just so lame that I have no desire to continue this one. At least it was a freebie.
Coco.V
Jan 02, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
💝 FREE on Amazon today (1/2/2018)! 💝
Cheesecake
Simon and Tory.
Sweet fluffy goodness at it's best. Short and shallow but made me snicker and smile.
Tory is a 24 year old vampire and has been sheltered not only by her family but by the whole town. She longs to spread her wings (and not just when she is in bat form). She travels away to stay with her older brother and meets Simon. Simon who is a 300+ year old werewolf and has no clue that there are other werewolves, let along Vampires etc. He is used to getting what he wants with no effort and
Angela Charles
Tori is a new character in the Magic, New Mexico series. We did meet her great-aunt Topper back in Lacey's book, Touch of Frost and I am glad that we got to see more of Topper.

This book was super short but it did give us a lot of information within it and it also introduces us to more characters. I enjoyed Tori and I enjoyed Simon. Simon is the typical werewolf however he thinks he is the only supernatural being and I can understand that because his previous Alpha never told him any different.

I
Kira Simion
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: got-for-free
Took me less than an hour to complete.

The characters were meh. Too much
insta-love. Sex, sex, and more sex. (Though sex was also meh).

The pace was pretty jerky and I didn't quite see how the book was any different than many other werewolf/mate books. The ONLY kind-of difference was the fact that the mate of the alpha wolf was a vampire...still pretty meh. Could've been better but, the book didn't really show anything, rather more telling of sex, 2D characters, and a pretty boring plot.

If you like
Pamela
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really wish this had been longer as I quite enjoyed it.
Marsha
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I first read the description for "Taking on Tory" I expected to be moderately entertained. I had no idea how a 90 page book could be so comical and endearing. I quickly realized that I had stumbled upon a little goldmine of a good read.

Twenty four year old Tory has been lining a sheltered life with her family in Magic, New Mexico. She is part vampire as well as allergic to some blood types. Who know? Vampires can have allergies too! She has been trying unsuccessfully for year to get her ov
Malinda
3.5-4 stars

This was a pretty good story. I liked both Simon and Tory and while their story was short, it was enjoyable.

Tory is a 24 year old vampire with a blood disorder that only allows her to imbibe in A+ blood. Tory's been protected (aka smothered) by her family and she's ready (aka itching) to get out of her hometown of Magic, NM and explore. She finally gets her chance when she's allowed to go to South Carolina to visit with her older brother.

Simon is a centuries old werewolf who masquerad
Trish R.
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Awesome novella..

For a short little story this was really good. I remember how much I liked it last year when I first read it but I couldn’t remember all of it so I figured I’d have a look-see what it was about.

Poor Simon thought he was the only paranormal left in the world BUT little did he know about all the residents of Magic, New Mexico, and the ones visiting Charleston, South Carolina. A visitor named Tory, who was a vampire, with a blood disorder, a witch and a shifter, all rolled into on
ValerieC
I waited so long for Book 2 of this cute series, I thought the author totally dropped it. This is short, but fun. I like the series and I think there is a lot to work with for new books, namely Tori's brothers, her friends, her aunts, and even how the new werewolf in town adjusts to his new life.

I really wish Ms. Royce had expanded the ending a little bit, but it is fine as it is.
Talltree
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Adorable novella read about a young h who comes from a family of love and magic finding her HEA with an alpha werewolf H who's had to struggle for everything including his very survival. The twain meet and H goes after h like an obsessed stalker only to be befuddled by her. It was funny and cute, only wished book was longer!!

Amber
Apr 28, 2016 rated it liked it
when Smith does it right I really enjoy her, and this was done right. but dear LORD the woman needs to learn not to rely on spellchecker. this wasn't a horrid offender but still. spellchecker is not your best friend. it's not.
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2015
Hard to like a main character when that character is way too Alpha. It got worse when his behavior became stalking and possessive. 'Cause you, know that's so hawt.
Peg
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: smith-s-e
I loved it!!

I'm hoping there will be more books in this series. It just can't end with Tory and Simon. Please say you're writing more S. E. Smith.
Jamoz23
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Had to wait a long time to get a follow on from Touch of Frost. This one is a short but enjoyable read, not as humorous as book one.
Poor Tory, wants to see more of the world and stumbles into alpha werewolf Simon nearly straight away who decides she is his. Tory is also a vampire with a blood allergy.
Poor Simon, he has not had an easy life, changed into a werewolf hundreds of years previously and used and abused for years. He does not know other paranormals exist. Glad that he will now have a fa
Elaine Kirby
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very Good 2!

This was a short & sweet book telling the tale of how Joseph & Jonah's parents met.

Tory Carson has always wanted to travel & visit other places; she gets that opportunity when her brother pays her a visit & takes her with him to Charleston.

Simon Drayton is a werewolf & he doesn't know that other creatures exist but, he will find that out once he discovers what Tory is & where she comes from.

This was a very good book even though it had some sex scenes that weren't very explicit but th
Sydney M Neblett
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Take me back to Magic, New Mexico

This little town, filled with immortal creatures, is a barrel of laughs, friends, family and love. The mystery of book one has carried onto book two. Tory a young half witch vampire goes on a trip and meets Simon a werewolf who thought he was the only one. Fate intervenes and set these two souls on a collision course even when family interferes. I hope you enjoy the journey back to Magic as much as I have. I’m looking forward to the next book in the series.
Mary A Browne
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book

I absolutely loved this book. Tory is a vampire that's allergic to blood. And if that's not enough to draw you in, there's Simon, who believes that he is alone in this world, as a werewolf. He has no idea that there are more magical creatures around. He seems surprised that Tory is a vampire since she can walk around in the sunlight. It goes against what he thinks he knows about them.

This book is a fun filled romp between two magical beings that find their HEA and I recommend it to eve
Olivia_hancockymail.Com
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another surprise

I gave this book a four only because it was a much shorter read and not as good as frost but the magic series was a very good read As a matter I was surprised as it being very good But I did like the previous book better it was longer and showed a lot more character in the town This book was putting too much info in such a shorter story that it kind of didn't have enough of the main couples. But 8t was still a good book.
Lynn Smith
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Taking on Tory

Tory a young vampire wants to see the world, at least anything but Magic, New Mexico. When her brother invites her to Charleston she can't wait to go. Delivering furniture to Simon she scents his us paranormal but tries to ignore it. Simon just knows she is for him. His forever. He just has to convince her of it.
Short story really wish it was longer. I loved it.
 BookwormMomma7
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! My first book by this author and what a fantastic read. This story is fast passed, great funny and charming characters and settings. You will fall in love with Magic, New Mexico and it's wonderful residents. Here we have Tory on a bid for freedom from her over protective family and with some help she gets her wish, now instead she has to deal with Simon. Read on and enjoy this humorous and sexy tale.
Claudia Schaffer
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Frist trip

As the youngest child and the only daughter, Tory father did not his baby to grow up. At twenty-four she was going on her first trip away from her hometown with her older brother.

The trip goes well until she is seen by someone who wants her. He's see and knows she's the one. What he does not know she is Vampire.
Carol Smith
Jul 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
A light-hearted but romantic vampire werewolf romance!

This book was about the vampire, Tory, and the werewolf, Simon. This was new to me that the vampires had magical abilities. This was a short story with romance, family togetherness and protectiveness, and hot, sexy Love. There were scenes that made me giggle out loud. This was an enjoyable read.
CJ
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a great book. Tory is fun and Simon is mysterious with a great alpha animal side. The family dynamics sound just about right when the youngest is a daughter and older brothers are too protective - it makes for some chuckles and some groans that create a wonderful story.
Judi
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating new vampire mythology...

Magic is full of hilarious supernaturals and Tory and the Carsons are that and your normal protective vampire family. This sweet short story is fun for an afternoon read.
Dawn Carey
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Taking on Tory

Another Awesome job of storytelling by Smith. If you haven't already tried anything from Smith then you are definitely missing out on some really great reads. I loved this series and can't wait to get a hold of more of her work!!!!
Josie
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my

Where have you been hiding? Not a full on romantic suspense, but there was enough twist and turns to keep me hooked. My TBR pile has just gotten larger because I want to know more about Magic.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Etched In Stone (Magic, New Mexico, #4)
  • Alien Surgeon’s Seduction (Warriors of the Lathar, #10)
  • Kirall's Kiss (Kiss Series, #1)
  • Daughter of the Alien Warrior (Treasured by the Alien, #3)
  • Rescued by her Alien Protector (Warriors of the Lathar #11)
  • Baby Inheritance
  • Alien Warrior's Secret (Warriors of the Lathar, #9)
  • Autumn's Kiss (Kiss Series, #2)
  • Topper's Magical Christmas (My Crazy Alien Romance, Book 4 & Magic, New Mexico 40)
  • Alien Commander's Mate (Warriors of the Lathar, #6)
  • Adored by the Alien Assassin (Warriors of the Lathar, #5)
  • Alien King Crashes the Wedding (Lumerian Knights #1)
  • Loved in Space
  • Mark of Eon (Eon Warriors, #5)
  • The Lasaran (Aldebarian Alliance, #1)
  • Seized (Tribute Brides Of The Drexian Warriors, #2)
  • Nightshade Magic (Magic, New Mexico Book 5)
  • Chasing His Bunny (Big Bad Bunnies #1)
S.E. Smith is a New York Times (Twin Dragons and Dagger’s Hope) and 15 time USA TODAY Bestselling author of Science Fiction, Urban Fantasy, and Paranormal Romance. She brings action, adventure, and suspense-filled romance stories to transport readers out of this world. Sexy, funny, action-packed—Science fiction, Paranormal, Fantasy, and Contemporary stories with a twist! Discover stories with a he ...more

Magic, New Mexico (3 books)
  • Touch of Frost (Magic, New Mexico, #1)
  • Alexandru's Kiss (Magic, New Mexico #3)

News & Interviews