Start by marking “Nothing Like Looking” as Want to Read:
Nothing Like Looking

Nothing Like Looking

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  56 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Reed Larson was just expelled from her old school. Do you want to know why? Me too. But she won’t say.

Ask her about the book her brother gave her instead, The Hobbit.

Or the beautiful boy named Mason.

Or her new school, Fancy Snob School for Rich Kids That Want to be Fancy (FSSFRKTWTBF for short).

Or how she’s hiding everything about herself.

Actually, scratch that. Just ask
Published March 2nd 2015

Ella Zegarra
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Original de: El Extraño Gato del Cuento

Si eres como yo, o sea: Cínica, hereje, sinvergüenza, amante de generar y contemplar el caos y, sobre todo, con un sentido de humor fuera de lugar e inapropiado; va gustarte Nothing Like Looking. Si no tienes alguno de esos requisitos, es bastante seguro que termines tirando este libro por la ventana.

Me gusta mucho como está hecha la sinopsis porque en realidad no te dice exactamente de qué irá. Te da curiosidad. La premisa es esta, no es spoiler: Reed está
Noemi
Mar 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
I am gonna spoiler the SHIT out of this book, just so you know.

This book is about a girl with such terminally low self-esteem that she makes not even a SINGLE attempt to dispel an untrue rumor about herself, and further uses this untruth to her advantage, as a way to get closer to the boy she likes. And what is this untruth, this rumor that makes her a more desirable friend, a more interesting person, a more "cool" individual? It's that she's a lesbian.

Uh huh. Sure. Let's leave aside what this
Kelly Gunderman
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley-reads
I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I have such mixed feelings about this book. I enjoyed reading it. There was not a single time where I was bored or just wished it was over already. I was actually kind of bummed when it ended, because it was a well written young adult book (these are surprisingly hard to come by).

After reading the blurb for this book, and then starting to read the book, I had to go back and reread the blurb sever
Miranda
Apr 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
I just....."Stella's wallets" is NOT a palindrome.
Dory

Nothing Like Looking was an.. interesting read. Definitely very different from what I read in this genre, yet so similar in other ways to books and real life. It is a short, quick paced novel about being the new kid in highschool. Trying to find new friends and trying to fit in and be "cool". Personally, the book gave me a wrong message. Its about a girl, Reed, who gets expelled because she was believed to be gay, and while going to another school, there is the great misconception that she is ga
Elle
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
See the full review at Erratic Project Junkie!

This book is great! It was even better than I had expected. The writing is witty and fun, full of great snark and smart academic and culturally cross-referencing Easter eggs. It's a great read for anyone who enjoys YA fiction.
Nicole
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. So everyone at her new school thinks Reed is something she isn't, but it gives her a popularity boost and the opportunity to sidle closer to her new crush, so she rolls with it. She means to set them straight, but the timing is never right, and once you've let a lie go too far, it's just awkward to admit the truth. A laugh-out-loud Bildungsroman about a misfit who sets out on a journey of self disco ...more
Helen
Apr 09, 2015 rated it liked it
I really liked some of the complex thinking patterns and intersecting storylines in this novel. I really did not like Reed's character, though, as I could just not justify her pretending to be gay so she could hang out with a boy. My favourite character would have to be Hannah because of her personality and hair.
-r-
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I would describe this as a YA combination of Prep and Fangirl.
Audrey
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fun, smart read with realistically quirky characters. Highly recommend.
Cori
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Note: I received a copy of this book from the author herself. Because we both like cheese - not because she was bribing me for a good review. All thoughts in this good review are my own.

Some of you may recall when I reviewed Chris Van Hakes debut novel, Lost and Found...and I loved it. So, when she told me she wanted to send me a paper copy of her new book I was so excited! You see, I've stalked her on social media for long enough to know when someone is pouring their whole soul into their work
Thu
May 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
I was initially interested in this book because the blurb reminded me somewhat of E. Lockhart's The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks (which is a fabulous book that I highly recommend).

In some ways, it was similar - Reed Larson is smart and witty, and as a protagonist/narrator, she made me laugh quite a bit. But where Frankie Landau-Banks was a mastermind, refusing to let other people dictate who she is or where she can belong, Reed was the opposite - infuriatingly passive.

Let me exp
Jessica
Mar 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: firstreads-etc
This book was provided as an ARC through a Goodreads giveaway. Thank you to Chris Van Hakes, the publisher, and Goodreads for giving me the opportunity to read it. This is my honest review. No compensation was given.

Chris Van Hakes calls this a pile of jokes with a story. There's not much story and even fewer jokes.

The blurb makes this sound like a fun and geeky read with plenty of character. I expected this to feel like a Meg Cabot book because that blurb is exactly what I would expect from Mi
Sally
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hey so I really enjoyed this book! I loved Reed and her hipster-dad-enforced veganism, and Mason and his cool nerdiness. I haven't read The Hobbit yet but now I am more inspired to. I didn't like David much - I just found him to be too rude and strange at times, and not in the good way! Plus the jealousy, no thanks. And Jett, I wanted to slap her... soooo pushy!!! Crikey.

(view spoiler)
Erin
Mar 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Darnia
Apr 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
I'm so sorry, but it was hard for me to like this book. Reed's problems irritated me. Pretended to be a lesbian so everybody would think that it's cool wasn't cool at all. I know that this book tried to showed the disadvantages for not being yourself. And sorry to say, I think made the MC looked dumb also not helping. Like, everyone knew that Mason like her, except herself, even when she said to everyone that she's a lesbian.

And the worst of all...the twist. The disclosure about the person who m
Katie Taylor
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This nerdy, angst-filled story of teenage love is just what I was looking for in these last few weeks to take my mind off troublesome things and escape into an imaginary high school world. Van Hakes knows how to string me along with a smidge of mystery and a cast of quirky, flawed characters that frustrate me just enough to ensure I keep reading until they figure things out and fall in love. In one of my favorite literary styles, Van Hakes weaves J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit throughout the novel, ...more
Tara
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Karenofnine
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fans of romance comedies as well as the The Hobbit will find a lot to love in this YA book by Chris Van Hakes. Its relatable heroine reminds me of what it was like to be a teenager again, with friends, family, crushes, and insecurities taking center stage as you try to figure out who you are. The Hobbit references are used to great effect by informing the characters' discussions and as vehicles in the plot itself--anyone who has identified with Bilbo (and maybe occasionally Smaug) will want to p ...more
Vivien
Mar 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This book had its ups and downs. Mostly downs. I hated a lot of characters because they were such terrible people. I have absolutely no hope for humanity after reading this book. The characters are sick vile pieces of shit...

The story is interesting and it touches upon important topics. Sexual orientation, politics, lifestyle.
Julia
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Such a delightfully odd, sweet YA romance about a high school sophomore who is starting at a new, fancy, private school after being expelled from the Christian school she's attended for years. The young characters and their conflicts and struggles were all just so good, and I went to a conservative Christian high school back in the day so the story had that extra special bit of resonance for me.
Melissa
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, ebooks
This is a cute and quirky novel about teen angst, love, and how no one really considers themselves to be normal. It's witty and charming and does what a lot of YA tries to do, but usually falls into the blah category.
Stacie
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great!!

I loved this book! I was surprised - it was an easy read but I couldn't put it down!!! Write more!!
Megan (Best of Fates)
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: female-authors
A sweet, fun, hilarious read that will leave you smiling.
Diane
Mar 24, 2015
Michelle
Feb 25, 2015
  • Populatti
  • How to Get Ainsley Bishop to Fall in Love With You (How to Survive High School)
  • Jamie's Story (Skinniness is Next to Goddessness?, #3)
  • Picture Me
  • Gracie Faltrain Gets It Right (Finally) (Gracie Faltrain, #3)
  • The Kiss
  • Aspen
  • Overexposed
  • How to Convince a Boy to Kiss You (Aurora Skye #2)
  • An Infidel in Paradise
  • Andy Squared
  • Are You Still There
  • Confessions of a Queen B* (The Queen B*, #1)
  • The Icarus Project
  • Freshman Year
  • Polarity in Motion
  • Don't Pat the Wombat!
  • A Cowboy Comes Home (Colorado Cattle Barons, #1)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)