Start by marking “The Sultan's Kitchen: A Turkish Cookbook [Over 150 Recipes]” as Want to Read:
The Sultan's Kitchen: A Turkish Cookbook [Over 150 Recipes]

The Sultan's Kitchen: A Turkish Cookbook [Over 150 Recipes]

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  129 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
"Not to be missed…a gem. This is real Old World cooking…devotees of Mediterranean cuisine would be remiss not to add this book to their collection."—Boston Globe

Contemporary Turkish cuisine ranges from favorites such as chickpea pilaf to richly stewed lamb on a bed of eggplant. It is fresh, distinctive, and flavorfuluthe result of over five centuries of culinary tradition.
Published May 1st 2001 by Periplus Editions (HK) ltd. (first published May 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Sultan's Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sultan's Kitchen

Ela
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well, I'm an experienced cook and cookbooks reader. If I were a different kind of person, I might say that this book made me a great cooking lover. But I've been a cooking lover for many years. And yet. This book is not only a collection of recipes but an amazing introduction to the realm of Turkish cuisine and an examination of the widely diverse food domains we inhabit.
Flâneur
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This
Kate
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you like Turkish or Middle Eastern food you'll probably love this cookbook as much as I do. So many delicious recipes. Salads, soups, breads, vegetables and meats. There is something here for everyone. One of my favorites is Ispanak Kavurma or Sautéed Spinach with Yogurt-Garlic sauce. I've had several friends who despise Spinach in any form devour this dish and return for seconds! Although this book isn't new it's still well worth purchasing. I highly recommend it.
Jonna Gjevre
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
One of the first things I did after visiting Turkey was to buy this lovely cookbook.

Great Turkish recipes, beautiful photographs. The Sultan's Kitchen is actually rather difficult to read (fine grayish print on glossy tinted paper--not a great design decision), but the vegetable recipes, in particular, are very good.
Leigh
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have been so pleased with this library discovery. So many great recipes, with lots of vegetarian options. I've been able to recreate many dishes that I crave from my favorite Turkish restaurant. The Sultan's Kitchen is now part of my permanent collection.
Dee
Sep 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
A beautiful book with wonderful recipes. Some ingredients are more difficult to find in rural America, but luckily we have the internet.
Nesrin
  • Please to the Table: The Russian Cookbook
  • The Olive and the Caper: Adventures in Greek Cooking
  • Irish Traditional Cooking: Over 300 Recipes from Ireland's Heritage
  • The Soul of a New Cuisine: A Discovery of the Foods and Flavors of Africa
  • A Mediterranean Feast: The Story Of The Birth Of The Celebrated Cuisines Of The Mediterranean, From The Merchants Of Venice To The Barbary Corsairs, With More Than 500 Recipes
  • Real Thai: The Best of Thailand's Regional Cooking
  • The Book of Jewish Food: An Odyssey from Samarkand to New York
  • Harumi's Japanese Home Cooking
  • Couscous and Other Good Food from Morocco
  • Cradle of Flavor: Home Cooking from the Spice Islands of Indonesia, Singapore, and Malaysia
  • Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Cafés of Vienna, Budapest and Prague
  • Medieval Cuisine of the Islamic World: A Concise History with 174 Recipes (California Studies in Food and Culture, 18)
  • Tapas (Revised): The Little Dishes of Spain