Start by marking “The Invitation” as Want to Read:
The Invitation

The Invitation

It arrives on crisp, ivory paper with elegant gold script. It is an invitation to a party like no other, an invitation to death. Written by the same author as Funhouse.
Published August 20th 1996 by Scholastic Children's (first published January 1st 1992)

Brittany Manning
Apr 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I read this a thousand time in the 90s. Loved it, in all its twisted and cheesy glory.
Mandi Kaye Ottaway
Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archive... (3/23/12)

Ever read a book blurb and think that sounds really interesting, only to read the book and be grossly underwhelmed?

That’s this book.

I was blissfully unaware that this is a re-release of a 1993 MG book – turning things into e-books is all the rage these days – but honestly, it needs to stay in 1993.

The idea is a fabulous one. But the execution? The execution of this book was painful to read. There was zero character development, the “t
Connie
Source: I read this book online via Open Library.
Cost: Free

Title: The Invitation
Series: Point Horror #20
Author: Diane Hoh
Overall Rating: 3 stars

I didn't enjoy this one as much as I'd hoped too, the premise of it was brilliant. When Cass, a rich and popular teen, invites 5 not so rich and not so popular people to her annual party, she uses them as bait in her people hunt. They are tied up, nearly killed with carbon monoxide, heated, cooled and all things inbetween. It's a really gruesom
Bex
Dec 04, 2016 rated it liked it
The first 50 pages could be a romance or a mystery they lack suspense but do give you a bit of character development. At first I thought I'd hate this book due to the lack of horror drama but by pg100 I was gripped. A slow boiler that comes right at the end without a necessarily happy end.
The only thing that dates this is there would have to be some cell phone reception or check at door line as I don't know a teenager who would be willingly separated from their phone long enough for this to play
Ken
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had so many Point Horrors when I was younger that I'm struggling to remember which ones I had read, so been given them a revisit.

I'm starting to realize why I don't remember this as found the plot really uninteresting and the main characters annoying. It's an easy quick read but instantly forgettable.
Marion
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Clearly written in the time before cell phones, because if anybody pulled the rotten trick Cass did to me, I would have already called my parents, the cops, and a lawyer to sue the hell out of that snotty, selfish BEEEEEEP.
Harold Walters
Jun 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Mean girls and attempted murder!
Sara
Apr 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, young-adult
Was a good young adult book full of twists and turns :)
Rachael
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
I've always loved reading Diane Hoh's books, her writing pulls me in every time. The concept in 'The Invitation' was great and I had very high hopes for Diane's twists and turns but ended up being a little bit disappointed with the outcome. With a plot like this the story could have been taken up to the extreme and yet it fell short. Not to say I didn't enjoy it nonetheless....
Becky Kelly
Nov 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Yeah, that's bad. Cheesy and obvious. I guess it's for kids but still...
Maine Caulfield
A perfectly acceptable little thriller from the 90s.
SHANE ELLIS
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nostalgia read!
Vicki
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fab book I raced through it. Really good characters
Hayes the Haute Librarian
Horrible.

Me at 12 years old would have eaten up then.

Back then, I didn’t know that rich, spoiled teen princesses didn’t wear “a peach silk blouse.”
Donna
Dec 26, 2011 rated it liked it
I’m all for the re-emergence of cheese and Open Road Media has a market for that. They’ve been re-releasing older YA titles as of late and, knowing me, I’m pretty quick to gobble them up. They usually end up being short reads, concise and to the point without much depth to them. Lead-up to mystery, solve it, story ends and that’s pretty much it. THE INVITATION didn’t let me down in this regard.

The issues that I generally have with these titles is that the characters are a bit too stereotypical a
Roxanne Kade
Apr 23, 2012 rated it liked it
The Invitation is an entertaining book that took me back to my high school years, when teen slasher movies were the craze. The plot was a little predictable - a group of friends, a psycho out for revenge and a few strange occurences that keep you guessing who exactly is behind everything that is happening. But there were one or two twists thrown in which really and truly surprised me.

So basically the story is about five very ordinary teens who receive invites to the party of the year. Their exc
Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)

First off lets get the technicalities out of the way. I was given this book to review through Netgalley. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated in any way for them.

That being said here is my review:

Sarah knew when she received the invitation in the mail that something wasn't right. Why would Cass the town's wealthiest and most popular girl invite her to a party, not just any party THE biggest party of the year. Receiving the Invitation was strange enough but then her friends all call
Leah
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Teen fans of softcore dark fiction
Rating: 4 of 5

The Invitation was among the many Point Horror books I read in the 90s, between the ages of 12 to 16. In those days, when I wasn't buried in a Stephen King novel, nine times out of ten I was reading L.J. Smith, R.L. Stine, Christopher Pike, Caroline B. Cooney, or Richie Tankersley Cusick. Their novels always thrilled and entertained, and yes, there was a healthy dose of jumps and creepies.

Nowadays, I'd recommend the Point Horror books for younger 12- to 15-year-olds, who want to
Amber (Books of Amber)
The characters were really stupid, but I'll forgive that because this is a horror novel and people do stupid things in horrors.

-----

Review here: http://www.booksofamber.com/2012/04/i...

I read this book when I was much younger, and I enjoyed reading it this time just as much as I did back then. The structure of the plot is the classic Point Horror structure, with a main character who we're meant to root for and then a mystery character who is going around killing everyone.

I like how the plot is
Stephanie
middle school & up

Sarah and her friends have just been invited to THE party of the year by Cass Rockham. The weird thing? Sarah and her friends are total losers who Cass never even speaks to. Things only get weirder once they arrive. Cass coerces them to play a rigged game of musical chairs. Each time someone loses they are escorted away and they don't return to the party. Sarah is pissed when she discovers her and her friends have only been invited to be a part of the "entertainment." They
Kari
Jun 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, kindle
For the most part, The Invitation was enjoyable. There are never any real clues as to who the potential killer could be. I thought the book was pretty tame as no one really gets too hurt. There are some pretty tense moments. It's a quick read, I read it in a couple of hours. My only criticism is that it was too short. I wanted a better ending or should I say a more complete ending. Maybe an epilogue would have been nice. The subject matter is still relevant for today. The popular kids still exis ...more
Jasmine Rose
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012-books-reads
When I came across The Invitation on Netgalley I had no idea it was so old (1993) or that it was a part of a series sort of like Fear Street by R.L. Stine (anyone else remember those?). It just sounded like a good, scary story that might get my heart racing. I’m said to say it didn’t do that for me at all. Really, the only thing I got out of it was a feeling of nostalgia since I spent almost an entire year reading R.L. Stine and similar books/authors.

First of all, the characters were all pretty
Pam
I received this book from Net Galley for a honest review. Cass always throws the coolest parties and everyone wants an invitation. When five friends get one and are not part of the cool crowd Sarah knows something isn't right. She then finds Cass has invited them to use them in a twisted joke, but someone else has more than a joke in mind for them.

This is an old book that is a reprint. I thought it looked familiar and after I started reading it I realized I had read this years ago as a kid. The
Kirsty Bicknell
When I tried to search for 'The Invitation' on Goodreads to add to my currently reading list I realised it was actually part of an older series of books written by Diane Hoh in the early 1990s. Although the story itself did not feel dated I am not sure if the narrative was revised as the beginning chapters were slow and disjointed, with the characters' accounts blending into each other.
The premise of the story is universal, however, as there will always be a popular clique in any social situatio
Elizabeth B
Mar 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
I had no idea this was part of a series or a reprint. Had I know this I would not have agreed to review it. Coming into a series at book #20 is a little insane (even for the most avid of readers). But the premise grabbed my attention and so I jumped into it and…slowly waded back out. The plot was such a great idea but this book read like “Sweet Valley High” meets “Choose Your Own Adventure”. No update has been done to the characters and everything seems so crazy out of place. The characters may ...more
Pamela (slytherpuff)
See more of my reviews at Bettering Me Up.

I loved Christopher Pike and R.L. Stine books when I was in middle school, so I jumped at the chance to read and review this book. This follows the same format: an event that the "heros" are looking forward to attending; a character who thinks they shouldn't go; and an evil mastermind who verifies the former character's worst fears.

But the format works! This is a good entry into scary novels for the 10- to 12-year-old crowd. Like, softcore gore. It's no
Kate
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pam
Feb 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2012-read
GoodReads Synopsis: Five not-so-popular teens are invited to an annual party given by snooty Cass. Ushered into the mansion, they are soon part of a human scavenger hunt in which they are tied, bound, and hidden. Further victimization includes being heated in a sauna, cooled in a freezer, and nearly asphyxiated by a car's running motor.

My Thoughts: This kind of reminded me of the Lois Duncan fare I grew up on. I read the first 4 or 5 chapters and was pretty accurately able to predict what was go
Paul Kim
Mar 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: diane-hoh
As a quick horror read, it works. I enjoyed the plot as there's a bit of action and some guessing that made the book semi-interesting. The whole bad guy setting up traps does get a bit illogical...
Still, I never let that bother me and go with the flow.

The weakest link is perhaps the characters. The book's structure tends to star various character's pov but so far, all of the characters are stiff as cardboards or uundeveloped to the point that I wish the character do develop but the book's length
LemmiSchmoeker
Jun 19, 2016 rated it liked it
As expected, this is extremely cheap. It turns out to be a prototypical stalker story for teenagers. I won't get into the story here, though almost every twist is announced a dozen pages in advance (with a total page count of less than 170 pages).

Interestingly, this seems to have been slightly rewritten for the British market: not only is the spelling English rather than American, but certain details have been changed as well. Of course this can't work in an American high school setting, but tha
sort of random--character question 1 7 Jul 03, 2008 10:24AM
  • Trick or Treat (Point Horror, #6)
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • The Snowman
  • The Ripper
  • The Phantom
  • Mother's Helper (Point Horror, #14)
  • Freeze Tag
  • Dream Date
  • Prom Dress
  • The Yearbook
Diane Hoh is the author of fifty-seven novels for young adults. She grew up in Warren, Pennsylvania but currently resides in Austin, Texas. Reading and writing are her favorite things, also gardening and grandchildren.