Start by marking “Naughty Words for Nice Writers: A Romance Novel Thesaurus” as Want to Read:
Naughty Words for Nice Writers: A Romance Novel Thesaurus

Naughty Words for Nice Writers: A Romance Novel Thesaurus

If finding the right words for your romantic sex scene is challenging, Naughty Words for Nice Writers can help. USA Today Bestselling Author Cara Bristol has written a thesaurus for romance authors to help you find the appropriate words to make your sex scene sizzle.

Naughty Words for Nice Writers is packed with more than 2,000 usable, functional synonyms geared for roman
Published February 23rd 2015 by Cara Bristol

To ask other readers questions about Naughty Words for Nice Writers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Naughty Words for Nice Writers

Sue Lyndon
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Naughty Words for Nice Writers is an excellent resource for romance writers, particularly those who like to include those yummy extra spicy scenes. It’s organized into categories (body parts, lust, various naughty actions, kissing, etc.) so you’ll be able to find what you’re looking for easily. Writers of spanking fiction will also find a comprehensive listing of words just for them. I’m keeping this book right next to my computer!
Christine
A great resource!
Shari
May 13, 2019 added it
A good collection of words that can get overused and new ones to spice up your writing. More of a reference book than something you want to sit down and read in one setting.
Rosemary Rey
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is a quick read because it's words and phrases (with some guidelines on how to use them) for writing fiction. After revising my recent manuscript, I found myself feeling at a loss for words in romantic scenes. And I felt like I was repeating quite a few of them too. So this gives great insight as to how to manipulate the usage. Additionally, there is a great section for BDSM writers. I liked that.
Pam
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads
LOVE this and will use it regularly!! I'm a librarian and love the written word. So much so that I dabble in the writing process. All my stories are of the Romance genre and I have found it hard not use the same word over and over when writing romantic scenes. This book is so much more than a mere thesaurus and it will be a valuable tool i will return to again and again. I received a digital copy of this through Netgalley and now I have ordered a print edition to put on my writing desk!
Ally Cabella
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A must for romance/erotica writers!

Definitely a must-have for every writer's reference shelf! It's not just for steamy erotica writers. Any scene with intimacy will benefit from this reference book. There's also a great list of words/phrases in general to avoid and why doing so will make your writing that much better.
Mercedes
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book for writers when you're looking for the perfect word.
Eileen Troemel
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bristol broaches a topic not covered by most writers - naughty words! While she includes lists and lists (which is helpful for those who write love / sex scenes, she does it with class, humor, and sincerity. She covers the typical words most writers are looking to expand on without sounding corny but she also covers other topics like spanking and BDSM. The lists are easy to read and refer to. They are organized in a logical way. One topic leads naturally into another. This was a quick read but m ...more
Elodie
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
A nice overview, especially for someone like me who's a non-native and sometimes needs a few suggestions and ideas to avoid using the same phrases over and over. The reason I don’t give 5 stars is the price. The book is barely longer than a novella and consists mostly of verb-lists (and most of them can be simply found on google – yeah we don’t google and buy this book because we’re lazy, but technically these verbs are not new), so every price that’s higher than 2 dollars is surreal in my opini ...more
Christy
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A quick read that will likely be a great reference resource. The A-Z active verbs for sex list is particularly helpful. I appreciate that it includes language for some of the kinkier romantic diversions, but wish it had gone beyond just spanking in the BDSM section. It lists some other ways to dominate but doesn't explore them as thoroughly.
Miss L
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perfect

What a great find. The spanking section...just what i needed. I benefited from the section on what words not to use as I was a big offender of nearly all the rules she wrote on. It's a good tool to have even if romance is not your genre.
Carrow Brown
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love this book as a reference and recommend it to any new romance writers looking to help utilize a variety of words.
Jo Dawson
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice, easy collection to use - I broke with my norm and purchased in paperback instead of ebook so I could highlight and add flags.
Terri Wilson
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have used this book with every story I write. It is very helpful.
Evelyn Montgomery
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just what I needed

This book gave me a list of words I have been needing and tried to compile myself. Great extra for romance writers.
Julie Addicott
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great!

A great book with loads of helpful words and phrases for spicing up your sex scenes. . . . .
Michelle Ferguson
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must have for writing love scenes of all types.

If you are going to write a novel with any level of sex or attraction you need this book right next to you. She covers everything from word substitution, locations, actions, and even tips to improve your writing. I am planning on getting the rest of her books!
Jeané Sashi
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enlightening

I found this book to be both helpful and enlightening, as well as enjoyable. I see better and different usages for words that are overused. Thank you Cara for writing this book and sharing your alternative words.
Erika
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, trashy
I think that this is a great resource for writers, romance/erotica writers in particular. I am a library affiliate member of the RWA and will certainly be recommending this book as reference material at future meetings. I would strongly recommend this to writers who are just getting started, anyone who is intimidated by the prospect of writing sex scenes, and writers who are just trying to shake up repetitive sex scenes. Its informative and to the point. Although some of the material is obvious ...more
Katherine Deane
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic resource!

My favorites are the A-Z Active sex words and the phases of sexual response.

This has so much information packed perfectly into this book.

I've already bookmarked a few pages, including the "words to avoid" section.

I'm so happy to have this within easy reach!
Amy Hunter
Oct 15, 2016
Windsong
Aug 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
USA Today Bestselling Author Cara Bristol writes character driven science fiction romance with humor, heart, and heat. She loves introducing new readers to science fiction romance, and likes to say she writes sci-fi for readers who don’t like sci-fi. When she’s not writing (ha ha ha – she’s almost always writing) she enjoys traveling to exotic destinations and chillaxin’ with her favorite reality ...more