Start by marking “This Must Be the Place” as Want to Read:
This Must Be the Place

This Must Be the Place

“Sean H. Doyle is a punk rock sailor shaman with a message from way down below decks where the guys with horns and hooves go jet skiing on a lake of fire. This Must Be the Place is a ferocious testament to love and loss written with razor blades and backed with blood. An unputdownable debut.”
–Jim Ruland, author of Forest of Fortune

This Must Be the Place is the book of an
Published May 1st 2015 by Civil Coping Mechanisms

To ask other readers questions about This Must Be the Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Must Be the Place

Janie C.
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This author has traversed some rocky topography, and his book speaks directly to the reader without a hint of condescension. Self destructive, heartbroken, yet with endorphins still kicking and screaming, we are right there with him in the fishbowl, determinedly making the rounds. More please, Mr. Doyle.
Rodney
The vignettes in This Must be the Place tell the story of one who is often lost and self-destructive. But there is an undercurrent of grit and courage. Sean Doyle bears it all without question. The love and the damage both run strong. This is what it really means to be human. I was pulled in strongly by this book and could have easily stayed around for many more of the short pieces. I will be waiting for the next book from this author.
Patrick O'Neil
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sean H. Doyle's got these stories, little vignettes of insanity, moments where the the worst train wreck ever goes south into something much darker than a major catastrophe - hell it's a world war of emotions, only he tells them like this kind of shit happens to everyone, like they're everyday occurrences and it's normal when "the bees happen" and your dad says, "burn anything that ever hurts you." Words to live by right? Only that's the proverbial tip of the iceberg, there's more, another story ...more
Juliet Escoria
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Reading This Must Be The Place is like getting mugged, and then once the mugger takes your wallet, they push you on the ground. And then once you’re on the ground, they kick you in the stomach, over and over and over again. And then when you think they’ve finally decided to leave you alone, they kick you once more in the teeth. The only difference is that when Sean H. Doyle is mugging you, the experience is cleansing, invigorating, something that tests your heart but also makes it glow, an exper ...more
Leesa
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sean's writing is a rusty serrated blade. This book is sad and funny and Sean isn't afraid to tell us the truth, even when the truth is the last thing we want to hear. I stayed up past my bedtime to read this all at once and even when I finally turned off the light, I couldn't stop thinking about it. I couldn't stop thinking about Sean and his stories and these little paragraphs and these words and these things and this life and this book. I love him, I love it.
Kevin
A hard-hitting collection of moments, vignettes, and uppercuts from a writer who is bound to just get better. This is a breakout.
D. Foy
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I blurbed this book, with all my heart:

"This Must Be the Place is the book of an orphan in the wake of his delirium struggling to make sense of the loss that caused it. Sean H. Doyle is a walker of fire and slayer of ghouls whose numberless prolonged trials have stripped him of human dross and discrimination alike. Absence is a mentor, in his world, anguish a mold, compassion the reward. If after reading Doyle’s story you don’t fancy him caressing the brow of Despair itself, it won’t be because
Jim
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lost souls searching for a home
Shelves: 2015, small-press
I had the good fortune to blurb this book:

"Sean H. Doyle is a punk rock sailor shaman with a message from way down below decks where the guys with horns and hooves go jet skiing on a lake of fire. This Must Be the Place is a ferocious testament to love and loss written with razor blades and backed with blood. An unputdownable debut.”

The only thing I would add: No bullshit.
Sofia
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reference
Sort of like a less intense form of a part of Happy Baby but without a crushing conceptual thrust. He did do a lot of dumb dangerous fun social shit, though, and maybe that might inspire me to soberly try something of the sort again one day—live a little.

P.S.: If you see this in your readers-also-liked, you'll likely see Black Cloud there, too. Read that, be not dissuaged—become the twilight-elongated nuclear-blast-shadow-on-the-pavement you've always wanted to be, and that the blurb implies fo
Andrea
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm not proud to admit that when I first looked at this book I felt kind of ripped off because it is rather short, but once I started reading I realized this book is deep, and each word matters and resonates. Sean H. Doyle packed a shit-ton of emotion into this little book. Now I know that I got a bargain--reading this book was a fucking privilege.

Ray
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hard-hitting memoir, brutally honest, with not one superfluous word. The chapters fly by so fast the friction of finger turning page nearly reaches flashpoint. The chapters are non-chronological, and bounce from locale to locale, which effectively ratchets up the tension and mirrors the chaos of a difficult life. Highly recommended.
Leah
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am so proud to be Sean H. Doyle's friend. This is a great book and it feels like spending hours talking to someone and listening to them bare their soul to you, and the whole time you're thinking, this is what life is about, this genuine kind of spirit. Way to go Sean!
Kevin Maloney
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Short, powerful chapters that feel like being shot at by a sniper. Brutal honesty and gorgeous prose. Big debut. Can't wait to read more of his work.
Courtney Maum
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very brave. And unapologetic. I gasped at the line "I was the one who locked the doors."
I wish it had been longer.
Bravo, gentle Sean.
Seth
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Unlike most memoirists, Sean Doyle recounts his shocking past without once ever seeming to say "look at me." He's looking at himself, and we're invited along. Usually the story of a frightening and painful life ends with redemption, but this arresting collection of moments omits any in which Sean climbs out of the pile of hurt and saves himself before its too late, none when the person he was turns him into the person he is now. That's because, to Doyle, there is no person he was nor any person ...more
Matt Lewis
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: small-press
A short read with a huge emotional gut-punch. Cataloging random autobiographical jumps in time, we are given the portrait of a modern man; not good, not bad, but a human with the same flaws and fears we all have fighting his way through life. Every scar and mark leaves a story, and it is Sean Doyle's turn to be the Illustrated Man.
Meredith Alling
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's not easy to do hard and tender. Sean did it. This book is like ripping a bandage off then feeling the cool air hit your skin. The wound is still visible, but it's better. It's getting better. It needed to breathe. THIS MUST BE THE PLACE is an exhale.
Sara
Helen McClory
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ouuf

A brilliant flash memoir that shows the power of form and content melded together.
Ben
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There is write and read and memory and love and breathe.

More - http://bentanzer.blogspot.com/2015/06...
Joseph
May 31, 2015 added it
I am bummed that this experience is over.
Jane
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
my favorite pages are 31 and 32 and also 85.
MariNaomi
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
Brutal and sensitive and violent and sweet. I read this book in one sitting, and wished it were two, three, five times as long.
J. Bradley
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Whether he knows it or not, Doyle elevates the flash non-fiction genre with this stunning debut.
David Catney
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2017
i enjoyed this book more than i enjoy most books.
Bill Hsu
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Intense.
Alyssa
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
[Book Riot Read Harder Challenge 2017] *Read a book published by a micro-press* CCM Civil Coping Mechanisms
Robert Vaughan
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is harrowing, a punk rock paean to our limiting human experience. The vital, raw, harsh tenderness of what it means to be alive. What it means to be a man. Survival. Over and over while devouring these words, I had to remind myself to breathe. I was holding my breath because of its brilliance, because of its beautifully, raw impact.
Bethany Ball
  • Witchita Stories
  • Stories V!
  • Wedlocked: A Memoir
  • A Jello Horse
Sean H. Doyle lives in Brooklyn, NY. He works hard every day to be a better person and is learning how to love himself more.