Start by marking “The Curse of the Brimstone Contract (The Steampunk Detectives, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Curse of the Brimstone Contract (The Steampunk Detectives, #1)

The Curse of the Brimstone Contract

(The Steampunk Detectives #1)

Magic—and love—balanced on the tip of a needle…

The Steampunk Detectives, Book 1

Magic existed at the fringes until Prince Albert discovered he was a mage. Now he and others like him are leading a revolution in steam technology that’s held tight in the grip of the upper classes.

A man of half-Indian heritage, rejected by his upper-crust, mage-gifted family, Gregor Sherringfor
Published April 2015 by Samhain Publishing (first published April 22nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Curse of the Brimstone Contract, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Curse of the Brimstone Contract

Start your review of The Curse of the Brimstone Contract (The Steampunk Detectives, #1)
Marlene
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This joint review was originally published at The Book Pushers

E: I have enjoyed reading murder mysteries from a rather young age so when I read this blurb and saw that it contained murder, magic, private investigators, dreams for the future, and love I had to give The Curse of the Brimstone Contract a try. I am glad that I did because I completely enjoyed reading this first installment and I am looking forward to seeing what Lawson creates as this series goes forward.

Marlene: I saw the words ste
Darla Stokes
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely wonderful. Mixing magic, Sherlock Holmes, and a strong, intelligent heroine makes for an entertaining, page-turning read. I particularly enjoyed the combination of mythology, Holmes canon, and originality.

Very different from Lawson's other books, but she never disappoints.
David Beem
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: steampunk
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. I didn't have low expectations, I've just never read a steampunk mystery before and didn’t know what to expect. The setting is given skillfully. The reader is never overwhelmed by how the fictional environment works. (Eg. magic as the driver of the steampunk technology, class tiers, etc.)

The characters are brilliantly written and I loved spending time with them. The protagonist (Joan Cohen) is a Jewish woman who clings to her heritage b
J. Kevin
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A satisfying mix of detective story, alternate history, supernatural thriller, and intense romance. A diverse cast of multi-layered characters and some clever world-building involving the intersection of technology, magic, and class warfare. Joan the seamstress and Gregor the detective are a classic romantic duo, striking sparks from the moment they meet -- you know that they'll work out their differences and end up together, but the fun is seeing how they get there. Happily, Joan is no mewling ...more
C.A. King
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Steampunk... hmmm... I have to admit I don't read a lot of it. I actually think this is my second. I have to admit that is mainly because I never fully understood the hype around the genre. Having said that, I found Lawson's version a wake up call. I have been guilty of genre neglect based on my own preconceived notions on what was to be expected.

The Curse of the Brimstone Contract: The Steampunk Detectives, Book 1 is an amazing world filled with magic and mystery I am glad I didn't miss. Joan
Fabia Scali-Warner
I loved the world building in this book. A Victorian England where magic is the engine of the steampunk setting, and social conflict brewing as control of over magic is revealed as the pathway to wealth and power. I enjoyed a Sherlock Holmes kind of detective finding his match in a strong female lead, and how finding out the truth doesn't necessarily mean a happy ending. Family dynamics play a strong role for several, well-defined characters and I look forward to reading more of the series, alth ...more
Elizabeth Eckert
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My first steampunk novel, I had no idea what to expect, and am not entirely sure if I know what steampunk is lol
However, this novel was quite delightful! Joan and Gregor are engaging characters who are easy to like.
The writing quality has great flow, intrigue and is void of any editing errors. The character descriptions are great and I liked the toe-dip in what could turn out to be an interesting romance. I found the ending was very well done and not what I expected!
Overall, a wonderful novel!!
Dorothea Lynne
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Curse of the Brimstone Contract was my first introduction to a steampunk novel. I really enjoyed it. It was a fun read. I think the author created a wonderful balance between fantasy, mystery and romance. The characters were well written. Joan was my favorite. I loved that she was a strong woman in that time period. I enjoyed the ending and look forward to more. If you are looking for a fun, unique read...check this novel out.
J.B. Trepagnier
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've actually never read a steampunk book before, but I fell in love with this book the more I read it. It intertwines what I know of the steampunk genre and Jewish folklore and mythology almost seamlessly. Joan is a strong female MC and a feminist for her time. I really liked Joan. Gregor is mysterious and sexy, but quite useful.

I'm eager to read book 2 if it's out and if it's not, I'll be sure to pick it up once it is
Cathy
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful description of people and their magical powers

I made a mistake and read the second book of this series, first ; no wonder I was lost at first!! I really liked the way this book made a girl who was known for her exceptional sewing ability into someone who had magic of her own and didn't realize it .
Silvia Zanna
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a great fan of detective stories, but I was curious about steampunk, so I decided to give it a try and I really liked the book! ...more
Riley
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mystery, magic, adventure and romance mixed to precise and perfect proportions make Corrina Lawson's The Curse of the Brimstone Contract one of my new favorites.

Steampunk is one of my genres of choice. So I am always on the lookout for a something new in that classification. The Curse of the Brimstone Contract fits the bill very nicely. Steam power makes machines run in 19th century London. But magic makes the wheels of commerce turn. Only the upper class possesses mage power and the nobility w
Maya
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I spent an afternoon ignoring what I was supposed to be doing and devouring this book. It is a super fun roller coaster ride in a richly developed world filled with magic and Victorian influenced politics (this is Steampunk after all!).

The story centers around Joan Krieger, a talented dress designer who wants to revolutionize women's fashion. She finds herself and her family business embroiled in controversy because a rich client died while wearing one of her designs and the culprit just be magi
Melindeeloo
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars = I liked it. Seamstress Joan Krieger is on the verge of success, her patroness loves Joan's radical new votwing designs and is about to take the new driving outfit for a whirl when tragedy strikes and an the unfortunate accident occurs involving one of the accessories. But having witnessed the event with her own eyes Joan believes that magic is involved and determined to fund the truth, Joan approaches consulting detective Gregory Sherringford in hopes of saving her family business, w ...more
Lila

Prior release of this book I read this interesting post author made and I was sold after reading one particular line:

"Gregor Sherringford, the hero of Curse of the Brimstone Contract, is my steampunk Batman. He was obviously inspired by the Dark Knight but also by Sherlock Holmes, as played by Benedict Cumberbatch in the new Sherlock television show."

This combo?
This has to be the best combo ever.
Made of awesome.

Now, I already love to read steampunk, but when you tell me something like that,
E.
“The Curse of the Brimstone Contract” is the first in ‘The Steampunk Detectives’ series by Corrina Lawson. This intriguing tale centers around Joan Krieger, whose family business is threatened by a series of uncanny fates for those who have purchased their custom-made clothing. Desperate to save their livelihood, Joan contacts Gregor Sherringford, a consulting detective who has lofty connections and an uncanny ability to ferret out information. Pooling their abilities will be essential since the ...more
Perry
Aug 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I liked it, anyone who follows Sherlock Holmes will enjoy this read. Pace is slow but steady and really enjoyed Joan and Gregor as the story progressed. Interesting premise, love the mix of steampunk and magic defining classes. The only reason I gave three stars instead of four is it needed a little something more to really grab you and drag you into the story. I would like to give a shout out to Corrina Lawson and thank her for the book, as I was a winner in the recent giveaway. Keep up the goo ...more
Sharon Price
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Steam punk in nature, this book reminds one of a Jules Verne meets Sherlock Holmes. No explicit sex. Meets and in a few instances, exceeds the conventional expectations of the genre. A good introduction for Young Adult readers. Just misses being predictable in nature. If the story is important and you prefer no explicit sex in your books, this is the book for you. Do not be put off by the fact that it is published by Samhain Publishing.
Cecilia Dominic
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a really fun steampunk book with a unique heroine and a mysterious hero who is reminiscent of Sherlock Holmes but with slightly better social skills. I liked that the heroine was Jewish and the author's incorporation of Eastern European lore. I was excited to see it's the first in a series and hope the author writes more soon. ...more
Jacqueline
This book had such great potential and I really wanted to like it more.
Sadly I found Joan to be... well frustrating, I suppose, there's that whole getting all flustered because a man she fancies, strokes a strand of her hair! Seriously? Anyway, character conversations were, in my opinion, wooden. Though the plot was good, overall it was a bit disappointing.
Sabine Priestley
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a seriously enjoyable read. I prefer my heat level to sizzle and this is sweet, but I loved it. The writing is pretty tight, with minimal errors. The physicality got messed up a few times (for example someone sat when they’d already sat). I love the way Corrina writes, she has a strong voice that really works for me. Highly suggest!
Stephanie
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a seriously enjoyable read. I prefer my heat level to sizzle and this is sweet, but I loved it. The writing is pretty tight, with minimal errors, but the physicality was messed up a few times (for example someone sat when they’d already sat). I love the way Corrina writes, she has a strong voice that really works for me. Highly suggest!
Inhabiting Books
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a fun way to start off my 2016 reading! I've had this in my Kindle library for a long time, and I'm only sorry I didn't get to it sooner. It kept me interested from beginning to end. I definitely need to check into more books by this author. ...more
Julie
Aug 13, 2015
Kate Small
May 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

• Warrior Wench (The Asarlaí Wars, #1)
  • Free-Wrench (Free-Wrench #1)
  • Legacy (The Niteclif Evolutions, #1)
  • Victorious Dead (The Asarlaí Wars #2)
  • Rex (Albaterra Mates, #1)
  • The Obsidian Chimera (The Lost Ancients, #2)
  • The Emerald Dragon (The Lost Ancients Book, #3)
  • The Glass Gargoyle (The Lost Ancients, #1)
  • Alien Healer (Zerconian Warriors, #13)
  • Glass Cage
  • Taming Her Mountain Man: Older Man/Curvy Girl Romance (Bear's Tooth Mountain Men Book 1)
  • Birth of an Empire: Homecoming (Xarrok Series, #3)
  • The Sapphire Manticore (The Lost Ancients #4)
  • From Dust (Portland ME, #1)
  • Lev (Shot Callers, #1)
  • Men Of Honor Series Box Set (Men of Honor, #1-4)
  • Exposed (Tribute Brides Of The Drexian Warriors, #3)
  • The Golden Basilisk (The Lost Ancients #5)
Writer, Mom, Geek & Superhero, Corrina Lawson is the author of the superhero romance series, the Phoenix Institute, and the alternate history Seneca series, in which Romans and Vikings have settled in ancient North America.
She is also co-founder and Content Director for GeekMom.com and a mother of four, including twins.