Start by marking “Doppelt oder Nichts (Star Trek - The Next Generation: Doppelhelix #5)” as Want to Read:
Doppelt oder Nichts (Star Trek - The Next Generation: Doppelhelix #5)

Doppelt oder Nichts

(Star Trek: Double Helix #5)

Seit mehr als einem Jahrzehnt, seit Beginn der Mission des Raumschiffes Enterprise, haben unbekannte Feinde eine Reihe tödlicher biologischer Waffen im Alpha-Quadranten freigesetzt und damit schreckliche Epidemien bei den Romulanern, Cardassianern, Bajoranern und sogar der Föderation verursacht. Nun endlich verbündet sich Captain Jean-Luc Picard mit Captain Mackenzie Calho ...more
Published October 4th 2012 by Cross Cult (first published August 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Doppelt oder Nichts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doppelt oder Nichts

Start your review of Doppelt oder Nichts (Star Trek - The Next Generation: Doppelhelix #5)
Jim Cooper
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Good story. Didn’t care about the James Bond-type stuff that much. The Riker part of the story kind of got cut short I thought. Great first half.

Excluding audiobooks, this is the 200th book I’ve read since college.
David Palazzolo
Overall, Double or Nothing (Double Helix 5, New Frontier 8) is not a bad entry but it did have more than its fair share of problems. Perhaps I am feeling a little too critical about this book because it was the reason I decided to read the other books in the Double Helix series and wasn't always too happy with most of them either. We'll see.

The novel opens up with what seems to be a heavily padded flashback sequence from Capt Mackenzie Calhoun's undercover operative days. When we come back to th
Craig
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
Well I always liked it best when Peter David was writing TNG and not focusing on the New Frontier. Here we have a mix of both with Riker taking command of the Excalibur and Calhoun and (spoiler alert - thought the reveal is ruined by the cover) Picard are off on a secret mission. It is interesting to see the culmination of all the previous books coming to this point and I found it odd that it was a New Frontier style of novel that did it. Calhoun, I find, is always more interesting when he is aw ...more
Greg
Sep 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So the Star Trek franchise holders, Paramount, have some rules for all their Star Trek fan competition entries, two of which are: No "Mary Sue" characters; and must be centred on the main characters. It's interesting then that this official novel broke both those rules.

Not only is this the least interesting of the novels so far, it also an uninteresting story in general with some annoying new characters. Bergeron, or whatever your name is, I'm talking about you. Too much was devoted to this unin
Crystal Bensley
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A definite action movie vibe - one of my favourite Double Helix books although I can't see how the sixth book will go
Fiona
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like the part about Riker and Shelby and all this "is Riker worth something for himself or just because he was on the Enterprise with Picard"-stuff really annoyed me, especially because the characters didn't reflect on themselves. In the end they all got along but it felt more like because you could not have a happy end and querreling Star Felt members...

But the rest of the story was entertaining. A lot action but I had fun reading.
Leila P
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, in-english
It was entertaining enough, Peter David is one of the better Star Trek authors. While I was reading the book, I kept wondering why there's Picard on the cover and why does the back say "Captain Jean-Luc Picard joins forces with Captain Mackenzie Calhoun" - because Picard was nowhere. Finally he did appear: page 217 (in a book of 277 pages). A little bit confusing, I would say.
David
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
One of the best of Peter David's New Frontier series. Nearly impossible to put down. Picard and Calhoun!
Patrick
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the best of the series so far, but Peter David REALLY likes his characters. All the action and humor I've come to expect from one of my favorite authors.
Michelle Hanson
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was pretty good.
Chuck
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unconvincing story and world construction.

It's rare in the extreme that I dislike a book by this author, but this one is barely recognizable as his work. I'd forgotten who the author was until the very end. The many callbacks to Trek canon are initially welcome but feel forced all too often. Some attempts at character development but they end up unsatisfying and in at least one case, feeling arbitrary. It's a tolerable work but not one I'll reread.
Sean Randall
Mar 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this fifth instalment of the series, Peter David takes the helm and guides us to a thrilling, climactic battle as The General's plans for destroying all sentient life in the federation come to a head. The Double helix virus, so patiently tested, perfected and proliferated through four previous titles is finally ready to be used on something of a larger scale...

But, in typical fashion, Captain Mackenzie Calhoun is alive and kicking - and as luck (or at least a covert branch of Starfleet Intell
Paul
Feb 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
PLOT OR PREMISE:
This is the fifth in the series about a vengeful attack on the universe by an "unknown" assailant who uses biological weapons to wipe out races in the Federation. This book puts Riker on the Excalibur, dealing with Shelby et al; Mackenzie on a secret undercover mission to infiltrate the assailant's lair; and, Picard undercover to do the same thing, eventually linking up with Mackenzie.
WHAT I LIKED:
There are a series of one-liners with Shelby and Riker that are occasionally funny
Villain E
May 07, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, space
Note: I didn't read the rest of the double-helix event. I read this because I'm reading the New Frontier series. And, while this says it's TNG, it's really a New Frontier book.

The book opens with a James-Bond-ish scene of Mackenzie Calhoun in his secret agent days, stopping a bad guy and rescuing a girl. Then in the present, the same bad guy is still alive and up to no good. Commander Riker is on a ship which gets into a fight with some rogue Romulans, and then gets rescued by the Excalibur. The
Jimyanni
Jul 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
The "Double Helix" series, that is. Far from the best in the "Next Generation" series. This seems to wrap up the "Double Helix" series; I think book 6 of 6 is a prequel, showing the beginnings of the story (which couldn't be shown before, since to do so would have been to give away the identity of the mysterious "Mr. Big" creating the Double Helix virus, which wasn't revealed in the series until this book. This book had better action than any of the previous "Double Helix" books, although the wr ...more
Joshua Palmatier
Jun 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peter David generally delivers a good Star Trek book, and this is no exception. The back cover claims that it features Calhoun and Picard, but in actuality it's mostly Calhoun's book. Well written, lots of action, great humor--an enjoyable book overall. Surprisingly, it "ends" the action in the current time period, even though it's the fifth book in the series. Apparently, the sixth book jumps back to where it all began. I'm looking forward to it.
Shannon Appelcline
David's scripting generally shines, but is held back by the heavy weight of what appears to be a hackneyed crossover. I only read this book in the series, but I'm pretty sure that if I read the others, they'd get lower ratings.
Angela
A fast paced book that brings to conclusion the very long 'Double Helix' series. It's a straight forward tale that involves Enterprise crew and those from the book series in finding out the final planfor the virus. A good read.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
Double Helix was great, but the New Frontier crew made it better.
Jerry
Nov 25, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is where the series "jumped the shark". For more, see my review of the entire series:

K
Claire
Jun 07, 2010
Kenya M.
Nov 04, 2014

• The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard #1)
  • Death in Winter (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Sarek
  • Agents of Influence
  • I, Q
  • The Captain's Oath
  • Perchance to Dream (Star Trek: The Next Generation #19)
  • My Enemy, My Ally (Star Trek: Rihannsu, #1)
  • Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #3)
  • Star Trek Insurrection
  • The White Boy Shuffle
  • Ancient Blood (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Day of Honor, #1)
  • Star Trek: Ongoing, Volume 6: After Darkness
  • The Battle of Betazed (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Armageddon Sky (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Day of Honor #2)
  • Hollow Men (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Nemesis
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
aka David Peters

Peter Allen David (often abbreviated PAD) is an American writer, best known for his work in comic books and Star Trek novels. David often jokingly describes his occupation as "Writer of Stuff". David is noted for his prolific writing, characterized by its mingling of real world issues with humor and references to popular culture. He also uses metafiction frequently, usually to hum

Star Trek: Double Helix (6 books)
  • Infection (Star Trek: Double Helix, #1)
  • Vectors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #52; Double Helix, #2)
  • Red Sector (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #53; Double Helix, #3)
  • Quarantine (Star Trek: Double Helix, #4)
  • The First Virtue (Star Trek: Double Helix, #6)

News & Interviews