Start by marking “Quarantäne (Star Trek - The Next Generation: Doppelhelix #4)” as Want to Read:
Quarantäne (Star Trek - The Next Generation: Doppelhelix #4)

Quarantäne

(Star Trek: Double Helix #4)

Tom Riker, ein identisches Duplikat des Ersten Offiziers der Enterprise, dient nun als medizinischer Kurier der Sternenflotte, als er auf eine Gruppe von Maquis-Überläufern trifft, angeführt von einem ehemaligen Sternenflottenoffizier namens Chakotay. Ein Planet in der Entmilitarisierten Zone, der nun von den Cardassianern kontrolliert wird, wurde von der gleichen tödliche ...more
Published October 1st 2012 by Cross Cult (first published July 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Quarantäne, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quarantäne

Start your review of Quarantäne (Star Trek - The Next Generation: Doppelhelix #4)
Scott Miller
In Vornholt I may have found my least favorite author of Star Trek lit. I TRUDGED through this, only because I wanted to read Peter David's volume five of this series. I didn't care what happened, the characters and dialogue did not ring true, and I was not a fan of the writing.
W
May 22, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Among all the Star Trek series,The Next Generation (TNG) remains my favourite.It had plenty of memorable characters and did not suffer from the budgetary constraints of the original series.It got a seven season run and remained interesting.

However,I have yet to read a decent book in this series.This one features a duplicate of William Riker,called Tom Riker.I like Ricker,but this story went nowhere,a snoozefest.

Even the story of a virus,a pandemic and quarantine couldn't liven it up.

(1.5 stars,r
Patrick
May 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one was the weakest of the series so far. muddles plot, lack of resolution and unlikable characters made this book pretty tough to get through. I expected better from this author.
David Palazzolo
Again we have another decent Star Trek book and again one that I'm not entirely happy with. I do not know why I did not like this one as much as I thought I should have except that it may have been too long. We have in this novel the sort of things I like about Trek books--minor, yet intriguing characters that needed more fleshing out from the TV series, and a spotlight on events that happened off camera (like the circumstances surrounding Tom Riker's joining the Maquis). However, at the end, I ...more
Kevin
Sep 26, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When I first began reading this I thought that I just didn't like stories using the characters from the "new" Star Trek series. But as I got toward the end I began to say to myself phrases such as "Huh?", "That doesn't make sense", "Where did that come from". So perhaps I was wrong. Maybe I just didn't like this writer. I'll still finish the six-book series, but this book was by far the weakest so far.
Angela
This book explains why Tom Riker joined the MArquis, it also spotlights on 3 of the voyaer crew. Again not really a TNG book. The Marquis find a planet in the DMZ that has a plague and nobody is doing anything to help, they decide to do what they can. An interesting story, with a different type of alien species (where blending is everything). A good read but not a TNG book.
Liz
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Tom Riker, Chakotay, B'Elanna and the Maquis...who aren't looking for anything mindblowing
Not a bad read, but a big missed opportunity. This book not only tells us how Tom Riker joined the Maquis, but places him in the lead trio alongside Chakotay and B'Elanna... but barely has them interact, and tells us virtually nothing new about any of these characters. To boot, the main plot was mind-bogglingly boring.

On the other hand, it was a nice quick read, and there was nothing in it that I found "wrong." Tuvok's dialogue was odd, but I could chalk it up to his winning espionage skills. (
Craig
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
I think I would rate this one 3.5 stars if I could because it is a little better than the ones I usually rate 3 stars but I just couldn't justify four. I think this started off really well with Tom Riker dealing with living in the shadow of his other self and trying to find a niche for himself in the galaxy. I enjoyed how he found the Maquis and that whole plot line. It's the convoluted and boring stuff on Helena that really lost me. All the diplomacy stuff they had to do was uninteresting and a ...more
Caryn Smith
So, the plot does involve the virus a lot more than book 3. But it could easily have been interchanged with any other reason that would cause conflict. Not too bad, an interesting society on the planet in question but there was no cure sought or found. Not even really attempted. If you're reading this for the science, nope. If you're reading this for the politics and reactions to pandemics and travel restrictions it isn't too bad.
Fiona
Mar 14, 2020 rated it liked it
This book of the series involves the later Voyager crew members from the Maquis. I was quite happy about that because I like Chakotay and Tuvok a lot. Also starring is Tom Riker. I liked the idea to bring this character in as one of the main protagonists.
The plot about the virus and how it was cured was not as good and gripping as in the books before, but this was the forth one of the series, of course the resolution would be easier.
Mike McDevitt
Apr 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back on track to an epic crossover about an interstellar plague. I like this Chakotay- throwing himself into disasters Starfleet won’t touch and trying to save lives. Thomas Riker is well served by this tale, too, even if his backwash pipe-surfing island escape makes no sense to me. Torres’ whirlwind mid-plague seduction into high society is likewise kind of insane, but are you not entertained?
Ben
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in this series. I’ve already given all my praise. Let’s hope the last two hold up just as well!
David
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this one!
Sean Randall
Mar 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Meeting a Maquis captain isn't usually considered a great honor."

This brilliantly written book charts another instance of the dreaded double helix disease from the unlikeliest of viewpoints - Chakotay, during his time with the maquis. Clearly, the bulk of this thing takes place before Voyager's pilot, and all the usual suspects (Torres, Tuvok, Seska etc) are firmly in place. Seeing the Maquis on Humanitarian work not involving themselves is a far cry from their televised portrayal as well as th
Joshua Palmatier
This book was better than I thought it would be. Like I said on the previous book in this series, Star Trek books can be hit or miss and I expected this one to be a miss. It wasn't. Not as good as book 3 in the series, but much better than the first two books. The only downside of this novel is that there really wasn't much focus on the actual plague that was the genesis of the series. It's there, but I didn't see any real advancement of the plague plot, such as who's behind it, or how they're g ...more
Jimyanni
Apr 01, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Not a bad story, it suffers from the fact that I was getting tired of the series by book 2 of 6. If I had read it as a stand-alone, I would probably have rated it four stars; it's a tolerable genre story telling the beginning of Tom Riker's association with the Maquis; it has action, drama, and characterization, but as book four of six in a series that really has no business being a six-book series, it suffers on the originality front, as well as the predictability front.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
The Double Helix set was one of the first group of ST novels I read...they must be good, because I've read a couple hundred since.
Jerry
Nov 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
See my review of the entire series here:

D Scott
Julie Eik
Nov 22, 2013
Eddie Gert
May 21, 2019

• The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard #1)
  • Her Klingon Soul: Day of Honor #3
  • Magnificent Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: Destined
  • The Two-Front War (Star Trek: New Frontier, #3)
  • The Captain's Daughter
  • The Battle of Betazed (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Baegum X-2 /بیگم ایکس ٹو (Imran Series, #81)
  • Agents of Influence
  • Fire on High (Star Trek: New Frontier, #6)
  • The Captain's Oath
  • Sarek
  • Constitution (Star Trek: My Brother's Keeper, #2)
  • Perchance to Dream (Star Trek: The Next Generation #19)
  • Day of Honor (Star Trek Voyager)
  • Engines of Destiny
  • Armageddon Sky (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Day of Honor #2)
  • The Antares Maelstrom
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
John Vornholt also writes as Caroline Goode.

Star Trek: Double Helix (6 books)
  • Infection (Star Trek: Double Helix, #1)
  • Vectors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #52; Double Helix, #2)
  • Red Sector (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #53; Double Helix, #3)
  • Double or Nothing (Star Trek: Double Helix, #5)
  • The First Virtue (Star Trek: Double Helix, #6)

News & Interviews