Start by marking “Roter Sektor (Star Trek - The Next Generation: Doppelhelix #3)” as Want to Read:
Roter Sektor (Star Trek - The Next Generation: Doppelhelix #3)

Roter Sektor

(Star Trek: Double Helix #3)

Ein künstliches Virus hat die gesamte romulanische Herrscherfamilie infiziert. Botschafter Spock muss seine Vereinigungsbemühungen beiseite schieben und seinen alten Freund Dr. Leonard McCoy zu sich rufen. Dieser entdeckt die einzige Hoffnung auf ein Heilmittel in einem lange verschollen geglaubten romulanischen Erben, dessen Blut und Gewebe noch nicht vom Virus verseucht ...more
Paperback, deutsche Erstausgabe, 342 pages
Published May 16th 2012 by CrossCult, Ludwigsburg (first published July 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Roter Sektor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roter Sektor

Start your review of Roter Sektor (Star Trek - The Next Generation: Doppelhelix #3)
Amy
Apr 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
As others have said, definitely not a next gen book. Crusher and Data are supporting characters but that's it. Spock is more prevalent but still the main character and most of the supporting characters are original.
I'm leery of trek books that focus heavily on OCs but this one wasn't bad. It was slow going at first and I thought it would be a long journey but once (view spoiler) things picked up.
This could be read stand alone but would be better enjoyed if read
Amanda
I was hoping that Spock and McCoy would have a bigger part, especially since they're on the cover. Also, the story seemed to be more about Stiles and Sevron than the virus.
Sean Randall
Mar 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I don't mind being dead, but being dead for nothing stinks."

So says then Ensign Eric Stiles, unlikeliest of heroes. Eric was sent into a volatile political mess to evacuate an ambassador and an embassy no longer welcome. Things turned rough, and Eric winds up a prisoner with none but a Romulan companion, who despite all the odds, turns out to be one of the best things for him. The two make quite a team.

"Look what you and I have done here, with tricks and dirt and screwdrivers. I explain what I'
Bernard
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: startrekkin
This book is a journey of one man. At the beginning of the novel he is but an ensign in charge of extracting Ambassador Spock from a world in political turmoil, and it does not go the way he intends. The first part of the book is about his life after that mission goes awry, and how he grows up from a young, unsure-of-himself officer to a hardened man. The second part of the book sees him take on a new challenge that is intertwined with the Double Helix plot, of which this book is part 3 of 6.

Wit
Jimyanni
Mar 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This is a pretty fair to middling Star Trek story, much better than usual for Diane Carey in the she MOSTLY resists the temptation to get overly cute with the language (except for her pathological inablility to use the phrase "he said", and her tendancy to really reach sometimes to avoid it.) This allows her to concentrate on character, plot, and pacing, which are usually her strong suits as a writer. None of the three are as good in this book as she has sometimes been, but none are bad, either. ...more
Craig
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
Oh God I'm done! How in the world does Carey keep getting put into these different events? I keep having to read her crap to follow the story along although this one spent so much time building up a Lt. Piper clone and his character that the narrative, and the characters we actually want to read about, are again lost behind this hip, cool, take-no-crap-from-anybody, joke of a character who should just admit to themselves that they love Spock and want to have his babies. There was a small trickle ...more
Josiah
Plot: C
Writing: D-
Vocabulary: D
Level: Easy
Rating: PG13
Worldview: Good people vs bad people

Caryn Smith
Devin Copes
Nov 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't finish it, it's that bad, which is a shame because the first 2 books in this series were quite enjoyable. Most of the book, that I was able to get through, focused on Stiles, a descendant of the character from "Balance of Terror". He is completely unlikable. If Spock hadn't been in it, though he's very out of character in this, I would have had to check the cover to make sure it was a Star Trek book. This one is a very easy skip for any Trek fan.
Rachel
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This was a good read. I liked the character of Stiles and getting to see him grow up. This only advanced the overall series plot a little. I'm hoping the next one will give some more clues as to what is going on.
David
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
One of the best Star Trek novels that I've yet read. McCoy and Spock are the featured players but Ensign Eric Styles is the lead and he's a great guy to spend some time with.
Ben
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great addition to the Double Helix series of Star Trek novels. Recommended for anyone interested in fiction and Star Trek!
Paul
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
PLOT OR PREMISE:
This is the third of six books dealing with biological terrorism by an unknown foe. This novel focuses heavily on two known characters (a great portrayal of Spock and an annoying version of McCoy), and introduces a really interesting character -- Ensign Eric Stiles. Stiles is assigned to evacuate Spock and friends from a planet in turmoil, but Stiles gets captured during the otherwise successful mission. Subsequent imprisonment for four years has a definite effect on Stiles and h
Joshua Palmatier
May 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first two book in this series were rather . . . uninspiring, let's say. Entertaining, easy to read, and fun in a sense, but I didn't get caught up in them.

Not so for this book. Diane Carey has crafted an actual story here, one that's ostensibly about the virus that is plaguing the Romulan royalty, but is in actuality about Eric Stiles and his trials, coming to terms with himself, his family, his career in Starfleet, and his friendship forged by adversity with a fellow Romulan prisoner.

A very
Mike McDevitt
It’s a pain-wracked tale of tortured prisoners and combat tenders (not chicken tenders, sadly). Also, sadly, a marketing fail. The multi-prion virus is an afterthought. Was the Romulan royal family even saved despite that being the Enterprise-D’s whole reason for becoming barely involved? The book shouldn’t be part of the Double Helix Saga, and it doesn’t want to have a ST:TNG imprint on it, either. The story seems to begrudge even being in the right year: references to Deep Space Nine place it ...more
David Palazzolo
Sep 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really tempted to give Red Sector a 5 star review, but could not because it seemed to me that Diane Carey was more interested in writing a pilot adventurel for a new Trek novel series rather than writing the third part of the Double Helix story arc. Now, that's not to say that I wouldn't want to read the further adventures of Lt Cdr Eric Stiles and the CST Saskatoon, but I would have liked to find out more on our mysterious bio-terrorist and what put a bug up his posterior.

Angela
This is not really a TNG book, it's just set during that time. It concentrates on a young ensign and his friendship with Ambassador Spock. This is a really good book because it covers the life of a prisoner of war very well, only reason I gave it 3 stars is that its not TNG. Should just have been a general star trek book.
Jerry
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
See my review of the entire series here:

Bev
Love this one...but I always love ones where McCoy gets more game time. He's my favorite Trek character
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
All of the Double Helix books are great.
Selina
Mark
Jun 19, 2019
Melissa
Apr 29, 2010

• The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard #1)
  • Death in Winter (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Spock's World
  • My Enemy, My Ally (Star Trek: Rihannsu, #1)
  • The Two-Front War (Star Trek: New Frontier, #3)
  • The Romulan Way (Star Trek: Rihannsu, #2)
  • The Captain's Oath
  • Relics
  • Save Yourself
  • Five Fall Into Adventure (The Famous Five, #9)
  • Magnificent Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: Destined
  • Imzadi (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Imzadi #1)
  • Five Get Into Trouble (Famous Five, #8)
  • Sarek
  • Star Trek Insurrection
  • Perchance to Dream (Star Trek: The Next Generation #19)
  • Interphase, Part 2 (Star Trek: S.C.E., #5)
  • A Choice of Catastrophes
Diane Carey also wrote the Distress Call 911 young adult series under the name D.L. Carey.

Diane Carey is primarily a science fiction author best known for her work in the Star Trek franchise. She has been the lead-off writer for two Star Trek spin-off book series: Star Trek The Next Generation with Star Trek: Ghost Ship, and the novelization of the Star Trek: Enterprise pilot, Broken Bow.

For more

Star Trek: Double Helix (6 books)
  • Infection (Star Trek: Double Helix, #1)
  • Vectors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #52; Double Helix, #2)
  • Quarantine (Star Trek: Double Helix, #4)
  • Double or Nothing (Star Trek: Double Helix, #5)
  • The First Virtue (Star Trek: Double Helix, #6)

News & Interviews