Start by marking “Deadly Peril (Alec Halsey Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Deadly Peril (Alec Halsey Mystery, #3)

Deadly Peril

(Alec Halsey Mystery #3)

Winter 1763. Alec, Lord Halsey is sent on a diplomatic mission to Midanich, imperial outpost of the Holy Roman Empire, to bargain for the freedom of imprisoned friends. Midanich is a place of great danger and dark secrets; a country at civil war; ruled by a family with madness in its veins. For Alec it is a place of unspeakable memories from which he barely escaped and vow ...more
ebook
Published November 6th 2015 by Sprigleaf

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Peril, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Peril

Ingie
Review written January 18, 2016

4.4 Stars - Great Halsey adventures every time. My like!

Book #3

I've without exaggeration waited so much (since November) for this new third book to also be published as an audiobook (with my top favorite male narrator). Then last Thursday I checked again, and #3-Deadly Peril was there to be downloaded. — 11:45 hrs narrated by Alex Wyndham.

Happy danced already before I started and it was the right thing to do. This new installment was greatly good as always. I enjo
Lady Wesley
February 9, 2016
My first blurb. Thank you Lucinda Brant my first blurb photo my first book blurb.jpg

January 1, 2016
One of my five 2015 favorites on Romantic Historical Reviews. Please follow the link to see favorites from Caz, Wendy, Claudia, Natalie, Sara, and moi.

Last year, I recommended Grace Burrowes’ entire Captive Hearts trilogy, as I could not pick a favorite from among them, and this year I find myself in a similar quandary. Lucinda Brant, whose books are set in Georgian England, has published three series, but I think the very b
Caz
I've given this an A- at AAR, so 4.5 stars rounded up.

Deadly Peril, the third of Lucinda Brant’s Georgian era Alec Halsey Mysteries, is possibly the best yet. And that’s saying something, because the preceding books - Deadly Engagement and Deadly Affair are both excellent, engrossing reads boasting tightly written, well thought-out plots, a colourful and strongly drawn cast of characters, a bitter-sweet romance and, of course, a compelling hero in the form of Alec Halsey himself. Urbane, handso
Lady Wesley
Yes! The Alex Wyndham audio is finally here! If you love Alec Halsey in print, just imagine hearing him as voiced by the delectable Alex Wyndham. Just wonderful!

Learn more about this series. Click here for my five-star review of this book.
Mei
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I had such a great expectations for this book, maybe too much...

No, I'm not disappointed, but I was expecting something more.

In this book it's Alec's turn to be exposed. And that part was very interesting and mysterious until the very end.

But, I found tedious all the descriptions of how they're dressed. On almost every page there's some description of cloth, wigs, shoes... I got it thet they're rich and thus very well dressed!

Also, as I said in my review of the previous book, I know that those
Karen
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 STARS I'm thinking I liked this one just a wee bit more! xx
Wendy
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Where to begin - bloody marvellous is a good start!

The story begins with a death scene "The bed chamber was darkened and airless. The odour of stale urine, bloody phlegm, and medicinal, pervasive", which sets the stage for a witty, intriguing, atmospherically dark tale, rounded off with a soul deep romance.

Deadly Peril, the third in the Alec Halsey series, is an incredibly well written Georgian historical mystery, with an accompanying romance. Set in the mid 1700's, the story begins in London an
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
Stellar 5*

This is the third book in the Alec Halsey Mystery series and I was again rivetted by Lucinda Brant’s intricately plotted story of murder, foreign political intrigue, danger, suspense and dark family secrets.

In the two previous books, Alec Halsey was always been honourable, intelligent and a man of sound judgement. However, in this book, we discover that, when he was posted to Midanich as a young man to be secretary to diplomat Sir Gilbert Parsons, Alec was a naïve, self-assured, ‘arro
Caz
Another stonking performance from Alex Wyndham in what I think is the best of this series yet - and that's saying something considering how good the two previous books are.

As I'm not writing this review for publication elsewhere and I'm a bit pushed for time, I'm not going into great detail about the audiobook version of this title - you can find my five star review of the book HERE.

But I can't not mention one particular scene in the novel which I was most keen to hear. Those who have read and/o
Marguerite Kaye
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 rounded up - which is a very high one for me and fiction. So yes, I absolutely loved, loved, loved this, the best of the 3 Alec Halsey books so far. There's been some excellent reviews of this already (Wendy and Caz, which I've now permitted myself to read) so I'm not going to go on at length on this one. But highlights:

- Alec is just drop dead sex on legs
- He's even better now we know one of his dark, nasty secrets
- Fantastic setting and history just after the 7 Years War which I know ver
Piper
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was fabulous!!! I loved the story and cannot say enough about the talented narrator, Alex Wyndham. I was surprised to learn of a fourth book, Deadly Kin, that is to follow as well. Bravo to the Lucinda Brant and Alex Wyndham!!!
Lorraine
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all fans of Alec Halsey.
WOW! What an intricate intriguing ending I found in Lucinda Brant’s Deadly Peril (Alec Halsey Mystery Series #3)! This book begins in England, but very quickly the reader finds herself/himself in The Holy Roman Empire during the 1700s. Times are brutal as Alec and his party find themselves in a country at civil war. Luckily, Alec has a gift as a linguist (English, French, Dutch, and German) as he will need all of these to complete this adventure and keep his companions safe. The author takes the ...more
Julie
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I couldn't wait until this came out on audiobook and it didn't disappoint. Deadly Peril continues the Alec Halsey series as we follow him (and the rest of the usual suspects making up the English delegation, that have been in the previous books) to the country of Midanich so he can rescue his best friend, Sir Cosmo and Emily St. Neots. They have been held hostage there - all to lure Alec back to the country where he had been imprisoned 10 years earlier. Alex Wyndham's narration is tops with all ...more
Kiesha ~ 1Cheekylass
AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

Our favorite characters but in a much more deadly situation than in previous books. This book was darker, more emotional but VERY good all the same. I hope that this series never ends!
A.M.
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-books, i-own
April
#3 in the "Alex Halsey Mystery", while can be read as a stand alone, I would recommend reading in order. See, "Deadly Engagement" and "Deadly Affair".
*Most of this story happens abroad, with another country's politics, and Civil War, in play.* Just let me say from the very start... this is a complicated, complex, compelling and powerful tale!!
Fast paced, adventure filled tale, with danger, diplomatic intrigue, dark secrets, family,friendships, intrigue abroad, mystery, suspense with a touch of
Barbara Rogers
WOW -- another one in the series I've read straight through in one sitting!! I am so impressed -- but very sorry that I have to wait until the end of 2017 to get the next book in the series. Yes, you could read this as a stand-alone book, but you'll have a much better experience if you read the entire series in order because the characters grow and become so much more filled out if you read all of the books.

As a young diplomat Alec Halsey was stationed in the small nation of Midanich. His boss w
Beth Haren
Jul 16, 2016 rated it liked it
My favorite so far. I even saw it coming and still felt like it was a fun mystery and intrigue. Some of the court bedsheet bingo is a bit much. Even though I know it happened, the lack of discretion seems a bit over the top. He isn't the Marquis De Sade, he was an English member of the foreign office. Pretty or not, he should have been a bit more careful. It appears the author is making this one into a series. I am looking forward to the next. Hopefully we can drop some of the immature angst now ...more
Rosanne Lortz
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When his best friend Cosmo Mahon and sweet Miss Emily St. Neots are abducted by the Margrave of Midanich, Alec Halsey must return to the continent and confront a past he would rather forget. Sandwiched between the Netherlands and the German principality of Hannover, Midanich is a cold, flat, desolate land, cut in pieces by canals and by the civil war raging between the Margrave and his half-brother Viktor. But the hardships of the journey pale in comparison to the horrors awaiting Alec at the Ma ...more
Vera
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
While I enjoyed the first two books of this series, Deadly Peril disappointed on several levels. First and foremost, this book leaves the mystery genre in favor of action/thriller. That is to say, instead of solving a murder, Halsey is trying to rescue two kidnapped friends before those friends are killed. The author does not handle this genre as well.

There is way to much emphasis on traveling to the conclusion and not enough thought given to the conclusion itself. The "shocking" revelation abou
Silke
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
When two of his closest friends are held captive in a frisian castle. Alec Halsey is not only send on a diplomtic mission to free them, but to face his past in said castle.

Unlike the first and second installment this isn't really a mystery but more of an adventure story with tons of descriptions of what people wear and eat, way too many "Oh I really should tell him/her, but alas I can't because of this and that" moments and some characters (unfortunately especially women) acting rather silly. On
Susan
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
1763 and Alec Halsey's past has finally caught up with him. He is sent on a diplomatic mission to Midanich, to bargain or pay for the release of two of his friends.
While enjoyable (those at times there was too much description) this is not a mystery but a thriller so for me not as interesting as the previous two books.
mary g esposito
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a real zinger!!keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire story!!

I love the whole series! The mystery and romance keep you guessing throughout the entire book. The writing is topnotch!!
gj indieBRAG
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We are proud to announce that DEADLY PERIL (Alec Halsey Mystery #3) by Lucinda Brant is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells readers that this book is well worth their time and money!
Shell
This was a great entry! I can't wait until the next book....hopefully soon?
Rebecca
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
This one was so preposterous plot-wise that it edged into farce.
Sue
4.5, I'm really enjoying this series so far.... author plans to continue it. I'm actually thrilled at the conclusion of this book, Alec's personal life appears to be settled. Takes place about a dozen years before America's war of independence.

Now that Alec is "settled" it means further books in this series will further the mystery/suspense portion of the series. This one definitely covered a lot of "personal" territory, but necessary to get to a more mystery/suspense portion of the series. Eve
Amanda
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, i-own, lucinda-brant
I have emensly enjoyed this series so far! I didn't realize it was continuing. I'm glad it is. I also am glad that your not left off on a huge cliffhanger. Sure parts aren't ginidhed,but it's not so much so that you're left unsatisfied! Can't wait till the next book!
Penny Hampson
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
On the whole I thought this final story about Alec Halsey was well written and obviously thoroughly researched. However, there were times when I found the story dragging, bogged down by descriptive passages and non essential details. I'm all for an author creating a rounded and realistic world for her characters, but at times I felt this was at the expense of the plot.
The plot of this final book was intricate, with a few twists and turns, but the denouement and the final revelations had become
AnnMarie
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Deadly Peril by Lucinda Brant is the third book in her Alec Halsey Mystery Book series. Although I believe the book can be read as a stand alone, it can be enjoyed much more by reading the previous books in the series first.

In this book Alec Halsey is forced to relive part of his past that he wishes forgotten. If he doesn't face his devils then the lives of his good friend Cosmo, and Emily St Neots will be taken. They are being held captive in a country in Europe that is in the midst of a civil

• The Mésalliance (Rockliffe, #2)
  • Scotsman of My Dreams (MacIain, #2)
  • Taming a Savage Gentleman (Taming the Heart, #5)
  • Romancing the Earl (Legendary Rogues, #2)
  • Ghost of the Highlands: Tales of the Isles - 1 (Highland Legends Book 6)
  • She Walks in Power (Protectors of the Spear #1)
  • Pickpocket's Apprentice (John Pickett Mysteries, #0.5)
  • Once a Scoundrel (The Secret Life of Scoundrels, #4)
  • Guarded by the Warrior (Conquered Bride Series Book 5)
  • When a Laird Finds a Lass (A Highland Fairy Tale, #2)
  • One Summer of Surrender (Seasons, #3)
  • Pirate Heiress
  • The Undercover Scoundrel (The Hope Diamond Trilogy, #3)
  • Conquering William (Sir Arthur's Legacy,  #3)
  • Addicted to the Duke (Imperfect Lords, #1)
  • Captain's Captive
  • This Earl is on Fire (Season's Original #2)
  • The Dangerous Duke of Dinnisfree (A Whisper of Scandal #5)
LUCINDA BRANT is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of Georgian historical romances & mysteries. Her novels are described as from 'the Golden Age of romance with a modern voice', and 'heart wrenching drama with a happily ever after'.
Lucinda lives in the 18th Century most days (heaven!). Her guilty pleasure is Pinterest where you can visualize Lucinda's Georgian world & her n

Alec Halsey Mystery (4 books)
  • Deadly Engagement (Alec Halsey Mystery, #1)
  • Deadly Affair (Alec Halsey Mystery, #2)
  • Alec Halsey Mysteries Books 1 - 3 (Alec Halsey Mystery Book 0)