Start by marking “The World of the Golden Compass: The Otherworldly Ride Continues” as Want to Read:
The World of the Golden Compass: The Otherworldly Ride Continues

The World of the Golden Compass: The Otherworldly Ride Continues

Published January 28th 2007 by Borders Group Inc. (first published January 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The World of the Golden Compass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World of the Golden Compass

Start your review of The World of the Golden Compass: The Otherworldly Ride Continues
Marlena
Mar 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Almost every aspect of the His Dark Materials is analyzed in this book, from all different points of view. I learned so much more about Pullman, CS Lewis, JRR Tolkein, the history of the series, the science behind Dust, the different versions of daemons, etc, etc, etc! The authors are some of my favorites, and the essays are the perfect blend of funny and factual. In fact, I may like this book better than the actual series.
Patrick
Jan 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
This is the first and last essay I will ever read. I feel a bit bad for giving it only one star since I'm not a vivid reader of these things, but that doesn't change the fact that it was totally boring, slow to read and made me feel like a psychiatrist was over-analyzing non-existing issues.
meeners
Apr 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
interesting range of essays on HDM, whether it's topic or tone or other things that start with t. (testosterone? thermodynamics? tetchiness?) i would have liked more essays that aren't just justifications, guilty or not, of the author's own personal reactions, but then again it's always illuminating to compare one's own reading experiences to others.

the essays i liked least were the ones that strained too much to link HDM to Other Hot Topics. interesting comparisons can be made, sure, but does
Audrey
Dec 11, 2008 rated it liked it
I'm torn between 2 and 3 stars on this. It really appeals to the part of me that LOVED my literary criticism classes in college. There's a pretty wide variety of topics addressed here, although some of them really had to stretch to make plausible connections between Pullman's trilogy and their topic of choice. Although just about every single one of the authors is a fan of Pullman's work, they didn't hesitate to criticize him for what they saw as faults in his work, nor did they refrain from add ...more
Ryan Mac
Dec 27, 2008 rated it liked it
I'm not sure what I expect to get out of these literary criticism books but I'm just not getting it. This series of essays dissects various aspects of Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. Some of the essays were very interesting and others were totally lame. The essays were primarily written by young adult and fantasy writers.
A
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
My first intro to lit crit babey!!
Anne
Sep 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Very interesting read. I think it was overhyped though
Mari
Nov 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
The adventure begins here.
Jay
Feb 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really like learning about what other people got out of a story, and this collection of essays on the "His Dark Materials" novels had a lot of interesting ideas.
ERIN SCHMIDT
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Not a single bad essay among the lot.
Nathalie
Mar 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Honestly, I got quite bored of essays by the end of this, and I didn't agree with all the opinions of these essayists, but it was good fun for a while :P
Kristinaweena
Jul 31, 2012
Zaffre
Aug 26, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• Hungry Like the Wolf (SWAT, #1)
  • The Unwanteds (Unwanteds, #1)
  • The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories
  • The War of the Worlds
  • Digger the Dinosaur (I Can Read!)
  • Out of Time
  • Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6)
  • Demigods Academy: Year One
  • Demigods Academy - Year Three (Young Adult Supernatural Urban Fantasy)
  • Demigods Academy - Year Two: (Young Adult Supernatural Urban Fantasy)
  • Demigods Academy - Book 4: The Threads Of Life
  • Tiny T. Rex and the Impossible Hug
  • Splat the Cat: I Scream for Ice Cream
  • Mac and Cheese
  • The Tales of Beedle the Bard (Hogwarts Library)
  • 13 Treasures (Thirteen Treasures, #1)
  • Naruto, Vol. 03: Dreams (Naruto, #3)
  • Naruto, Vol. 01: Uzumaki Naruto (Naruto, #1)
Scott Westerfeld is a New York Times bestselling author of YA. He was born in the Texas and now lives in Sydney and New York City. In 2001, Westerfeld married fellow author Justine Larbalestier.

He is best known for the Uglies and Leviathan series. His next book, IMPOSTORS, returns to the world of Uglies. It comes out September 11, 2018.