Start by marking “Murder in Murloo (Dusty Kent Mysteries #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder in Murloo (Dusty Kent Mysteries #1)

Murder in Murloo

(Dusty Kent Mystery Series #1)

When a popular young woman is strangled in her home in the seaside village of Murloo, the residents are sure an itinerant surfer who disappeared after the murder is the killer. However, one year later the surfer is still missing and the killer’s identity remains a mystery.

The victim’s family call in investigative journalist Dusty Kent who has an impeccable record in solv
Published February 20th 2015 by Potoroo Press

To ask other readers questions about Murder in Murloo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in Murloo

Kylie D
Who killed Gabrielle Peters? A year after her murder in a small Victorian country town, her family are still looking for answers. Police are convinced the culprit was an itinerant surfer, who they now can't locate. Other's claim it was her fiancé Heath. Enter Dusty Kent, author and investigative journalist, who grew up in the area. With her new sidekick Sean O'Kelly she's out to find the answers in her own inimitable way.

I really enjoyed this book, from the mercurial Dusty, the characters in the
Carolyn
Aug 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Dusty Kent is an investigative journalist who writes books about cold crimes, teasing out clues missed by the police to solve the crimes. She's young and out-going with a black belt in karate and a gut instinct for finding the truth. Back in her home town of Murloo she has been asked to investigate a murder and write a book by the family of Gabrielle Peters, a popular young woman killed a year ago. The novel is narrated by Sean O'Kelly, an Irish backpacker visiting the area who Dusty takes on to ...more
Phrynne
Nov 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 5000-books
This was a light enjoyable cosy mystery. I was not always comfortable with the idea of an author questioning people like a policeman and getting anwers! I think if anyone other than the police asked me what I was doing between the hours of .. and .. I would give them a very short answer!

Anyway in this book Dusty Kent got her answers and more by luck than judgement she got results. The story was good and the whole thing was very readable. I will probably look up book 2 in due course.
Sharon
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Twelve months ago Gabrielle (Gabby) Peters had been murdered in the town of Murloo. Some people believed that the surfer who went missing not long after was the murderer, but no one knew for certain.

Gabby's parents decided to seek the help of Dusty Kent, who was an investigative journalist and best selling author. They wanted her to compose a book about Gabby's life in the hope to uncover who murdered Gabby. Dusty hires Sean O'Kelly, who specialized in IT. Together they collect information on G
Jenny
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, cozy-mysteries
Murder in Murloo is book one in the Dusty Kent Mysteries series by Brigid George. Investigative journalist Dusty Kent was asked by the family of Gabrielle Peters to investigate her death. Dusty Kent came to Murloo without an assistant and when she realised she needed help she hired Sean O'Kelly backpacker who was looking for work. The readers of Murder in Murloo will continue to follow Brigid George investigation into Gabrielle Peters death to find the killer.

I have not read any of Brigid Georg
Brenda
Sean O’Kelly had only been in Australia for the past three months, out from Ireland, and after working in Sydney for some of that time, decided to travel south into Victoria. The small town of Murloo took his eye and as he relaxed over a cappuccino, he read the local paper, the Claigan Clarion which was published in Claigan, a scant ten kilometres from Murloo. His browsing took him to the story of a young woman, Gabrielle Peters, who had been murdered right here in the town twelve months previou ...more
Lynn Hallbrooks
An Australian modern-day version of Watson and Holmes.

This is an Amateur Sleuth Mystery.

Sean is in between jobs when he meets Dusty. Sean is good with computers, Dusty is a published author who writes about unsolved crimes. They work together on a cold case, a popular local girl whom everyone believed was killed by visiting surfers.

I really enjoyed this story and how Ms. George shares the wonders of Australia interspersed with the unfolding mystery.

Warning: There is adult language and situation
Carol A. Branca
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rollicking good read

It's a mystery right up to the end. Who killed young Gabby? The cast of characters is deep and wide and the author keeps you guessing. Well written and entertaining.
Anne
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first book in the series was very well written. The plot thickened the more I read. I had no idea who "done it" and was pleasantly surprised when the person was correctly arrested. I'll read each book in the series.
Debbie
Aug 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Murloo

Who killed poor Gabrielle Peters and why? Everyone liked her! The list of suspects is few but the police obviously suspect her boyfriend. Interesting characters and a good plot. Brought together with a Hercules Poirot ending-a gathering of suspects!
George
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, mystery, kindle
I really liked reading this murder mystery. Very entertaining
Ute Holmgren
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great read!

5 stars. So enjoyed reading a book that was clean without a steaming romance and foul language. It would even be appropriate for a younger teen.
jean veitch
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Surprise!!!

Great read. Written very well, kept me guessing up to the end. A must read. Hope, everyone will read it.
Lynda Lagodney
Aug 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Australian mystery

This was a pretty good story. I read it all the way to the end so that says something. I would read another in the series.
Karen
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love Dusty Kent

Super b book, Enjoyed it very much and can't wait for the next Dusty Kent mystery with Sean O'Kelly as her sidekick.
Kerrie
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Journalist Dusty Kent is investigating the unsolved murder of Gabby Peters one year after the event, telling everyone she is writing a book. Together with recent arrival from Ireland Sean O'Kelly who is a super "online" hacker and sleuth, she interviews the entire town, trying to find out where everybody was when Gabby was killed. The method produces an overwhelming amount of information including some which the residents did not reveal to the police at the time when they were first interviewed. ...more
Liz Etnyre
Set in Australia and written in the first person voice of Dusty's assistant - which is not my favorite tense, as it seems to lend itself a wee bit more towards tell vs show. Wee bit slow in parts, but a good plot and a clean, enjoyable read none the less. Will likely read #2 sometime soon. 3.5 stars.
Crystal Toller
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Australian Murder

This is the story of Dusty Kent reinvestigating a cold case murder. Dusty meets Sean O'Kelly in Murloo and hires him as her assistant to help her in the investigation of Gabrielle Peters murder. This was a good story with lots of suspects. Highly recommend this book.
Janet
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Exciting mystery

This is the first time that I've read an Australian murder mystery. I'm so glad that I picked this one. It was fun to learn a bit about Australia along the way. I can't wait to read the next book in this series.
Janet Cardillo
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Different perspective

I chose 5 stars because the story read well and had many potential protagonists. I liked the story from the perspective of Dusty s trusty assistant and I also enjoyed her superstitions and her prophecies.
Barb VanderWel
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this & I can't wait for more.
I will be also leaving a review on Goodreads @ Amazon.
And letting everyone know about it.
So i gave it a 5 Stars.
Allyson Abbott
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-pleasure
I really liked this easy to read, sweet, cozy mystery. The characters are well developed and had good interaction with each other. I will definitely be looking out for another one in the series.
Rosa
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, it reminded me a lot of Agatha Christie Whodunits.

The writing style was very enjoyable and I liked the characters and the Australian setting (though, phrases like "We were down in the summer", she said. "January, it was." give me non-Aussie a jolt while reading :D ). The characters all acted very believable, and Dusty Kent solved the mystery because of intelligence, not through stumbling blindly like a good-looking bimbo through live, that was such a relief. And anoth
Em
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, australian
It's OK. It kept me interested, but the plot had some issues (the second murder seemed out-of-character and unnecessary; the ending was too contrived and tried to throw in multiple twists), and the characters weren't very likable. The cover design is incongruous and amateurish, so hopefully that's changed in the future. However, it's a pleasant, easy read if you're interested in an Australian murder mystery.
Paige Bentch-pruitt
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Boring

Glad this was free. Only made it through the first 3 chapters. Not worth time and effort to slog thru this. The author did not give enough to catch my attention on the first page. The premise and main characters were not believable in my opinion, I think this character needs to be retired.
Thomas J Erdmann
Dec 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Agatha Christie ...not

Although it was interesting to have a number of different suspects interviewed for a book I found the basic premise in credulous . People would not reveal private secrets to an author . The setting in Australia was interesting as were the sites and animals however not enough use of the unique setting was made. It was just an okay read.
Etta Mae Westbrook
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable

A well written book and an enjoyable read. The plot was developed well. I was kept in suspense throughout. It seemed with each chapter I changed my mind as to who committed the murder. The conclusion was a surprise.
T. Certain
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great Murder Mystery

Not your normal mystery with spies or politics or conspiracies. This was a fun and fast read. A boat load of suspects and a couple of murders in the Australian outback. Very well written and edited, made this a great read.
Marcia Witherspoon
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good mystery novel

Really good mystery novel. Lots of great characters interesting twists to this story. I enjoyed the way it ended with all the suspects gathered at dinner for the big reveal and the surprises that were also revealed regarding the characters. I would recommend.
Dondria Sharp
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very good

The story line was great. Will read more of Dusty Kent novels! Will also recommend to my friends. Love it!

• Thin Blood
  • Burnt
  • Deserving Death (Detective Ella Marconi, #7)
  • Darkening Skies (Dungirri #3)
  • Last Chance Cafe
  • The Maxwell Sisters
  • Shattered Sky (Border Watch #2)
  • The Esposito Series Books Box Set (Esposito Mysteries #1-3)
  • The Mountains Have a Secret
  • House for all Seasons
  • Our Kind of Love (Boys of Summer, #3)
  • Dressing the Dragon (Dragon Ruins, #2)
  • Daintree (The Porter Sisters #2)
  • The Art of Friendship
  • Looks that Deceive
  • Engulfed

Dusty Kent Mystery Series (4 books)
  • A Devious Mind (Dusty Kent Mysteries #2)
  • Rippling Red (DustyKent Mysteries Book 3)
  • Disguising Demons (Dusty Kent #4)