Start by marking “Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4)” as Want to Read:
Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4)

Queen of Shadows

(Throne of Glass #4)

4.59  ·  Rating details ·  160,804 ratings  ·  17,450 reviews
Sarah J. Maas's New York Times bestselling Throne of Glass series reaches new heights in this sweeping fourth volume.

Everyone Celaena Sardothien loves has been taken from her. But she's at last returned to the empire-for vengeance, to rescue her once-glorious kingdom, and to confront the shadows of her past...

She has embraced her identity as Aelin Galathynius, Queen of Ter
Published September 1st 2015 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Queen of Shadows, please sign up.
Viktoria Winter Rowan and Celaena have, in my own opinion, the best relationship (romantic or otherwise) in the series. When we first met him, I didn’t dislike his…moreRowan and Celaena have, in my own opinion, the best relationship (romantic or otherwise) in the series. When we first met him, I didn’t dislike his character per se, but I was skeptical as to why he behaved the way he did. But then it became glaringly apparent that he and Celaena shared many similar traits and I began to have hope for the two of them together.

I used to ship Celaena with Chaol, but that all changed in the first chapter of the second part of Crown of Midnight. And after the events in Heir of Fire, I’m not entirely sure if they will get back together. And I don’t just mean that because of Rowan. Chaol needs to understand that if he wants to be with Celaena, then he needs to accept every part of her. However, I’m not entirely opposed to them getting back together either. I’d actually love for him to have some major character development in book 4 that will shed some insight for us as to why he was acting the way he was in Heir of Fire.

And although I love Dorian, I only ship his and Celaena’s friendship. I never really saw those two as a romantic pairing. Not only that, but Dorian is the heir to Adarlan and Aelin is the heir to Terrasen. They’re needed in their separate countries. But I have no doubts that when they both take up their thrones, they’ll form a grand alliance.

As for Rowan and Celaena becoming canon, I do believe it’s a possibility. And quite honestly, I’m 100% okay with that. They’re both my BROTP + OTP.

And there are so many reasons supporting a budding romance:

1) They are literally one soul in two bodies. 2) His magic compliments hers just as she balances his. 3) They’re both fae. 4) They understand each other more so than any other characters in the series. 5) Rowan has always seen Celaena as her true self, as Aelin, whereas, her other love interests have only known her to be Celaena— an alias she is ready to leave in the past. 6) Celaena abandoned any possible alliances with her powerful aunt and instead demanded Rowan be released from Meave’s enslavement. 7) Rowan adores her. 8) Celaena believes he’s “cunning, wicked and brilliant.” 9) He is the first member of her court and he will be the first to help her reclaim her throne. 10) Rowan gave Celaena a tattoo identical to his own— something so very personal and intimate. 11) Rowan is the only one who knows everything about Celaena. 12) Rowan’s affections towards her was hinted at when he got disgruntled at her inquiry about dating one of his cadre. Also, when Gavriel muttered “goodlucky, Rowan” after asking Celaena her age. 13) He wants to help her grow into the person she wishes to reclaim. 14) He calls her “fireheart”— an endearment only spoken by those closest to her when she was a child. 15) "To whatever end."
(less)
Sheena I do, and I haven't stopped. I am about half through the book and already I don't like the idea of Rowan and Aelin together. It feels forced, and I…moreI do, and I haven't stopped. I am about half through the book and already I don't like the idea of Rowan and Aelin together. It feels forced, and I honestly think they would have been better had they remained carranam, and best friends with Rowan as her protector and best friend. Making the step to lovers just feels forced.

I like Rowan, don't get me wrong I think he's a good character and a great addition to the series but I don't think she should end up with him. If I'm honest I don't like how Chaol's been written in this book, he's coming off as a whiny bitch and that is worlds away from the Captain we met in the first two books. It seems the author was going to go one way, then came across the 'hot fae prince' and completely changed tack, ruining Chaol along the way.

Chaol challenges Aelin, he doesn't take any of her bullshit and he's always standing up to her. The other men around her seem to worship the ground she walks on, but Chaol can see her as she really is, and he loved her anyway. She just needs to get her head out of her ass and see that. (less)

Yonaily
Sep 12, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my enemies
When my sister told me about an early review that promised really bad things happening to our favorite characters in this installment, I didn't care. I didn't actually think that was true; I trusted SJMAAS. But oh, dear nothing could have prepared me for what I was about to face the moment I picked up this damn book. With this review I'm putting these book down and getting some needed rest. I think we all deserve it after dealing with Aelin and the author's bullshit, am I right?

Now, let's get do
Andreea Pop
“Maybe the world should burn.”

Epicness. That's the only word I can think of to describe Queen of Shadows in order to encompass its complexity and awesomeness, because while I loved Throne of Glass and Crown of Midnight blew my mind away and Heir of Fire broke my heart into teensy tiny pieces, neither of those installments felt as grand as this one -- worlds collided, debts were paid and a queen rose to her glory.

“Let’s go rattle the stars.”

I'm going to start by saying that I've read it twi
Emily May
Many people know how I have felt about the books of this series. That I enjoyed the light, fluffy Throne of Glass. That I absolutely loved Crown of Midnight. That Heir of Fire was a slow, plodding disappointment.

Did I like Queen of Shadows more than its predecessor? Yes.
Do I think it's a fantastic book? No.
Do I think you should read it? Well, it depends. It depends on whether you are committed enough to this series and these characters to read 650 pages of just okay.

This book is loooonnnng. I t
Wendy Darling

Hey! I made a set of 10 QUEEN OF SHADOWS DIY tattoos you can download for free here: http://www.themidnightgarden.net/2015...

There is a giveaway for 2 QOS tote bags + books as well.

Kim and I will also be doing a joint review discussion on the blog soon. I'm refraining from responding to further comments on this review space for the time being while I collect my thoughts, but I thank you guys so much for the discussion and passion for these books, and look forward to continuing later. See you ba
ly
Dec 12, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my enemies
Recommended to ly by: satan
Shelves: 2015
Updated: September 30th.

This is my opinion, my review and if you don't like it, I don't care.

#CHAOLWESTFALLDEFENSESQUAD

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I FEEL BETRAYED.

At first, I wanted to write a long, very long review about Queen of Fanfiction but then i tought Why sould I waste my time? It's not worth it. This thing.. i call it "thing" because for me QoS is not a book, it's a very poorly written fanfiction.

CONGRATULATIONS SJM FOR RUINING A GREAT
Kat O'Keeffe
SPOILERY BOOK DISCUSSION HERE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_GL7...

THIS WAS ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING I WANTED AND NEVER KNEW I NEEDED. THANK YOU SARAH FOR THIS PERFECT BEAUTIFUL BOOK.

Here are some of my spoiler-free impressions:

DORIAN. PRECIOUS CINNAMON ROLL. I CAN'T.

AELIN. QUEEN OF SHADOWS. MORE LIKE QUEEN OF SLAYING YASSSSS GET IT GIRL.

ROWAN. i'M SCREAMING.

CHAOL. MORE SCREAMING.

AEDION!!! LYSANDRA!!! MANON!!! AROBYNN!!!!!!!!!

I had about twelve heart attacks while reading this book. IT WAS AWE
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
BRB CRYING FOREVER. This book was a wild ride! While I loved this book, I did feel like the characterization within this book was a bit off. That's the main reason I didn't give this 5 stars. Other than that I was thoroughly happy with what went down in this story, even if certain things didn't go the way I wanted them to. GIVE ME BOOK 5 NOW. K THANKS.
Sasha Alsberg
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SO GOOD.
SO FREAKING GOOD.
NOT JUST GOOD BUT GREAT.
GAHHHHHHHHH
P.E.R.F.E.C.T.I.O.N

I read Queen of Shadows back in June but could not say anything about it (not even that I had it!). But now I can and let me tell you, Sarah has done it again! I LOVED QoS, so beautiful, bloody and outstanding. OH and...ROWAN...SWOON!!!

5/5 stars of course!
Nick
YOU FREAKING PERFECT PIECE OF LITERATURE.DEFINITELY THE BEST BOOK I HAVE READ SO FAR IN MY LIFE.
Christine Riccio
QUEEN OF SHADOWS WAS AMAZING. I LOVED IT. CAN NOT WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE HERE'S MY EXTREMELY FANGIRLY BOOKTALK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSSKo... LET'S TALK ABOUT IT MORE PLEASE
Regan
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my god. Perfection.
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
Post-reading: WOW. No words for this book. 95% love for this book, but the first 300 pages had issues I can't deny. But overall I just love love love how the plot developed!

Full review:

Check out my review @ A Perfection Called Books

**Spoilers from previous books. Slight QoS spoilers about romance.

Throne of Glass has been one of my favorite series for a few years now, so I've been impatiently waiting for Queen of Shadows and building the expectations to the highest degree. The fourth installment
Katerina
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“But she was her own champion now.”

Brutal and magnificent. A force of nature. How else can I describe a book about witches, demons and dark lords, fae queens and warriors, possessed princes, rebels and whores?
Queen of Shadows deserves more than 5 stars. Queen of Shadows rattles the stars.

“She was a whirling cloud of death, a queen of shadows, and these men were already carrion.”

The fire-breathing bitch-queen is back. Ready to gather her court, claim her throne and wreck havoc to those wh
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”When you shatter the chains of this world and forge the next, remember that art is as vital as food to a kingdom. Without it, a kingdom is nothing, and will be forgotten by time.”

If you read any of my updates I’m sure you’ll already know how I feel about this book. To say it was better than its predecessors would probably be the understatement of the century so all I’ll say is that Sarah once again surpassed herself. <3

There were so many new characters that got introduced during the book and
Maggi
Nov 27, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: full-review
01/28/16 Everyone is lowering their 2-stars rating to one star, and tbh I completely agree, this is not worth two stars.

***

times I broke down and cried: 5
times I screamed and cussed at the book: 38
fucks I give about this series right now: 0

Let’s start this review a bit different. Let’s think of an alternative title for it… how about… I don’t know… "HOW TO RUIN A CHARACTER AND HIS DEVELOPMENT THROUGH 3 MOTHERFUCKING BOOKS IN ONE BOOK". Yep, that fits perfectly!

This is not a proper review, it’s
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
This one takes a close 2nd to Crown of Midnight as my favourite in the series. So so SO good!
Kiki
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Claudia Ramírez
Jun 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
3.5 stars...

Okay okay okay so... THIS BOOK. I'm so conflicted, I hated half of the things that happened but loved the other half! I was going to let myself give it 5 stars just for the AWESOME ending (overall the whole second part of the book was AMAZING), but the first part was unbearable! I believe it took me one week to finish it, while the second part I read it only in one day because OMGITWASSOAMAZING and I couldn't stop. BUT YES, the first part: BORING and ANNOYING. There are so many pages
Warda
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 4th reread and each reread solidifies my love for this series even more. It still has the ability to make me feel everything. Each characters struggle in this book, this series, is poignant and relevant and relatable and the way all of their storylines have beautifully intertwined is pure magic.
The friendships formed warm my heart. The females especially were incredible.
Sarah J Maas has created pure magic.
I’m going to love these books to whatever end.

Original review!
Reread. Crying. Magnif
Giovanna
Oct 06, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-unhaul
Edit: I've been wondering about these two stars. So...changing it to 1. Maas just sticks to her pattern of making characters OOC and Manon isn't enough to redeem this...thing. I can't even call it a book anymore.

*if you comment please be civil. I've already had enough bad discussions about this and my patience has a limit. I've already seen enough of "why are they complaining, QoS is perfect." Everyone can have their own opinion, please respect it. If you liked the book and you want to discuss
Angela
"Do you think monsters are born or made?"

I just... I just... I can't... I just don't know what to say. Celaena is coming for everything they said she couldn't have. Game of Thrones meets Batman. That's what the Throne of Glass series is... and yes it's as epic as that sounds. Sarah J. does it again. Another stunning build of a book. This review is going to be so hard to write. I want to gush. I want to scream. I want to rage about this book, but can't because *sigh* spoilers. As much as I wan
Lyanna (I need a Herondale in life)
UPDATE (08/14/15): QUEEN OF SHADOWS IS HALF A MONTH AWAY, I REPEAT, QUEEN OF SHADOWS IS HALF A MONTH AWAY!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE (1/23/15): Aaaand we can finally stop calling it Throne of Glass 4 and start calling it

Want to be updated on everything Throne of Glass?
Visit the Throne of Glass fansite!

It's not a trilogy?!

EVEN BETTER

Now for the long, long, long wait:

[paces around the room]
[sits down]
[checks watch]
[stands up]
[paces around the room]

I JUST NEED MORE OF ROWAN OKAY.

Miranda Reads
I am so impressed with this series.
She was fire, and light, and ash, and embers. She was Aelin Fireheart, and she bowed for no one and nothing, save the crown that was hers by blood and survival and triumph.
I honestly cannot remember the last time when a series was so consistently good. It's the fourth book and yet the story and the characters feel as fresh as the first.

Aelin Galathynius has returned and her life as Celaena Sardothien is a part of the past - or so she thought. Aelin must spen
Ben Alderson
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
can i give this one million stars.

\pins[gjanbsf;igu[iUWRBNG[aiounfwdpvaoiunsfpgiubs[FUVB

the ending
]odifnailsjfbga
s;ifubg;iausbnfg[iousnDG[OUABNFOIUASNDG

THE CLOCK TOWER
LSIDUFGpsbnr[fiuns[DIUGNAIUGNpsiungpaisubg

THE FIREEEEEE
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Re-read on audio. Still awesome and still loving the narrator of the books ❤

MIND BLOWN

Sooooooooooooo, I loved this book! I was a little iffy there because I wasn't sure if Rowan was going to be in it but it's all good :-)

Celaena/Aelin has returned to Rifthold. She's trying to sneak in undercover. She has a little bit of a different look for a bit.

A little bit of hair dye goes a long way, but most people knows who she is. She is back to save her cousin and do what she needs to do to get rid of
Val Shameless ⚓️ Steamy Reads ⚓️
4.5 Stars

Definitely my favorite in the series so far...which surprised me what with how long it was and how long it took me to read it. I usually finish books I am loving within a day or two and this one took me almost a week. But, life happens and I haven't had as much time to dedicate to reading these days.

Anyway, that's besides the point and interesting to, well, no one.

Moving on.

I really loved all the character interactions and dynamics going on in this installment. I just love epic fanta
Serena (The Book Comedian)
FIRST YOU MAKE CELAENA LEAVE CHAOL AND NOW YOU MAKE HER LEAVE ROWAN?! Why don't you just take my first born baby.

When Rowan was first introduced in the book I was like uh NONONO, I DON'T THINK SO, THIS FRIENDSHIP BETTER STAY PLATONIC

-but by the end of the book I was like YESYESYES SHE MUST HAVE ROWAN

and THEN the author kept emphasizing how they were JUST FRIENDS.

SARAH WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME, YOU SET ME UP- Making me slowly like Rowan and then just TAKING IT ALL AWAY T_T

I hope this situati
Khurram
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. The books in this series just seem to get bigger and better. This book is 600 + pages but every page is good and well done. My only complaint is that I would have like more details about the fights more blow for blow account not that "they were already carrion, when she drew her blades". True this would probably take the page count well into the 1000s but I would not mind if it was a well written as the rest of the book. I have always been a fan of Sarah J Maas' "chunking" wri ...more
C.G. Drews
*** NO SPOILERS! *** Although may contain spoilers for first 3 books.

AGH. HOW DO I REVIEW THIS?!?! HOW. JUST. HOW. But do you know the reason I'm gnashing and flopping like an electric eel? I'm not happy with this book. I am a wild wild fan of the first 2 books and the novellas. Like, WILD FAN. Like I hyperventialte when someone says Crown of Midnight because I think it's the best thing the world has ever invented. But I started losing my enthusiasm in Heir of Fire and now? Queen of Shadows? I'm
Steph Sinclair
By far, the best book in the series yet. Review to come.
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • The Winner's Crime (The Winner's Trilogy, #2)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Frozen Tides (Falling Kingdoms, #4)
  • Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)
  • The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)
  • Siege and Storm (Grisha Verse, #2)
  • Hidden Huntress (The Malediction Trilogy, #2)
  • Empire of Night (Age of Legends, #2)
  • Burn (The Rephaim, #4)
  • The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4)
  • The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse, #2)
  • Endsinger (The Lotus Wars, #3)
  • Taste of Darkness (Healer, #3)
  • Lion Heart (Scarlet, #3)
  • The Rose Society (The Young Elites, #2)
  • Volcrian's Hunt (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #3)
  • Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4)
Sarah J. Maas is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Throne of Glass series (Queen of Shadows, Book 4, will be out in September 2015), as well as the A Court of Thorns and Roses series (out 5/5/15).

Sarah lives in Bucks County, PA, and over the years, she has developed an unhealthy appreciation for Disney movies and bad pop music. She adores fairy tales and ballet, drinks too

Throne of Glass (7 books)
  • Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
  • Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
  • Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3)
  • Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5)
  • Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, #6)
  • Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass, #7)
“Fire-breathing bitch-queen.” 1591 likes